• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

retrogamer397

Oct 22, 2018
Instead they're trying to manufacture a BG3 viral hype moment with their shitty jiggly sex doll game and it's just hilarious in the face of their attempts to be seen as a progressive company that cares about strong female characters.

Not sure about that one. Seems like the same level of marketing push from Sony to me. Apart from the pre-release demo which is ultimately Team Ninja's decision to push out.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Because they're trying harder to push it. If they actually gave a shit about Ronin it would've done better.
Ronin got plenty of marketing, possibly more so than Stellar Blade. It got a proper stage at TGA (Which Stellar Blade did not) to announce its release date, shown a lengthy gameplay demo at SoP, a whole bunch of videos on the game, as well as a live action trailer with running ads, it even had on street marketing I believe.

Only thing it didnt have relative to Stellar Blade is a demo, but it was TN's decisions not to make it due to the complexity with the open world.

The issue is Ronin never hit interest with the general audience after the initial reveal trailer in 2022, people just compared it visually to Ghost of Tsushima, while for the hardcore reviews on Ronin turned out mixed with some well known Nioh/From Software fans disliking the combat being "dumbed down" from Nioh (Ive seen impressions in the OT be more positive on that though).

The end result is neither the casual nor hardcore fans were that interested in Ronin and this is what hurt sales. I think it might have been different had Ronin got a demo like Stellar Blade, the latter seems to be benefiting a lot from the demo going by PSN sales charts.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Because they're trying harder to push it. If they actually gave a shit about Ronin it would've done better.

Instead they're trying to manufacture a BG3 viral hype moment with their shitty jiggly sex doll game and it's just hilarious in the face of their attempts to be seen as a progressive company that cares about strong female characters.
There's no such thing as a "progressive" video game company to be clear.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Stellar Blade sales will be interesting to see. Is there actual hype for the game or is it just stupid internet nonsense that is making it seem like a bigger deal than it really is?

In other words, will the mainstream crowd give a shit about this game.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sony's putting more marketing behind Stellar Blade than Rise of the Ronin smh
Its going to outsell Ronin

GKKh4C8W4AA76Z9.jpg%3Alarge

Captura_de_ecra_2024-04-02_072306.png

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I'm well aware. But Sony has been one of the companies that loves to performatively pat itself on the back whenever it can. The problem is that if they think they can make more money by catering to Gamergate 2.0, apparently that's okay with their leadership as well.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I'm well aware. But Sony has been one of the companies that loves to performatively pat itself on the back whenever it can. The problem is that if they think they can make more money by catering to Gamergate 2.0, apparently that's okay with their leadership as well.
GamerGate 2.0 (or 1.0 for that matter) didn't really impact their bottom line (nor will it imo), so they're going to keep ignoring it and focus on making money.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Stellar Blade sales will be interesting to see. Is there actual hype for the game or is it just stupid internet nonsense that is making it seem like a bigger deal than it really is?

Obviously not everyone that tried the demo will translate to a sale but the demo has almost 9k reviews and it only came out 4 days ago. For reference Ronin has 6.3k reviews and Dragons Dogma 2 has 13k, I think the interest for the game is there lol.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Ronin got plenty of marketing, possibly more so than Stellar Blade. It got a proper stage at TGA (Which Stellar Blade did not) to announce its release date, shown a lengthy gameplay demo at SoP, a whole bunch of videos on the game, as well as a live action trailer with running ads, it even had on street marketing I believe.

Only thing it didnt have relative to Stellar Blade is a demo, but it was TN's decisions not to make it due to the complexity with the open world.

I said all of this to him in the RotR thread yesterday or so but I guess he'll just keep pushing that false narrative.

For Stellar Blade what really made the difference was the demo, when I was checking how Hi-Fi Rush was performing on PS Store not long ago I remember seeing Stellar Blade out of the top 100 in countries like Germany and France, and quite low in US and UK as well. Like 2 days after the demo it got a significant boost and now appears it's in the 20s spots in all those countries.

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Rise of the Ronin had a lot of marketing, including several blog posts and trailers. In fact, the game received 10 trailers in a space of one month. I even saw commercials on TV for Rise of the Ronin.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

It's the latter but the problem is a lot of gamers are chuds and are supporting this game.

Dec 6, 2023
Ronin has a billboard up in my small European town. I've seen a trailer for it right before Dune 2. It got featured in multiple events. Genuinely don't know where the "no marketing" stuff is coming from.

Sep 6, 2022
I think it might have been different had Ronin got a demo like Stellar Blade, the latter seems to be benefiting a lot from the demo going by PSN sales charts.
Can confirm I had next to no interest in Stellar Blade until I tried the demo and saw that the core gameplay loop is actually solid.

A good demo can win more people over than any high review scores. Since it allows you to either dispel or confirm your doubts.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Solid PS+ month. Played Dave the Diver on Steamdeck but may do another run through via PS Portal with the Godzilla DLC. Stoked about Zau.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unicorn Overlord, FF16, FF7 Rebirth and Stellar Blade are the last demos I played to be fair.

I agree that recent demos have been amazing. I hate myself for trying Unicorn because I will not be playing the full game for a long time.

That said, I've seen some demos and betas basically kill all momentum for some games.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I might be trapped on my back forever.

If Bloodborne Remastered comes out don't tell me.

O65XOK.jpeg

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Looking at the other games, man PS users are really just weebs.

No wonder why that Sony group exec said their is a cross correlation between CrunchyRoll users and PS users.
I checked the Xbox amazon top sellers (which tbh might not be a fair look cause a chunk of their userbase is digital or only on GP) but comparing it to the PS5 top sellers... yeah we're a bunch of weebs in comparison LOL

Roronoa_Zoro

Jan 15, 2022
Pittsburgh
Its going to outsell Ronin

GKKh4C8W4AA76Z9.jpg%3Alarge

Captura_de_ecra_2024-04-02_072306.png
4/6 Amazon top sellers being exclusives is pretty crazy for Sony. Hopefully both Ronin and this do well as I've been enjoying both. Waiting on my Persona 3 physical version to try that series out.

I like a mid-sized game like this will apparently be (40 hours with collectibles and side missions) and apparently phantom blade 0 will be about the same. Need more games that know when to end

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Stellar Blade getting a demo and Ronin not getting one was far more up to the devs than Sony.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
Apart from no demo, the release date did no favors for Ronin too. They didn't highlight coop, character customization enough.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on video game marketing but there are times where I'm left wondering what companies were thinking. Leaving out like cool features or burying the actual type of game it is.

Like Banishers is my GOTY so far. From just watching the trailers, it would be hard to tell that it's actually a meaty ARPG with gameplay and level design akin to the new God of Wars.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I agree that Ronin not getting a demo or beta or whatever like Nioh, Wo-Long and SoP was a very odd choice.

Niohs demo is what sold me on getting the game when it clicked for me.

This is why I think sony should at least leverage the game trial stuff.

psyrus

Aug 10, 2023
Like seriously, didn't they used to be a thread about how our consoles are linked to genocide, slave labor and concentration camps. Yet we have OT's dedicated mostly to cheering and hyping up the actions of these companies ( I'm also guilty). They are here to make money first and foremost, and they will put on whatever mask that fits that directive in the moment, sometime those actions will be progressive, most times it won't be.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Like seriously, didn't they used to be a thread about how our consoles are linked to genocide, slave labor and concentration camps. Yet we have OT's dedicated mostly to cheering and hyping up the actions of these companies ( I'm also guilty). They are here to make money first and foremost, and they will put on whatever mask that fits that directive in the moment, sometime those actions will be progressive, most times it won't be.
Not gonna lie, didn't think I'd see you be one to make this kind of statement, but you're right.
This amounts to a cognitive dissonance we all end up having to live with if we intend to keep gaming on PlayStation or in general, I suppose.

What I want to know is if the people who are seriously pressed by SIE/PS' involvement with Shift Up are going to boycott, divest, and sanction. Is this infraction severe enough?

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
The co-op should just be the whole game rather than specific missions too. It's why my brother didn't get it
Co-op in Rise of the Ronin is pretty disappointing to me. Pretty restrictive, and the missions you're allowed to do co-op aren't very long or interesting. Feels like a step down from the co-op in the Niohs and Wo-Long. But I still like the game a lot, just not for the same reasons as I liked their previous games, which all felt like true full co-op games. Ronin co-op feels like a side dish.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Not gonna lie, didn't think I'd see you be one to make this kind of statement, but you're right.
This amounts to a cognitive dissonance we all end up having to live with if we intend to keep gaming on PlayStation or in general, I suppose.

What I want to know is if the people who are seriously pressed by SIE/PS' involvement with Shift Up are going to boycott, divest, and sanction. Is this infraction severe enough?
I mean this is a consumer facing forum and even the most strident critics of Stellar Blade still financially support Sony in other ways. There's your answer pretty much. I've seen no movement to boycott Sony over their affiliation of this game. Nor do I think there should be tbh

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
It's the truth. Whether it's PlayStation or Xbox or Nintendo we are all giving our money to awful people doing terrible things. There's no way to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.