Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Remedy ever came under the acquisition of Sony, I would love to see them make a AAA FPS that has the feel of Sony's cinematic, single player titles. I was watching videos of Witchfire and Hunt: The Showdown, and I thought that a game with the aesthetics of the aforementioned games, coupled with Bloodborne, and Castlevania, and mixed with Remedy's penchant for creating frenetic, visceral action and marrying that with unique abilities would work extremely well.​

More studios doesnt mean more games and better games.
MS will have have more powerfull console? I missed PS5 reveal?
I wouldn't even play into their hand. They're just looking to start shit, or looking for attention.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
If Remedy ever came under the acquisition of Sony, I would love to see them make a AAA FPS that has the feel of Sony's cinematic, single player titles. I was watching videos of Witchfire and Hunt: The Showdown, and I thought that a game with the aesthetics of the aforementioned games, coupled with Bloodborne, and Castlevania, and mixed with Remedy's penchant for creating frenetic, visceral action and marrying that with unique abilities would work extremely well.​

A weird Remedy story with Sony AAA production values would be pretty tight.

Oct 1, 2019
I don't think so. They can't play it any slower than did this generation with only one. There is more motivation now knowing that MS, Google, Amazon or whoever could snatch up a studio you value a lot. PlayStation is a key pillar for them so I think will invest more to maintain their dominance.
Jim Ryan went from "we are looking into mergers and acquisitions" in July to "we are always looking, but we are doing it very carefully and buying studios right now is very expensive" this November. Shuhei Yoshida's recent statement that "we are not looking for more studios for now" is also not helping the campaign for Sony acquiring more studios.
I think they'll go the partnerships and organic growth route next generation where they acquire maybe just one to no studio at all and just maintain their strong partnerships with third-party developers and expand their first-party studios. I'm not necessarily happy with this prediction since I think this will be the complacent route for them next gen.
Of course this is just me reading into Sony exec's statements.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I'm not sure I even lasted 30 seconds before I ripped off the headset. I remember seeing some woman start coming at me and it was the biggest nope gaming moment of my life.
Played the whole game in Vr, but there was one scene, that almost gave me a heart attack and many other scenes, that were almost to much for me. Vr really adds a lot to the experience, but I can absolutely understand anyone, who does not play it that way.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Jim Ryan went from "we are looking into mergers and acquisitions" in July to "we are always looking, but we are doing it very carefully and buying studios right now is very expensive" this November. Shuhei Yoshida's recent statement that "we are not looking for more studios for now" is also not helping the campaign for Sony acquiring more studios.
I think they'll go the partnerships and organic growth route next generation where they acquire maybe just one to no studio at all and just maintain their strong partnerships with third-party developers and expand their first-party studios. I'm not necessarily happy with this prediction since I think this will be the complacent route for them next gen.

For that last quote it doesn't look like Yoshida was quoted saying that. He said:

"When you look up our history of acquisition, the last few ones were Media Molecule, Guerilla Games, Sucker Punch Productions, and Insomniac Games," Yoshida-san explained, "We always had a history of working together with developers and publishers to create successful IPs together, so we knew that we'd have to build a strong relationship and business for that desire to continue the relationship."

The part about not acquiring anymore studios seems to come from the article writers interpretation of what Shu said.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017

The article about Yoshida with how is talking about the relationship between Sony and a studio, honestly it will not really be a surprise if the next game from Bluepoint or Housemarque it's a success when they will join Sony.

People want Sony to go buy some studios but they doesn't work that way, They will buy only a studio who have a strong relationship with them but maybe that will change with Jim and Hermen.

Jun 23, 2019

This is the same company whose CEO said they weren't going to talk about PS4 until after MS talked about the Xbone, and then turned around like 2 weeks later and had PS Meeting 2013. What it sounds like is that they are looking for acquisitions, but they have to make sure whoever they buy either has some pedigree or potential to succeed. MS bought up all of these AA studios and the irony is that not many of them have produced a mega hit so you are gambling. Sony doesn't want to gamble.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, if Sony either isn't willing to or able to try and snap up Capcom I do hope they try to squeeze out some more exclusives. Street Fighter 6 is a logical choice. Was Deep Down supposed to be exclusive or multiplat?

Also, was Kojimas Silent Hills exclusive?

Also still curious how Sony will grow their relationship with the devs in China. I figure if they was to make deep inroads there then signing a few exclusives would be a good start and if any devs really gel with them then possibly acquire them to have 1 or 2 Chinese studios to appeal to that market more.

Still wondering who is gonna manage to try and crack India and its market.

Oct 25, 2017
The article about Yoshida with how is talking about the relationship between Sony and a studio, honestly it will not really be a surprise if the next game from Bluepoint or Housemarque it's a success when they will join Sony.

People want Sony to go buy some studios but they doesn't work that way, They will buy only a studio who have a strong relationship with them but maybe that will change with Jim and Hermen.

They have extended strong relationships with studios usually mentioned like Housemarque/Bluepoint and they are getting cozy with studios like Remedy and Kojima. It's not like people are saying buy Crytek or Moon.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They have extended strong relationships with studios usually mentioned like Housemarque/Bluepoint and they are getting cozy with studios like Remedy and Kojima. It's not like people are saying buy Crytek or Moon.

Exactly! Do something sensible like buy Capcom or Square Enix! 😏

Lol, well whatever happens I'd hope to learn about further expansion in the next 3 or 4 months. Beyond game devs I wonder if they may be looking to acquire any more middleware companies like when they bought Audiokinetic. Or maybe acquire some VR companies to integrate their tech into PSVR2.

So many possibilities 😃

Oct 1, 2019
For that last quote it doesn't look like Yoshida was quoted saying that. He said:

"When you look up our history of acquisition, the last few ones were Media Molecule, Guerilla Games, Sucker Punch Productions, and Insomniac Games," Yoshida-san explained, "We always had a history of working together with developers and publishers to create successful IPs together, so we knew that we'd have to build a strong relationship and business for that desire to continue the relationship."

The part about not acquiring anymore studios seems to come from the article writers interpretation of what Shu said.
The linked article didn't fully wrote Shu's reply.

Q: "Santa Monica Studio is one of the more successful first party studios that you have. Are you actively looking around for more studios that you could acquire to beef up your first party roster?"
Shu: "The answer is no. When you look our history of acquisition, the last acquisition I think was media molecule. Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac, always we have the history of working together as developer and publisher and had successful IP's created together… We have a really strong relationship and good business and desire to continue that relationship, so we kind of formalize the relationship. That's what happened with Insomniac, the same way. The history goes back to Spyro the Dragon in 1998, so more than 20 years we worked as developer and publisher… So it's not like I'm looking at great games and I want this company, that's not how we approach it."

Thank you for pointing that out. Will edit the link accordingly.

This is the same company whose CEO said they weren't going to talk about PS4 until after MS talked about the Xbone, and then turned around like 2 weeks later and had PS Meeting 2013. What it sounds like is that they are looking for acquisitions, but they have to make sure whoever they buy either has some pedigree or potential to succeed. MS bought up all of these AA studios and the irony is that not many of them have produced a mega hit so you are gambling. Sony doesn't want to gamble.
That style of studio acquisition worked well for them before because Microsoft and Nintendo weren't very keen on acquisitions. Now, Google and Facebook are trying to enter the gaming market while Microsoft is aggressively building its first-party studio line-up. I think it'll be complacent of them to just be content with what they were previously doing in terms of acquisitions. I also don't think Ninja Theory, Obsidian Entertainment, and Playground Games are very risky acquisitions. They've proven themselves to be very capable developers and MS was not afraid to invest on them and secure their talents.

Jun 23, 2019

Q: "Santa Monica Studio is one of the more successful first party studios that you have. Are you actively looking around for more studios that you could acquire to beef up your first party roster?"
Shu: "The answer is no. When you look our history of acquisition, the last acquisition I think was media molecule. Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac, always we have the history of working together as developer and publisher and had successful IP's created together… We have a really strong relationship and good business and desire to continue that relationship, so we kind of formalize the relationship. That's what happened with Insomniac, the same way. The history goes back to Spyro the Dragon in 1998, so more than 20 years we worked as developer and publisher… So it's not like I'm looking at great games and I want this company, that's not how we approach it."

That style of studio acquisition worked well for them before because Microsoft and Nintendo weren't very keen on acquisitions. Now, Google and Facebook are trying to enter the gaming market while Microsoft is aggressively building its first-party studio line-up. I think it'll be complacent of them to just be content with what they were previously doing in terms of acquisitions. I also don't think Ninja Theory, Obsidian Entertainment, and Playground Games are very risky acquisitions. They've proven themselves to be very capable developers and MS was not afraid to invest on them and secure their talents.

Of those three mentioned studios, only Playground Games made a hit game with Forza Horizon. Ninja Theory's "biggest" hit until this point was DmC, Obsidian's being Fallout: New Vegas and both games didn't exactly light up the sales charts. It makes sense for MS. They need to round out the diversity of their first party games and buying all these smaller AA studios in hopes that one becomes the next ND is their current MO. Sony doesn't need to go down this road. They already have 10+ studios under the Sony WWS umbrella and just grabbed Imsomniac. I'd rather Sony expand out their current studios and keep their chain going instead of buying a new studio unless it works in their favor. Don't buy studios just to try and match MS.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Ahh, thanks for the full quote. I'm hoping Jim and Hermen are able to get Sony to crack open the piggybank and pick up some more studios. I think we're going to see more and more acquisitions by newcomers and by MS and I'd like to see Sony secure devs before they're gone.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yep you dont see many open world games with everything looking like a setpiece
Yeah, and that's being pretty much a launch game. Along with the First Light add-on.
The location shots at the end of the newest GoT trailer were gorgeous and nicely varied too, can't wait to explore, some really colorful, some really atmospheric, that stunning night shot with the climbing, heck one of the brief shots felt like the SotC remake.

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I may or may not know about 2 huge games Sony are releasing next year

And those may or may not be TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima
giphy.gif

Oct 1, 2019
Of those three mentioned studios, only Playground Games made a hit game with Forza Horizon. Ninja Theory's "biggest" hit until this point was DmC, Obsidian's being Fallout: New Vegas and both games didn't exactly light up the sales charts. It makes sense for MS. They need to round out the diversity of their first party games and buying all these smaller AA studios in hopes that one becomes the next ND is their current MO. Sony doesn't need to go down this road. They already have 10+ studios under the Sony WWS umbrella and just grabbed Imsomniac. I'd rather Sony expand out their current studios and keep their chain going instead of buying a new studio unless it works in their favor. Don't buy studios just to try and match MS.
I've played Hellblade, DmC, and The Outer Worlds, and for me, they have the potential to be among the greatest developers.
Expanding the already stellar first-party line-up of Sony, yeah, I can see that. In fact, I think that's what they'll actually do. I'm just not sure that's the right way to maintain their dominance next generation.

Ahh, thanks for the full quote. I'm hoping Jim and Hermen are able to get Sony to crack open the piggybank and pick up some more studios. I think we're going to see more and more acquisitions by newcomers and by MS and I'd like to see Sony secure devs before they're gone.
Facebook said more acquisition announcements to come and Microsoft saying they are still looking for more studios. If Google is not dropping Stadia, I think there is no other way to bolster their platform's exclusive line-up fast other than dumping truckloads of money into developers for exclusivity and/or acquisition. So yeah, I do hope to see them secure some studios too.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.