• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Is this the PS meeting waiting room?
Yes.

Come and wait with us.

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

Any moment now...

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Street Fighter V is still exclusive. About Final Fantasy VII Remake, we'll see.

It's completely possible that I have forgot a game, but which one? Games like Nier: Automata, Persona 5 or Yakuza 6 aren't AAA, for example.
What do you mean by "we'll see"? FFVIIR was never announced as a full exclusive, and it's well known it's only a timed exclusive.
If you're counting console exclusives (aka like SFV), Nioh 1/2 is absolutely a AAA project for KT. Still doesn't make much sense to count those anyway.
The main reason why Fatal Frame and Siren were too niche back then, wasn't it because it was mainly Japanese in its setting (locales/folklore/etc)? When you look at similar horror games of that time (Silent Hill and Resident Evil), they are technically set in North America/western countries, which helps a lot for the audience/player's immersion. Today, I don't know if I would say the same about the current landscape of gamers. Nowadays they are more willing to try Japanese-centric games like Yakuza, Nioh or Sekiro. There's room for Siren to also make a proper comeback. A Japanese-centric horror game with things people aren't really used to see or hear, could give the series a nice boost of exposure. Remember, despite the origin of the series, the last trailer we got for Kojima's take on Silent Hills would have most likely hit closer to Junji Ito's Japanese horror roots than the traditional western horror tropes. Japanese horror should (and hopefully will) make a proper comeback. 🤔😎
There's not "too niche back then". There's been multiple games over multiple gens, and they didn't sell recently either. There's a reason Siren was dropped by Sony, and Fatal Frame got new games only because another publisher put money in it (multiple interviews point that Fatal Frame would have stopped at 3 otherwise).
I love those games, but they focus indeed too much on japanese folklore and psychological horror for the mainstream. PT didn't.
It's the equivalent of Ring vs The Ring, and I'm not sure they'd like to use those IPs to try something american-themed (which Silent Hill always was).

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
What do you mean by "we'll see"? FFVIIR was never announced as a full exclusive, and it's well known it's only a timed exclusive.
If you're counting console exclusives (aka like SFV), Nioh 1/2 is absolutely a AAA project for KT. Still doesn't make much sense to count those anyway.
About Final Fantasy VII Remake, we know that it is a timed exclusive, but we don't know what it means. Is it one month, three months, one year, more? After that, will the game only release on PC, or also on Xbox?

About Nioh, I agree it's a big project for Koei Tecmo, but it doesn't mean the game has a AAA budget (at least 50-60M). But yeah, we can exclude third party exclusives if you prefer.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
If Sony were to get back into the first party JRPG space, I think The Legend of Dragoon would be the best place to start.

I don't want to hold out hope that this is the remake Bluepoint is doing at the moment, but I hope one day they get a crack at it.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If Sony were to get back into the first party JRPG space, I think The Legend of Dragoon would be the best place to start.
In my opinion, a new JRPG IP could also be good.

It doesn't have to be burdened with already existed IPs' traditions what not, but a fresh new world, characters, story, lore, music, battle system, etc, would be nice.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
In my opinion, a new JRPG IP could also be good.

It doesn't have to be burdened with already existed IPs' traditions what not, but a fresh new world, characters, story, lore, music, battle system, etc, would be nice.

I feel you.

I'd be super hype for any sort of JRPG game from Sony. From a risk perspective though, LoD with it's existing hungry fanbase, could be a way for Sony to test the waters a bit going back to this genre. Sony would need one of their internal studios/partners to be willing to do it... Bluepoint is. C'mon Sony! lol

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
like, if Sony release two versions of PS5 at lauch, one standard and one is a PRO version. Which one would you get??

Of course, a more PRO version could release down the line.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
like, if Sony release two versions of PS5 at lauch, one standard and one is a PRO version. Which one would you get??

Pro, and then upgrade down the line. Just for me I like to have more power, though what stopped me getting a One X and just sticking with the 4 Pro was the games. So I guess Sony games + more powerful hardware.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Definitly Pro. Really hope they will launch with a box that will be near the absolute top of what is currently (realisticly) possible.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018

I don't want to hold out hope that this is the remake Bluepoint is doing at the moment, but I hope one day they get a crack at it.
Either that or reboot Alundra.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I feel you.

I'd be super hype for any sort of JRPG game from Sony. From a risk perspective though, LoD with it's existing hungry fanbase, could be a way for Sony to test the waters a bit going back to this genre. Sony would need one of their internal studios/partners to be willing to do it... Bluepoint is. C'mon Sony! lol
I just hope they (SIEJA especially...) could find the footing for current & future new IPs.

One property, nurturing it with evolutions, improvements, consistencies with each new games; bringing new fans + more sales.

That's why Persona manage to do that even after 25 years.

Very unfortunate couldn't be said to Dragoon, Arc, nor Wild Arms...

Neoarc

Dec 26, 2019
I really think we will get the announcement of Playstation Meeting at the end of this month or first few days of February, if we considered 2013 playstation meeting announcement on 31 January.

Unless the meeting will happen middle of February then most likely they will announce it middle of January.

Neoarc

Dec 26, 2019
And hello everyone

after long time resetera reader I have finally convinced my self to join at last.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
About Final Fantasy VII Remake, we know that it is a timed exclusive, but we don't know what it means. Is it one month, three months, one year, more? After that, will the game only release on PC, or also on Xbox?

About Nioh, I agree it's a big project for Koei Tecmo, but it doesn't mean the game has a AAA budget (at least 50-60M). But yeah, we can exclude third party exclusives if you prefer.
There's no set budget for AAA. KT considered it AAA in their own investors meetings.

I didn't count Death Stranding and Bloodborne in your list given Sony's involvement with those two for example, but thinking about it, Quantic Dream's games barely fit anymore in that list too (none are exclusive anymore).

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Taipei Show Games: (keep in mind, these can be just old trailers, which for Elden Ring, is probably the case)

• The Last of Us Part 2
  • Marvel's Iron Man VR
  • NiOh 2
  • Fairy Tail
  • Ys IX
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Resident Evil Resistance
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 4
  • Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris
  • Tales of Arise
  • Elden Ring
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim
  • Granblue Fantasy Versus
  • Yakuza Like a Dragon
  • NBA 2K20
  • Gungrave G.O.R.E.
  • Yo-Kai Watch 4 ++
  • Way of the Samurai Gaiden Katanakami
  • Gleamligh
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Trials of Mana
  • Marvel's Avengers

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

There's not "too niche back then". There's been multiple games over multiple gens, and they didn't sell recently either. There's a reason Siren was dropped by Sony, and Fatal Frame got new games only because another publisher put money in it (multiple interviews point that Fatal Frame would have stopped at 3 otherwise).
I love those games, but they focus indeed too much on japanese folklore and psychological horror for the mainstream. PT didn't.
It's the equivalent of Ring vs The Ring, and I'm not sure they'd like to use those IPs to try something american-themed (which Silent Hill always was).
PT maybe didn't, but the last trailer for Kojima's Silent Hills did and heavily used Japanese folklore.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
PT maybe didn't, but the last trailer for Kojima's Silent Hills did and heavily used Japanese folklore.
I don't remember that.

This one? That's what I meant by Ring vs The Ring. There's similar themes used throughout, and you can feel the Ito influence, but it's still done in an american way (Del Toro's influence I guess). It's similar to The Evil Within in a way.
You can't really compare that to what was done in Zero and Siren, and why this didn't appeal to a wider audience.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
I have a feeling I'll wake up at 6 AM CET and read a bunch of nothing ..... or the internet will have imploded and I'll be in the dark ...

Status
Not open for further replies.