• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't bought it myself, but it is so weird, looking at the trailer I thought this was a shoe in for aiming with eye tracking. I wonder if that was the initial idea but they just couldn't get it working good enough.

Ya, I would have instant bought it if they had added eye tracking targeting. I'll pick it up at some point since I love the original, but I just can't justify that price for what it is and I have a feeling a lot of other people won't either and it won't be long before there's a sale.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Things were looking pretty blurry and ghosted outside the center of the screen for me until I scoped the visor in as tight as I could. I think it's literally pushing against my glasses frames, but wow it made a massive difference. Now everything on the screen looks clear.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Just extend out your play area beyond your actual usable space. Job Simulator doesn't need much more than a standing position anyway. It's a great game!
Oh this is a good idea!

I caved and bought even more games

Full list is now:

Horizon: Call of the Mountain
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
Kayak VR
Resident Evil 8
Thumper
Rez Infinite
Moss
Moss: Book II
The Light Brigade
No Man's Sky
Job Simulator
Demeo
GT7
Swordsman VR
Drums Rock
Saints and Sinners Ch2
Dark Pictures Switchback

Spoilt for choice on what to play now.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if the "headset adjust" screen had a grid or more text near the center. The diagram of the headset with your eye position helps but isn't precise enough.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Had two 45 minutes sessions on Horizon this evening, and it's a lot of fun. Just got past the glint hawk fight. I got all the assists on standard, so not completely off the rails but stick movement etc. a few people scoffed at the strafe movement to dodge but I quite like it. Otherwise I love the scale of it. As an Introudctuon to Vr it's stunning (and better than Vader by a mile. Thankfully no real motion sickness.
Time went super quick.

First session I couldn't quite hit the sweet spot but during my second I had it where the texture of the stuff like ropes etc was obvious. The paint and decorations on walls were sharp. It's a good reference point to have. You also notice the foveated rendering working.

I think when you find the sweet spot the headset feels looser than it actually is. Think the trick is not to over tighten it and trust yourself to pull out the headset a little bit. I did notice the circular nature of the lens though. Not sure if that is just an horizon thing naturally vignetting ( notice it does crop in at times in game play on purpose). Don't think I noticed it in the menus but it is something to look out for and fiddle with. I have a check when I'm play GT7 tomorrow

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Things were looking pretty blurry and ghosted outside the center of the screen for me until I scoped the visor in as tight as I could. I think it's literally pushing against my glasses frames, but wow it made a massive difference. Now everything on the screen looks clear.
Yeah this helps. Sometimes it helps to just slightly adjust the headset on your forehead. Just be careful to not scratch your glasses on the lenses because it can damage both.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't get enough of Light Brigade atm. Looting is so fun in it. The holofoil power up cards look really cool too.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I caved after reading everyone's impressions and bought Runner. Excited to give it a go tomorrow.

I stopped playing for today since I got a bit queasy from CotM.

neontropics

Jan 2, 2019
Anyone watched any movies on this yet? I'm super close to buying it and it would likely be worth it for GT7 only for me, but having the cinema mode be nice for watching blu rays would basically make it a non-question to get it. I haven't been to the cinema much since Covid and then having a kid and I just miss the big screen.

Jun 1, 2021
Okay so I posted yesterday that I wasn't particularly impressed with the visuals but I never realised just how finicky setting it up correctly is. I followed the tip above and it's a game changer - absolutely loved my playtime today.

I suffered from horrible motion sickness using VR1 so I'm stunned I was able to play GT7 for about 2-3 hours today with zero issues.

Fantastic :D

Great Puma

Feb 4, 2022
I want to give a shout out to what many might consider to be the more basic, old-school "stationary" VR games. Job Simulator is still great fun (especially with the improved tracking), Tentacular is a treat, and I immediately bought Cosmonious High after playing the demo. Such fun and charming games!

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Okay so I posted yesterday that I wasn't particularly impressed with the visuals but I never realised just how finicky setting it up correctly is. I followed the tip above and it's a game changer - absolutely loved my playtime today.

I suffered from horrible motion sickness using VR1 so I'm stunned I was able to play GT7 for about 2-3 hours today with zero issues.
Yeah I felt pretty terrible before I booted up (normal health issues) and thought for sure that GT7 would push me over the edge today, but I drove for a few minutes and it did not make it worse, which surprised me a lot. Even played a few stages of Rez afterwards. Feeling optimistic that I will get my VR legs in time. Man, Sony really needs to port wipEout over, now that I own the VR2, I want it even more!

Being able to just put on the headset in bed with no hassle and diving in is very cool!

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Just getting into GT7 and there really needs to be headset rumble for impacts, not sure why they left that out.

hartmarque

Feb 1, 2023
I wanted to give my quick thoughts on theater mode so far because that's been my most anticipated use case for this device. Thank goodness for OLED displays!

The experience is like having my own personal movie theater, and the quality of the display and lenses definitely give it that "high-end projector" sorta look to it. It's not as crisp as a TV, but that's primarily due to the edge-to-edge clarity not being the best on this headset. So far, I love it, but with some little caveats.

My big complaint about theater mode is, weirdly enough, I wish I could make the screen smaller. Even at the smallest size, it really is quite huge! I've only tried Returnal on it, but the massive size of that virtual display made it difficult to get a quick read on my HUD elements because they were so far away in the corners, and I also lost track of enemies because my peripheral vision was so overwhelmed by being so close to the action. To take the "personal movie theater" analogy further, playing Returnal was like sitting in the first three rows at an IMAX showing. I imagine games with a more zoomed out camera or less HUD elements will play great, but shooters or close quarters third-person games will probably feel a bit strange.

Another thing I noticed was how damn bright everything could get. The black levels were wild, but the brightness! Wow! Those projectiles look like fireworks. And funnily enough, the act of using the melee ability in Returnal is so bright that it actually make other in-game elements difficult to see.

The only other weird thing with theater mode is the screen never changes size or orientation. If you stand back or sit back in your chair, you don't get further away from the screen like you might expect. This makes sense, but was very trippy at first because you really do get lost in the experience and feel like you're in your own private movie screening. It'd be nice if you could change that in the settings menu.

I'm eager to play more flat games on this thing, honestly. It's cool, even if my only example so far was a little disorienting.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
As a follow up, it's definitely the resolution. Cause after playing 10+ games now, including Light Brigade, I've finally seen the light (pun intended).
Holy, mother of god, Demeo runs in native resolution and it's so unbelievably crystal clear and sharp, THAT is a staggering difference. Oh my do I enjoy this. I'll write a different posting plugging this now. Everyone needs to buy this.

In VR super-sampling has been a thing for a long time; so most games are outputting even higher than regular resolution - part of the reason it's so demanding. Dameo is probably running at a much higher res than native if it looks super sharp. On PCVR it's common to play with the multipliers. RE8, Horizon, and GT7 are all notably low resolution (for VR) to me. The quest2 menu for instance super samples quite a alot and is very sharp due to that and frame rate. With the PSVR1 cinematic mode; they added super-sampling later; and it looks as though the PSVR2 cinematic mode doesn't really do much of this so it looks really rough and runs at 1080p or less. Right now i think some of the blurriness and image issues are partially on software and can be improved.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Controller issues are still a mixed bag, but I did get them working for Horizon finally. Game looks amazing. I dig the bow. Climbing is not as intense as I was expecting in the early game (like dangling over a canyon didn't elicit much of a gut response from me), but maybe once I get more climbing tools, it'll improve.

Pistol Whip might be my favorite game of the launch so far. Considering we don't have SuperHot or Beatsaber yet, this is like a nice lovechild of the two. The music is a lot of fun, too.

Hopefully I can get the controllers working for a serious RE8 session tonight.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if some of negative impressions could be due to guck/dirty lenses? I've seen a few people mention that right out of the box they noticed the lenses had some stuff on them and were able to visibly clean them up quite significantly. I don't imagine mine were that dirty based on my experience, but to think maybe they are and it'll get even clearer! Lol, well gotta check them next time I connect it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if some of negative impressions could be due to guck/dirty lenses? I've seen a few people mention that right out of the box they noticed the lenses had some stuff on them and were able to visibly clean them up quite significantly. I don't imagine mine were that dirty based on my experience, but to think maybe they are and it'll get even clearer! Lol, well gotta check them next time I connect it.

I was legit surprised to find out they shipped the headset without a protective film on the lenses.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Good news, Playstation support was able to refund me for the Gold edition fairly painlessly. I do suspect I had added the edition to my cart... somehow. Not sure how since I bought the free upgrade for VR last night but whatever I got my money back.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to give my quick thoughts on theater mode so far because that's been my most anticipated use case for this device. Thank goodness for OLED displays!

The experience is like having my own personal movie theater, and the quality of the display and lenses definitely give it that "high-end projector" sorta look to it. It's not as crisp as a TV, but that's primarily due to the edge-to-edge clarity not being the best on this headset. So far, I love it, but with some little caveats.

My big complaint about theater mode is, weirdly enough, I wish I could make the screen smaller. Even at the smallest size, it really is quite huge! I've only tried Returnal on it, but the massive size of that virtual display made it difficult to get a quick read on my HUD elements because they were so far away in the corners, and I also lost track of enemies because my peripheral vision was so overwhelmed by being so close to the action. To take the "personal movie theater" analogy further, playing Returnal was like sitting in the first three rows at an IMAX showing. I imagine games with a more zoomed out camera or less HUD elements will play great, but shooters or close quarters third-person games will probably feel a bit strange.

Another thing I noticed was how damn bright everything could get. The black levels were wild, but the brightness! Wow! Those projectiles look like fireworks. And funnily enough, the act of using the melee ability in Returnal is so bright that it actually make other in-game elements difficult to see.

The only other weird thing with theater mode is the screen never changes size or orientation. If you stand back or sit back in your chair, you don't get further away from the screen like you might expect. This makes sense, but was very trippy at first because you really do get lost in the experience and feel like you're in your own private movie screening. It'd be nice if you could change that in the settings menu.

I'm eager to play more flat games on this thing, honestly. It's cool, even if my only example so far was a little disorienting.

thanks for this. I'm surprised it isn't anchoring the screen and can imagine that might be disorienting if its following you around when you aren't expecting it to. That feels like a hangover from the PSVR1 version and shouldn't be a technical limitation ?

D23

Oct 25, 2017
horizon is pretty damn good and very immersive so far. im like 2 hours in now i think? will probably finish this before jumping to RE8 village next.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Thumper is fucking amazing holy shit.

Thumper is also fucking terrifying holy shit.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this is a good idea!

I caved and bought even more games

Full list is now:

Horizon: Call of the Mountain
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
Kayak VR
Resident Evil 8
Thumper
Rez Infinite
Moss
Moss: Book II
The Light Brigade
No Man's Sky
Job Simulator
Demeo
GT7
Swordsman VR
Drums Rock
Saints and Sinners Ch2
Dark Pictures Switchback

Spoilt for choice on what to play now.

and they say psvr have no launch games... lol thats a solid list and should keep you busy for a while!!

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like the VR games they showed were all shooting games, some with a story attached, some more like pure shooting or rogue lite shooting.
and a survival game with shooting.

I was hoping for a range of gameplay genres.

Humanity does look cool. They should put that in VR diorama mode
Edit: Humanity was announced for PSVR 3 years ago? I forgot about that. No mention of it being in VR this time
youtu.be

Humanity – Announce Trailer | PS4, PS VR

HUMANITY coming to PlayStation 4 in 2020 with optional PlayStation VR support.More to come.www.humanity.gamewww.twitter.com/humanity_game www.instagram.com/h...

Last edited:

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
Okay got my first minutes in. I have the feeling I'm looking through a tube. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Anyone? For me it's like I'm constantly wearing a helmet. Even in GT7 i can't see left and right until I completely move my head. I have a lot of black around my peripheral vision, like looking through a tube. That ruines the immersion.

First time VR user.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the VR games they showed were all shooting games, some with a story attached, some more like pure shooting or rogue lite shooting.
and a survival game with shooting.

I was hoping for a range of gameplay genres.

Humanity does look cool. They should put that in VR diorama mode
Really looking forward to seeing more about Synapse. I bought one of their earlier games, Fracked, this past Sunday and I really enjoyed it. It has one of the coolest cover systems I've played. Looks like Synapse uses the same style from what I could tell from the trailer. Just grab the edge an object and you can move yourself in and out of cover. Worked really well and makes you feel like a badass.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Very unimpressed with the State of Play VR showing. I wasn't expecting to have HL Alyx or whatever, but I thought we might see a couple big-publisher games sort of like RE8

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Just played the demo of Song in the Smoke for like 2 hours and... holy crap that game is awesome!!! Pretty sure I'm picking that up come payday,. Also, loving the VR games they showed in State of Play! This wasn't even the "big" showcase this year rumor has it, so I wonder what we are in store for... Also is Humanity not VR any longer?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Anyone? For me it's like I'm constantly wearing a helmet. Even in GT7 i can't see left and right until I completely move my head. I have a lot of black around my peripheral vision, like looking through a tube. That ruines the immersion.

First time VR user.

Besides the off chance you haven't pulled the visor right back to your nose I'm kinda stumped by that. I see it now and again but only if I look at the edges of the screen and I don't get the pipe effect.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017

First time VR user.

Hmm, I only had that with Horizon at certain moments when it would suddenly make my FOV more narrow with black outlines. I hate that and makes it feel like I'm wearing a helmet or something. But normally it is completely fine. GT7 is perfect. I have no issues with FOV whatsoever.

You should probably adjust your VR helmet. Put the visor as close as possible to your face and make sure your eyes are centered (the turn thingy on the left top side of the helmet). If you done that it should be fine. If you still don't like it then I think you just need to get used to the FOV of the VR.

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022
Do the controllers not charge while not turned on or do they just not show that they're charging?

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022

First time VR user.

That's just like real life if you've worn a helmet on track.

Source: I have many times.

Rivanov

Mar 22, 2018
The Netherlands
Besides the off chance you haven't pulled the visor right back to your nose I'm kinda stumped by that. I see it now and again but only if I look at the edges of the screen and I don't get the pipe effect.
I couldn't push it any further against my forehead. But I still constantly see it. Also in VR Showroom.
Hmm, I only had that with Horizon at certain moments when it would suddenly make my FOV more narrow with black outlines. I hate that and makes it feel like I'm wearing a helmet or something. But normally it is completely fine. GT7 is perfect. I have no issues with FOV whatsoever.

You should probably adjust your VR helmet. Put the visor as close as possible to your face and make sure your eyes are centered (the turn thingy on the left top side of the helmet). If you done that it should be fine. If you still don't like it then I think you just need to get used to the FOV of the VR.
Yeah maybe it's because I never used VR before.

But I will try it tomorrow morning and set it up again. Tonight I was in a bit of a hurry because I wanted to play as quick as possible.

NeonRetroTech

Mar 10, 2022
Just played the demo of Song in the Smoke for like 2 hours and... holy crap that game is awesome!!! Pretty sure I'm picking that up come payday,. Also, loving the VR games they showed in State of Play! This wasn't even the "big" showcase this year rumor has it, so I wonder what we are in store for... Also is Humanity not VR any longer?
Humanity is playable in both flat and VR.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Had a quick play of Pavlov finally, god damn that needs some muscle memory and time to learn everything. Defs go through the tutorials and learn how to reload different guns and stuff as depending what gun it is it can be very very different.

It's good but god damn it makes me miss the Aim controller that made FPS games a dream to play for me (apart from drift) I don't think could even get a stock for the Sense controllers either as need to use both hands so much to grab ammo and stuff like that with free hand.

Lobbies I went in were all friendly and having a laugh, all had PS symbols so new PSVR players I guess and was funny trying to figure things out with others. Got all these heavy military dressed people in front of you all dropping magazines and guns because they pressed the wrong button and stuff. Getting into firefights with long breaks because everyone trying to figure out how to reload their guns.

Need more time with it for sure but defs seems solid just got to get all the controls dialed in and figure out what's what with it.