• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to decide what to use my PSVR coupon code for. Anyone play these and have an opinion?

No Heroes Allowed! VR
League of War
EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone
Job Simulator (or Rick & Morty)
Mervils: A VR Adventure
I don't see enough praise for No Heros Allowed! VR. It's a very charming and funny game that not only looks great but uses the DualShock 4 in an interesting way.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for very easy VR "experiences" that are good to demo? I mean something similar to the shark cage demo that is included in PSVR Worlds

I showed my parents that demo and it blew their minds. Unfortunately everything else I have is an actual game that requires at least some familiarity with controllers and none of the my family are gamers but want to experience more VR experiences like that.

Anything else out there worth getting

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for very easy VR "experiences" that are good to demo? I mean something similar to the shark cage demo that is included in PSVR Worlds

I showed my parents that demo and it blew their minds. Unfortunately everything else I have is an actual game that requires at least some familiarity with controllers and none of the my family are gamers but want to experience more VR experiences like that.

I love getting people to try the Kitchen demo. It's more like a short teaser though. It's incredibly fun watching people get scared. I've seen people scream in terror and kick chairs in front of them.

Outside of that Playroom VR is fun and has some group activities. Job Simulator and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood both use Move controllers but I think the concepts are simple enough for most people to grasp. My father-in-law has barely played a game in his life and he had a blast in Rush of Blood.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
is there a way to recalibrate dualshock/headset position mid game? 2 game that become an issue for me yesterday is Astro Bot and WipeOut. in Astroboy, my vitual dualshock 4 has gone off track so it's angled a bit to left when I play, and once in Wipeout, the headset is sooo off track that I basically playing the game sideways since I had to look left just to see straight, I had t cancel the race and closed down the game and restart.

I've since moved my ps camera position and I haven't had trouble for Superhot VR, but I haven't some back to Astrobot and WipeOut.

I just tried Superhot VR yesterday and that game seems very intuitive in term of control. basically only 2 button is required for grabbing and releasing object. easy to get into, buy complex enough to provide challenge that give you this 'one more time' effect/

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The Last Guardian VR maybe? It requires some input but it's pretty minimal iirc. It's free and like 15 minutes max so I suggest trying it out and then deciding if you want to show them

How are you holding up on the VR sickness front?? Hopefully you're doing better than last time you posted?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
is there a way to recalibrate dualshock/headset position mid game? 2 game that become an issue for me yesterday is Astro Bot and WipeOut. in Astroboy, my vitual dualshock 4 has gone off track so it's angled a bit to left when I play, and once in Wipeout, the headset is sooo off track that I basically playing the game sideways since I had to look left just to see straight, I had t cancel the race and closed down the game and restart.

I've since moved my ps camera position and I haven't had trouble for Superhot VR, but I haven't some back to Astrobot and WipeOut.
Holding the Options (or Start on Move controllers) should work most of the time.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you holding up on the VR sickness front?? Hopefully you're doing better than last time you posted?

So far weirdly enough the only thing that gave me slight VR sickness was Rush of Blood and that's one I thought I heard isnt supposed to get you sick?

Played about 35 minutes of Thumper earlier and then an hour straight of Skyrim VR and feel perfectly fine

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017

HoloBall is super simple. It's just tennis in a Tron-like world. You use one Move controller as tennis racquet vs the computer.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
A big LOL at people that answer Superhot and such. You aren't seeing the picture here, his parents aren't gamers and would be killed 3 times before saying "thank you, had enough!".

My recommendations would be some of the more static ones, that are more like videos.
  • Alumette is well done, but sad, also very short. A good example for above, there's more, but those are usually less impressive.
  • The Chainsmokers interactive music video.
  • The Playroom VR has two very easy but cool games where you only need your head (The sea monster and the cat thing), you can help them set it up and then pay against them on TV. Other stuff there is also pretty accessible for non-gamers like the saloon, ghost hunt and the bedroom shooting game. Totally parents compatible.
  • Job Simulator requires handling two Move controllers, but it's very relaxed, no enemies, no time limit, just fool around with whatever you see.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So far weirdly enough the only thing that gave me slight VR sickness was Rush of Blood and that's one I thought I heard isnt supposed to get you sick?

Played about 35 minutes of Thumper earlier and then an hour straight of Skyrim VR and feel perfectly fine
Rush of Blood actually makes me feel like I'm losing my balance. Feels like an actual roller coaster basically. I don't feel sick but it gave me slight vertigo but only during the intense parts. Perhaps that's what you experienced? Have you tried going back to it? You might fare better now that you've tried some other VR games and know what to expect now. Btw which locomotion options did you use for Skyrim?

Also Headmaster might be a good game for your parents. I haven't played it but I've been lead to believe you only use your head in that game to headbutt a ball. It's on sale for $5 right now

A big LOL at people that answer Superhot and such. You aren't seeing the picture here, his parents aren't gamers and would be killed 3 times before saying "thank you, had enough!".

My recommendations would be some of the more static ones, that are more like videos.
  • Alumette is well done, but sad, also very short. A good example for above, there's more, but those are usually less impressive.
Wow I can't believe I forgot about Alumette. That's a great suggestion. Haven't seen that since launch but I was pretty impressed back then

Last edited:

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017

I have trouble all the time with WipEout. When I start the game I'm usually sat on the couch looking at the TV. The image always appears 90 degrees to my left in the headset so I essentially have to turn my head towards the window to play. No idea what causes it. Doesn't happen in any other games. Has happened with 360 degree videos in the VR media player though

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I have trouble all the time with WipEout. When I start the game I'm usually sat on the couch looking at the TV. The image always appears 90 degrees to my left in the headset so I essentially have to turn my head towards the window to play. No idea what causes it. Doesn't happen in any other games. Has happened with 360 degree videos in the VR media player though
To you and the other guy. It's your setup, something is wrong. I've not had this problem since I finalised my setup over a year and a half ago. Fix your setup, there are loads of tips in the PSVR subreddit that can help you...

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Job Simulator is perfect for this. It's simple and silly. If they can manage triggers on a move controller, they'll have a great time.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
How much space do you realistically need for PSVR? I'm living in a condo so space can be an issue. My TV is maybe 5-6 feet from my couch and both are against the wall on either side of the room.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Debating between either using my $10 off on either Apex Construct and get that for $5 or on Home Sweet Home and get that for $20.

What would you guys and gals recommends?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
How much space do you realistically need for PSVR? I'm living in a condo so space can be an issue. My TV is maybe 5-6 feet from my couch and both are against the wall on either side of the room.
You don't need much space. My tv is 7 feet from my couch and it's more than enough.

Also you don't need to be facing the TV. You can set your camera on the wall between the TV and couch and face the wall when your doing PSVR standing. You can move the camera to the TV when you want to do PSVR sitting.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw which locomotion options did you use for Skyrim?

I'm using teleportation and snap spinning. Honestly I really like the way it controls. I know some people dont like teleporting but I think it works really well as causes me ZERO discomfort

And I'm addicted lol. Played 3 straight hours of Skyrim VR today. The sense of presence / scale in it is incredible

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using teleportation and snap spinning. Honestly I really like the way it controls. I know some people dont like teleporting but I think it works really well as causes me ZERO discomfort

And I'm addicted lol. Played 3 straight hours of Skyrim VR today. The sense of presence / scale in it is incredible
It's super addicting and I can't get enough of it. I just finished the Dawnguard DLC yesterday which was fantastic.

Yeah I'm not a fan of teleporting but I'm glad you're able to enjoy it with teleporting. It nice having options. From Softwares upcoming VR game Deracine will be teleport only which bums me out but I'm still looking forward to it. You looking forward to Borderlands 2 VR at all? That's going to have teleportation as well I believe (along with smooth)

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

I'll second Headmaster (yes, I mention Headmaster a lot since it doesn't get brought up much). My wife and I usually use it to demo VR for people that aren't big gamers. It doesn't use the controller at all once you start the game, it's just looking at menu items and moving your head to hit balls. The demo on the first demo disc is perfect since it includes the tutorial, but the full game is fantastic and on sale.

Also, you might consider Hatsune Miku: Future Live if you think they can handle voice-synth jpop, or would find a concert in VR worth the trouble, or not be creeped out by the whole thing. Iirc you have to buy one of the DLCs to watch anything. Idolmaster VR is a touch creepier to me at least, and it only plays one song at a time so it feels less like a mini-concert and more like a really expensive demo. The Miku concerts have a lot more special effects iirc, which helps. I think you can turn off the motion prompts and just watch the songs in Miku.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll second Headmaster (yes, I mention Headmaster a lot since it doesn't get brought up much). My wife and I usually use it to demo VR for people that aren't big gamers. It doesn't use the controller at all once you start the game, it's just looking at menu items and moving your head to hit balls. The demo on the first demo disc is perfect since it includes the tutorial, but the full game is fantastic and on sale.

Also, you might consider Hatsune Miku: Future Live if you think they can handle voice-synth jpop, or would find a concert in VR worth the trouble, or not be creeped out by the whole thing. Iirc you have to buy one of the DLCs to watch anything. Idolmaster VR is a touch creepier to me at least, and it only plays one song at a time so it feels less like a mini-concert and more like a really expensive demo. The Miku concerts have a lot more special effects iirc, which helps. I think you can turn off the motion prompts and just watch the songs in Miku.

Miku has a demo which is probably more than enough for his use case

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man I'm conflicted. Could I get some impressions of both? The demo for Apex seemed cool... Should I get that and wait for Home Sweet Home to go on sale? Not sure how long the latter is.

Apex is very similar to Metroidvania, built around a sci-fi world, has a cool story to uncover, and uses bow and shield combat while exploring small sections to try and unlock the next. About 6 hours and has secret lore scattered around. Only complaint is it could be a bit smoother using hands and moving, but overall great stuff.

Home Sweet Home is also about 5-6 hours, is more of a terrifying game of hide and seek. There are lots of scares and the levels change on you constantly.

Obviously Apex is the better value here being on sale, and there is dlc coming. Kind of sounds like what you're after. But if you want a scary game for October HSH is a great choice or Persistence is also on sale if you haven't played it. It's one of my favorites and although main story is about 13 hours, you can put about 40+ hours into it.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
How are Paranormal Activity and The Inpatient? Both are on sale in Europe...
The Inpatient was nice once but I probably won't go back for trophies or anything. The movement speed was really low and going back would probably be tedious at best especially when you know what will happen (alternate paths aside). Strong atmosphere and interesting story though! If you liked Until Dawn and its story, you probably want this for that novelty at the very least.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Apex is very similar to Metroidvania, built around a sci-fi world, has a cool story to uncover, and uses bow and shield combat while exploring small sections to try and unlock the next. About 6 hours and has secret lore scattered around. Only complaint is it could be a bit smoother using hands and moving, but overall great stuff.

Home Sweet Home is also about 5-6 hours, is more of a terrifying game of hide and seek. There are lots of scares and the levels change on you constantly.

Obviously Apex is the better value here being on sale, and there is dlc coming. Kind of sounds like what you're after. But if you want a scary game for October HSH is a great choice or Persistence is also on sale if you haven't played it. It's one of my favorites and although main story is about 13 hours, you can put about 40+ hours into it.

I think I will get Apex for now since I can get it for much cheaper and then HSH, but I'll still look into getting that down the line as well.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
after watching plenty of youtube review for Creed and Knockout Kings, I end up choosing Creed, just played 2 match and a bunch of training mini games and the game is really fun so far, and man I'm pretty exhausted after playing a while.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard mixed things about Apex. In particular the terminal sections suck

Godcannon

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've heard mixed things about Apex. In particular the terminal sections suck

It can be frustrating at times when you get lost, stuck, or run into technical issues, but for $5 it's still a steal. It has really great graphics, and the shooting/dodging works really well, I just wish there was a little more of that and a few other design choices.

For the record, I said go with the Persistence :P

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
What's the best setup for superhot vr? Having the camera on top of the tv was obviously terrible, so I put it below it instead, but I'm still getting a lot of desync on my moves and the hmd itself. I played it in a less than normally lit room in the evening, but games like Astrobot (got my plat tonight!) and Skyrim work pretty much flawlessly in the same lighting conditions and the moves are fully charged.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It can be frustrating at times when you get lost, stuck, or run into technical issues, but for $5 it's still a steal. It has really great graphics, and the shooting/dodging works really well, I just wish there was a little more of that and a few other design choices.

For the record, I said go with the Persistence :P
But it's $15

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The Invisible Hours is amazing. It's like watching a play where you can get up on the stage and follow the actors around.

This sounds interesting. Does it have a 2nd player observation mode? I'm thinking this is something my wife may get some enjoyment out of watching me play and figuring out 'who-dun-it'.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Can I get a discord link? Thanks in advance...

Do y'all kick inactive users? Because I used to be on there...

Last edited:

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I keep thinking about using the $10 coupon to get Fruit Ninja for $5, but I kind of don't want to give the impression that the price point is okay. It's really not. It has a fraction of a fraction of the content of its $2 iOS counterpart. Half Brick are dicks for charging $15, IMHO.

I'm leaning towards No Heroes Allowed right now.

Oct 25, 2017
From the next gen speculation thread...
How about a brand spanking new patent for something to replace the move controllers in vr?

https://patents.google.com/patent/U...=Sony+Interactive+Entertainment+Inc.&sort=new

"A method to identify positions of fingers of a hand is described. The method includes capturing images of a first hand using a plurality of cameras that are part of a wearable device. The wearable device is attached to a wrist of a second hand and the plurality of cameras of the wearable device is disposed around the wearable device. The method includes repeating capturing of additional images of the first hand, the images and the additional images captured to produce a stream of captured image data during a session of presenting the virtual environment in a head mounted display (HMD). The method includes sending the stream of captured image data to a computing device that is interfaced with the HMD. The computing device is configured to process the captured image data to identify changes in positions of the fingers of the first hand."

The pictures are fascinating

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I keep thinking about using the $10 coupon to get Fruit Ninja for $5, but I kind of don't want to give the impression that the price point is okay. It's really not. It has a fraction of a fraction of the content of its $2 iOS counterpart. Half Brick are dicks for charging $15, IMHO.

I'm leaning towards No Heroes Allowed right now.

Price is a bit high but Fruit Ninja VR is very funny and the sword feeling is great.