• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Presentation is from February 2023 according to the source.
q46edC8.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...uyn3/playstation_studios_steam_sales_figures/

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Would've never guessed this. Horizon doing massive numbers. Surprised there is no Forbidden West port, that game is going to look insane on there.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon doesn't surprise me as it's a title that can clearly benefit from PC controls.

jungius

Sep 5, 2021
they didnt do very well on pc, which is sad because their ports most of the time are great without huge hiccups

that sackboy number is depressing but they never promoted it so...

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what their reading on this is. Seems kiiiinda like their PC efforts might not be worth the invest. Though, I'm sure someone who's more knowledgeable about this will say they'll probably lowing the release window and maybe up the marketing to compensate.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I can't even imagine how Returnal must have done. TLOU1 also got fucked by the horrible state it was at launch. Sigh, I hope they aren't deterred to slow down their PC initiative, I need me Tsushima.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
The prices are way too high and the ports and not timely. The shitty thing is they'll probably look at this and blame the market/platform rather than their one foot in one foot out approach.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Horizon Zero Dawn had a really good price entry and proper regional pricing, launched in a bad state but the price was intruiging enough people didn't really mind about that, then they upped their prices, said fuck you to regional pricing, and became expensive af, the rest is history.

With their current pricing, chances are big Horizon Forbidden West won't even get half of HZW sales numbers.

Last edited:

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sony treats PC users like second-class customers. This should not be surprising.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
those miles numbers look horrible?
It looks like it launched 3 months after the first one. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

The real surprise bomba imo is Uncharted.

Sackboy is just a tragedy but we already knew.
Rough PC port + expensive for what was a 6 year old game at the time it released + No Uncharted 1-3 PC ports put newcomers off.

My attitude towards Sony's PC efforts is that if already have to wait for a port I can continue to wait for a bargain.
Makes sense.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest issue is the same issue with all late ports. Either people end up getting it on the console, they wait a while and by the time it's on PC it's full price there and dirt cheap on console so they get it there or wait longer and by the time it seems a reasonable price for such a late port it feels too late.

In my opinion, the ports come too late at too high a price. Either lower the price if you're keeping the exclusivity window the same or shorten the window so the price is more appealing. And like mentioned above, if you're ok waiting so long for the port to release, you're probably also fine waiting a bit longer for a big discount.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The prices are way too high and the ports and not timely. The shitty thing is they'll probably look at this and blame the market/platform rather than their one foot in one foot out approach.

Considering these are years old ports at full price I don't think these numbers are bad

Well, Uncharted and Sackboy didn't seem to do very well

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Rough PC port + expensive for what was a 6 year old game at the time it released + No Uncharted 1-3 PC ports put newcomers off.

My attitude towards Sony's PC efforts is that if already have to wait for a port I can continue to wait for a bargain.

PC players might have been more invested had they started with the original trilogy. Those are the ones I want. Plus IIRC the port wasn't that great (not sure if it ever got patched up).

Yea, never got why they didn't release the OG trilogy first.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It'll be interesting to see what they do with PC ports post Jim Ryan. I think they only confirmed title we have now is Horizon Forbidden West. Maybe TLOU2 remastered not getting a PC announcement is, in a way, an announcement itself.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Horizon had a really good price entry and proper regional pricing, launched in a bad state, but the price was intruiging enough people didn't mind, then they upped their prices, said fuck you to regional pricing, and became expensive af, the rest is history.

With their current pricing, chances are big Horizon Forbidden West won't even get half of HZW sales numbers.

It might be more profitable for them if they do 1.5 million at close to full price vs 3 with deep discounts + regional pricing, though.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
As an interesting data point - a common gauge of a game's sales success (now that SteamSpy numbers are just made up) has been looking at the number of Steam reviews.

They correlate in the broadest sense here (~20 to 40 copies sold per review).

Horizon - 3.3M sales - 80k reviews - 41.25 copies sold per review
GoW - 2.5M sales - 81k reviews - 30.86 copies sold per review
Days Gone - 1.7M sales - 50k reviews - 34 copies sold per review
Spiderman Remastered - 1.3M sales - 61k reviews - 21.3 copies sold per review
Uncharted Collection - 480k sales - 11k reviews - 43.6 copies sold per review
Miles Morales - 450k sales - 20k reviews - 22.5 copies sold per review
Sackboy - 62k sales - 1k reviews - 62 copies sold per review

Sackboy numbers being so low obviously throw off the statistical viability, but the rest hold pretty decently.

Horizon was the first one iirc and it probably greatly benefitted from being the first PS game to release on PC.

Definitely this (it was an "event game") but also, it and Days Gone have been the lowest price out of all of the ports so far (~$15, and PC users tend to be more price discriminating) . Which also explains Days Gone's somewhat inflated sales compared to where it would sit in the pantheon of these games on Playstation.

I would be curious to see the revenue breakdown for these titles, as I bet God of War outstrips Horizon, even with the lesser unit sales.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Except for Sackboy, the numbers aren't that bad for full priced late ports. They need to look at the cost situation for sure though. I love Sony first party and even I am looking at some of their prices and just internally shaking my head.

Two years late should be $40 at most.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Port sales not bad with how Sony does them lol .

Except for Sackboy, the numbers aren't that bad for full priced late ports. They need to look at the cost situation for sure though. I love Sony first party and even I am looking at some of their prices and just internally shaking my head.

Two years late should be $40 at most.

By the time games come on PC they be dirt cheap on PS asking the price they asking for really is we don't care .
Even more so if it seem all you need is email if the port under $30 million lol .

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I don't see most of these figures as horrible as people here seem to see them as? Do people expect Playstation level sale numbers on late ports with expensive pricing? Do people even consider how much each of these ports cost, looking at Ratchet it doesn't seem that much.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
As an interesting data point - a common gauge of a game's sales success (now that SteamSpy numbers are just made up) has been looking at the number of Steam reviews.

They correlate in the broadest sense here (~20 to 40 copies sold per review).

Horizon - 3.3M sales - 80k reviews - 41.25 copies sold per review
GoW - 2.5M sales - 81k reviews - 30.86 copies sold per review
Days Gone - 1.7M sales - 50k reviews - 34 copies sold per review
Spiderman Remastered - 1.3M sales - 61k reviews - 21.3 copies sold per review
Uncharted Collection - 480k sales - 11k reviews - 43.6 copies sold per review
Miles Morales - 450k sales - 20k reviews - 22.5 copies sold per review
Sackboy - 62k sales - 1k reviews - 62 copies sold per review

Sackboy numbers being so low obviously throw off the statistical viability, but the rest hold pretty decently.
Last of Us is at 25K reviews (also came out in a poor state which may inflate reviews a bunch), so it is probably around 400 to 500K or so.