• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
SONY is buying studios that are in great shape, with the exception of Haven.
MS are buying big publishers un trouble.

That's why I said in the past I was surprised MS haven't bought them yet. The only explanation was Guillemot (fuck Guillemot) didn't want to sell. The other reason is Ubi is doing lots of things outside of video games.

Sony cutting edge with Quantic Dream after scandal, calling out Activision. I really can't see them buying such a toxic shit show.
yeah I agree...I would say From/Capcom/SE are kinda it for any known game devs. the rest will just be studios they already work with, I think Arrowhead is next up. Capcom/SE are the only big buys I see Sony making and perhaps SEGA if the companies find it mutually beneficial. Other than that, I think if you want to have your IP resonate like Nintendo, you just have to put the time in. God of War had a successful reboot, Gran Turisimo is evergreen. I think Uncharted is proving itself to be evergreen. You have gameplay masters in Housemarque. So yeah, I see Sony trying to grow their own IP instead of potentially wasting billion on a pub acquisition that doesn't work out. If you go SEGA/Capcom/SE you get IP that are already evergreen, so you just need a passionate team to make compelling content. But again, outside of the Japanese companies working together assumption, I just don't think any big players are left that Sony would spend big money on. Take Two/EA would counter Activision, but it's impossible to know if that'll be worth it or not. I don't think so...

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I guess it is a factor of how the game factors into your life. I don't have a wife and kid, and I was 17 when UC1 was released and when I played it. Some people connect with the relationship aspect of Nate and Elena, but for me I loved the imposter syndrome critique presented in UC3. UC4 really went out of its way to negate the emotional pay off that I loved about UC3, and I just didn't care for Drake's retcon in terms of his origins and motivations.

I dont think the ending of UC3 is incomplete, to me it's just the promise of more to come that we won't see. It really was like the ending of The Last Crusade and I loved the illusion to the world continuing beyond what we can see. I like that these characters are going off on more adventures that we might not necessarily see, the arc Drake began in UC3 was complete and what came next was open to the imagination.

Yeah, that's understandable. People take away different things from these games, and I think that's what makes video games so fascinating to me, and largely what pushed me into a career in this industry! The interactive aspect of video games adds something to the experience that films and television aren't able to do.

As for Drake, it's been a while since I played UC3, but I definitely loved it, and enjoyed what they did with his arc in that game, but I also enjoyed what they did with his arc in 4. It didn't feel like a negation of that arc in 3, but a follow through of where that arc would take him a few more years down the line, after he had settled into the life it was implied he was embarking on with Elena at the end of 3.

I'm either case, the Uncharted series has been one of the most consistently excellent series of the past decade or so, so I'm always excited for more entries in the series.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
man you gotta chill fam...lol

We get it, but it's not some univerally accepted fact that BP's art style is inferior, in fact, I would bet that's the minority opinion to most people who experienced both games. DeS remake in particuarly I don't think there's a single thing I liked better in the original PS3 game. I'm sure BP would nail Ico, since its a much simplier experience and has a ton of art work with boy and Yorda's features highlighted. It's my favorite game of all time next to FF7, so I would love it!
Just stating my opinion. It's not an objective fact that everything in the remake is automatically better because it's newer and technologically superior either, and my viewpoint on it isn't fringe or uncommon. I'm sorry if you don't agree with it.

art-eater.com

Art Eater | What the PS5 Demon's Souls Remake Reflects About

Some quick thoughts on the Demon’s Souls Remaster, specifically on the Vanguard Demon and what it reflects of “Eastern” vs “Western”…

I did feel like the dark and otherworldly atmosphere of the original game was missing in the remake. One thing that's certain is that the bright colours and common Gothic fantasy architecture (Miyazaki used real world influences when developing the original), and the way that certain characters/creatures were redesigned (such as making the Fat Officials pointlessly grotesque) goes against the design philosophy of the original game:

zO6CcDq.jpg

Shadows of the Colossus was more faithful, but I think the few creative licenses that Bluepoint took with its art direction weren't for the better, such as the overly warm colour saturation and the removal of fog/mist for longer draw distances, as well as the main character's design.

I have no disrespect for Bluepoint, their work is impressive and the Demon's Souls is a definite improvement over the original in terms of gameplay, graphics, and technology. But art direction isn't their strongest quality and I feel like that's an under-appreciated aspect of gaming. (Preservation of older video games is also a strong concern of mine, so I tend to be more vocal about stuff like that, maybe moreso than I realise sometimes)

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I just realized that I can check my PS3 trophies on the PS5 (when I go to profile -> Trophies). Was it always that way or is it a new feature?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they go hard on all the classics. It's a huge draw for the hardcore. Especially games that are too damn expensive. I pray for Valkyrie Profile. I think this initiative is going to be more successful than many think.
Yup, especially with the advantage their extended past gives them such as PS1 and PS2, so many beloved games came out only there.

man you gotta chill fam...lol

We get it, but it's not some univerally accepted fact that BP's art style is inferior, in fact, I would bet that's the minority opinion to most people who experienced both games. DeS remake in particuarly I don't think there's a single thing I liked better in the original PS3 game. I'm sure BP would nail Ico, since its a much simplier experience and has a ton of art work with boy and Yorda's features highlighted. It's my favorite game of all time next to FF7, so I would love it!
This.
It's fine if some prefer the originals, but I think BP did a fantastic job capturing the art style in much higher fidelity.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics are such a boring topic to talk about. People are never going to meet in the middle on this particular line of discussion.

Oct 27, 2017
People will say graphics don't matter but then something like Valkyrie Elysium gets revealed and all anyone can do is talk about how ugly it is lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
People will say graphics don't matter but then something like Valkyrie Elysium gets revealed and all anyone can do is talk about how ugly it is lol

I mean for me the graphics do suck, but the more important part of Valkyrie Elysium sucking is the fact that it's yet another shitty mashy hack and slash action game. A complete waste of the Valkyrie IP.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested in Elysium for what it means for the franchise. I hope the visual can be improved. I really VP 1 and 2 looked good for what they were at the time. But I hope this does well. I'd love to see the first two games get remastered or appear on Spartacus.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think there is a base line where it doesn't matter. Of course if something looks outright bad, it will get called out. If something looks average, no one will care. I think this line moves depending on what community you're talking about. Home console owners are probably more picky about graphics than say Switch owners.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
jfc you guys still going on about this?

bring back the acquisition talks #teamM&Aismorefuntotalkabout At least that topic has a wide range of things to talk about

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
You're the only one I see being so defensive. Even a few weeks ago I recall you acting this way. Like, who fucking cares lol
In both instances, I posted my opinion and got swarmed with condescending responses that basically boiled down to "Nope. You're wrong lmao." At one point, I was called a "weirdo" for posting a comparison and someone even put words in my mouth by saying that I said the remake was "unplayable" for some reason, which was straight up never said. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened to SoulsHunt even before that.

Like, no. Stating an opinion isn't acting any of way, some of you just don't like the opinion.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
or we could play guessing at least 20 games that will be in new plus

Hmm. I'll start with PS1 games that I think will be no brainers

Syphon Filter 1, 2, and 3
Alundra 1 and 2
Ape Escape
Legend of Dragoon
Jumping Flash 1 and 2
Colony Wars 1, 2, and 3
wipEout
Twisted Metal 1, 2, and 3
WildARMS
Legend of Legaia
Gran Turismo 1 & 2

I stuck with First Party titles for this list because I think that those have a better chance of being included in the initial lineup due to possibly having the least amount of legal hurdles to navigate for Sony.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
In both instances, I posted my opinion and got swarmed with condescending responses that basically boiled down to "Nope. You're wrong lmao." At one point, I was called a "weirdo" for posting a comparison and someone even put words in my mouth by saying that I said the remake was "unplayable" for some reason, which was straight up never said. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened to SoulsHunt even before that.

Like, no. Stating an opinion isn't acting any of way, some of you just don't like the opinion.
Again, who cares. Just ignore it.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I really do hope we can buy games and without a sub.

I don't want these games to be lost to time.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen some say that the games being rerated seems to point toward that. The games on NSO, which is just a streaming platform, aren't being rerated.
Indeed. I don't remember NSO games being rated at all.

God, just imagining all the games I would buy. I will definitely need to get at least a 1TB SSD, most likely 2TB.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
DeS remake >>>>> original

Anyways while ubisoft has a lot of employees whoever buys them are going to get a shitton of great ips - Assasins Creed, Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia etc.. Honestly a lot of these games are in Sonys wheelhouse but yeah it's too big a pub for Sony.

Capcom would make far more sense.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Can we just talk about acquisitions again? That's at least kinda fun
They really need some VR studios if they are serious about VR. If London is not working on one (assuming from the job descriptions), were left with just Asobi (assuming they make a sequel to Rescue Mission) and Firesprite (Horizon VR) so far. I could see Insomniac, Pixelopus and MM working on VR and Polyphony will probably drop a VR Mode for GT7. Aside from those I can't see any other first party working on VR only titles. Maybe VR hybrids will change things, so we'll have to wait and see.

I would love to see Sony Acquire Polyarc (Moss), Camouflaj (Iron Man VR) and First Contact (Firewall), just so they can have VR set of studios while the rest can work on normal PS5 titles.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Sony finds a way and gets RE4VR on PSVR2.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna happen since the development was paid for by Meta. Best we'll probably get is RE Village and DLC in VR (maybe even an Ethan Winters Collection with RE7 Gold VR and the next gen patch for PSVR2).

EDIT: But if both R* and Capcom are taking Meta money for VR projects, this kinda bodes well for Sony. An easy win for them would be to pay and make GTA V or RDR2 compatible with PSVR2. Same goes for the RE Remakes, I wouldn't mind playing RE2 in VR.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna happen since the development was paid for by Meta. Best we'll probably get is RE Village and DLC in VR (maybe even an Ethan Winters Collection with RE7 Gold VR and the next gen patch for PSVR2).

EDIT: But if both R* and Capcom are taking Meta money for VR projects, this kinda bodes well for Sony. An easy win for them would be to pay and make GTA V or RDR2 compatible with PSVR2. Same goes for the RE Remakes, I wouldn't mind playing RE2 in VR.
Money always find a way.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I just wanna say too, that Ubisoft wouldn't be a good aquisition for SIE.

It'll likely suck if that private equity does get Ubisoft and does a major reorganization, which hopefully they'll piecemeal offer the unwanted Studios/IPs instead of massive layoffs & cancelations. From there, I could see SIE bidding on Ubisoft's GaaS, VR or Support Studios.

They'll probably secure the next best version.

RE4 Remake with PSVR2 compatibility.

Oct 25, 2017
It just hit that Elder Scrolls and Fallout future titles may never come to PlayStation consoles ever. I love those franchises so much and prefer to play them on a system where all of my friends are at. 😭

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
PS3 game prices is starting to get insane.
Going to bite the bullet and just pay 60 euros for 3D Dot Game Heroes, before the price goes even higher

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 game prices is starting to get insane.
Going to bite the bullet and just pay 60 euros for 3D Dot Game Heroes, before the price goes even higher
They do? All my games are still worth shit.

Hopefully they get pricier later down the road when I sell them lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.