Status
Not open for further replies.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
My year of catching up on PlayStation games starts now with Death Stranding on PS5. What mode do I go with, performance or quality? I do have a VRR capable TV, but I don't know if the game supports it.

Any ideas?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
"EXCEPTIONAL 12-HOUR BATTERY LIFE"
Is it really that exceptional though?
Exceptional for official DualSense/Dualshock, maybe.

12-HOUR BATTERY LIFE

488851906228256777.gif

If true.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has PSN always had Taxes? I just noticed for the first time in my 10+ years of buying games on PS that there is taxes associated with my purchases.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Has PSN always had Taxes? I just noticed for the first time in my 10+ years of buying games on PS that there is taxes associated with my purchases.
It is case-dependent on which state of the U.S. you live in.
Georgia passed a law that sales/use tax must be levied on "permanent" digital goods being sold by any business with a nexus in the state starting on 2024-01-01.
It sucks, but what're you gonna do?

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently PS Acess leaked the PS1 Alone in the Dark as one of the classic.
They deleted it later. But there is some screenshots of it

GDfvZqIXcAE0mxR
Sweet. Probably the first horror game I ever played. Didn't get far as I really didn't know any English and it was obviously too scary for me back then but I'd be down to revisit it just out of pure nostalgia.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Lol, these are so fun.

And as expected, the comments on Twitter are embarrassing.

I swear, some gamers really are the fucking worst.

I will never understand Naughty Dog becoming the "Bitch Eating Crackers" of certain parts of the gaming community, just because TLOU2 went in a direction that wasn't the feel good adventures of "Daddy and Baby Girl." God forbid a prominent, AAA developer in the industry takes such a big swing with a beloved IP in an attempt to challenge the player's emotions beyond just a bog standard male power fantasy narrative. TLOU2 is a master class in game design and narrative execution. Period. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone, and I totally understand fans being upset with it, and not enjoying it because of how hard it goes emotionally, but the team at ND accomplished something really beautiful with both games. To do that with a big budget title like TLOU was quite a risk and a gamble. It's just a shame that so many of the most vocal gamers on the net can be the most hateful.

It's really funny, because film and television have been telling those kinds of stories for generations, but very few are met with the same level of hostility as what ND is seeing because of TLOU2. It's insane.

Last edited:

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
You guys weren't kidding about widescreen + quality mode for DS. It sings in this OLED.

Those widescreen modes got a lot of shit the few times they were tried in the last gen, but I never got on that hate-train. More devs should try this.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Lol, these are so fun.

I will never understand Naughty Dog becoming the "Bitch Eating Crackers" of certain parts of the gaming community, just because TLOU2 went in a direction that wasn't the feel good adventures of "Daddy and Baby Girl."

The Last of Us 2 subreddit right now is one of the most unhinged gaming places I've visited. Redacted dying really hurt their feelings.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
My year of catching up on PlayStation games starts now with Death Stranding on PS5. What mode do I go with, performance or quality? I do have a VRR capable TV, but I don't know if the game supports it.

Any ideas?
Would recommend the widescreen mode. Makes the experience even more movie like, and it runs in 4k60 withouth any hitches.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Lol, these are so fun.

I will never understand Naughty Dog becoming the "Bitch Eating Crackers" of certain parts of the gaming community, just because TLOU2 went in a direction that wasn't the feel good adventures of "Daddy and Baby Girl." God forbid a prominent, AAA developer in the industry takes such a big swing with a beloved IP in an attempt to challenge the player's emotions beyond just a bog standard male power fantasy narrative. TLOU2 is a master class in game design and narrative execution. Period. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone, and I totally understand fans being upset with it, and not enjoying it because of how hard it goes emotionally, but the team at ND accomplished something really beautiful with both games. To do that with a big budget title like TLOU was quite a risk and a gamble. It's just a shame that so many of the most vocal gamers on the net can be the most hateful.

It's really funny, because film and television have telling those kinds of stories for generations, but very few are met with the same level of hostility as what ND is seeing because of TLOU2. It's insane.

Yep Tlou2 holds a special place for me as I never had the emotions it evoked during that game in ANY medium yet.
I have been emotional, angry, sad etc before during a movie or game but never all those emotions during one movie/game.
I thought about that game long after already finishing it and that's not something that I usually do/happens to me.
It also helps that its one of the best TPS games out there.

Like you said its really a accomplishment

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Well I did want to get an Edge but now I mayswell wait and see if they do a V2

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I have an Edge already, Id be tempted to grab another DS that has better battery. I mean unless we get an Edge with better battery... that'd be something Id REALLY want.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They're just Sony haters and Naughty Dog is Sony's MVP so of course they hate Naughty Dog's guts 🤷‍♂️

breakingbad-science.gif

It's not even just Sony haters or console war stuff!

It's people that loved TLOU1, and they're really, really bitter that ND went the route they did with the narrative. The silly thing is that, had ND played it safe, and just did another Joel and Ellie romp through the post apocalypse, they'd be upset because it was just repetitive "more of the same" shit.

The Last of Us 2 subreddit right now is one of the most unhinged gaming places I've visited. Redacted dying really hurt their feelings.

Oh, I don't bother to visit subreddits for divisive games like TLOU2. Ditto for the vast majority of Star Wars discussion on the internet. Fandoms have a way of sucking the joy out of discussing the things they're fans of, and it's just exhausting. I do still love talking about Star Wars and TLOU, but usually with my real life family and friends that are also fans. We don't always agree, but the discussions are infinitely more enjoyable.

Yep Tlou2 holds a special place for me as I never had the emotions it evoked during that game in ANY medium yet.
I have been emotional, angry, sad etc before during a movie or game but never all those emotions during one movie/game.
I thought about that game long after already finishing it and that's not something that I usually do/happens to me.
It also helps that its one of the best TPS games out there.

Like you said its really a accomplishment

Yeah, I think it's just a masterpiece of a game. It's not perfect, of course, no game or show or movie really is, but it executes the vision the team had for the project to a phenomenal degree.

And yeah, one of the reasons why I love TLOU2 so much is how well it taps into emotions that players aren't generally conditioned to feel when playing games. I've been a gamer a long time (since the 80's, cutting my teeth on Atari and NES consoles), and I can't say I've ever played a game that made me feel the way TLOU2 did, or even sat with me for weeks after finishing it. From a gamer perspective, it challenged me emotionally in a way I wasn't expecting. It was a legit emotional roller coaster, tapping into such a wide spectrum of emotions for me, as a gamer. Anger, Sadness, Adrenaline pumping anxiety, Fear, Empathy, Compassion, Joy, Laughter, Excitement, and the typical feeling games try to invoke; satisfaction in kicking ass, or expertly sneaking through a stronghold, taking out enemies. There are more emotions the game tapped into for me, but those were the highlights.

As a game designer, I can't help but be impressed at how well they married the gameplay into the narrative, and the complex emotions they were trying to illicit from the gamer. We always talk about the ludonarrative dissonance in video games (and in particular ND games), but I think TLOU2 threads that needle very, very well. The visceral encounters and violence we experience in the game as the player punctuates the narrative being told in a very organic way. There's a reason for both Ellie and Abby to be doing what they're doing, and it never feels jarring to me going from cutscenes to gameplay and vice versa. In a story based game, that can be tricky to pull off. Especially in action games (see, Uncharted; which I love, but the body count of those games is comical contrasted with the tone of those games lol).

While movies and tv have tackled similarly heavy subject matter, the unique aspect of video games (being interactive), adds a layer to it that a movie or tv just can't do. As the player, being the person navigating Ellie and Abby through their stories brings with it a feeling of connection that a film or tv show can't execute (which is why films and tv approach it in a way that works for that medium).

I'm gonna spoiler the rest for folks that may not have played TLOU2, and may want to, or are waiting for Season 2 of the show, because I go into big spoilers here:

I've talked about this game a ton on this site and elsewhere, but one of the things that I tip my had to ND for is how they managed to put me in the headspace of both Ellie and Abby during their sections. I was absolutely on board with Ellie's quest during her side of the story. Well, to a certain point. I know a lot of people have expressed losing empathy or sympathy for Ellie as she further lost herself to her anger and rage, and they view it as some kind of poor design/writing on the part of the team, but that's, like, the point of what they were trying to do. We're supposed to be in Ellie's corner (buoyed by our previous experience with her in TLOU1), and be on board her journey. But as her arc starts to descend, we're supposed to begin to have reservations with her actions and decisions, and feel frustrated and powerless to stop her (which is what her family of Dina, Tommy, and Jesse feel watching her spiral ever downward). By the climax of her journey, we should be screaming at her to just turn back and go home. Let the rage go. But she doesn't.

Anyone that has ever experienced witnessing a loved one spiral knows how painful, and frustrating it is to see them refuse to make different, better decisions, and that's what we experience as we play Ellie's side of the story. After her confrontation with Nora, we should pretty much be off the revenge train with Ellie. The tragic part is that even Ellie herself is shaken by her actions, and is ready to finally turn away, before Abby shows up at the theater and we switch perspective.

The perspective shift is one of the most "Oh shit," moments in the entire story. It seems like it might be just a quick flashback so that we get context to why Abby did what she did, and, I think if that's all ND wanted to do, we would have just gotten that, then returned to the theater for the conclusion of her and Ellie's confrontation, but nope. Because that's not what they were trying to do with Abby's story. Their intent wasn't to just be like "Ok, she's the antagonist, but this is why she did it, isn't that sad?" Instead, they treated Abby with just as much consideration and respect as they do Ellie, by giving her a complete arc, an ascension arc. She's basically Joel, minus the 20 year time jump we got in TLOU1. She did a horrible thing, yet she's still haunted by the death of her father. She gradually discovers a new purpose after meeting Yara and Lev, which conflicts with her world view, much like Joel discovering a new purpose that conflicted with his world view when he met Ellie.

I fucking hated Abby during Ellie's journey. But by the end of Abby's story, I had grown to fucking love her, and appreciate her arc and development as a character. She's an awesome character. Just as great of a lead as Joel and Ellie. I was dreading their theater confrontation by the time I got back to that point after completing Abby's story. I didn't want them to kill one another, and I was relieved when Abby spared Ellie. But then Ellie just couldn't let it go, so once again, I was dreading their next confrontation.

Revenge tales very rarely end with both characters surviving their final encounter. One or both usually die. Having both Ellie and Abby survive TLOU2 opens up so many interesting narrative possibilities for them in the future. Both of their stories end in a more hopeful trajectory than it seems. Ellie has reached a point of understanding and acceptance of Joel and why he did what he did, and because most of her loved ones are still alive (Dina, JJ, Tommy, Maria), she has a chance to rebuild those fractured connections. She leaves Joel behind finally, on top of finally realizing that her life means more than just "being the cure for humanity." Her being the cure isn't why she matters. Not why her life matters. It matters because she's Ellie. Dina and JJ and Tommy don't give a shit that she's might be the cure for humanity. They love her because of who she is. So she's no doubt setting off on a journey to discover what being Ellie means to her, without the weight of humanity's salvation on her shoulders. She may not be able to cure the cordyceps infection, but she might be able to help humanity in a different way. Sure, she lost two fingers, but she's still breathing, and there's still hope to rebuild her relationships with Dina and Tommy.

On the Abby side of the conclusion, her and Lev are able to leave her final confrontation with Ellie alive, and they no doubt set off to join the Fireflies. She lost all of her friends thanks to Ellie's actions, but she gained a new family in Lev. She also gained a new purpose that isn't defined by seeking revenge on her father's killer, or being a badass soldier for the Wolves. Her future is similarly as open as Ellie's. She can forge a new path for her life not dictated by grief and revenge. Maybe she joins up with the Fireflies and they continue to look for a cure. Maybe she realizes that the Fireflies aren't really where she belongs either, and her and Lev go off on their own again and look for a home and new life somewhere else.

Point is, while the ending of TLOU2 isn't sunshine and rainbows, it's also not a dour or tragic ending by any means. It's bittersweet for sure. We lost Joel as well as Jesse, and Abby's supporting cast of Owen, Mel, Manny, etc, but Ellie and Abby's futures aren't necessarily tragic. Until TLOU3 comes along, their stories are fairly open and hopeful. Neither were in a dark place at the end of the game. Obviously, Ellie still has a lot of healing to do mentally and emotionally, but she certainly wasn't distraught by the time the credits rolled. Ditto for Abby. I know the last we see of her is her leaving on the boat with Lev, but it's Abby. She's going to bounce back now that she's free from the slavers, with the new title screen after beating the game implying her and Lev made it to the Fireflies.

Sorry for my ramble, but I just think TLOU2 is so, so good at what it accomplishes narratively on top of its excellent gameplay.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Excited for the ReLink demo. Can't believe we're finally gonna be able to play it

Oct 26, 2023
It's not even just Sony haters or console war stuff!

It's people that loved TLOU1, and they're really, really bitter that ND went the route they did with the narrative. The silly thing is that, had ND played it safe, and just did another Joel and Ellie romp through the post apocalypse, they'd be upset because it was just repetitive "more of the same" shit.

Oh, I don't bother to visit subreddits for divisive games like TLOU2. Ditto for the vast majority of Star Wars discussion on the internet. Fandoms have a way of sucking the joy out of discussing the things they're fans of, and it's just exhausting. I do still love talking about Star Wars and TLOU, but usually with my real life family and friends that are also fans. We don't always agree, but the discussions are infinitely more enjoyable.

Yeah, I think it's just a masterpiece of a game. It's not perfect, of course, no game or show or movie really is, but it executes the vision the team had for the project to a phenomenal degree.

And yeah, one of the reasons why I love TLOU2 so much is how well it taps into emotions that players aren't generally conditioned to feel when playing games. I've been a gamer a long time (since the 80's, cutting my teeth on Atari and NES consoles), and I can't say I've ever played a game that made me feel the way TLOU2 did, or even sat with me for weeks after finishing it. From a gamer perspective, it challenged me emotionally in a way I wasn't expecting. It was a legit emotional roller coaster, tapping into such a wide spectrum of emotions for me, as a gamer. Anger, Sadness, Adrenaline pumping anxiety, Fear, Empathy, Compassion, Joy, Laughter, Excitement, and the typical feeling games try to invoke; satisfaction in kicking ass, or expertly sneaking through a stronghold, taking out enemies. There are more emotions the game tapped into for me, but those were the highlights.

As a game designer, I can't help but be impressed at how well they married the gameplay into the narrative, and the complex emotions they were trying to illicit from the gamer. We always talk about the ludonarrative dissonance in video games (and in particular ND games), but I think TLOU2 threads that needle very, very well. The visceral encounters and violence we experience in the game as the player punctuates the narrative being told in a very organic way. There's a reason for both Ellie and Abby to be doing what they're doing, and it never feels jarring to me going from cutscenes to gameplay and vice versa. In a story based game, that can be tricky to pull off. Especially in action games (see, Uncharted; which I love, but the body count of those games is comical contrasted with the tone of those games lol).

While movies and tv have tackled similarly heavy subject matter, the unique aspect of video games (being interactive), adds a layer to it that a movie or tv just can't do. As the player, being the person navigating Ellie and Abby through their stories brings with it a feeling of connection that a film or tv show can't execute (which is why films and tv approach it in a way that works for that medium).

I'm gonna spoiler the rest for folks that may not have played TLOU2, and may want to, or are waiting for Season 2 of the show, because I go into big spoilers here:

I've talked about this game a ton on this site and elsewhere, but one of the things that I tip my had to ND for is how they managed to put me in the headspace of both Ellie and Abby during their sections. I was absolutely on board with Ellie's quest during her side of the story. Well, to a certain point. I know a lot of people have expressed losing empathy or sympathy for Ellie as she further lost herself to her anger and rage, and they view it as some kind of poor design/writing on the part of the team, but that's, like, the point of what they were trying to do. We're supposed to be in Ellie's corner (buoyed by our previous experience with her in TLOU1), and be on board her journey. But as her arc starts to descend, we're supposed to begin to have reservations with her actions and decisions, and feel frustrated and powerless to stop her (which is what her family of Dina, Tommy, and Jesse feel watching her spiral ever downward). By the climax of her journey, we should be screaming at her to just turn back and go home. Let the rage go. But she doesn't.

Anyone that has ever experienced witnessing a loved one spiral knows how painful, and frustrating it is to see them refuse to make different, better decisions, and that's what we experience as we play Ellie's side of the story. After her confrontation with Nora, we should pretty much be off the revenge train with Ellie. The tragic part is that even Ellie herself is shaken by her actions, and is ready to finally turn away, before Abby shows up at the theater and we switch perspective.

The perspective shift is one of the most "Oh shit," moments in the entire story. It seems like it might be just a quick flashback so that we get context to why Abby did what she did, and, I think if that's all ND wanted to do, we would have just gotten that, then returned to the theater for the conclusion of her and Ellie's confrontation, but nope. Because that's not what they were trying to do with Abby's story. Their intent wasn't to just be like "Ok, she's the antagonist, but this is why she did it, isn't that sad?" Instead, they treated Abby with just as much consideration and respect as they do Ellie, by giving her a complete arc, an ascension arc. She's basically Joel, minus the 20 year time jump we got in TLOU1. She did a horrible thing, yet she's still haunted by the death of her father. She gradually discovers a new purpose after meeting Yara and Lev, which conflicts with her world view, much like Joel discovering a new purpose that conflicted with his world view when he met Ellie.

I fucking hated Abby during Ellie's journey. But by the end of Abby's story, I had grown to fucking love her, and appreciate her arc and development as a character. She's an awesome character. Just as great of a lead as Joel and Ellie. I was dreading their theater confrontation by the time I got back to that point after completing Abby's story. I didn't want them to kill one another, and I was relieved when Abby spared Ellie. But then Ellie just couldn't let it go, so once again, I was dreading their next confrontation.

Revenge tales very rarely end with both characters surviving their final encounter. One or both usually die. Having both Ellie and Abby survive TLOU2 opens up so many interesting narrative possibilities for them in the future. Both of their stories end in a more hopeful trajectory than it seems. Ellie has reached a point of understanding and acceptance of Joel and why he did what he did, and because most of her loved ones are still alive (Dina, JJ, Tommy, Maria), she has a chance to rebuild those fractured connections. She leaves Joel behind finally, on top of finally realizing that her life means more than just "being the cure for humanity." Her being the cure isn't why she matters. Not why her life matters. It matters because she's Ellie. Dina and JJ and Tommy don't give a shit that she's might be the cure for humanity. They love her because of who she is. So she's no doubt setting off on a journey to discover what being Ellie means to her, without the weight of humanity's salvation on her shoulders. She may not be able to cure the cordyceps infection, but she might be able to help humanity in a different way. Sure, she lost two fingers, but she's still breathing, and there's still hope to rebuild her relationships with Dina and Tommy.

On the Abby side of the conclusion, her and Lev are able to leave her final confrontation with Ellie alive, and they no doubt set off to join the Fireflies. She lost all of her friends thanks to Ellie's actions, but she gained a new family in Lev. She also gained a new purpose that isn't defined by seeking revenge on her father's killer, or being a badass soldier for the Wolves. Her future is similarly as open as Ellie's. She can forge a new path for her life not dictated by grief and revenge. Maybe she joins up with the Fireflies and they continue to look for a cure. Maybe she realizes that the Fireflies aren't really where she belongs either, and her and Lev go off on their own again and look for a home and new life somewhere else.

Point is, while the ending of TLOU2 isn't sunshine and rainbows, it's also not a dour or tragic ending by any means. It's bittersweet for sure. We lost Joel as well as Jesse, and Abby's supporting cast of Owen, Mel, Manny, etc, but Ellie and Abby's futures aren't necessarily tragic. Until TLOU3 comes along, their stories are fairly open and hopeful. Neither were in a dark place at the end of the game. Obviously, Ellie still has a lot of healing to do mentally and emotionally, but she certainly wasn't distraught by the time the credits rolled. Ditto for Abby. I know the last we see of her is her leaving on the boat with Lev, but it's Abby. She's going to bounce back now that she's free from the slavers, with the new title screen after beating the game implying her and Lev made it to the Fireflies.

Sorry for my ramble, but I just think TLOU2 is so, so good at what it accomplishes narratively on top of its excellent gameplay.
Amazing post and 110% agree with everything you wrote.

ALSO Abby>Ellie dont@me

Status
Not open for further replies.