• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
SIE has allot they could potentially announce (with release dates in 2025-2026) that I wonder how they going to announce things.
All in one show or more spread out.
They could use SoP's to show Wolverine again or even at the TGA. But I expect DS2 to show up at the TGA so not sure they will show two huge games at the TGA.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Given MS and their efforts to port more games to PS, I wonder if Insomniac might be allowed to port Sunset Overdrive to PS4/5
Insomniac themselves? That I can't see happening, they were already on some tight schedules before they were forced to layoff staff. A third party studio to do the port could work but at this point I don't think Sony will see any point when they have much better selling IP they can put their money towards, iirc Sunset never exactly set the world on fire.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, it's finally happened. Done with Ubisoft. Literally dropped and deleted Valhalla. Sometimes you just need a break from a game before you hop back into it, ya know? Not this time amigos. I've given that company so many second chances, but it's here and now that I FINALLY realize - I'm tired of Ubisoft games. It's official. Mark it down.

Had no desire to play FC Horizons, Watchdogs Legion, Far Cry 6. The Division bored me after a few hours, never touched 2. Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six have never interested me either.

I picked up AC Odyssey 2 weeks ago and kind-of, sort-of rushed through it after I realized I didn't give a damn about the story. It was "fun" enough to play to the end. Few side content here and there, like the mythological creatures. But then Valhalla… Holy fuck. A dozen hours in and I'm just staring at the map screen telling myself, "man, I don't really wanna do this". So I stopped playing 🤷‍♂️.

I've played so many Ubisoft games and it's the same experience over and over again… Yea, I think this is it. The very fiber of my being has finally taken notice of the trend and deep down I know it won't change. I would LOVE to think that AC Red will come out and completely reinvent that particular franchise, but let's be real. It won't.

You should really try AC mirage and the new prince of persia as both are a breath of fresh air and break away from the Odyssey/Valhalla template. Especially prince of persia is one of the best metroidvanias this year with awesome bosses and can be beaten in 15 hours.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not really, but then i don't focus mainly on AAA releases. I find games like Hi-Fi Rush and Dave the Diver far more fun and unique. Also Animal Well is coming soon and looks quite interesting as well!

That's the other thing I didn't mention in my post. Personally, one of the best things I think happened to console gaming was when Microsoft embraced indie game developers with Xbox Live Arcade, and Sony followed suit with PSN, and Nintendo followed suit with the Eshop.

I didn't have a good gaming computer at the time (like, for real, it barely ran anything), and so many indie devs were largely on PC because of development cost on console (like dev kits), that push for more indie games on consoles really broadened my gaming horizons and introduced me to genres of games I didn't have much of an interest in.

I say all this to say that thanks to the amount of indie games that release on PS consoles (and Xbox and Nintendo platforms too, of course), I am never at a shortage for games to play.

Additionally, many enthusiast gamers opine about missing the "good old days" of the PS1 and PS2 (and even the PS3 era), where Sony was more apt to produce smaller scale, quirky, experimental, or just plain old non-AAA titles, when the truth is that they don't have to, because there are hundreds of developers out there still bringing those experiences to consoles.

For me, personally, I don't care if it has a PS Studios, Xbox Game Studios, or Nintendo logo slapped onto it. I just want to see these types of games continue to be made and released on the platform(s) I own, and do well, so we can get more.

Indie devs have really been keeping that spirit of those "yesteryear" games alive, and I'm incredibly appreciative of it, while Sony and MS do what they do to produce the AAA showpiece titles that get people to drool over their latest hardware.

We're truly living in an era of gaming where we can get the best of both worlds, and there is no shortage of any of it, from small scale to blockbuster.

I still need to play Hi Fi Rush and Dave the Diver. Maybe after I beat Prince of Persia.

And Animal Well does look really cool! I'm looking forward to that one.

Jul 2, 2021
Stellar Blade suit:
costume.jpg
GOTY contender confirmed!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
God it's so disappointing this piece of shit is the game they're aggressively marketing. Out of all the games they could push, it had to be Incel May Cry.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Has to be something, I haven't seen this kind of push from Sony since forever, using almost every channel they got to advertise.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I don't think Insomniac themselves would port Sunset Overdrive when they could be working on new games.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
Has to be something, I haven't seen this kind of push from Sony since forever, using almost every channel they got to advertise.
They probably have data suggesting this game is gonna sell really well so they up the marketing to try and increase their ROI, maybe lol I'm not a business person

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024

PantsGuy82

Feb 16, 2022
amazing marketing for this game, hopefully it sells a lot, word of mouth is doing wonders, i am seeing lots of people hyped for this game, cant wait for reviews as well, but yeah, sony is giving this a very very well first party threatment, every sony account is doing marketing for stellar blade, and is being very effective!!

This game is going to sell like gangbusters and I LOVE to see it. Despite all the reductive and predictable discourse surrounding Stellar Blade, it warms my little gay heart to see it break through the all of the noise. Friday cannot come soon enough. :)

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Just need to finally beat the game and I will have the Alan Wake 2 platinum.

Just in time for Fallout 4 current gen and Sand Land!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Sunset Overdrive could live again maybe if PS Productions also involved. 🤷

Collaborate with Pictures, they ought to know how to make cheesy action/comedy low Rotten Tomatoes film Sony Pictures style. 🙃

wiIdcard

Oct 25, 2018
I Doubt Stellar Blade will sell huge numbers. But the pre-orders are probably bigger than Sony expected. If it reaches Bayonetta 3 numbers would it be good enough? 1 million in three months. Or Bayonetta 3 was considered a flop?

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I Doubt Stellar Blade will sell huge numbers. But the pre-orders are probably bigger than Sony expected. If it reaches Bayonetta 3 numbers would it be good enough? 1 million in three months. Or Bayonetta 3 was considered a flop?
1 million copies in 4 months for a new IP from a studio that never worked on a console game, seems really good.

But then again, I have no idea wat their expectations are

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is the definition of a game only people who still post on video game forums would care about, there's no reason to bring it back in any form.

Azn012

May 17, 2022
I think a good comparison would be lies of pi that game was multiplatform, sold 1 million in less than a month and it was a success so if stellar blade can do 1 or 2 millions in a single platform it would be huge. Anyone expecting stellar blade to sell millions in a week needs a reality check and not let themselves get carried away by the marketing

Last edited:

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
If this game sells better than Bayonetta that would be a huge achievement. It is in the realm of possibility if the word of mouth is favorable.

The way Sony is heavily marketing this game towards Asian countries is the most interesting for me, because I don't think Sony has had a game like this tailor made for Asia/Japan in a very, very long time. If it succeeds we may have more investment from Sony into Asian/Japanese big budget games which what I am interested in.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I will try it. I'm also looking forward to playing Nier Replicant. I love character action games and missed a lot being Nintendo only. Any recommendations? I do want to try Elden Ring. Not a fan of FPS at all.

A few suggestions:
  • Demon's Souls (this might be a good game to try before Elden Ring?) Gameplay is very similar but levels are generally linear vs. Elden Ring's very open open world
  • The Dark Souls series is great too and evolves the gameplay of Demon's Souls with much more open design (but not actually open world). Not sure if you've played these are I think they are on Switch
  • Many people (myself included) consider Bloodborne to be the best Souls-like game in the genre. It's basically Dark Souls crossed with Gothic horror
  • I like the Darksiders games (again, I think they're on Switch?). They're all quite different in structure but good fairly light character-action games
  • The Devil May Cry series. I've only played the first three but they're all on PS5 and apparently DMC4 & 5 are both very good. You can skip DMC2 though as it's awful
  • The God of War series. You've got GoW 3, GoW 2018 and GoW Ragnarok available on PS5 so it's difficult to play the whole series nowadays. You can play 2018 & Ragnarok standalone but a lot of the protagonist's development will be lost. You can kind of jump in with GoW3 but I would recommend at the absolute minimum to look up the backstory if you do
  • I assume you're aware of it but Nier Automata would be a good game to check out after Replicant
  • Sifu is kind of a character-action game and is basically you playing through a kung fu movie. It's mostly realistic but sometimes dips into fantastical stuff

If you like Elden Ring/the Souls games and you want more there is a huge sub-genre with games like The Surge, Salt & Sacrifice, Ashen, Lies of P, Death's Gambit, Mortal Shell, Death's Door and Blasphemous.

How are these games? I have never really played them and this trailer looks kind of cool.

I love the Cat Quest games. They're incredibly simple but fun top-down adventures a bit like Zelda games from the SNES or Game Boy. They're pretty funny with lots of ameowsing puns, but I would say if you want something really lightweight (with easy Platinums!) then check out some videos and pick them up when they're on sale.

Got the Plat for both of them and they are really fun games.
Think of a Cat-Themed Skyrim with Simpler Mechanics.

Yaas, I love them and also have both Platinums. Such nice palette cleansers.

I'm hating but IDK who at Sony keeps believing in the Medievil IP.

Especially if it's really getting a show adaptation & a Medievil 2 Remake.

Like the stolen sales data only had the first remake selling 504k. The $40 Knack 2 performed better than the $30 Medievil Remake. And out of all the Sony IPs besides Gravity Rush & Bloodborne that Other Ocean could possibly remake or remaster instead like Sly, Jak & Daxter, Ape Escape, Dark Cloud, Killzone, InFamous, Twisted Metal, a Housemarque Collection, etc. Like why Medievil, wtf.

EDIT - apparently the Medievil remaster thing is fake?

Lol, Shu is right though. Applying for a global manager position with no experience would just be a waste of everyone's time.

Probably TLoU Part 3, Ghost of Tsushima 2 and GTAVI, with God of War finishing very closely in fourth.

We have literally nothing on Barlog's next game right? I'd love to see whatever he might be cookin..

We know literally nothing about it. There have been various hints that it will be a sci-fi game but absolutely nothing reliable. It's assumed to be a new IP but we don't even know that for sure.

why would there be consequences? MS is accepting their position as one of the biggest third party publishers. We get more games on PlayStation. everyone wins. what even is the thought process here?

Everything has to be Warz. I suppose it's like the videogame equivalent of everything having to be culture wars to right-wing ballbags.

I hate to put this energy but what are y'all's contingency plans if( it will not) this showcase also turned up like the last one??
Retiring from resetera? , retiring from gaming (lol)? , retiring to the Himalayas? or just go ehh it's gonna be okay?! I hope it's the last one 😅😅

I don't have a 'contingency' but if it's bad again I'll definitely take a break from this topic and possibly this whole forum for a while.

I despise that I can't use my Amazon digital gift card balance to buy psn cards

What?! Man, that's bullshit. I didn't know they limited what you could spend credit on.

Is this what it takes to finally get an Avatar: The Last Airbender MMO?!

If this happens I wonder what they'd do with Paramount+, seeing how that service is still losing Paramount a ton of money with Sony currently being more than fine just selling their stuff to Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Peacock and so on.

Paramount+ - like most of these Netflix-equivalent streaming platforms - has been a money pit so far and unless there's a quick path to be profitable I can't see Sony keeping it around. Their plan to farm out content to other providers has worked very well so far and I doubt they can just put Sony productions like Better Call Saul, The Boys or Who Wants to be a Millionaire on there as they will have existing contracts with other platforms.

Seeing Fallout games increased after the successful show reminds me of how SIE couldn't capitalized Twisted Metal because of previous news.

Firesprite studio's problems + "early development & not even greenlit Twisted Metal live service"...

When (if) the 2nd season successful, they probably could only offer old games.

Well, if the old games increased like Fallout, then that's good for them, I guess.

🙄🤷

Fallout is a really big franchise even before the TV show, and this has reinvigorated interest in the games (two of which are easily available on all platforms). Twisted Metal has never had anything like that level of popularity, but what they should have done is get a new game in production about 4 years ago when the deal for a TV show was signed and try to have something ready for when

Casting live action Kratos must be quite a pain in the ass.

Yeah, it must be difficult. They need someone who is big and imposing, can act insular, soft and sensitive when needed and explosively angry. They also need someone of the right age who will be wanting to do this for 10+ years I imagine.

I just started watching Silo.

Cast Winston Duke

winston.jpg

He's also 6'5, so he's even taller than Judge.

Good choice; I love Winston Duke.

Is it true this turned out to be a troll? It definitely doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Sony would bring this back with a big-budget remake out of all of their dormant IPs.

Lol, this is amazing! No doubt this is Evil Sony forcing them to make these short animations!

Nice waste of money besides there is little point to discuss this on gaming side.

Sony are desperately trying to get new movie IP though, which is why so many of their games are being turned into films. It's entirely possible that if they acquired stuff like Star Trek, Top Gun and TMNT we'd see that impact the games they make.

Sony Pictures has not been on decline for years.

Capture.png

Well, this shows their revenue, but has their profit over the last 6-8 years followed a similar uptick?

Pretty sure Sony Pictures is loosing them more money after the new Ghostbusters Movie flop than Pixel, London and Japan Studios together lol

Ghostbusters has made $176m so far on a $100m budget. It will probably turn a small profit in the long-run once you factor in DVD sales, VOD & rentals, TV distribution rights, etc. Not that I am defending the closure of those studios though.

If more Microsoft games keep being ported to playstation is there any reason to keep comparing playstation and Xbox output? It would be like comparing ea or take two to playstation

Personally I'm really happy with MS porting a lot of their games over. If stuff like Hellblade 2 and Starfield really are coming to PS5 it'd be even greater. If they ever port Halo: MCC I could probably get rid of my Xbox Series S as I hardly ever play it.

Kudos to you for taking the time to talk to fucking everyone! Happy Friday indeed! hahaha

Let me know if you find any good deals, I'm usually on it year after year finding the best back alley shady deals. But this is the first year that I couldn't care less about game pass and PS+. I buy most new games day one and all the bangers that hit PS+ I already usually own. But it sometimes it is nice just to add a few titles each month, and I do want it for cloud saves and online MP.

And now I am replying to you replying to me so the circle is complete! Happy Friday Tuesday to you too!

And no, I didn't find any good deals and ended up paying £100 to re-sub for the year. You could reduce the cost a little by buying credit from ShopTo, but I don't think there are any other good offers at the moment.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If this game sells better than Bayonetta that would be a huge achievement. It is in the realm of possibility if the word of mouth is favorable.

The way Sony is heavily marketing this game towards Asian countries is the most interesting for me, because I don't think Sony has had a game like this tailor made for Asia/Japan in a very, very long time. If it succeeds we may have more investment from Sony into Asian/Japanese big budget games which what I am interested in.

Sony already pushing hard into Asian it's just that they don't really make these sort of games out side Japan .
SK know for MMO and mobile and China is the same thing .
It only now we see console like AAA from those countries on the WW stage and the gatch AAA games Sony already got them on lock down.
IF SB sell a million that good if they get to 2 million that amazing .

rmmontoto

Jan 25, 2021
Oporto, Portugal
What is the opinion in PS-ERA about if we are going to see the new game (presumably new IP) from ND this year. I would say that if that's the case, I can only see it happening at the TGA in December.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is the opinion in PS-ERA about if we are going to see the new game (presumably new IP) from ND this year. I would say that if that's the case, I can only see it happening at the TGA in December.

Only if Naughty Dog is fine with showing their game early. I'm still in the camp that we won't get a new game from them until 2026 at the earliest.

rmmontoto

Jan 25, 2021
Oporto, Portugal
Only if Naughty Dog is fine with showing their game early. I'm still in the camp that we won't get a new game from them until 2026 at the earliest.
I also see it as 2026 as earliest, but one wild guess I have been thinking lately, is that I think that ND is participating in the development of a new uncharted only in the creative process of that. I mean, Shaun Escayg has to be doing something there since 2021, sooo maybe we can see that? Probably it is just wishful thinking

I don't think PlayStation give TGA a new Naughty Dog IP reveal.

The first TLOU was announced in the old the game awards, and part 1 was announced in the summer games fest from Geoff also. I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.