• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts HD collection. The easiest mode is very, very easy and boosts your character's level WAY up. My niece, who has had a lot of heavy video game restrictions n her life, was able to play it and really enjoyed it.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
If the kid wants to be social with the other kids in school Fortnite is a must. My mom teaches elementary and all she hears is about Fortnite. I'm sure your kid is dying to play it. It's cartoony and the violence never gets gory in any way.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rayman was on psplus last month so you might even already have that?

A Lego game from a franchise they like is a solid bet too.

Griegous

Oct 27, 2017
Steep is a no-brainer for me. It is the only game my 5 year old asks me to play. Nothing else interests him on a console.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Here are some of my games from my collection my older kids kids have stumbled across and really like. (3 5 And 9).

More 'recent' titles, can all be played on Wii u.
Mario kart 8
New smb wii/wii u
Super Mario 3d world
Elebits, a first person shooter control scheme, but you have a gravity gun and use it to manipulate the environment to uncover and zap up little electricity creatures to power up your gun and lift heavier objects and repeat the loop (my 9 year old has recently discovered the level editor for this, and is really getting into making levels. In a 9 year old absurdist way of course, let's stack 5 cars and buildings everywhere etc so we can watch an crash)

They have come across the boxes for some Zeldas, and really like them, but have no interest in playing them, they just want to make me play and watch it. Ww botw and ss are their favourites.

Same with Mario 64 control style Mario's, they love getting me to play them, but won't play them themselves.

Older titles they came across from my nes. They actually really love a lot of these and will play them over newer games.

The Mario's of course. They really like Mario 2 USA, because of picking stuff up and throwing it.

The oldest loves tmnt2 the arcade game. None of them want to play tmnt1, lol.

They want to make me play megaman. They like all the robot creatures. Especially the giant ones.

The all time favourite right now is Snake Rattle n Roll, a isometric 3d game with control set at 45 degree angles.

It was one of, if not the first games made by rare after changing the name from Ultimate to Rare.

You are a snake, and you have to eat little critters, and the more you eat the longer your tail gets, and the heavier your snake, at the end of the level is a scale, and if your tail is long enough, it rings the bell at the top and the exit opens up.

First three levels are an absolute joy. Fourth is tough, and after that the game just goes insane on difficulty. Surprisingly they have made it to level seven.

images

Interesting trivia bit, the levels are actually connected, forming one single mountain.

hHRqT.png

My five year old daughter is particularly crazy about this one right now, and is pretty dang good, she get to level 5 on her own.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
My son is 4 year old and he loves to play the below:

- Sonic mania
- Crash Banidcoot nsane trilogy
- ratchet and clank

He also demanded that i bring him Spyro

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A second hand Wii U and Super Mario 3D World would be a better buy.

Especially if he is just finding his feet.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Is cartoon violence a no-no?(looney tunes levels of violence,i mean) I grew up playing crash so the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane trilogy is a must buy imo, physical, three games, very pretty and on ps4. For the love of god if you but this PLEASE start with Warped, crash 1 is HARD.

Spyro is going to be out soon, i never got a real copy of these but we used to spend a lot of time in the demo.

Lego games

Maybe Rachet and Clank

Sonic Mania(i think this one is mostly digital though)

Ni no kuni 2 might be better as he grows older, since the game is a bit complex with the battle systems(not hard, just a bit overwhelming if the kid never played an rpg)

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knack, Teraway, Journey, Abzu, Farm Simulator, some Lego games.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you think the game is a little complex, such as Rachet and Clank...trust me kids pick up muscle memory and mechanics extremely fast.

He will get better rapidly even if he isn't good to start.

Like a lot of people have said:

LEGO games
Rachet and Clank
Rayman
Rocket League
(he will be terrible but he will have fun with you, especially if you act animated)

Racing Games - My brother would let my nephew drive around and he was really bad. Went back home about 8 months later and he was finishing races.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
My 4 year old plays Minecraft and Mario Kart, loves them, over the last few months it was his goal to get all the trophies on the 50cc tracks :) we use it as a reward system as well. So I'd go with any kart racers on PS4, easy to pick up and play and you don't have to get stuck in for hours, quick 15minutes and done. He also loves playing DariusBurst, calls it the spaceship game, it's great to see them totally suck to being able to complete a level with ease.

Started playing Lost Legacy and he saw me driving the Jeep through the jungle so I let him drive it around for a while, sometimes he just wants to interact and not really have any objective, so all about experimenting with a couple titles.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Crash is solid, may be a tad difficult but once he gets the hang of it, it'll be fun. Probably a good way to increase hand eye cordination or something like that.

Spider-Man in September too would be great.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodb.. oh wait.

Online multiplayer games are good if he has friends. if you have a PS Plus account for him to use. Dragonball FighterZ, Everybody's Golf, I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

Oct 27, 2017
My kids (5 and 7) play the following on PS4:

- Minecraft
- Rayman
- Assassin's Creed Origins discovery mode (no violence)
- Resogun
- Minecraft
- Gang Beasts
- Minecraft
- Minecraft

johnhandy

Oct 29, 2017
Lego City Undercover is great. The puzzles aren't particularly complex and the overworld has a lot of things to do to unlock new characters and vehicles. Some of the side quests were frustrating even for me due to the poor camera controls (or lack thereof in certain spots) but he was able to do 90% of them solo.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
For PlayStation, I recommend Kingdom Hearts, Rayman, Overcooked, Sonic Mania

I have a professor whose little girl loves Ni No Kuni but I can't personally speak to its difficulty.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I should have mentioned, that he will play not too often in the future either :D I'm not sure if that timesink would be a good idea

Minecraft is like LEGO, it inspires imagination and creativity, and even helps them learn many different things. I would actually argue that it is one of the best uses of time for a young child to have.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Going by what my son likes, try Cars 3, minecraft and plants vs Zombies Garden warfare 2.

We actually stopped my 7 year old son from playing fortnite, her mother wants to steer him away from games with violence against humans for now.

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I had the best time playing with mi kids with Rayman, Guacamelee and Towerfall ascension. Of the the three, Rayman is probably the easiest and is a blast!

Oct 27, 2017
Do his friends play Minecraft? Even if they don't then Minecraft

My kids play Roblox with their friends too but they're a little older

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Hi,
I'm looking for some game recommendations for my son. His 7th birthday is in a few weeks, and I'm a little lost tbh.

First, some background. We were very strict with games in the past. We think a 4 year old kid has better things to do than playing videogames. There were some kids friendly iPad/iPhone games here and there, but nothing major. We are talking maybe one or two hours a month.

Now that he is in school, he has friends with PlayStations and whatnot, and of course he wants to play games at home too. I can't blame him for that XD

This is what I'm looking for:

- PS4 (sadly no Switch in our house yet, and it's too expensive as a birthday gift)
- It should be easy. Nothing complicated with too much text and crazy mechanics. I want him to have fun, we can play harder games later, when he learns to play
- absolutely NO GORE or anything close to real violence. It's ok to see Lego blocks fall apart, but there is no way he plays something brutal or scary
- Physical, I don't want to gift him a screenshot of a digital game
- Singleplayer, Couch Coop is a plus though as I could play with him then

I was thinking about the Lego games. There are a lot of them out there, are they any good? I don't care if it's older as long as it runs on my PS4 ;) It should be accessible and easy.

He played Knack for a while but got bored of it I think, and Skylanders at his friends house. Oh, and AC:Origins tour, he wasn't too interested into the history of Egypt though lol.

Thanks a lot!
Rocket league
Marvel super heroes lego
Crash trilogy
The megaman collections
Sonic mania
Rayman legends
Transformers devastation
Tearaway
Ratchet and clank 2016

Off the top of my head for now
Some of those have couch co op and are thr games my ousins play when they visit us

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Resident Evil 7

Joking :P. Lego games are a nice pick, I would recommend the Marvel Heroes ones since they have a ton of characters he could recognize. Sonic Mania could also prove to be fun. Check out Rayman Legends and Little Big Planet 3 too!

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks all again!

Regarding the time he spends in front of video games. I don't want to discuss this here as it will derail the thread for sure. So just take it as a fact that he won't play games every day for hours anytime soon. And especially not a shooter like Fortnite

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Ratchet and Clank
Gravity Rush
Rayman Legends
Kingdom Hearts (Maybe this is a bit too complex for him but if he likes Disney it's worth a shot)
Crash N'sanity trilogy (Yes Crash 1 is tough as nails, but 2 and especially 3 should be right up his alley)
Spyro remakes (This isn't out yet, but I believe it comes out in September. Looks great and should be easy for him to get into)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Ratchet & Clank
Little Big Planet
Spyro (in september :P)

Digitals: PaRappa the Rapper, LocoRoco

Deleted member 11663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also saying Kingdom Hearts HD Collections. Very child-friendly game and fun gameplay. It has many magic moments and teaches many things like how important friendship is and to help others in need.

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just let him play want he wants to play. I don't see why you need to baby him so much. When I was around that age I played everything my brother played (huge age gap). FF, MGS, Mario, Zelda etc.
But just for the sake of the thread I'll say Crash/Spyro. Enjoyed all of those games.