• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's interesting that people talk about September being "the big showcase", neither the 2020 or 2021 September Showcases, arguably even combined were as big as the 2020 June showcase.

To be fair, when you unveil a new console you want to shoot as many bullets as possible so the June 2020 showcase will probably be hard for Sony to top, regardless of what month they choose to announce stuff.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

FTH7k0EUcAAIX1i

FTH7q4EVEAAjoLg
Downgrade already? Damn :(
for legal purposes this is a joke

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Grubb says he heard that Sony wanted to show the PSVR2 substantially very soon and this maybe the show he heard in early June

I wonder if they are going to call it "Future of Gaming" assuming PSVR2 is there, instead of the usual "State of Play" or "PlayStation Showcase".

IIRC John Harker mentioned last year that Sony at one point was considering calling the september show FoG instead of what we got (PS showcase).

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
I wonder if they are going to call it "Future of Gaming" assuming PSVR2 is there, instead of the usual "State of Play" or "PlayStation Showcase".

IIRC John Harker mentioned last year that Sony at one point was considering calling the september show FoG instead of what we got (PS showcase).
I thonk they will just call it PSVR2 showcase if it's just PSVR and if it's more then playstation showcase

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I honestly thought the June 2020 left a bit to be desired. The September one was better as it showed more gameplay and revealed FF XVI, a certain big game and GoW (even if it was a logo). Pretty hefty.

And last year's Showcase was a bit whatever imo.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I thonk they will just call it PSVR2 showcase if it's just PSVR and if it's more then playstation showcase

I hope it's not a show fully dedicated to PSVR2, that would be kinda boring and I bet they wouldn't get nearly as many views as if they did a general one.

I honestly thought the June 2020 left a bit to be desired. The September one was better as it showed more gameplay and revealed FF XVI, a certain big game and GoW (even if it was a logo). Pretty hefty.

And last year's Showcase was a bit whatever imo.

June was a bunch of small trailers from 1st party, 3rd party and indies alike. I think the main objective was to show PS5 would have diversity and be supported by all kinds of devs.

September was great. Last year was whatever like you said, only the last part was truly good.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I hope it's not a show fully dedicated to PSVR2, that would be kinda boring and I bet they wouldn't get nearly as many views as if they did a general one.

June was a bunch of small trailers from 1st party, 3rd party and indies alike. I think the main objective was to show PS5 would have diversity and be supported by all kinds of devs.

September was great. Last year was whatever like you said, only the last part was truly good.
Oh, yeah. It did its job. I honestly kinda liked getting two big-ish events. And yeah, last year, the game that left more of an impression in me was Wolverine, but that was such a short teaser for a game that's not coming out until, idk, 2024. And, of course, GoW.

Whatever they do this year will be better by default, as things are lining up and there's a variety of big projects that should be getting unveiled soon enough.

Honestly, they could just show FF XVI for two minutes, end the stream, and I'd already consider it the best thing they've done in years :P

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, yeah. It did its job. I honestly kinda liked getting two big-ish events. And yeah, last year, the game that left more of an impression in me was Wolverine, but that was such a short teaser for a game that's not coming out until, idk, 2024. And, of course, GoW.

Whatever they do this year will be better by default, as things are lining up and there's a variety of big projects that should be getting unveiled soon enough.

Honestly, they could just show FF XVI for two minutes, end the stream, and I'd already consider it the best thing they've done in years :P

At least we know for sure Deathloop won't get another trailer again 😅

And I know the feeling about FFXVI, I need that trailer. First was so hype.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
How dare you
But yeah if they merge them they will get a lot of view but people will start complaining so I think it's better to separate them so it won't have a lot of negativity

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wish more games do that as i sometimes have to go closer to the tv just to read stuff

It's absolutely frustrating how many times I've had to use the PS5's zoom in feature to read the text on the scream.

Like, we've been gaming in this HD era for over a decade now. There's no excuse for developers to not include text scaling options for their entire game (and not just subtitles, but any game where you have some kind of data log, or menus with lots of text).

Not everyone sits two feet away from their screens, people. Man, it's one of my biggest pet peeves of modern gaming.

The worst is definitely when it's something like an RPG with lots and lots of extra stuff to read (I'm thinking of Elden Ring and Horizon: Forbidden West, which has a LOT of scrolls and data logs to read; the font size isn't actually too bad in those two, but a few options to increase the text size would have been nice regardless). It's even crazier, because I have a 50" 4KTV. No reason for me to have to use the zoom in function to read text on certain games!

The easiest way to get me to ignore all of that wonderful lore you've written for your game is to make text for ants.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
...she's then blessed/cursed with knowledge of the calamity that is facing the world, and she tries to warn and help, but no one wants to fucking listen. She's surrounded by people that are so entrenched in their various dogmas that they aren't willing to even consider that what she's telling them, and even showing them, is worth taking seriously.
This is a great allegory on our climate crisis, also reminds me of the frustration of the characters in Don't Look Up.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely frustrating how many times I've had to use the PS5's zoom in feature to read the text on the scream.

Yeah, it's one of those things that's gotten better but still a long way to go. I'm not a big fan of massive loads of text for lore anyway, I skim over it if it's non-essential. I appreciate lore when it's delivered in far more interesting ways, like a cutscene or lines of dialogue.

But at least text in a game was never as bad as this Sony title

Tgbm-315.jpg

Try to figure out what the options below "continue" are. This is what happened to the majority of users who did not own a HD TV in the PS2 era.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Finally pulled my proverbial thumb out:

FTJhKSrUUBAjI5v

I had been sitting on about 10 collectibles left for ages.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I hope we get some freaky practical effects and animatronics from the Clickers and Stalkers in the HBO series. That's one of the things I liked about Dawn of the Dead (2004) and the original George Romero films compared to modern zombie films; how much more creative they were with the make-up.

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
You compared TLOU sales to Mario to proof a point about "ND games not selling as good as Platformers", when the game you chose is literally the exception.

Crash collection was a 40€ Remake of a beloved series, Crash 4 sales where mild at best. There is no other Platformer on the market that does 10+ Million numbers, even Kirby, another big Platformer IP sold "just" 2 Millions in two weeks. TLOU 2 sold 4 Million in it's release weekend.

There is a market for platformers, and Sony has studios working on Platformers. ND went from a good Sony studio, to one of the best studios on the gaming business when transiotioning from Platformers to TPS. I can't see them ever going back.
A lot of that is self defeat. They threw puppeteer and sly 4 out to die on PS3 when everyone was thinking about PS4 and then put Sackboy out with little fanfare amidst a sea of PS5 launch titles. If they get a big studio on a new 3d platformer and give it its own window I could see them making a huge splash. The genre is hungry for a newcomer that's actually a big game and not a smaller AA title.

Also I loved crash collection but damn that latest game was one of the most infuriating releases in recent years. I didn't even finish it and crash 3 is one of my favorite games ever. Disgusting drop in quality from the ND games

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With Sony doing third party deals for things like FF16, Forspoken, KOTOR Remake, prolly a Silent Hill game, and likely FF7 Remake pt. 2, I wonder what else they may have going on behind the scenes for deals.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
All this talk about Naughty Dog and TLOU really makes me crave a documentary about the development of part 2. Loved the one for TLOU and obviously the GOW doc.

Same. The Grounded documentary was so good, and I'd love it if they had one for TLOU2. Hell, even just a round table discussion with the devs about the development of the game would be fascinating for me!

I absolutely love this new push in games to improve accessibility for more players.

I've mentioned it before, but one of the things I'd love to see is if we could get some sort of standardized tools to use when designing our games. Not all studios have the resources to devote to the level of accessibility we're seeing from ND, IG, SSM, and GG, so if there were some tools created that allowed for some base level automation of accessibility functions, while also being granular enough to be customized on a project to project basis, it'd be a big boon to the industry as a whole.

Gaming is for everyone, and being able to expand the reach to more players, and allowing them to participate in this hobby that so many of us are passionate about is worth whatever time/resources/budget needed to make that happen for them.

I know the last two or so years have really opened my eyes as a designer when it comes to accessibility and my thinking surrounding it.

This is a great allegory on our climate crisis, also reminds me of the frustration of the characters in Don't Look Up.

It really is, and is one of the reasons why I dig the story of Forbidden West so much, and why I don't really understand some of the hate the narrative gets. For me, I feel like it has a lot more to say compared to the first one (and I love the story of the first; one of my favorite narratives of the PS4 generation), but I'm always up for a good environmental story, and the world building and cast of characters in Forbidden West are so strong that, so far in my progress in the narrative (I think I'm about halfway through), I'm enjoying the game more than the first in all areas.

Yeah, it's one of those things that's gotten better but still a long way to go. I'm not a big fan of massive loads of text for lore anyway, I skim over it if it's non-essential. I appreciate lore when it's delivered in far more interesting ways, like a cutscene or lines of dialogue.

But at least text in a game was never as bad as this Sony title

Tgbm-315.jpg

Try to figure out what the options below "continue" are. This is what happened to the majority of users who did not own a HD TV in the PS2 era.

Good lord, that's just atrocious lol

I didn't own an HDTV during the PS2 era, so I felt that pain, but it seems like it's a lot worse now. As a former QA Tester, I know that you're largely sitting just a few feet from your TV at your desk, so it may be easy to overlook overly small text, but we seriously need to start considering the fact that not everyone sits that close to their screens, and even on larger TVs, the text is still way too damn small!

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Wait... how do I use this feature? Wouldve come in handy a few times instead of getting up from my couch to then stand a foot away from my TV looking like an idiot.

Same, haha. I have to get up, walk over and lean my head near into the TV on some games, especially if they have the dreaded small text/white font against an already whitish background.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Wait... how do I use this feature? Wouldve come in handy a few times instead of getting up from my couch to then stand a foot away from my TV looking like an idiot.

If you hold the PS Logo button, and the Square Button, it will cause the screen to zoom. You can press that combination again up to, I believe 3 times zoom. It's really, really handy! When it's zoomed in, you can use the left analog stick to scroll around the zoomed in screen.

In completely unrelated news, I broke down and bought Ghostwire Tokyo on PS5 during the last sale it was on, and while I'm super early in the game, I'm really liking the atmosphere and style.

It reminds me a lot of a PS2 era game, and I mean that in a good way. It's also reminding me of a specific game I can't quite put my finger on. Something like a Shin Megami Tensei game, but not exactly that. It does feel like a Sega published game though, if that makes sense.

I just think it's refreshing in a market obsessed with super mega ultra deluxe eye-searingly spectacular blockbusters. I hope I have more time to dive into it later.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I just hope the work of adding trophies doesn't hamper the variety of games we get, as it seemed it might have with the ps2 games on PS4.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With save states coming to legacy games I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope Sony are also going to be using save states for PS4/PS5 games as well. That way a games save state where you left off could be dumped into a file maybe around the size of a save game file and the ultra fast SSD could restore the save state in a couple seconds. It'd be cool to be able to share save states with friends or even post them online and download other peoples save states.

Status
Not open for further replies.