• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
With the patch (finally!) out, I've continued cleaning up in GRIME and am almost done. If you have any interest in metroidvanias whatsoever, you owe it to yourself to play this game! It's by far the best metroidvania game since Hollow Knight.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
With the patch (finally!) out, I've continued cleaning up in GRIME and am almost done. If you have any interest in metroidvanias whatsoever, you owe it to yourself to play this game! It's by far the best metroidvania game since Hollow Knight.
Weirdly the patch unlocked an ending trophy for me when I booted it up yesterday, which was weird.
Not sure what the patch does, but performance seems a bit better, still not a locked 60FPS mind you, but most areas feel a bit better.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Weirdly the patch unlocked an ending trophy for me when I booted it up yesterday, which was weird.
Not sure what the patch does, but performance seems a bit better, still not a locked 60FPS mind you, but most areas feel a bit better.

Yeah, performance is not perfect (a throwback to the shitty Unity days) but it's decent enough and doesn't really get in the way. I also had the trophy for one of the endings randomly unlock, lol. Fine by me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, performance is not perfect (a throwback to the shitty Unity days) but it's decent enough and doesn't really get in the way. I also had the trophy for one of the endings randomly unlock, lol. Fine by me.
Yeah, definitely sounds like one of those Unity related issues that Ive heard so much about! But I had a save around the "problem FPS" area and I re-ran that briefly yesterday and its definitely better. Pity it cant be perfect (yet) but Im glad they did manage to at least partially fix it, will make the game feel better to play no doubt. Its a unique concept in terms of having a parry/counter focused metroidvania, which I really enjoy.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I mean games like TLoU2 and GoWR budget are probably well past 100mil too

Absolutely, and i wager even more.

AAA games by the end of the PS3 era were hoovering around $40-60 million to make; God of war 3, Dead Space 2, Gears of War and GT6 to name a few were around this ballpark.

But now? It's easily above $100 million when you have 200+ people working and this is without counting the marketing budgets and they usually tend to be 10s of millions as well.

Is running a studio in Bay Area just that ridiculous expensive? Is marketing included in that 160 number? Lots of expensive outsourcing?

CA is expensive, one of the main reasons why Visceral was killed is because of the higher salaries and the relatively low returns
Square Enix siphoned CD as well, they are based in SF and host 100s of devs there.

it's a double edged sword, you want talent in the US? You need a studio in California or Texas or Washington but at the same time you have to prepare yourself for pretty high operating costs.

Im curious how Dead Space remake sells... that's at least a known IP (and a darn good game), hopefully EA isnt expecting insane sales based on previous franchise performance.

If we go by the latest EA "smaller" releases; Squadrons did above expectations and ITT was a massive success and they were more than happy with ME Legendary as well.

Granted back in the days EA had a different leadership and Dead Space 2 and 3 were extremely expensive but i think they'd be happy with DS Remake as long as it does not bomb. It took 3 years more or less with a relatively small team at EA Motive (canadian studios get pretty great tax cuts especially in EA case)

montrealgazette.com

Electronic Arts to create 500 jobs in Montreal after getting tax credit

Electronic Arts will be creating 500 new jobs in Montreal over a 10-year period thanks to a tax credit from the provincial government.

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Hitman 3 budget for base game is $22,5m. pretty low compared to Callisto reported budget, no doubt thanks to Hitman 3 being iterative after Hitman 1&2. I like hearing more about game budgets, hope dev can be more open about their budget like movie industry

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I've started to experience a slight stick drift on the Black DuelSense I got about a year ago. It's the controller I use mainly. That's a white one that I got at launch and a black one now - I had never experienced stick drift on any previous consoles until those two DuelSense and my left Joycon that I got with the Switch in 2018.

For me the DuelSense Edge is going to be a good investment so I only have to spend £20 to sort this issue rather than £60 in the future. It might have a high cost upfront but I think I'm going to make that back on controllers I don't have to replace 😅.

Last edited:

Schmitz

Jan 3, 2023
I've started to experience a slight stick drift on the Black DuelSense I got about a year ago. It's the controller I use mainly. That's a white one that I got at launch and a black one now - I had never experienced stick drift on any previous consoles until those two DuelSense and my left Joycon that I got with the Switch in 2018.

For me the DuelSense Edge is going to be a good investment so I only have to spend £20 to sort this issue rather than £60 in the future. It might have a high cost upfront but I think I'm going to make that back on controllers I don't have to replace 😅.
Buy a soldering iron and it's a dollar fix. It's pretty easy to do and a good skill to have too. Lots of videos on how to replace the potentiometers.
I did send 2 controllers back to sony because they were on waranty, but now if I get drift I'm just doing it myself. I just like fixing stuff if I can.

I think the edge controller will be awesome if we can buy those magnetic sticks to replace the potentiometers ones.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Now starting to see Forspoken commercials on ESPN. I dont know if this just started, I havent been watching ESPN much these days.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I was just thinking. Normally at the start of new gen. It takes time for really all companies to really put out killer first party games. We start seeing it usually 3 years into the gen. There are exceptions.

Sony has done a really good job putting out top quality first party games the first couple of years into the PS5. It's not too shocking we might see a dip in first party games this year. We have Spidey 2 coming out this fall and you have PSVR launching as well. But it's clear 2023 a lot of the 3rd party exclusives and games will carry the PS5 this year. I DO think Sony has some things to release this year we don't know about but I think we're going to see a lot of reveals that will be coming in 2024.
Best first two years outside of PS2, not even close. PS2 has so many exclusives back then due to basically being the market for all of 3rd party, but to me PS5 has been really amazing, especially if you didn't play everything during PS4 era. So many games run/look better.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Best first two years outside of PS2, not even close. PS2 has so many exclusives back then due to basically being the market for all of 3rd party, but to me PS5 has been really amazing, especially if you didn't play everything during PS4 era. So many games run/look better.

Thats me
Although i did own a PS4 for almost the whole generation i waited untill i got a PS5 3 months ago to play certain games like GoW2018 and now Horizon Zero Dawn.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
One great thing about Playstation studios is that they have always kept the budget in check for their games.

Uncharted 2, which was a revolutionary game in terms of production values (high longevity for the time, crazy graphics, online mode, etc.), had a budget of 20M for example. God of War 3 budget was 44 M in 2010, but again for the time it was an insane experience. Callisto Protocol wasn't anything special outside of the really high fidelity. Current games budget are easily higher, but even sales are. Look at the difference for God of War for instance. The third chapter sold around 5 M on PS3, while GoW 2018 sold more than 15 M on PS4.

Callisto Protocol studio didn't manage the massive resources they had very well.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I hate to be that guy, but I am going to wait to watch Last of Us. I cant do the weekly episodic drop anymore, I find it annoying. I generally don't binge, I watch an episode a night and thats it really. But once a week I find far too annoying, so will wait until at least the second last episode has dropped. I probably don't need to worry about spoilers at least!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I hate to be that guy, but I am going to wait to watch Last of Us. I cant do the weekly episodic drop anymore, I find it annoying. I generally don't binge, I watch an episode a night and thats it really. But once a week I find far too annoying, so will wait until at least the second last episode has dropped. I probably don't need to worry about spoilers at least!
tlou hbo show episode is apparently pretty long. ep 1 and 3 are 80 min long. I think binging it is gonna be a bit much. just treat it as shorter movie or something

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how non-gamers will react to the game after watching the TV show in full and jumping on the TLOU Part1 on PC and PS5?

Show obviously expands on many story and character elements in the game so the game can be described as more "simplistic", but the game allows greater immersion and gameplay challenge/tension by giving users direct control over Joel/Ellie with often limited resources and need for skillful combat/stealth.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
One great thing about Playstation studios is that they have always kept the budget in check for their games.

Uncharted 2, which was a revolutionary game in terms of production values (high longevity for the time, crazy graphics, online mode, etc.), had a budget of 20M for example. God of War 3 budget was 44 M in 2010, but again for the time it was an insane experience. Callisto Protocol wasn't anything special outside of the really high fidelity. Current games budget are easily higher, but even sales are. Look at the difference for God of War for instance. The third chapter sold around 5 M on PS3, while GoW 2018 sold more than 15 M on PS4.

Callisto Protocol studio didn't manage the massive resources they had very well.
Not really apples to apples there. Those games started development like 15 years ago and it wasn't until around the PS4 days when budgets really started exploding industry-wide. Sony very rarely shares production budgets anymore.

That said, 162 million for Callisto doesn't sound right. It isn't like it was developed by many hundreds over the course of 5-6+ years. But I'm not a business analyst nor do I work for the publisher.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, can't wait to see how non-usual gamers react to the games after watching the show.

I'm also excited to see what kind of sales increase the games will experience

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Not really apples to apples there. Those games started development like 15 years ago and it wasn't until around the PS4 days when budgets really started exploding industry-wide.

That said, 162 million for Callisto doesn't sound right. It isn't like it was developed by many hundreds over the course of 5-6+ years. But I'm not a business analyst nor do I work for the publisher.
My point was that Sony was able to increase sales massively with their PS4 games that clearly had a much bigger budget compared to the previous iterations on PS3.

Callisto Protocol budget is (according to the estimate we have) almost 3 times bigger than Dead Space 2 but the game will probably sold the same or less.
  • New IP
  • Niche genre
  • New studio
And a 162 M budget? That doesn't seem very smart to me.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
So...... what y'all think a game had a "sequel" jump in last few years. For me it is last of us part 2. Ragnarok is still a 10 because of God of war 2018 if you know what i mean. Like it felt like a iterative sequel and not innovated on the god of war 2018 formula for me .¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how non-gamers will react to the game after watching the TV show in full and jumping on the TLOU Part1 on PC and PS5?

Show obviously expands on many story and character elements in the game so the game can be described as more "simplistic", but the game allows greater immersion and gameplay challenge/tension by giving users direct control over Joel/Ellie with often limited resources and need for skillful combat/stealth.
I wouldn't expect many non gamers to suddenly be converted by a tv show. They'll have already gotten the essence of the narrative experience in a format they're more comfortable with. I don't see them saying "ok now I want this again but with a really difficult method of interaction that I have no familiarity with."

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the version of Uncharted 4 in the PS plus collection is the updated PS5 version or is is the straight ps4 version?

Edit OK apparently not. I'm done desperately digging to try to find value in PS+ while it's on sale lol

Last edited:

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022

I don't see it really impacting non-gamers that much. Someone who isn't familiar with this medium won't suddenly start gaming because of some really good TV show. And I don't think that Sony expects that to happen.
The show might make gamers, who weren't interested in the IP before, want to play the games. The first game sold around 20-25 million copies (including the remake), which only represents 1/4th of the PS4/PS5 fan base. And a much smaller percentage of the PC community.
The show will (hopefully) make more gamers want to buy the PC & PS5 versions and give it a shot.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Much is always so good with these videos/gifs.

And by complete chance Naughty Dog are hiring for a gameplay capture artist for making trailers (seemingly for Factions), which sounds perfect for Much ;p
www.naughtydog.com

Careers || Naughty Dog

The official website of Naughty Dog, award-winning creators of Uncharted and The Last of Us series
Imagine 😭, and also thanks for the praise. :)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So...... what y'all think a game had a "sequel" jump in last few years. For me it is last of us part 2. Ragnarok is still a 10 because of God of war 2018 if you know what i mean. Like it felt like a iterative sequel and not innovated on the god of war 2018 formula.¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
For me it was:

TLoU 2
Ragnarok
Forbidden West

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Thats in no specific order.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
For me it was:

TLoU 2
Ragnarok
Forbidden West

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Thats in no specific order.
Totally get that👍👍
I have only reached the daunt in forbidden west but loved what i played except that s
Tutorial area tbh. Excited to play more since zero dawn is one of my favourites 😅😅

Oct 27, 2017
That is what I have been thinking for a while. I do not expect Sony to suddenly open any floodgates with 3-4 unannounced projects that coming out this year. 2023 will be more about 3rd party exclusives for Sony.

Yeah, I agree. I think we have a pretty good idea of what they'll be publishing in 2023, with the opportunity for a couple of surprises (I still think there's a good chance they release an Astro game on PSVR2 later this year).

I like my phat PS5 tbh.

Yeah, same. I'm not going disc-less until I've no other choice!

Oh hey, is that an asteroid?!

Even if it is, Neil said specifically he can't see the game being some 7 seasons thing. Right now it's 3 seasons (Part 2 he said would be two HBO seasons) and if they do a Part 3, at most it'll be 4-5 seasons. Nothing like GOT or Walking Dead in length.

That's encouraging. I think 5-6 seasons at the absolute most is the best choice. Don't drag this shit out.

Every big game takes forever to make these days...

I would gladly trim the fat, have shorter, better paced games.

More Lost Legacies please!

If that figure is true (which i have some doubts) the budget clearly went out of control.

It doesn't seem that wild for a AAA budget nowadays. If you've got 300 developers earning $100k per year working for 3 years that's already 90 million before you account for equipment, location, middleware, etc. And Callisto was developed relatively quickly for a new IP.

Edit - a couple of typos.

Last edited:

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I think Sony's hoping to cast a wide net with their cross media efforts. We know that with examples like The Witcher that sales of the game saw a spike after the show aired, but I don't think we can really say how much of those folks were non-gamers. Even if those non-gamers don't buy TLOU Part 1, they could engage with the IP in other ways like buying the board game, or buying toys and other merch. Or any other products that Sony may choose to put out there for folks to buy.

I'm curious how many folks will be dressed as Joel, Ellie or a clicker this Halloween.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony's hoping to cast a wide net with their cross media efforts. We know that with examples like The Witcher that sales of the game saw a spike after the show aired, but I don't think we can really say how much of those folks were non-gamers. Even if those non-gamers don't buy TLOU Part 1, they could engage with the IP in other ways like buying the board game, or buying toys and other merch. Or any other products that Sony may choose to put out there for folks to buy.

I'm curious how many folks will be dressed as Joel, Ellie or a clicker this Halloween.

We're certainly going to be seeing a lot more of that awful old cosplay. And it's not awful because of them not looking the part. If you've seen it then you know what I mean.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
The Callisto Protocol budget is not too surprising, is it? A new studio in the Bay area, during a time when prices were booming plus a massive marketing campaign and it all adds up quickly. The surprising part was that it was simply a middling game, maybe less crunch and more efforts on making the game fun would have helped.

Anyways they are owned by PUBG people so this is no biggie. Now if only they get rid of the top people (like Bend) and move into the new age that would be nice.

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and Mass Effect Andromeda (love Mass Effect).

curious how good Ratchet & Clank is. Couldn't resist being under 40 bucks and not getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.