Will buy Final Fantasy XVI

• Yes (at launch)

Votes: 447 65.0%
  • Yes (at a later date)

Votes: 102 14.8%
  • Maybe (waiting for reviews and impressions)

Votes: 59 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think that if the new subclass is something we already know, I would bet that is something like Nightmare or Kinetic. But if we consider how everyone was dead wrong when strand leaked last year, maybe it would not be smart of me to bet on it. 😂 it's probably something we never heard before.

Pizza-element weapons and abilities. Finally.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony does seem to be working hard to hit that 25 million PS5s moved this FY goal. A little over a week until the Q1 report, I wonder how many they moved. 4 to 4.5 million would be my guess.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
I've said this before, but I think live service games get more attention when they fail, than a single player game would in the same position.

Plenty of single player games fail to make money, but the discussion is different when it's a live service game.

I think part of this is that you can blissfully enjoy a failed single player game alone, but if you were enjoying a commercially unviable live service game (like I was of Knockout City) there's no way to avoid knowing and talking about its failure because it directly impacts your experience even before it shuts down.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
kKlrNsq.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Joo

May 25, 2018
Dolby Atmos support is awesome, but I wish they give us Dolby Vision as well.
I doubt Dolby Vision would be that great in games when most games are specifically encoded for HDR10, and it does introduce some extra input lag. Maybe things change in the future, but HDR10 being more vibrant it might be better for most games anyway. Of course it depends on who you ask.

Nov 21, 2017

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Sony Pictures has high interests in All3Media. All3Media's asking price range is around $1.4 Billion

View: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1686031726693187584?s=20

Its a respectable amount of production companies to serve their "Streaming Razor-Blade" strategy.
Though I'm not seeing anything big that stands out as a must get within the company.
Sony Music also the leading candidate for Warner Bros Discovery TV/Film Music assets. Deal estimated at around $500 million

View: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1671967652548612096?s=20

This on the other hand, I could see lot of value in here. Especially when it includes WB's own As Time Goes By (which is kinda bonkers that they might seriously consider selling it).

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Vinciquerra has vision, he was a great get to Iead SPE. There'll be a lot of divestitures over the next few years, and SPE could be one of the beneficiaries.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Does Sony ussually (always?) spend the money they allocate to M&A? (Not to the dollar but around that figure)

Nov 21, 2017
So based on recent Sony's entertainment division investment or acquisition interests news
SPE interested in All3Media valued around $1.4 Billion
SME interested Warner Bros Discovery TV/Film Music assets valued around $500 million
SIE interested in investing or partnering with Korean gaming companies value unknown

Also when is Sony's quarterly financials results again?

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
So based on recent Sony's entertainment division investment or acquisition interests news
SME interested Warner Bros Discovery TV/Film Music assets valued around $500 million
SIE interested in investing or partnering with Korean gaming companies value unknown

Also SME was interested in Michael Jackson's Music Catalog.
Michael Jackson Estate Nearing Music-Catalog Sale Worth $800-$900 Million (EXCLUSIVE)

Honestly, i can't see how Sony as a conglomerate with so many activities will compete in gaming industry M&A wise.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Vinciquerra has vision, he was a great get to Iead SPE. There'll be a lot of divestitures over the next few years, and SPE could be one of the beneficiaries.
I mean he also disingenuously went in the press from a luxury fireside chat by the seaside in Italy that the offer made to SAG-AFTRA was "the best deal ever offered to them", which may be true (in part) but is as always lipstick on a pig. He's the same as all the execs.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

August 9th 3pm JST.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Weird West Definitive Edition is on sale for 10 EUR (75% off).

Any impressions?

I platinum'd the original pre-Definitive Edition, and it's a decent game with tons of flaws (whether or not you can look past them is a hard question to answer). I liked that it had some good immersive sim qualities to it, but one thing to note: if you expect tons of reactivity and RPG-like branching stuff etc. from this game that's top-down, you might become very disappointed.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
I platinum'd the original pre-Definitive Edition, and it's a decent game with tons of flaws (whether or not you can look past them is a hard question to answer). I liked that it had some good immersive sim qualities to it, but one thing to note: if you expect tons of reactivity and RPG-like branching stuff etc. from this game that's top-down, you might become very disappointed.

Thanks
I dont mind if there are no or less RPG systems.

Can I ask what did you think of the missions and story?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks
I dont mind if there are no or less RPG systems.

Can I ask what did you think of the missions and story?

They're not very deep or detailed, and the story beats aren't the most exciting around (it doesn't help that the game lacks VA for most of the dialogue). The fun part comes in slowly upgrading your character's capacity, exploring secrets in various towns and settlements/dungeons, etc. I would almost say missions and the story are perfunctory at best, with repetition in map tiles etc. It sounds very critical of me, but that's why I said it's very hard to say if you'll vibe with the game or not: despite its issues, I vibed with it and saw it through.

Also, without spoiling too much, the game takes a cool approach to your character during chapter switches, which does add to the variation and the drive to push onwards.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
They're not very deep or detailed, and the story beats aren't the most exciting around (it doesn't help that the game lacks VA for most of the dialogue). The fun part comes in slowly upgrading your character's capacity, exploring secrets in various towns and settlements/dungeons, etc. I would almost say missions and the story are perfunctory at best, with repetition in map tiles etc. It sounds very critical of me, but that's why I said it's very hard to say if you'll vibe with the game or not: despite its issues, I vibed with it and saw it through.

Also, without spoiling too much, the game takes a cool approach to your character during chapter switches, which does add to the variation and the drive to push onwards.

Thanks for the impressions.
I think I will buy it even though it will probably take awhile before I play it because of my backlog, but its probably not going to be (much) cheaper in the future anyway

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
What's the deserved criticism for?

Like we almost know all their multiplayer projects in the works and pretty much none are in development by teams that made their prestigious SP games in the past.

Naughty Dog - seperat MP Team
Guerrilla Games - seperat MP Team
Insomniac - seperat MP Team
Firewalk - main team
London Studio - main team
Haven - main team
Firesprite - seperat MP team
San Diego - main team
Polyphony - main team
Bungie - all teams
Bend - main team

First contact - main team
Arrowhead - main team
Gravity Well - main team

Beside Bend, who are working on an Open World game with multplayer, and London Studio, none of these studios stopped making Single player games in favour of Gaas games.

All studios were either already Gaas focused or created seperat teams to work on multiplayer games.

I'm not saying they stopped making SP games, I'm saying this strategy is slowing down Sony's output as they simply do not have enough studios right now tu support it.

I don't know how anyone could watch the latest showcase and think otherwise.

That's ok though, the SP output of other publishers has improved and every publisher cannot satisfy everyone all the time. It will be interesting to see how that worked for them by 2028.

Last edited:

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Wow wow WOW that battle in The Witcher 3 was amazing!

I need more fantasy action set pieces like this.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying they stopped making SP games, I'm saying this strategy is slowing down Sony's output as they simply do not have enough studios right now tu support it.

That's ok though, the SP output of other publishers has improved and every publisher cannot satisfy everyone all the time. It will be interesting to see how that worked for them by 2028.

I don't really agree with that.

Looking at the games and studios, I think there's good amount of singleplayer games coming.

Wolverine
Death Stranding 2
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Sucker Punch's next game
Naughty Dog's next single player game
Santa Monica (Cory's game)
Firesprite's horror game
Bend
Housemarque
Bluepoint
Team Asobi
The "Ooze" game
Project Carbon (Sumo Digital)
Project Bates (Balistic Moon)

That's at least 15 singleplayer games, and there's probably some more Xdev stuff that we don't know about, that will all likely release in 2024-2026 period.

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the more impressive "Best" lists for the PS5

sie_topps5gameszycvj.webp

There's a lot of variety there.

Yeah, that's a lot of really great variety. Glad to see smaller games like Cult of the Lamb, Inscryption and Death's Door as well as AA indies like Sifu and Stray get represented alongside the predictable bigger games.

first time crossing this bridge
sure hope there's no abomination on the other side of it
would put a less good twist on my friday

F2JaGoeWwAARwKw

took me three tries but the track is now living in my head rent free

Say hello to Big Daddy G for me!

But I think this announcement between Square and Xbox kind of exemplifies how dangerous it is to rely on third party contracts these days. PlanetSmasher has talked about this a few times before.

Yeah, in light of recent events Sony should really seek to ensure their in-house PlayStation Studios teams cover most major genres. If they're not looking to buy an actual publisher I think they should be looking to add at least a few more mid- or large-size teams to PlayStation Studios (along the lines of Firesprite). Every time I suggest someone who would be a good partner or acquisition they end up getting acquired by someone else, like Lucid Games or Techland!

View: https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1685007527262425088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1685007527262425088%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

It's not often that you hear about a game whose development is going well end up getting killed because a company is piling nearly all their resources into a single franchise.

I think Ubisoft would be a valuable publisher to acquire:

They'd cost about $5 billion (a fraction of many other similar-sized publishers like Activision, EA or T2)
They've got some strong brands like Assassin's Creed, Tom Clancy & Far Cry with lots of cross-media potential
They've got a huge workforce including lots of support teams in smaller countries/non-typical videogame territories
They've got lots of experience with Live Service titles
Their style of big-budget narrative games would fit right in with PlayStation's MO

I think Sony is at the point where they either need to acquire a handful more development studios or a publisher. They can say stuff like the Assassin's Creed games or Live Service stuff will still be multiplatform to appease regulators while making stuff like Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Immortals 2, some Tom Clancy stuff etc PS5/PC only to bolster their line-up. I personally think Capcom or Ubisoft would be the best acquisitions for Sony's style and their cross-media ambitions, but Capcom would probably cost about 3x as much.

They already have the perfect IP just waiting for it's chance to re-emerge ;P
Z4FQFEd7bCJiIHHE0LCuMl9Tuo9h8ZVl.png

Sony this isn't a joke post please give me more

Great art and characters but terrible level design. That being said I often think about a new Dark Cloud so I can relate!

Man i love this game back in the day .
In fact i had a soft spot for all L5 PS games.
If we get something like that it in this day and age it would be like the UBI SW game .

I wonder if Level-5 would be a good acquisition. They seem like a really inconsistent studio but they occasionally still put out great games.

I wonder who the villain will be in this one. Was interested in the second film but man it was bad, and incredibly rushed.

I've got no interest in Twisted Metal but I hope this show is a success as I like Anthony Mackie. I'm also interested in seeing the game and I wonder how closely it will tie in with the TV show.

Speaking about them dark PS3 times I still had Resistance and Warhawk. Dammit, I miss Warhawk.

For all Sony's failings with the PS3 they had a lot of distinct Live Service games that would probably be strong performers now if they hadn't been dumped. We had Warhawk, the Resistance multiplayer (the separate 8-player mode in R2 was probably my favourite), MAG (still got a lot of fondness for this game), Twisted Metal, ModNation Racers, Not Smash Brothers, God of War: Ascension, etc. And I was half expecting the online game from Guerrilla to be a Killzone multiplayer shooter, before we knew it was going to be more like Monster Hunter.

Would be nice to see more diversity from them again with their multiplayer offerings. I think a lot of people assume 'Live Service' to be a dirty phrase but it doesn't necessarily have to be (think the variety between Fall Guys, Rocket League, Apex, Dreams, Driveclub etc).

Bopp

Aug 6, 2021
After 5 restarts over the past 6 years, I've finally finished The Witcher 3 and its first expansion Hearts of Stone. Also got the Platinum.

A spectacular game. Even the occasional bug and annoyances with traversal and camera (especially during combat) didn't ruin my enjoyment. 10/10.

Gonna play something else for a while before tackling Blood and Wine. Hope it's as good as the main game.

Joo

May 25, 2018
After 5 restarts over the past 6 years, I've finally finished The Witcher 3 and its first expansion Hearts of Stone. Also got the Platinum.

A spectacular game. Even the occasional bug and annoyances with traversal and camera (especially during combat) didn't ruin my enjoyment. 10/10.

Gonna play something else for a while before tackling Blood and Wine. Hope it's as good as the main game.
Blood and Wine is excellent and in many ways even better than the main game. Best DLC ever made imo.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great art and characters but terrible level design. That being said I often think about a new Dark Cloud so I can relate!

Pretty much. Also has a pretty bad battle system imo. You just end up using the same combo attacks over and over. Still, there's just something about Level-5 JRPGs that I can't help but love.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a weird problem. My PS media remote lost connection somehow so I (stupidly?)decided I would turn my PS5s Bluetooth off and on. PlayStation restarted and now none of my controllers are working while plugged in. So I can't log in at all.

The PS5 recognizes a controller is there, and the PS button works but no other button does. Tried different cables and usb ports and nothing works.

Any ideas?

Fixed.

Had to boot the console into safe mode and reset it to default system settings. Where for some reason the console recognized the button inputs

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Dolby Atmos support is awesome, but I wish they give us Dolby Vision as well.
Based on the language used when DV was announced for Xbox Series, I think there might be an exclusivity agreement there. Though not sure if it expired or not, so support could be on the horizon. After all, all their TVs support it, so at least it's not an HDMI VRR situation.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really agree with that.

Looking at the games and studios, I think there's good amount of singleplayer games coming.

Wolverine
Death Stranding 2
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
Sucker Punch's next game
Naughty Dog's next single player game
Santa Monica (Cory's game)
Firesprite's horror game
Bend
Housemarque
Bluepoint
Team Asobi
The "Ooze" game
Project Carbon (Sumo Digital)
Project Bates (Balistic Moon)

That's at least 15 singleplayer games, and there's probably some more Xdev stuff that we don't know about, that will all likely release in 2024-2026 period.

The majority of these games are not announced, so it's easy to build a long list.

That's the type of list I was seeing in the Xbox thread for years, with games rarely releasing.

VibrantStorm

May 11, 2021
Hi Everyone, quick question, my brother just got a ps5 and we love to play games such as ghost recon wildlands. we are currently looking for a new game which can be played in a squad of 3 people. if anyone has suggestions please let me know, preferably no games like destiny or fortnite etc.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Everyone, quick question, my brother just got a ps5 and we love to play games such as ghost recon wildlands. we are currently looking for a new game which can be played in a squad of 3 people. if anyone has suggestions please let me know, preferably no games like destiny or fortnite etc.

1. Outriders
  2. The Division 2
  3. Remnant 1 & 2

NTMBK

May 22, 2023
Also SME was interested in Michael Jackson's Music Catalog.
Michael Jackson Estate Nearing Music-Catalog Sale Worth $800-$900 Million (EXCLUSIVE)

Honestly, i can't see how Sony as a conglomerate with so many activities will compete in gaming industry M&A wise.

How on earth is Michael Jackon worth almost a billion dollars? Are people still listening to him that much?

The man has been dead for almost 15 years, this stuff should just be in the public domain already. Copyright laws are weird.

Jul 2, 2021

You are right. AAA games are getting bigger and more expensive. Which means it takes longer to actually make them.
Sony needs more studios to keep up. Especially as a platform holder. And in an industry that is consolidating, while the competition is buying publishers to take away famous 3rd party franchises, it's time for Sony to invest a lot more. And I mean acquiring studios and IPs.
How on earth is Michael Jackon worth almost a billion dollars? Are people still listening to him that much?
Yes.

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
That 11 million is just on the PS main channel. So many more millions and engagement out there. Not too long until we get to play in October.
Also please Sony do not release Helldivers 2 on Liberty Day in October unless it is a PS Plus game.