Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Forgot about the timeline for PS4 Pro.

How were console sales up to the release after the acknowledgment? Did they drop stronger?

It's not a like for like as PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro were in the peak year of PS4 in 2016.

Worldwide PlayStation®4 Hardware Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: millions)

Q1
(April – June)
Q2
(July – September)
Q3
(October – December)
Q4
(January – March)
FY
(April – March)
FY20134.53.17.6
FY20142.83.46.42.314.8
FY20152.94.08.42.417.7
FY20163.53.99.72.920.0
FY20173.34.29.02.519.0

Worldwide PlayStation®5 Hardware Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: millions)

Q1
(April – June)
Q2
(July – September)
Q3
(October – December)
Q4
(January – March)
FY
(April – March)
FY20204.53.37.8
FY20212.33.33.92.011.5
FY20222.43.37.16.319.1
FY20233.34.98.216.4

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Grubb with some speculation about a new Sly game

View: https://youtu.be/BPtzkxO0Ges?t=412

So he's speculating that Ghost 2 might be taking longer because Sucker Punch has another project such as a new Sly Cooper. Not happening, Sucker Punch 2 years ago said no such game is in development or in their plans https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...obody-is-working-on-the-ips-currently.602850/
Is Ghost taking longer than expected? If it comes out next fall that'll be 5 years which seems about right given Covid, Legends and the Directors cut.
I'd be quite surprised if it's next year. 2 years between announcement and release for the big single player games makes a lot of sense to me.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Is Ghost taking longer than expected? If it comes out next fall that'll be 5 years which seems about right given Covid, Legends and the Directors cut.

It's probably just a case that it's far more ambitious than the original. That game is very straight forward for an open world game when you really look at its parts.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sucker Punch didn't put their next AAA game on hold to make a sequel to a cartoony puzzle platformer in a franchise that's never sold particularly well.

C'mon, folks. C'mon.

giphy.gif

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I could assume Sucker Punch still one project studio, so any thoughts of making another game as might as well use those manpower & resources to finish the current project.

But assuming for another AA game, like Sly, after Tsushima sequel is up to them. 🤷

No matter how small 0.01% chance of happening, lol.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sucker Punch didn't put their next AAA game on hold to make a sequel to a cartoony puzzle platformer in a franchise that's never sold particularly well.

C'mon, folks. C'mon.

giphy.gif
Yep, no shot I'm getting my hopes up for a new Sly from Sucker Punch. Infamous would probably be on the table before it would and neither are going to take priority over Ghost 2.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Is there anything stopping Sony reaching out to Tango and saying they will set up a new studio and employ them all?

Because that seems like the bargain of the century for Sony. They get a GotY candidate game maker without paying anything to buy them, just some office space and dev kits. Not only that but it would be the best PR they could possibly ask for.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Yeah i dont see SP working on Sly Cooper before they finish GoT2.
The only thing I could see happening, if there are rumblings about a Sly Cooper game in development, is that its currently in pre production with a small team.
If GoT2 releases in the next 1,5 years then pre production probably already started on the next project.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything stopping Sony reaching out to Tango and saying they will set up a new studio and employ them all?

Because that seems like the bargain of the century for Sony. They get a GotY candidate game maker without paying anything to buy them, just some office space and dev kits. Not only that but it would be the best PR they could possibly ask for.

Tango is gone. They'd need to reach out to every individual developer.

Yeah i dont see SP working on Sly Cooper before they finish GoT2.
The only thing I could see happening, if there are rumblings about a Sly Cooper game in development, is that its currently in pre production with a small team.
If GoT2 releases in the next 1,5 years then pre production probably already started on the next project.

Sucker Punch isn't a multi-game studio and they've been very open about that. They'll finish whatever their current project is and THEN move on to their next.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017

Sony gonna love that cape in the game.

The symbol of AH and fan celebration of a reviewbomb campaign that led to Sony their business partner needing to a reverse a policy (account linking) other large publishers practice, and bringing attention to a long-standing issue (Sony's lack of official psn support for many regions) leading to stoppage of sales to those regions for not only AH and Sony's own game, but maybe future Sony games as well until fixed.

Such a weird partnership lol.

Both parties rn:
star-wars-lando.gif

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Sony themselves having no interest in such a thing I'd say.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
That's not just some bad speculation from Grubb is wild to be honest.

Sucker Punch will not delay the inevitable new entry for their new and successful IP to work on a franchise that they confirmed they are not working on.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing that could make sense is XDEV partnering with an external studio for Sly 5, with some consulting from Sucker Punch, just like with Sanzaru for Sly 4. But I'm not even sure, at this point it's more likely PlayStation Productions does something with the IP than PS Studios.

SP is definitely mostly on Ghost 2.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's been clear for a while now GoT 2 will only take as long to develop as modern day boundary pushing open-world sequels like HFW or DS2.

Not sure why Grubb thinks it's been longer than we expected.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It's been clear for a while now GoT 2 will only take as long to develop as modern day boundary pushing open-world sequels like HFW or DS2.

Not sure why Grubb thinks it's been longer than we expected.

They've also got to be fully aware that it's inevitably going to be compared to ACRed, which is also taking place in Japan.

Azn012

May 17, 2022
Sucker punch literally put a statement saying there's no sly or infamous in developement at their studio or any other studio. They are small and dont have enough people to work on 2 games at the same time and delaying got for sly would be weird decision especially after closing pixel opus and london nstudios

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously we don't have a clue if Sony has any interest to do something like that but it seems that they did something similar with the Deviation developers.

I think that was more a case of them hiring Blundell specifically and then him tracking down select staff to bring in. They didn't just absorb all of Deviation.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Sucker punch literally put a statement saying there's no sly or infamous in developement at their studio or any other studio. They are small and dont have enough people to work on 2 games at the same time and delaying got for sly would be weird decision especially after closing pixel opus and london nstudios
This too

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Obviously we don't have a clue if Sony has any interest to do something like that but it seems that they did something similar with the Deviation developers.

That's what got me thinking - they did the exact same thing with Deviation though that was more of a case of the studio imploding and them taking the good staff to form a new one.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
God of War trilogy remake seems completely pointless and a waste of resources IMO.

And who tf is remaking Bloodborne if Bluepoint is busy with that??
There's always From Software themselves.

Miyazaki's recent interview this year revealed they have multiple projects in the works while confirming theres no plan for an Elden Ring sequel at this time.

As much as I would love for that to happen, Tencent or Netease is way more likely to recruit former Tango devs to form a new Japanese studio than Sony with how much both are willing to double down on Japan.

Dezpim

Mar 22, 2024
It's probably just a case that it's far more ambitious than the original. That game is very straight forward for an open world game when you really look at its parts.
Yeh I'm expecting a massive glow up from a production value stand point. The side content cutscenes in the first was especially weak and some elements like the stand off system felt a little jank in how it was implemented. Also probably expect more urban environments if its set in mainland Japan which will take a ton of assets to realise well and stand up to AC Red.

Oct 28, 2017
What if sucker punch is working on something smaller, like miles Morales/lost legacy sized but it's not sly cooper or infamous? New IP? Licensed property?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What if sucker punch is working on something smaller, like miles Morales/lost legacy sized but it's not sly cooper or infamous? New IP? Licensed property?

They've already said outright that they're not a multi-project studio and there's no chance they stopped developing Ghost to make a new IP.

There's always From Software themselves.

Miyazaki's recent interview this year revealed they have multiple projects in the works while confirming theres no plan for an Elden Ring sequel at this time.

Miyazaki does not see a point in remakes. I cannot imagine he would be interested in wasting his (or his devs) time doing a graphical update on Bloodborne. If they revisit Bloodborne it'll be an entirely new game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh I'm expecting a massive glow up from a production value stand point. The side content cutscenes in the first was especially weak and some elements like the stand off system felt a little jank in how it was implemented. Also probably expect more urban environments if its set in mainland Japan which will take a ton of assets to realise well and stand up to AC Red.

There also just wasn't a whole lot to do in the world itself. When you're just running around the world and not doing missions or side content, the only things you'll run across are a pack of three boars, a bear, a bear fighting two enemies, or a patrolling group. And as far as I know you couldn't force them into fighting one another. Like luring a bear into a group of enemies, or even luring them into an enemy camp as a distraction. You could only use bears or boars for that if you found them in the actual camp. There's a lot that can be done to just give the world more life.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they wont make games for the ones that wasted their money on PSVR2.
People are even making excuses for them. In fact most even happy they "wont waste games on PSVR2"

We talking about a conpany that is not even porting their old games from PSVR1 to be playable on PSVR2.

I'm not going to create a create a scenario in my head to be upset about it, so it's possible Sony might still do the right thing and do even a VR mode in the Astro game. And if they just do that, or comes with the old game to VR I will give them a pass.

If not, I will put my headseat on Ebay and hope someone is dumb enough to buy it.
And buy a Quest, and never buy any hardware from Sony again

Sony not porting any PSVR1 games whatsoever, not taking that golden opportunity of a TloU Remake to bring it to VR was quite telling, with the outstanding series it would've been quite the combo...Capcom managed to port RE4 (a third person GOAT) to VR, why couldn't Sony?

The list goes on, the only light in the tunnel was and still is GT7. I liked Call of the Mountain, but such projects are absolutely out of the question for Sony, it's either hybrid or nothing at all, because the PSVR2 market is far too small to carry these expensive VR only games.

Astro Bot needs to be at least a hybrid, I agree that it'll flop spectacularly if it's VR only, but Sony should know that by now and either accept it and subsidize the costs and then let them move on to another project, or make it a hybrid from the start.

If it fails to sell in good numbers people will happily blame its hybrid nature "it's not a pure flat game, of course it wasn't going to set the charts on fire" "game play sucks because it was held back by its VR mode" etc.

If Sony is working on PSVR3, which I seriously doubt, they'll need to do better in the coming years or nobody will show up to buy it, I sure as hell wouldn't.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Sony gonna love that cape in the game.

The symbol of AH and fan celebration of a reviewbomb campaign that led to Sony their business partner needing to a reverse a policy (account linking) other large publishers practice, and bringing attention to a long-standing issue (Sony's lack of official psn support for many regions) leading to stoppage of sales to those regions for not only AH and Sony's own game, but maybe future Sony games as well until fixed.

Such a weird partnership lol.
In the grand schemes of thigs this doesnt matter and could be even better for sony, as this will make people forget even more about the recent backlash, and people will go to play the game and spend money on it, i doubt sony really cares about a cape at all

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Im very skeptical about this GoW remake trilogy rumor from that Nick Shepshal guy for several reasons:

1) He said it was being "remastered". Is he conflating remaster with remake or is it really just a remaster?

2) He said he heard it "might" be happening. He also said that he isnt sure if its a port of the ps3 remasters or a remake.

3) A full-on remake of all three games with the new gameplay would be a huge project. You'd basically be making three new games.

4) GoW3 already got remastered for PS4 years ago.

5) Sony is usually pretty apathetic about their first-party classics. Even though GoW is much bigger than it's ever been, a remake trilogy (even with the classic gameplay) would be a major undertaking for a publisher who usually doesn't care about its classics. Most of their classics on ps4&ps5 are either streaming only or aren't available.

I find it more believable for them to port the first two games to ps4 & ps5 for gow1's 20th anniversary. But that would be a stretch even if it's cheaper than remastering or remaking them.

The source: https://www.youtube.com/live/d0K-562uBMg?si=ZNHlGNsCmkWe2Bmg&t=6926

Last edited:

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I hope Grubb didn't mean that Ghost 2 is not being shown in the showcase, because that's the feeling I'm getting from this.

Projects being more ambitious is not enough to justify such long dev cycles, the ambition of the game should be planned beforehand to fit an acceptable developement time.
Games taking this long to make is bad for the consumers, that get less content, and for the company, loger dev times make the budgets inflate and games not releasing make profits thinner.
And when companies get less profits usually it's consumers and employees that get bad consequences, you know it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Im very skeptical about this GoW remake trilogy rumor from that Nick Shepshal guy for several reasons:

1) He said it was being "remastered". Is he conflating remaster with remake or is it really just a remaster?

2) He said he heard it "might" be happening. He also said that he isnt sure if its a port of the ps3 remasters or a remake.

3) A full-on remake of all three games with the new gameplay would be a huge project. You'd basically be making three new games.

4) Sony is usually pretty apathetic about their first-party classics. Even though GoW is much bigger than it's ever been, a remake trilogy (even with the classic gameplay) would be a major undertaking for a publisher who usually doesn't care about its classics. Most of their classics on ps4&ps5 are either streaming only or aren't available.

I find it more believable for them to port the first two games to ps4 & ps5 for gow1's 20th anniversary. But that would be a stretch even if it's cheaper than remastering or remaking them.

The source: https://www.youtube.com/live/d0K-562uBMg?si=ZNHlGNsCmkWe2Bmg&t=6926

Yeah, doing a remake collection of three God of War games is insane fan dream world bullshit. If Sony WAS considering doing full remakes of the entire GoW Greek trilogy, it would be handled like the REmakes and done one at a time so they can charge for each of them.

Expecting Sony to do a full-gameplay-pivot remake of three entire games and stick them together into a collection is a fever dream idea that no one should even entertain as plausible.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
I've just thought, if Ragnakrok pc announcement is at the showcase then a lot of people are going to get baited to hell and back when that sms logo pops up on the screen 🤣

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
In the grand schemes of thigs this doesnt matter and could be even better for sony, as this will make people forget even more about the recent backlash, and people will go to play the game and spend money on it, i doubt sony really cares about a cape at all
You're most likely right. I was thinking more of what the cape represents and the confrontational relationship they seem to have.

Straight up frenemies energy.
"Mean Companies" 😁

But I would totally watch an actual documentary on this whole evolving situation.

Azn012

May 17, 2022
I hope Grubb didn't mean that Ghost 2 is not being shown in the showcase, because that's the feeling I'm getting from this.

Projects being more ambitious is not enough to justify such long dev cycles, the ambition of the game should be planned beforehand to fit an acceptable developement time.
Games taking this long to make is bad for the consumers, that get less content, and for the company, loger dev times make the budgets inflate and games not releasing make profits thinner.
And when companies get less profits usually it's consumers and employees that get bad consequences, you know it.
He is implying that but thats just him hoping or coping because he likes those kind of games. Got is taking as long as hfw and gowr its only been 4 years after a dlc and the mp mode

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I've just thought, if Ragnakrok pc announcement is at the showcase then a lot of people are going to get baited to hell and back when that sms logo pops up on the screen 🤣

Nah, it'll be easy to tell, if the SMS logo doesn't show up as an opener or closer, it'll be the PC announcement.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Was there a thread that was just posted about Grubb saying that Dreadwolf was coming this year and everyone is happy with it? I can't find it anymore.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Give me a new Infamous instead of a boomer mascot game 😤