• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
True Lies is unquestionably James Cameron's best film, and it KILLS me that I can't enjoy the exploits of the Crimson Jihad whenever I so desire.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The bathroom fight scene in MI: Fallout reminded me of True Lies. I had no idea that TL was virtually impossible to track down nowadays. That's very strange for such a popular movie.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer if they had both versions of Abyss when they finally get around to putting it on Bluray.

Saw the extended edition on TV ages ago and personally preferred the theatrical release. The extra cold war tension stuff was fine, but the giant tidal wave seemed kinda hokey.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Did the aliens...
make giant tidal waves and drive them towards all of Earth's major coastal cities, only to freeze them just before impact, in order to
make a point about the escalating nuclear tension playing up in the background of the film?

Nope.

They just
got him back to the surface to reunite him with the others

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Wierd. I always thought "oh when I see The Abyss on Blu Ray I need to buy it. No rush". Explains why I've never seen it on a shelf and chanced to buy it.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
4K scan of The Abyss you say?
WaryFemaleAldabratortoise-small.gif

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty weird, it's not like there aren't good prints they can remaster and release. I saw a 70mm print of the Abyss earlier this year and it looked gorgeous.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Jesus, I forgot there is even an Avatar sequel in the works. That movie feels like it came out a million years ago, like Jurassic Park feels more recent than Avatar.

That's because for the last eight years we have had two Jurassic Park movies and zero Avatar movies.

Yes, Avatar really is nine years old.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Skip the Abyss movie, its terrible. Stick with the book.

Haha... whaaaat?

The Abyss is far from terrible. It's a monumental acheivement. You can't avoid having extreme feelings while watching that movie. Aliens can be reduced to space marines surrounded by an army of perfect killing organisms and Titanic was an ironically tragic first date. The Abyss on the other hand is really nuanced -- tough guys doing maybe the most difficult job on the plant that show a wide range of sensitivity, pitted against a seal team 6-esque group of killers that are liberating a nuclear weapon to decimate suspected aliens, and wipe out what would be our first contact, all the while an estranged couple work out their feelings for each other in the most extreme way possible -- their trust in each other is tested in a way that still crushes me whenever I think about it for too long... man, that movie has it all... except an HD release!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
He is picky about it.

He was pretty involved with the Aliens release and wanted to make sure the coloring was perfect so I imagine he has to hold a hand while doing that but he is busy with all his other movies.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
They're both on Netflix in HD in my country. Incredible that we get something over the US for once.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
They're a cartoonish portrayal of middle eastern terrorists.

Hmm, aren't terrorists of any nationality pretty much cartoonish in these kinds of movies? Whether it be True Lies, Die Hard, The Rock, Con Air, Rush Hour, Hot Fuzz, Speed, the entire F&F franchise, etc. This is a movie in which Arnie literally launches a terrorist stuck to a missile and says "You're fired" prior to pushing the button.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's not based on a book this person is lying or joking

The novelization was written by Orson Scott Card (in his days when he was one of the top sci-fi novelists in the world and not crazy). It was outstanding as far as novelizations go (Cameron actually wrote a huge intro to the book where he was adamant that it be a novel and not a novelization) but definitely not better than the movie IMO.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The novelization was written by Orson Scott Card (in his days when he was one of the top sci-fi novelists in the world and not crazy). It was outstanding as far as novelizations go (Cameron actually wrote a huge intro to the book where he was adamant that it be a novel and not a novelization) but definitely not better than the movie IMO.
Yeah I actually looked it up earlier on the off chance I was wrong (although it being my fave movie growing up I was pretty sure) and saw that about Card. Quite the coup for an adaptation but I'll stick to the movie. One of my all time favorite Ed Harris roles

Off topic I recall back in the 90's people said the liquid they used for him to deep dive was real and the rat was actually put in it. I think they said as much on the BTS videos? Seems crazy so probably not true but I always thought it was neat that the rumour floated around. A very 90's type of thing (E television in their inception said the hover board in BTF was real too lol)