• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If it was 60 bucks for excellent ports people might bite - but they were mostly in rough shape when they launched.

Too expensive to not wait another few month to let them fix them before buying.
Returnal, Saclboy, Uncharted, Horizon were less than ideal

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just keep waiting to finally play it haha.

Yeah, my point was more that they still want to keep the window (especially with their big titles) to keep up the perceived value of the PS5 so it hasn't really been that long. I expect they probably also only want to release one of these ports every quarter or so they don't cannibalize each other.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Original trioligy would sell even worse.

I think people imagine that the PS3 games look better than they actually do
That's why they should port the Remastered Trilogy and not the PS3 originals. Iirc some stuff was improved compared to the originals.

I would have bought the games a third time, kinda sad these are probably never coming to PC.

Regarding Sony's PC initiative:
I stopped buying their games on PS5, I prefer playing them on PC. If a game gets ported, great, if not, I just play something else.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest issue is the same issue with all late ports. Either people end up getting it on the console, they wait a while and by the time it's on PC it's full price there and dirt cheap on console so they get it there or wait longer and by the time it seems a reasonable price for such a late port it feels too late.

In my opinion, the ports come too late at too high a price. Either lower the price if you're keeping the exclusivity window the same or shorten the window so the price is more appealing. And like mentioned above, if you're ok waiting so long for the port to release, you're probably also fine waiting a bit longer for a big discount.
Yea, pretty much. Recently, I got FFVII Remake Intergrade for $20ish on PS5 whereas it's still $40ish on PC and it'll be the same for XVI. I'm sure this applies to any PS5 exclusive with a late PC port.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah, my point was more that they still want to keep the window (especially with their big titles) to keep up the perceived value of the PS5 so it hasn't really been that long. I expect they probably also only want to release one of these ports every quarter or so they don't cannibalize each other.
Oh, I totally accepted your point. I'm just following their damn slow movement because I don't have a PS5 and don't really wanna buy it on PS4.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Sackboy is unfortunate.

Sackboy was just dropped onto Steam one day, with no fanfare. I'm more interested in how much they expected to sell on PC, because I don't think it did that well on the original console either? It's a great game, but as others have already said, late port, full price, technical issues, etc.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think people expected some of the games to be mega-hits, like they were on Playstation. Especially for evergreen titles like Spiderman.

I think two things are at play - there's probably less of an audience for these mega-blockbuster games on PC than on console (because that audience has been cultivated on console) and, to be honest, i think the notion that "there's very little crossover between PC players and console players" is overstated. I do think that the type of person who is interested in the Sony-brand type of content is fairly likely to own a Playstation, either in addition to their PC or instead of a high(enough)-powered PC.

But you're right, it's still mostly free money for Sony, even if it is limited.

If Sony wants blockbuster sales on PC they'll have to bite the bullet and do simultaneous releases or at the very least reduce the gap to six months or so. You can't sell millions of copies day one without the full power of marketing that comes with a simultaneous release. I'm sure Sony is happy making lots of extra money with minimal effort but they are (knowingly) leaving a lot of money on the table.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
If they want bigger sales, release them day 1 or cut the time between release to six months and not a year.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I think almost certainly just Sony still wanting a buffer of year or two for their system sellers and also spacing out releases.over the year. If you count the DLC release for GoT it's only been 2 years.

I think that GoT has to be in the pipeline sooner than later. A two-year or shorter window from console launch to PC release is becoming the standard for these ports. From what I can collect, there does not seem to be a definitive pattern, but about two years is the average.

The first batch of releases took the longest to appear on PC, while Naughty Dog's PS5 output has been ported more expeditiously. I think The Last of Us Part II Remastered will follow the PS5 version in a timely manner.

GameTime Between PS4/PS5 to PC
Horizon Zero Dawn42 Months (2/28/17 to 8/7/20)
Days Gone25 Months (4/26/19 to 5/18/21)
God of War45 Months (4/20/18 to 1/14/22)
Spider-Man Remastered21 Months (11/12/20 to 8/12/22)
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection9 Months (1/28/22 to 10/19/22)
Sackboy: A Big Adventure23 Months (11/12/20 to 10/27/22)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales24 Months (11/12/20 to 11/18/22)
Returnal22 Months (4/30/21 to 2/15/23)
The Last of Us Part I6 Months (9/2/22 to 3/28/23)
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart25 Months (6/11/21 to 7/26/23)
Helldivers IIDay-and-Date (2/8/24)
Horizon Forbidden West Complete EditionTBD (10/6/23 to TBD 2024)

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
If they want bigger sales, release them day 1 or cut the time between release to six months and not a year.
Honestly with how many games come out small or large, the hype cycle for games is pretty decreased. I bet they could double sales with a. Three month window or less without halving PS5 sales lol

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If these titles launched day and date, I wonder what the sales would look like?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think that GoT has to be in the pipeline sooner than later. A two-year or shorter window from console launch to PC release is becoming the standard for these ports. From what I can collect, there does not seem to be a definitive pattern, but about two years is the average.

The first batch of releases took the longest to appear on PC, while Naughty Dog's PS5 output has been ported more expeditiously. I think The Last of Us Part II Remastered will follow the PS5 version in a timely manner.

GameTime Between PS4/PS5 to PC
Horizon Zero Dawn42 Months (2/28/17 to 8/7/20)
Days Gone25 Months (4/26/19 to 5/18/21)
God of War45 Months (4/20/18 to 1/14/22)
Spider-Man Remastered21 Months (11/12/20 to 8/12/22)
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection9 Months (1/28/22 to 10/19/22)
Sackboy: A Big Adventure23 Months (11/12/20 to 10/27/22)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales24 Months (11/12/20 to 11/18/22)
Returnal22 Months (4/30/21 to 2/15/23)
The Last of Us Part I6 Months (9/2/22 to 3/28/23)
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart25 Months (6/11/21 to 7/26/23)
Helldivers IIDay-and-Date (2/8/24)
Horizon Forbidden West Complete EditionTBD (10/6/23 to TBD 2024)

It seems to be basically this.

If it's a fully new Single-Player game? 2 Years roughly, give or take a month or two in either direction.
If it's a Remaster/Remake? Generally less than a year.
If it's a GAAS? Day and Date on PC.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of TLOU (dumpster fire), most of their ports have been "good" to great, in my opinion. Microsoft can't even be bothered to port their games to PC as well as Sony can. Almost all of the recent releases support high end PC features and options.
Basically every game they've released on PC is far more taxing than it should be. See Spider-Man and Returnal

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Would've never guessed this. Horizon doing massive numbers. Surprised there is no Forbidden West port, that game is going to look insane on there.
Zero dawn did benefit from being the first. I will be interested in how Forbidden West does in comparison. Also ZD was discounted and I don't expect FW to be.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly with how many games come out small or large, the hype cycle for games is pretty decreased. I bet they could double sales with a. Three month window or less without halving PS5 sales lol
I think 6 months would be optimal. The people moved by the hype cycle will not tolerate a six month wait, but the PC release would still benefit from the hype fumes.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Outside of TLOU (dumpster fire), most of their ports have been "good" to great, in my opinion. Microsoft can't even be bothered to port their games to PC as well as Sony can. Almost all of the recent releases support high end PC features and options.

HZD and Uncharted were both really poor ports and took a long time to fix.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I think 6 months would be optimal. The people moved by the hype cycle will not tolerate a six month wait, but the PC release would still benefit from the hype fumes.
I thought six months too but then the last of us bombed. I think if Sony doesn't want to waste their time any longer, they should do less than six months.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, porting Sackboy is a a good decision, it just should have been like half the price.

The holdup with Bloodborne is most likely just that From has to be involved in some way and they're busy.
The hold up with Bloodborne is because Sony doesnt want to do it. Fromsoft would not be involved because they have better things to be doing.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Important to remember that aside from costing peanuts in dev, they do almost 0 marketing for PC ports. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand… they likely spent as much on marketing as 5-10 PC ports.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
It seems to be basically this.

If it's a fully new Single-Player game? 2 Years roughly, give or take a month or two in either direction.
If it's a Remaster/Remake? Generally less than a year.
If it's a GAAS? Day and Date on PC.

That is also my takeaway from it. It's not a consistent template, à la Microsoft's day-and-date practice for every game, but we did receive confirmation from Sony that the GaaS titles will be simultaneous launches. I had erroneously assumed this was already the case with the first Helldivers, but I just learned that even that did not find a home on PC until nine months after the PS4 version.

Basically every game they've released on PC is far more taxing than it should be. See Spider-Man and Returnal

Returnal has been smooth sailing for me, but I am also playing on a PC with a 4090. Meanwhile, Spider-Man has been the buggiest port I have tried to push myself through so far. I think I have encountered at least a dozen crashes to the desktop in my 58 hours of playtime. Horizon Zero Dawn would occasionally exhibit prolonged frame drops and apparent memory leaks, but never outright crash on me.

Important to remember that aside from costing peanuts in dev, they do almost 0 marketing for PC ports. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand… they likely spent as much on marketing as 5-10 PC ports.

I am interested to see how often PC is mentioned in the presumed imminent advertising for Helldivers II.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pretty poor numbers. I think the takeaway, for me, is that when Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone came out, there was seemingly a "novelty" for PlayStation games on PC. I'm not sure that exists anymore, and the sharp decline for stuff like Miles Morales and Uncharted demonstrates it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What the fuck is going on there?

I could understand Sackboy underperforming (people don't know a good thing when they see it), ditto with Uncharted since the first three entries aren't available on PC at all, plus Horizon selling well since it was the first to market, but Days Gone performing that well and Miles Morales that poorly is baffling.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty poor numbers. I think the takeaway, for me, is that when Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone came out, there was seemingly a "novelty" for PlayStation games on PC. I'm not sure that exists anymore, and the sharp decline for stuff like Miles Morales and Uncharted demonstrates it.
miles morales is a 6 hour game they wanted 50 dollars for. pc gamers are cheap and thats bad value not to mention it was already 20 on ps5 by that point

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Some of the ports had technical issues at launch and also popped up with a £40-£50 price tag. Or more if there was a deluxe version.

Minor or major issues (TLOU) along with a £50- 60 tag isn't going to do wonders on PC store fronts. Especially if sone games are 3 or more years old at that point.

I wonder how many just bought them from somewhere like Cdkeys at 2/3 the price.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Would've never guessed this. Horizon doing massive numbers. Surprised there is no Forbidden West port, that game is going to look insane on there.

I'd attribute a chunk of those sales to the novelty of seeing a Sony game being ported to Steam, tbh. Maybe a big initial push to show Sony there was demand for their games on PC. I expect a big decline with Forbidden West.

Steam users seemingly had a taste of what Sony had to offer and decided it wasn't up to snuff, for a variety of reasons, including technical, price, and timing.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is going on there? I could understand Sackboy underperforming (people don't know a good thing when they see it), ditto with Uncharted since the first three entries aren't available on PC at all, plus Horizon selling well since it was the first to market, but Days Gone performing that well and Miles Morales that poorly is baffling.
Lots of discounts and it's an open world game.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Yes they are throwing money away. There's no way these IPs only have this much sales potential on such a massive platform

My guess is they are also accounting for potentially forcing PC players to grab their consoles (especially if they withhold sequels) thus opening up the way for more profit, I don't think their analysts are dumb and this is something they likely have spent a lot of time thinking about.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What the fuck is going on there?

I could understand Sackboy underperforming (people don't know a good thing when they see it), ditto with Uncharted since the first three entries aren't available on PC at all, plus Horizon selling well since it was the first to market, but Days Gone performing that well and Miles Morales that poorly is baffling.

I wonder if COVID had an (unfortunately) positive impact on the initial PC ports? We've heard before that consumer spending across the entire industry was on the uptick during those times.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is they are also accounting for potentially forcing PC players to grab their consoles (especially if they withhold sequels) thus opening up the way for more profit, I don't think their analysts are dumb and this is something they likely have spent a lot of time thinking about.
Analysts are not omnipotent and companies are more likely to stick with previous strategies than mixing it up. I think it's fairly obvious their fear of cannibalizing console sales is costing them massive sales. I think it's fairly obvious at this point that successful console and PC SKUs exist side by side these days. A lot of PC people aren't looking at consoles while many console people are not looking at PC

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The prices for these late ports need to be impulse buy territory or close to it in relation to initial release window. PC people are living their best life playing their own games and are not gonna get their head turned by super late ports especially as they don't have the marketing blitz behind them and, in worst case scenario, the quality of the game or reputation is a known quantity and the full price release is an even tougher sell.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Analysts are not omnipotent and companies are more likely to stick with previous strategies than mixing it up. I think it's fairly obvious their fear of cannibalizing console sales is costing them massive sales. I think it's fairly obvious at this point that successful console and PC SKUs exist side by side these days. A lot of PC people aren't looking at consoles while many console people are not looking at PC

You may be right but I think you're seriously underestimating how willing a PC player is to get a console for a couple of games. The "PC player grabbing a PS4 for Bloodborne" thing is not a meme, a lot of people do it. It just hasn't happened with the PS5 yet because honestly there is no game on that level that makes it worth the hassle, but most PC players can tolerate a console UI and the price is not a barrier given they already spend a lot on hardware.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You may be right but I think you're seriously underestimating how willing a PC player is to get a console for a couple of games. The "PC player grabbing a PS4 for Bloodborne" thing is not a meme, a lot of people do it. It just hasn't happened with the PS5 yet because honestly there is no game on that level that makes it worth the hassle, but most PC players can tolerate a console UI and the price is not a barrier given they already spend a lot on hardware.

They'll get one for GTA VI. That's a zeitgeist everyone will want to be a part of day one.