HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
Really hoping HD2 numbers are big enough to make the report broadly positive. Tired of bad news and would be nice to see another good result outside of Capcom.

In any case the showcase announcement, if it comes this week, should set a positive tone.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Quick Question: I'm on a catch-up-on-DLC-during-slow-period kick right now and is there any release available in PS+ that includes the Iki Island DLC with Ghost of Tsushima? Or is it purchasable only? Don't mind buying it, just don't wanna spend if I don't need to!

Appollowexx

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone end up playing Goodbye Volcano High? I remember it from the PS5 reveal Showcase in 2020, but it seemed to launch without alot of fanfare.

Looking for a few cosy indies to play and thinking I might check out that one and Season: A Letter to the Future.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
Did anyone end up playing Goodbye Volcano High? I remember it from the PS5 reveal Showcase in 2020, but it seemed to launch without alot of fanfare.

Looking for a few cosy indies to play and thinking I might check out that one and Season: A Letter to the Future.
I enjoyed it enough when it came out. The artstyle and soundtrack is excellent while the story is (to me) just a safe and generic coming-of-age drama. Easy recommend though if you're looking for cozy vibes.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
After the success of Helldivers seems that people are hyped for Concord, for the rest not so😭

lol well it really depends. People will be like 'this is not what i for whatever reason expected concord to look like and it's Gaas!? nooooooo"

I am legit looking forward to seeing it in action tho..same for FairGames to be honest. Could be fun games

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
What do you mean by this?

MMO and mobile are their money makers. Those segments had a operating income of 19.3B¥ and 14.2B¥ respectively.

Meanwhile HD games segment had a loss of 8.1B¥ in a fiscal year where they had FFXVI and Rebirth. Even considering the extra loss they had due to restructuring and cancelling projects, that's still a really poor performance. Last year they also had a 4B¥ loss.

Also makes no sense to compare Switch exclusives like Harvestella, DQ Treasures, Paranormsight, etc.. with the PS ones like Forspoken, FFXVI or Rebirth which are projects with a much higher budget in comparison.

Seems like SE is finally waking up though, there's no reason for their HD games segment to be a money pit. It'll probably never make as much money or have the same consistency as their MMO/mobile segments, but they have a lot of margin for improvement. A multi-platform strategy is the correct approach for a 3rd party like SE if they want to turn things around.

Nixius

Feb 20, 2024
Did we get Stellar Blade numbers in Japan?

MMO and mobile are their money makers. Those segments had a operating income of 19.3B¥ and 14.2B¥ respectively.

Meanwhile HD games segment had a loss of 8.1B¥ in a fiscal year where they had FFXVI and Rebirth. Even considering the extra loss they had due to restructuring and cancelling projects, that's still a really poor performance. Last year they also had a 4B¥ loss.

Also makes no sense to compare Switch exclusives like Harvestella, DQ Treasures, Paranormsight, etc.. with the PS ones like Forspoken, FFXVI or Rebirth which are projects with a much higher budget in comparison.

Seems like SE is finally waking up though, there's no reason for their HD games segment to be a money pit. It'll probably never make as much money or have the same consistency as their MMO/mobile segments, but they have a lot of margin for improvement. A multi-platform strategy is the correct approach for a 3rd party like SE if they want to turn things around.
While I do think a multiplatform strategy is the correct call, I don't think the underwhelming sales are solely because of that, Sony big AAA games have no issue selling and not to mention Rebirth did even less than FFXVI despite the bigger install base.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK

They need to make day 1 PC releases happen asap, switch 2 will be good eventually but it'll take a while for that to get up to a good install base. Xbox can help throw a few extra sales too, or some gamepass money at the very least. Good that they've finally realised this, the better their games sell the more likely we are to get more

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Praying that this is Sony's chance to use their money on you own JRPGs instead.
images
The problem is partnering with who ? The best choice would probably be something like Media Vision.

It's not like there is a lot of Japanese independent studios who can make AAA JRPG.

Maybe we will have a good surprise with XDEV.

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023

Yeah I really enjoyed Goodbye Volcano High, it was a good change of pace between FFXVI and Spider-Man 2. I also never realised it had rhythm game elements but I'm glad it does because the songs are great

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Did we get Stellar Blade numbers in Japan?

While I do think a multiplatform strategy is the correct call, I don't think the underwhelming sales are solely because of that, Sony big AAA games have no issue selling and not to mention Rebirth did even less than FFXVI despite the bigger install base.
Yep. The Combat in the Remake and Rebirth is poison for the casuals. The problem here is that SE doesn't know how to make the franchise appealing to the general public. They should learn a thing from Capcom.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
If R&C will be shelved until 2030 I pray they get to work on a Future Collection for PS5 between then since they are all connected with Rift Apart. Don't need anything fancy. Just an up-rez and frame rate boost.

www.resetera.com

Scenario: If Ratchet & Clank Future Collection PS5 port for 2024 meant delaying Wolverine 6-8 months - would you want this?

Simple question. Rift Apart is a continuation of the story and the PS3 games feel like the forgotten ones especially when compared to the PS2 games. I think it'd be great to play these games natively on something that isn't PS3, especially since they plan on continuing this franchise. I'm not...
Yeah, I'd kill for Ratchet remasters. Do a PS2 Collection and PS3/Future Collection.

The games hold up incredibly well in both presentation and gameplay. Like you said, they don't need anything fancy, and I'm sure it would sell well enough. It'd help ease the wait for a new game.

I know a few people who never played the old games but were really impressed with Rift Apart.

I'm just glad Insomniac still cares about Ratchet though. Been paying them 20+ years and it's one of my favorite "comfort food" franchises. Always cheers me up, I usually replay one of the games every year.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
distinguishing their Direct-style presentations under two umbrellas ("State of Play" and "Showcase") was just a dumb thing to do. They should have picked one name for all of their presentations, regardless of length. "State of Play" is a good name so they should have picked that.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping to get a few cool things at a potential showcase. Realistically, what I think has a good chance of showing up that I'd be interested in (single player stuff):
- AstroBot
- Spider-Man 2 DLC
- Ghost of Tsushima sequel

I don't expect much more than that, but I'd be fine with it. That plus some third party/multiplat stuff would be good enough and as high as I'd set expectations.

Though tbh, with all the layoffs and closures, it's hard to feel hyped about anything. Feels like the industry already peaked in many ways and it's now contracting. Sucks for all the talented people losing their jobs, much of which we'll probably permanently lose from the industry (I don't think the number of open jobs are going to be increasing any time soon).

I'm still fucking pissed about roll7. One of my favorite devs, goddamn. Played some OlliOlli World the other day. Them and Tango hit hard, personally.

Protagonist

Sep 13, 2021
I'm curious if we'll see something from Ember Lab. Kena: Bridge of Spirits released in September 2021 but this was after being delayed due to covid.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The format doesn't make much of a difference (beyond length I guess).

Some of the recent States of Play have been better than last year's Showcase, which was mid as fuck.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Some of the recent States of Play have been better than last year's Showcase, which was mid as fuck.

It matters from the standpoint that if it's not a Showcase then we definitely aren't getting any Playstation Studios reveals outside of possible XDev games. PS doesn't reveal their internal games during SoP's. We only get updates on them there.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It matters from the standpoint that if it's not a Showcase then we definitely aren't getting any Playstation Studios reveals outside of possible XDev games. PS doesn't reveal their internal games during SoP's. We only get updates on them there.
You know what, things have been so quiet re: first party stuff (that I actually care about, I mean) that I didn't even consider that lol.

I'm still pessimistic in that sense, but I guess we could see Ghost 2, so maybe?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are different because there is an infinitely better chance of the next new Naughty Dog or Santa Monica game being announced at a Showcase as opposed to an SOP.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Generally speaking the big difference is absolutely the announcement of major 1st party releases. When was the last time a major 1st party game got announced in a State of Play? All I can think of is Death Stranding 2.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The big difference is absolutely the announcement of major 1st party releases. When was the last time a major 1st party game got announced in a State of Play?
Yeah, as I said above I hadn't even realize that, that's how disappointed I've been in Sony this gen so far lol.

I'm betting it'll be a Showcase then. Although the big boys (SMS, ND, Guerrilla...) will likely not be there, too soon for them. Ghost 2, on the other hand, maybe?

Super curious about Bluepoint come to think of it.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
distinguishing their Direct-style presentations under two umbrellas ("State of Play" and "Showcase") was just a dumb thing to do. They should have picked one name for all of their presentations, regardless of length. "State of Play" is a good name so they should have picked that.
Exactly, I have been saying this already in the past.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah, as I said above I hadn't even realize that, that's how disappointed I've been in Sony this gen so far lol.

I'm betting it'll be a Showcase then. Although the big boys (SMS, ND, Guerrilla...) will likely not be there, too soon for them. Ghost 2, on the other hand, maybe?

Super curious about Bluepoint come to think of it.
Agreed on Naughty Dog and Santa Monica, but I think Guerrilla could have a big presence. Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster is a safe bet, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the MP game and even if they might not be the main developers the Lego thing should be there too.