• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
so Callisto Protocol apparently cost 160m to make and expected to sell 5 million copies. many people in that thread seems surprised at the high 5m expectation for new IP. but with 160m budget, you probably have to hit 5m copies sold at near full price just to break even, right?

with platform holder 30% fee, publisher get around $40 when a game is bought at digitally at full price. that means 4mil copies to break even, this is not even including marketing budget and copies sold below full price. feels like the budget is the problem instead of just saying exec unrealistic sales expectation

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
so Callisto Protocol apparently cost 160m to make and expected to sell 5 million copies. many people in that thread seems surprised at the high 5m expectation for new IP. but with 160m budget, you probably have to hit 5m copies sold at near full price just to break even, right?

with platform holder 30% fee, publisher get around $40 when a game is bought at digitally at full price. that means 4mil copies to break even, this is not even including marketing budget and copies sold below full price. feels like the budget is the problem instead of just saying exec unrealistic sales expectation
If that figure is true (which i have some doubts) the budget clearly went out of control.

knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021
If that figure is true (which i have some doubts) the budget clearly went out of control.
An average developer salary in the US is around $100,000. Many are lower, many are higher.

AAA games developed by hundreds of people for years cost $100-200 million to make especially with marketing.

That's why these games need to sell millions of copies for $70 to make it worth the while.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I mean games like TLoU2 and GoWR budget are probably well past 100mil too. I guess making games in US is just expensive. Remedy is in Finland and apparently Control only cost 30mil, Housemarque also in Finland made Returnal and Sony seems very happy with their sales even though it sold nowhere near Sony usual AAA big titles

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
An average developer salary in the US is around $100,000. Many are lower, many are higher.

AAA games developed by hundreds of people for years cost $100-200 million to make especially with marketing.

That's why these games need to sell millions of copies for $70 to make it worth the while.
Yeah, I would really try and get the indy spirit back in-house if I was Sony. AAA is just too big and requires so much planning and scope. More Tearaway/Gravity Rush/Puppeteer games from Sony would be really nice.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm scratching my head a bit at the $160m number. From what we know, Striking Distance is relatively small for a AAA studio and CP had a quick dev cycle of around 3 years.

Is running a studio in Bay Area just that ridiculous expensive? Is marketing included in that 160 number? Lots of expensive outsourcing?

I'd guess something like TLOU2 would cost around 160m, which seems like a far larger scale production with a longer cycle than CP. Maybe my sense of what games cost to make is just off.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I would really try and get the indy spirit back in-house if I was Sony. AAA is just too big and requires so much planning and scope. More Tearaway/Gravity Rush/Puppeteer games from Sony would be really nice.
Thats probably why they bought Bungie and are also looking for their own Fortnite with all the upcoming GAAS titles. Once they have one, they'll have more unlimited cash to have PS Studios do whatever the hell they want and partner up with other studios to makes weird/risqué games like the Sony Japan games from the PS3 days.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Welp I suppose we're expecting at least 4 live service release from SIE this year. We've got MLB, Destiny 2 Lightfall, and the 2 unannounced ones that Jimbo mentioned. Even if those last 2 don't land this FY, they'll certainly land this calendar year. I'm thinking hat this year we might stand a good chance to see MLB and Destiny hit mobile devices, to get that initiative off the ground.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yeah you're right but i what i mean to say is don't expect to see it this year
IMO they just finished pre-production and now go to full production on it that why they revealed it to help with hiring
I think it's a 2025 game
Considering they only announced the project they are working on a few months ago, I doubt they are even close to reaching Full Production yet.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Excited to be going into this weekend and watching TLOU. This is the start of something big. The IP's already bloody huge, but it's about to become a monster. Think of the series of events that's gonna happen to constantly push it up - TLOU Part 1 recently came out on PS5, then TLOU HBO drops, then TLOU Part 1 on PC drops, then either TLOU Part 2 will drop for PS5 or the MP game will drop, whichever comes first, then probably TLOU Part 2 for PC, then season 2 of the HBO series, then that leads up to TLOU Part 3 further down the road which will spawn at least an extra season of the HBO series. Keeping in mind TLOU MP will have a continuous feed of content the entire time. A constant barrage to keep the hype about this IP going and expand it so much more than it currently is.

And not just TLOU going down this road, Horizon's well underway as well and we could be seeing God of War follow a similar path (well, without the live service game). SIE's really learning to maximize their IP

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll see any of the TV actors from the show in a future Naughty Dog game. While I'd be conflicted about ND doing a licensed game, imagine if they did a Mandalorian game with Pedro. But seriously, I think getting him for anything would be neat.

Marus

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2022
I was just thinking. Normally at the start of new gen. It takes time for really all companies to really put out killer first party games. We start seeing it usually 3 years into the gen. There are exceptions.

Sony has done a really good job putting out top quality first party games the first couple of years into the PS5. It's not too shocking we might see a dip in first party games this year. We have Spidey 2 coming out this fall and you have PSVR launching as well. But it's clear 2023 a lot of the 3rd party exclusives and games will carry the PS5 this year. I DO think Sony has some things to release this year we don't know about but I think we're going to see a lot of reveals that will be coming in 2024.

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking. Normally at the start of new gen. It takes time for really all companies to really put out killer first party games. We start seeing it usually 3 years into the gen. There are exceptions.

Sony has done a really good job putting out top quality first party games the first couple of years into the PS5. It's not too shocking we might see a dip in first party games this year. We have Spidey 2 coming out this fall and you have PSVR launching as well. But it's clear 2023 a lot of the 3rd party exclusives and games will carry the PS5 this year. I DO think Sony has some things to release this year we don't know about but I think we're going to see a lot of reveals that will be coming in 2024.
100% in agreement with you. Even though I just got PS5, I got enough games, as well as FF XIV online, to last me a year or so.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
I'm scratching my head a bit at the $160m number. From what we know, Striking Distance is relatively small for a AAA studio and CP had a quick dev cycle of around 3 years.

Is running a studio in Bay Area just that ridiculous expensive? Is marketing included in that 160 number? Lots of expensive outsourcing?

I'd guess something like TLOU2 would cost around 160m, which seems like a far larger scale production with a longer cycle than CP. Maybe my sense of what games cost to make is just off.
Yeah, I can't really believe the cost for Calisto Protocol. Especially when it was developed in 3 years. This must include the marketing budget as well, so that would mean 80 million for the development of this game. That number sounds more believable.
If the game really cost 160million...yikes. What a huge failure in creating realistic expectations, a good business plan and a cost-efficient development pipeline...

If I remember correctly, the costs for TLOU2 were around 100-120 million. Uncharted 4 cost 100 million (but had tons of really complex set pieces). But you need to double that budget due to marketing costs (maybe a little less due to the pandemic). So a total of around 200million.
HZD cost around 50million to develop. And HFW around 110?

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Just rewatched the PS5 reveal event tonight and that was really a fantastic show.

Hopefully we will get something similar this year as a showcase.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this show might end up being one of the biggest HBO shows behind Game of Thrones series.
Yeah that seems likely I think. People loved The Walking Dead and this is a zombie show that seems to be hitting a higher quality bar in basically every regard based on what the reviews are saying.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I absolutely believe this will be the case. I think many people will be shocked at the episode 1 viewership.
Eh. I think it's a new IP (in the TV world) and it needs a lot of word of mouth. I'm sure episode one will have good viewership but I think the big numbers will roll as the season goes along and especially episode one of season two.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
This but probably more dramatic increase than HotD because it's a new series.
Yup plus even though you hear a lot of complaint about zombies being played out it is still a very big pull and with the Walking Dead audience kinda looking for a new show coupled with the fact there you are getting a premium production and story with the Last Of Us I expect season finale viewership to be insane.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it will be a case where numbers keep climbing as the weeks go on. I'm not sure how they measure views between the channel and HBOMax, but the show will be competing against the NFL playoffs for most of the first half as far as premier night goes. I'm sure that the season finale will be much higher than what this Sunday's night viewers will be.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I agree that it will be a case where numbers keep climbing as the weeks go on. I'm not sure how they measure views between the channel and HBOMax, but the show will be competing against the NFL playoffs for most of the first half as far as premier night goes. I'm sure that the season finale will be much higher than what this Sunday's night viewers will be.

Yeah even I'll be watching the NFL playoffs first. That's going to be a big audience draw for the first few hours of release

Rintaro_kyoka

Aug 4, 2022
NPD
Capture_decran_2023-01-13_a_15.43.35.png

Capture_decran_2023-01-13_a_15.43.52.png
Call of duty just continue to be a giga monster lol, it outsold elden ring sales in US & Europe in just 2 months that's wild. And yet you still have people saying that "people" don't care for COD (and fifa)

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
Considering they only announced the project they are working on a few months ago, I doubt they are even close to reaching Full Production yet.
I don't see why annoucing a project means it's still in pre production
And i think they've been working on this game since 2020
IMO they're in prod since it's in it that you need a lot of devs so it make sense for them to annouced it just after finishing pre prod to help with hiring

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
"Because if we turn a buying population into a subscription population, that means we have to rely on subscription fees and buyouts. And in general, subscription buyouts don't pay for that many years of a team's development, unless your team is very small."

She adds, "Subscriptions are both awesome and terrifying at the same time, and it could go either way. And I worry most for the smaller indie teams who maybe don't have an early foothold as creators, that they may not have the space and the money to make more than one game."
www.gamesindustry.biz

Finji CEO: Subscriptions are simultaneously "awesome and terrifying"

The industry goes in cycles for indies, Finji CEO Bekah Saltsman tells us in a discussion at last October's Megamigs co…

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Good horror games are lucky to sell that much. Heck, even good horror games cant punch up to 5mil even back when budgets were smaller and games didnt cost 70 bucks. Whether or not the sales expectation was born out of publisher stupidity or solely what's needed for the game to profit, someone should have read market trends, noticed how horror games tend to do, and not a) given them an insane budget for a new IP and b) not set such crazy expectations on a game.
Also c) should have delayed the game so it wasnt a technical mess on several platforms which only hurt b) way more when the game WOM went to shit.

Im curious how Dead Space remake sells... that's at least a known IP (and a darn good game), hopefully EA isnt expecting insane sales based on previous franchise performance.
Im also interested to see how well RE4 does. I mean... that's selling way north of 5mil easily (Id say double that, over its lifetime is not an unfair guess), but then again its almost unfair to take something like Callisto (brand new series) and Dead Space (niche horror series that only sold a couple of mill back in the day) and compare it to one of the most recognised games in the RE series.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021

Agree they did a great job in the launch years.
SIE has a very mature pipeline now that they will have a decent to very good slate of games every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.