• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I want to say the Kingdom Hearts collection, but for example, my friend got lost a couple of times during the first game (only the first one though), so I'm not fully supporting it. They are very cool though, because of the Disney characters. I think it's a very nice pick overall to be honest. (Buy KH3 though, when it releases.)

I also want to say FFIX but that is not available physically and you said you are trying to avoid those (It was my very first "big adventure" video game so I'm biased on this one. I still cherish my time with it).

Ratchet and Clank is a nice choice.
What about Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, I'm haven't played it myself but I've heard a few people mentioning it before.
Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy is probably too hard? I haven't tried it myself.
Tearaway is nice too. I never got LittleBigPlanet 3 but I'm sure it's also cool.
Maybe Dragon Quest Builders?
Shadow of the Colossus may be a bit hard and dark...

About the Lego games, I have never played any of them, but recently I saw a short stream by Brandon Jones and it looked very good.

This is called, Lego DC-Super Villains (release: oct 16, 2018), and here is the video:

Last edited:
OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A LEGO game could be great, especially Dimensions if your son likes LEGO irl x)
I could get the starter pack right now for 30€. I guess thats an ok deal?

How does the dlcs work? Can you buy them without buying the actual figures? I'm a bit worried, that you won't get any in the future as Lego already stopped developing for it. And used, probably rare, Lego tends to be expensive...

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Is Spiderman rated M? Man kids love Spiderman. Im sure your kid would love too.

And don't restrict his gaming.Get him on Fortnite train right now.

Oct 27, 2017
If your son likes vehicles then definitely get Lego City Undercover. It's a story of a police officer chasing down a crime boss by infiltrating and taking down his partners and enterprises across the city, and you go between downtown, a prison, a farm, and various hideouts and secret bases all the way up to the moon. It's got loads of fun vehicles of almost every type and it is a mix of open world mayhem and more linear missions. If he has any interest in vehicles and/or Lego I'm sure he'll love it, and at 7 years old he's probably just the right age for its content and difficulty.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I read a little more about the Lego games, and it looks like there are no real stinkers, I think my son would love to play all of them ;)

I'll try to figure out what's his favorite Lego theme right now. :)

And again, I don't want to discuss how to deal with video games and kids in this thread. I'm just looking for easy, fun games for a young boy, who is pretty new to console gaming.

Anto91

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
I could get the starter pack right now for 30€. I guess thats an ok deal?

How does the dlcs work? Can you buy them without buying the actual figures? I'm a bit worried, that you won't get any in the future as Lego already stopped developing for it. And used, probably rare, Lego tends to be expensive...

As far as i know, yes, the "DLC" are sold through expansion pack with actual figures, sadly :(
Still, 30€ for the PS4 starter pack could be a great deal, the concept behind Dimensions can really be fascinating for a child :)

But in the end you could pick up any LEGO game. Search for his favorite brand and you can't really go wrong x)

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read a little more about the Lego games, and it looks like there are no real stinkers, I think my son would love to play all of them ;)

I'll try to figure out what's his favorite Lego theme right now. :)

And again, I don't want to discuss how to deal with video games and kids in this thread. I'm just looking for easy, fun games for a young boy, who is pretty new to console gaming.

They're a bit boring. Very linear with added obtuse placing of the blocks you're supposed to 'build' to continue the story.

Minecraft and Fortnite.

Minecraft for the deep, deep unending simple looking mechanics and Fortnite for some mild peril with a cartoony feel.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Don't buy him a single game, buy him like 3 and let him decide what he wants to play. Like, buy 1 physical as a nice gift and then buy a bunch of games digitally for cheap. I remember as a kid playing games that were too hard and giving up on them and then 1-2 years later going back to them and having the time of my life. Games I think I wouldn't play if I hadn't tried them before. If you feel some games could be good but to much of a timesink just set a time limit (like an hour).

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sure, my library is filled with games mentioned in this thread I totally forgot about, so I will not force him to play anything he does not enjoy, of course :) I just want to find a game for his birthday he might like.

And no, Fortnite, an online multiplayer shooter isn't a game I want my son to play. And at least in his school/class it does not exist.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That is a great idea! Is your 5 year old at all interested in it?
I did this with my son as I mentioned in my op. It was the first time he played a 3rd Person action game like it with a controller and it's pretty much perfect for this. No fighting, no fall damage, just enjoy traversing the world.

It's also beautiful and you can choose from many different characters. He got bored of it after a while though and wanted more. That's one of the reasons I created this thread ;-)

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad to see some sense in that OP. Unlike the other dude who wanted to play GoW 2018 with his 8 year old son....

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Smaller games work best I think. My recommendations:

LocoRoco

Patapon

Yoku's Island Express

Fe

Abzu

Grow Home

Rime

Hob

Disney Afternoon Collection

Knack

Sly Cooper games (via PS Now)

Oct 27, 2017
That is a great idea! Is your 5 year old at all interested in it?

She loves it! More than my 7 year old!

So my son is 7, he likes to explore the world, do the odd historical tour, find new places etc. My daughter is 5 and all she wants to do is role play as pedestrian Cleopatra in Alexandria; she likes to walk calmy along the pavements looking at all the stalls ("She wants to buy a carpet daddy"), maybe visiting the docks ("She's looking at the fish daddy), often just walking in fountains ("She has hot feet from all the walking daddy") and so on. It's ever so peaceful and it's a good conversation piece as the world is so intricate there is always something to be discussing (Mosaics, camels, sunsets, why there are no cars in ancient Egypt etc).

My son is mostly into Roblox these days. There's some great games on there too, but I supervise him to make sure he's not chatting online or accepting friend requests. My daughter likes Roblox too so if you have a tablet or laptop or PC its another option for kids games.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I picked up Lego: Marvel Super Heroes with my PS4 at launch and found it to be a highly enjoyable game and it has a 2 player mode.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see some sense in that OP. Unlike the other dude who wanted to play GoW 2018 with his 8 year old son....

Let's lay off the backseat parenting. If that guy thinks his son is emotionally mature enough for a game like God Of War then I am inclined to take his word on it. It is his son, I'm sure he knows what he can handle better than a random, judgemental forum goer.

Deleted member 3876

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at my collection, and like, damn, absolutely nothing meets your criteria. Even the single-player non-violent stuff I have is puzzle-y stuff that would probably bore the kiddo to tears. I suck lol.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
She loves it! More than my 7 year old!

So my son is 7, he likes to explore the world, do the odd historical tour, find new places etc. My daughter is 5 and all she wants to do is role play as pedestrian Cleopatra in Alexandria; she likes to walk calmy along the pavements looking at all the stalls ("She wants to buy a carpet daddy"), maybe visiting the docks ("She's looking at the fish daddy), often just walking in fountains ("She has hot feet from all the walking daddy") and so on. It's ever so peaceful and it's a good conversation piece as the world is so intricate there is always something to be discussing (Mosaics, camels, sunsets, why there are no cars in ancient Egypt etc)..

Lovely! I will give it a shot after Dragon Quest Builders.

@OP: Also Rime (despite a certain scary segment) and Unravel were big winners at our home.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am really fond of Yooka-Laylee, but others might disagree. It is not extremely easy, because it employs similar death mechanics as common on N64. Other than that there is also Sonic Mania Plus releasing in July, depending on when your son's birthday is, which is an excellent side scroller with very simple, intuitive mechanics.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts games are good, but might be a little hard for a seven year old with very little gaming experience.

I would go
Little big planet 3
Lego games (whatever his favorite property is that lego does, lots of choices.)

I think lbp3 is perfect because it's
Not difficult
Has 4 player co op
4 different playable characters bring variety
Level creation tools are there if he ever gets into that. You can show him YouTube videos of the crazy stuff people make in those games. Education potential.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
How about those Skylander games? Not only can he video game he also have some real figures to play with. You can find bunch of cheap Skylander figures on eBay.

Vargavinter

Oct 27, 2017
Stardew Valley is a great game, or Slime Rancer is super cozy to play.

Slime-Rancher-Free-Download.jpg

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts games are good, but might be a little hard for a seven year old with very little gaming experience.

Have you tried the remix easy mode? It is very, very easy. It turns Sora into a tank, and it makes him hit VERY hard. Though, admittedly, you would want to play with them to help them get through some sections (and maybe help with some of the reading).

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
I have. Child that just turned 7 also here is my suggestion:

LEGO games
Side scroller beat em ups( castle crashers)
Journey/flower
Resogun
Knack/knack2
Hate to say it but fortnite
If you have pS now I would recommend any of the Katamari games.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So. Today this happened.

He was dancing, showed us a dance he "learned" at school.
Turns out it was a Fortnite emote lol. I guess I lost

He has no idea about the game though. Phones etc are forbidden in school.

Anyway. I asked some totally random questions. I think Marvel is a safe bet, anything City would be fine, too

Jan 12, 2018
Hey there! I have a 5 yo daughter that I game with...Unfortunately, probably 80% of our gaming is 1st Party Nintendo games because they are almost always safe. That being said, we've played a few games that she has loved (or loved to watch) on the Playstation including:
Rayman Origins and Legends
LittleBigPlanet
Overcooked
Sonic Mania
Teraway

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 7 and 9 year old boys.

Their favs:

Lego games (marvel/ batman/ force awakens and now Incredibles)
Disney infinity (discontinued)
Minecraft
Minecraft story mode
Little big planet 3
Dragon Quest Builders
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Battlefront 1/2 (we allow it because its sci fi themed and not bloody/ gory at all)

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have no idea about Kingdom Hearts. Where do you start on PS4. Wait for the new one or should we play one of the multiple existing ones?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Lot's of good suggestions, but don't discount the digital games there are some greats. Get a jewel case and print a cover for it if you really want to gift something physical :)
  • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
  • Overcooked
  • Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2
All of those have been a big hit with my daughter (she's 10) and we play them together frequently.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
I know you said PS4 and not digital, but there are some really good games for young children on Steam (and if it's not interesting for you, maybe it' interesting for other parents):

More:
Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna): https://store.steampowered.com/app/295790
The Last Tinker™: City of Colors: https://store.steampowered.com/app/260160
LEGO City Undercover: https://store.steampowered.com/app/578330
Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas: https://store.steampowered.com/app/339200
Shelter: https://store.steampowered.com/app/244710
Contraption Maker: https://store.steampowered.com/app/241240
A Boy and his Blob: https://store.steampowered.com/app/281200/A_Boy_and_His_Blob/

Also pretty much everything by Humongous Entertainment:
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/42723/

And Amanita Design:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/272/Amanita_Bundle/

Last edited:

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy.

What about Trine 2 it is rated ages 10+ and is digital only (it is up for £2.49 currently on the UK PS4 store) what do other people think in regards to the age rating though?

Trine 2: Complete Story is a beautiful, award-winning sidescrolling game of action, puzzles and platforming. Play as the three Heroes – Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight, and Zoya the Thief – and join their adventure through dangers untold in a fantastical fairytale world, including physics-based puzzles using fire, water, gravity and magic wicked goblins and their evil plan and a magical environment full of wonder.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
I have to join the LEGO chorus. Many of the major licenses are covered, couch co-op and you never run out of lives. I suppose the puzzles have become somewhat formulaic at this point but I have been playing these since the first LEGO Star Wars (first licensed game by TT?) and still enjoy the experience. They are like a comfort food.

Both of my sons (6, 8) like them. My 6yo is a really big fan. Loves Dimensions which remains as expensive as ever in it's discontinued state haha (very fun though).

PS4 will have plenty of high quality LEGO options.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The Lego games
Minecraft
Kingdom Hearts collection
Loco Roco 1 & 2
Tearaway
Little Big Planet 3
The two Rayman games
Ratchet and Clank
Crash Trilogy
Sonic Mania Plus

I think arcadey racing games are great for younger kids. Dead easy to control.

Onrush
Sonic Team Racing would be a good idea for Christmas when it comes out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have to push this once more.

As Switch is currently not an option, how about a Gameboy 2DS XL? Is this still a valid purchase?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I have to push this once more.

As Switch is currently not an option, how about a Gameboy 2DS XL? Is this still a valid purchase?

I almost bought myself a 2DS XL not that long ago honestly. The 3DS library is awesome and I personally never cared for the 3D anyway, always had it turned off on my 3DS.

Totally valid option for a young one taking their first few steps into gaming.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
All kids I know, my sons cousin for example, disable the 3D effect after a while.

I personally get headaches from it. Hate it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about the Lego games. There are a lot of them out there, are they any good? I don't care if it's older as long as it runs on my PS4 ;) It should be accessible and easy.

Yes they are really good!

I kind of fell out of favor with the newest ones, but there are a bunch that I've played and absolutely loved through my teenage years and up till a couple years ago. They're relaxing while still being stimulating, and they're pretty amusing too. Shame my favorites aren't on PS4. I would have loved to have every single one as a kid. Something I definitely look forward to playing with my own kids.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The last guardian is an emotional rollercoaster, right? That's even worse, he really has a hard time dealing with that. He is like is father in that regard XD

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, the Crash trilogy is perfect for him. Yes... they are pretty challenging but they will mold your son into a gaming god at an early age! Seriously though, those were the games that I was playing around his age. The third game has a lot of variety and I honestly don't think the challenge is that crazy. Especially if your son enjoys learning and getting better with each try. Because of the fixed camera and the relatively small move set, I don't think it's as complicated as something like Ratchet & Clank might be for a beginner. And I think frustration comes more from feeling like something is too complicated than it does from feeling like something is challenging. If he's really not into any sort of challenge though, definitely show him the Spyro trilogy when that comes out and see if it catches his interest. Those games are much more relaxed but they will teach your son a lot of the fundamentals in gaming and they are very charming as well.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just wanted to post an update. I bought him LEGO Marvel 1 and we are having a blast playing it together. Coop is implemented really well and the game itself is great, too. He loves fighting all the bad guys and unlocking new chars.

Thanks again for the help!