• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bopp

Aug 6, 2021
Just got the Platinum for Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.
What a spectacularly good Metroidvania :o

Now what to play next?
Paradise Killer? Or Ghostwire?

Last edited:

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK
Just got the Platinum for Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.
What a spectacularly good Metroidvania :o

Now what to play next?
Paradise Killer? Or Ghostwire?
If you want to platinum Ghostwire be aware that there's a fair amount of collecting to do if you don't feel like that sort of game right now

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished the Quarry.
Angie it did not disappoint.
Was it as obvious for everybody else that it was about
Werewolves
? I didn't really follow any of the marketing so don't know if it was pretty much confirmed in any way before the release.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Alright, gonna do a couple of biggish posts tonight, starting with my own showcase expectations. This will be in chronological order from beginning to end. The likelihood will vary for each entry of course, but I'll add some additional info just to make things more spicy.

Start:
Bluepoint's next game: It's a new IP, the first for Bluepoint since their PSN game in 2006, takes place in a medieval setting. It's not a Soulslike, but a third-person action game. 2024 release window.
Jim Ryan speech talking about the future of PlayStation and whatever he usually says
Arrowhead Studios reveals Helldivers II: Third-person PvE tactical shooter. A single-player campaign is also introduced in the game. No release window. (Arrowhead also becomes a part of PlayStation Studios in a separate announcement either a few months after the showcase or a couple weeks before the showcase)
PixelOpus's new game: Collaboration with Sony Pictures Animation, although it's not a tie-in game to a movie. Platformer-adventure game. Geared to be a family friendly game. 2024 release window.
Firesprite's Twisted Metal game is revealed: Free-to-play multiplayer game, tie-in game to the TV show. It has a cartoonish/stylish look. A teaser for the show is also accompanied with the announcement. Q4 2023 release. (This reveal is controversial on Twitch/YT chat, but it quickly dies down when third-party stuff comes in)
Silent Hill 2 gameplay reveal. It doesn't have the fixed camera angle as the original, which also spurs some controversy online. Although, visually, the game does look very good. Console exclusive to PS5. No release window.
Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake revealed, developed by Virtuos. Console exclusive to PS5. Coming 2024.
Pragmata gameplay reveal: Sci-fi survival post-apocalyptic game. You play as the big astronaut guy and accompany the girl, who has some special powers of her own. Game is given a date...in January 2024.
FF7 Rebirth gameplay reveal: Lots of new stuff added, in addition to a huge open-world environment to explore. Shockingly, it's slated for December 2023.
Halfway point:
Shuhei Yoshida speech talking about the importance of indies and stuff, segues into indies supported by PlayStation.
Little Devil Inside gameplay, fall 2023 window
I'm gonna be real with you, I have no clue what to write for the indies section, so I'm just gonna say there's like a handful of indies revealed that look really cool and high-quality.
Hermen Hulst speech talks about PlayStation and exciting new projects, segues into Firewalk's new game which is coming later this year.
Firewalk's game: Sci-fi FPS PvE GaaS game. There is a story mode that is played in co-op. Comparisons to Destiny are made but the game does look very different. You could tell Bungie devs were leading the project though. Holiday 2023 window with an open beta later in the summer.
Naughty Dog's multiplayer game: It's a Tarkov-like with battle royale elements. Some systems from Factions, like sticking to a single team for however long you survive, is greatly expanded upon as a lot more players are supported. Maps are absolutely huge, basically think the Seattle map from Last of Us Part II on steroids. Lots of verticality. Closed alpha in late 2023 for those who pre-order. Game releasing in summer 2024.
A reveal of the revised PS5 model, looks like a refresh of the PS5 digital model, still contains the face plates. The disc attachment is also revealed sitting atop the unit, looking rather seamless. The console costs $399 and serves as a price cut. The disc drive costs $99. Release in September.
Jim Ryan concludes the presentation talking about how much there is to look forward to, but gives us a special preview of Spider-Man 2 to cap off the show.
Spider-Man 2 gameplay and story reveal. Easily the longest traiiler in the showcase, even longer than the Last of Us MP game. Boasts a much more expansive map, including other boroughs of the city such as Queens and some special locations we didn't expect before. This is basically a State of Play-style episode walking us through the game and what to expect. Unsurprisingly, the game is releasing in September, around the same time as the revised PS5 model.
A bundle of Spider-Man 2 with the revised PS5 model is also announced.
Sizzle reel concludes the show.

All of this may not happen, and there could very well be a lot of surprises here, but this is what I expect. I also expect a handful of surprises none of us could have predicted, so that will make the showcase even more exciting. Suffice to say, this could be up there with E3 2016 if Sony plays their cards right, and they very well could. Exciting times ahead.

Jun 25, 2022
Burning Shores looks absolutely incredible. Hard to believe its foundation is from a cross-gen system, still.

Werewolves
? I didn't really follow any of the marketing so don't know if it was pretty much confirmed in any way before the release.
I played around release and it was not immediately obvious. I really enjoyed the game and the mocap + visuals looked fantastic.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Werewolves

The trailers before release used Bad Moon Rising. It was pretty obvious once they started to do that.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm playing Horizon and Forpsoken back to back recently and I'm surprised to find that I had no problem with Horizon quality 30fps mode. The last few games I played, Ghostwire, Forspoken felt really bad in 30fps and I had to play them in 60fps mode just to be playable.

I thought that I've been conditioned to play in 60fps now even though I used to play 30fps (or less) just fine during ps3 days

But 30fps Horizon feel good for me, I now think that 30fps remain perfectly fine, if a game feel bad on 30fps, it's that particular game's fault and not simple because it's 30fps. Sadly I feel like some dev just think it's fine to shipped laggy 30fps and call it quality mode. I think the game must have been tested in 60fps performance mode and near the end of development they just crank the resolution and call it quality mode without caring how that affect the input latency. Because I can't imagine any dev play 30fps Forspoken and Ghostwire and think they're acceptable

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think we will see partnerships between Sony and new studios in the showcase?

Possible. Sony's got their fingers in a lot of pies. Could be for a standard PS5 game or VR. It would have to be a studio who they began partnering with years ago so they have something tangible to show though

Κroηos

Jul 27, 2022
Possible. Sony's got their fingers in a lot of pies. Could be for a standard PS5 game or VR. It would have to be a studio who they began partnering with years ago so they have something tangible to show though
Hopefully there will be more than two partnerships with new studios, but I'm also wondering if there will be a partnership with a well-known studio like they did with Team Ninja.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Horizon and Forpsoken back to back recently and I'm surprised to find that I had no problem with Horizon quality 30fps mode. The last few games I played, Ghostwire, Forspoken felt really bad in 30fps and I had to play them in 60fps mode just to be playable.

I thought that I've been conditioned to play in 60fps now even though I used to play 30fps (or less) just fine during ps3 days

But 30fps Horizon feel good for me, I now think that 30fps remain perfectly fine, if a game feel bad on 30fps, it's that particular game's fault and not simple because it's 30fps. Sadly I feel like some dev just think it's fine to shipped laggy 30fps and call it quality mode. I think the game must have been tested in 60fps performance mode and near the end of development they just crank the resolution and call it quality mode without caring how that affect the input latency. Because I can't imagine any dev play 30fps Forspoken and Ghostwire and think they're acceptable
Agree about Forbidden West. I switched back to 30 fps when I installed Burning Shores...and it was fine. So much so that I actually forget about it until reading your post.

Same for Rift Apart. I never played it on 60 fps, and I got the game at launch before the 40 fps mode.

Yeah some games its better to be 60 or have that option, and its a game by game basis about what should be 60, but a smooth 30 is good.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I finished burning shores

Yeah, that ending would not run on ps4 without compromises
Damn cant wait to see what Guerrilla will do with horizon 3 being made from the ground up for the ps5

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK
Werewolves
Wasn't obvious to me either, heck even after they're shown I didn't get it because of the lack of
fur
it wasn't until it was literally mentioned that I was like ohhhh yeah duh
They are a small team so probably all their resources are being used on their next game.
Looking forward what they will do next although i dont think we will see it this year
I think people forget, or don't realise, this a lot of the time. They think that as soon as a team ship a game on one platform that they're immediately at work on other versions and not just moving onto the next game.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Do you have a VRR TV?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to hold off my mass effect 3 playthrough as I will be traveling quite a bit in the next weeks but after the ending of mass effect 2 I was so curious about how things develop. And boy it delivers! The prologue is really satisfying, the story goes in interesting directions, graphics get more shinier, finally the eyes look more convincing and gunplay is more refined than before. In a certain scene when a character was in great danger I blurted out 'nooo' which is rare for me but it tells me that I am really invested in that world and with that characters. That series is the best rpg I played in years and I don't know how I missed it when it released.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
So for the showcase group all the first and second party together at the end like the last one or spread them through out the show?

Rintaro_kyoka

Aug 4, 2022

PSA:They said that didn't had any plan for an xbox version (or another console) since 2021 and were just focused on PC and PS5 version and MAYBE one day they will port the game elsewhere in an interview, their first answer just responded to the person asking if it's a permanent exclusive

Last edited:

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Spider-Man Remastered on pc and there are some really good mods. Some add missing suits like the one from Amazing Spider-Man 2, others let you play as other characters like Gwen and Venom. I have a feeling she'll be skipped but it would be nice if Gwen had her own Miles Morales sized game somewhere between the Spider-Men and the Wolverines.
06erycN.jpg

Ji4eGzl.jpg

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I finished Burning Shores yesterday night. Great DLC.

The hardest part was ...

to say goodbye.

horizonsylenspicqy.jpg

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Much prefer spread out, if it's along the lines of the future of gaming show it'll be perfect

Definitely spreading them out throughout the show. It's way better for the pacing.

Better spreading. Didn't liked the last one that they put all the first party games at the end.

Agree pacing wise the last showcase didn't feel right with everything at the end.
I hope they spread it out more now

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
If I buy a $60 PS gift card, get the code and send it to my nephew so he can redeem the code...at that point is it easy for me to facetime him and walk him through how to sign up for PS+ while he's using his PS5? He plays a ton of free-to-play games online but has never had PS+, and I'd like to play games like 2K and MLB the Show with him.
I don't know if anyone already answered, but you could get him a PS+ voucher and not a gift card? So he just has to redeem the code and he has PS+ (I assume)?

iirc you can also find them as "physical editions" in shops. :)

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England

"Never say never" is another way of saying never really.

I feel like Kena won't hit Xbox at this point without a GamePass deal which would basically pay for the port, and given how its a small team they probably have all resources on their next game anyway which is likely to be an XDev project.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
God of War is still my favourite SIE IP.
What do you think is the next setting? It could go anywhere.
Egyptian mythology would be epic but I am not sure if Kratos will travel across mythologies. Greek to Norse was an innovation but I don't expect them to make GoW III -> GoW 2018 leap in every mythology change. They'll probably follow same formula. Maybe they'll make a complete reboot and start from Greece again with different story. I really can't predict. After GoW Ascension I thought GoW IP will be dormant but they revived it with best possible way.

boltz

Banned
Feb 15, 2023
Egyptian mythology would be epic but I am not sure if Kratos will travel across mythologies. Greek to Norse was an innovation but I don't expect them to make GoW III -> GoW 2018 leap in every mythology change. They'll probably follow same formula. Maybe they'll make a complete reboot and start from Greece again with different story. I really can't predict. After GoW Ascension I thought GoW IP will be dormant but they revived it with best possible way.
100%. I have faith in SSM.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

GoW is way too successful for a reboot imo.

We know that Tyr has been in contact with other pantheons in the past. I could see that some egyptian god asks for help because something is happening over there and they heard about Kratos freeing the norse from Odin.

Status
Not open for further replies.