• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Well then we will continue living in a world where the people that think it's offensive continue to be offended by it, while the other side that thinks that's dumb continues saying it because they don't give a fuck. lose-lose.
I don't understand. Are you saying that if you don't get any say in what women should be called you're going to stop caring about what women want to be called?

Did you just throw a tantrum?

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I've heard the word 'females' it's in a situation where the word 'males' would apply if the context/gender was reversed.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a useless English degree, reading through many of the replies in this thread is giving me a nervous tick.
Please explain, cus as someone who barely remember the sentence diagram thingy I just go with what sounds right in my head. Sometimes it's "woman" and sometimes it's "female."

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
4559.jpg

Are you fishing for an avatar quote?
Pretty much I guess.

It's super weird when people use it as a noun. I immediately think of Ferengi.

Nathan_Drake

Nov 6, 2017
This is a prime example of a non issue and something you have to project someone's intentions onto. I feel when the right, center, and even some left leaning people talk about the absurdity of the progressive left this is what they are talking about.

Like they have to say men in conjuction with female. That's what makes it derogatory it seems. If they just say male and female then that argument of it being offensive doesn't make sense. We have already seen prof it is an adjective and a noun. It is common language in the military. It is the best word to describe the gender of a group of of all ages.

Even in this progressive forum people don't agree. I don't think there is any consensus on this. Even women in here disagree so who is to say it's offensive?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
If you wouldn't say "look at that male standing over there" then don't use the word "female" in that context either. It's not fucking hard. So many men clearly having a hard time using the word "women" shows how fucking low they value women. It's always "girls" or something clever or "females". Nah man, a grown woman is a woman. Deal with it and learn to not express yourself like a fucking child. Sheesh.
Honestly though, it really depends. I had a woman get upset because I referred to females in general as 'women' and said she was a 'lady.' I'm not even joking here. And this was in a public setting when I worked in retail. So like I previously said, it's really hit or miss on what might offend.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
OP is correct and you should follow that person's advice. Those resistant to that advice should examine their approach to the most basic of communication rules: call people what they want to be called, you absolute shits.

All of this is a similar framework for Asian vs. Oriental, which I'm certain most of you observe by now.

Oriental: rugs, spices
Asian: people!

Female: pigs, cows, dogs, plants
Women: people!

See how easy it is? All you gotta do is try.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then "women" is fine generally, unless you're writing or talking formally. You'd have to give context for me to go more into detail.

Scientific taxonomy is about the least-politicised language possible. Deliberately so.

This isn't like Miss / Mrs versus Mr, where there is an inherent bias within a term that forces one gender to reveal marital status where the other does not, and a proposed new neutral term - Ms - is proposed.

e:
Both "girl" and "woman" presuppose an age; one is patronising when used incorrectly, the other is kind of creepy.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. Are you saying that if you don't get any say in what women should be called you're going to stop caring about what women want to be called?

Did you just throw a tantrum?

I'm saying when a person or group of people says something is offensive offering minimal explanation and when someone else says 'I disagree', if the end result is one side his handwaved away by calling it 'mansplaing', I don't know what meaningful change is expected. Is that supposed to be the argument that convinces the other party that this word is offensive?

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
For context: here's a sampling of tweets posted with the word "females" over the last few minutes:
"Females that chys guys in a relationship are equivalent to that scummy pieces left in the drain after washing the dishes"
"Females be weird omm"
"Females who care about their follwer ratio are actually the worst"
"I need answers... Why do I stunt on these females? Do I not want the pussy anymore?"
"I got soooo many dirty looks saturday at Tiki from other females , yikes this is why I have more male friends"
"I don't trust no females except my mom and my sisters"
"Every female is some level of crazy. You just gotta pick your favorite type"
"A lot of females do be trying to be seen to much istg mfckers a go to sixflags or some with a whole skin tight dress and some heels on "
"Two Things I'll Never Do Is Put my Hands on a Female Nor Expose Them"

etc etc

That last one is sorta funny lol

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's really dependent upon the context for me. If "female" is used simultaneously with "male," it's consistent and I don't care. If "female" is used with "men," then I cringe a little bit, and the amount of cringe can vary and eventually morph into a side-eye if the person talking happens to be talking about people in general, in which case I assume laziness, or if they're discussing women specifically, in which case the use of "female" is almost always offensive to some degree.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, who has ever said "female" IRL when referring to a woman? I can barely think of a reason unless you're a cop like others have mentioned.

Even then it's shorthand for "female suspect/victim/whatever" aka not what the OP is talking about.

Honestly though, it really depends. I had a woman get upset because I referred to females in general as 'women' and said she was a 'lady.' I'm not even joking here. And this was in a public setting when I worked in retail. So like I previously said, it's really hit or miss on what might offend.

Ok but that's one person preferring to be called "lady" for whatever reason. OP is talking about a structural issue that is actively (or subconsciously) dehumanizing women. If you think there's a structural problem with people using or not using "lady" then uh, go ahead and make your case? Otherwise I don't see why you even brought it up tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh some people prefer being called African American. Most of them older folks who pushed back against being called colored or who got caught up in the 70s new wave of African heritage exploration.

Their kids mostly prefer to be called black as long as those kids don't come from 1st maybe 2nd gen immigrants.
Interesting. This is news to me.

I'm guessing its a similar dynamic with some Native Americans lately wanting to be called Indian and vice versa?

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Every time I've heard the word 'females' it's in a situation where the word 'males' would apply if the context/gender was reversed.
I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of people who are seeing the type of usage were 'females' or even 'males' would be used in a dehumanizing manner are finding it on social media. That explains a lot. Most social media tends to be a cesspool and, yes, if you see someone typing out men and females it's probably agenda driven.

If we're talking about most healthy discussion you can use male or female just fine in proper context and no one is going to ever give a shit. I think the OP could have used a little more context and some examples of where she sees this on a regular basis. I don't really dive into most social media outside forums so I never see that type of behaviour but looking at social media, now I get the frustration.

It's remarkable how much of people's daily interactions are primarily on social media. Language is weaponized.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
While I agree OP, the better and more interesting thread would be in regards to the word "girls".

Personally, while I use it as there isn't a great equivalent for "guys", I do understand if there is some offense.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
OP is correct and you should follow that person's advice. Those resistant to that advice should examine their approach to the most basic of communication rules: call people what they want to be called, you absolute shits.

All of this is a similar framework for Asian vs. Oriental, which I'm certain most of you observe by now.

^

Oct 28, 2017
And referring to her as "a female" would have been better?

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I've ever used the word female outside of talking about a dog or something, but these "it says a lot about their views on women" posts are just absolute nonsense.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I like how it's not even okay to bring up that not everyone agrees. I mean the OP is very much worded as objective truth, why is that okay but not bringing up that another woman disagrees?
Because it's easy for a guy to say "i asked my wife and she said it's ok!" you're latching on to the SMALL ASS minority of women that are fine with it and justifying that to ignore the majority who do. It's fucking infuriating and frustrating the lengths to which men will go to silence us and invalidate our feelings.

Nathan_Drake

Nov 6, 2017
The first sentence of the OP specifically mentions that this is about referring to men as men and women as female. Does your military background also lend you to responding to threads without reading the OP at all?
While the Op uses that example it says to not use the word for women. Not just when men is used in conjuction with it. Does your non military background lend you to responding to threads without reading comprehension?

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Scientific taxonomy is about the least-politicised language possible. Deliberately so.

This isn't like Miss / Mrs versus Mr, where there is an inherent bias within a term that forces one gender to reveal marital status where the other does not, and a proposed new neutral term - Ms - is proposed.
I mean, sure. But that's a formal context (taxonomy is about as formal as you can get actually). I don't think anyone is arguing against male, female, etc. in a formal context, but it'd be weird to use it in day to day life, just like referring to a person as a "Homo sapien sapiens".

Is there an informal context where you need to refer to all women, but for whatever reason can't use "women" or "girls"? I can't really think of one and I'm really trying to.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017

So you are fine calling people you disagree with 'absolute shits', but using the term females is off the table.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm saying when a person or group of people says something is offensive offering minimal explanation and when someone else says 'I disagree', if the end result is one side his handwaved away by calling it 'mansplaing', I don't know what meaningful change is expected. Is that supposed to be the argument that convinces the other party that this word is offensive?
Okay, but as a feminist, you can care that there are a significant portion of women who don't want that term used when referring to women and respect that.

And then if you're really on a roll you can stop and wonder why there are women out there that feel the need to actively oppose other women's request to not be referred to as "females"

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
I was once scolded by my professor for using women instead of females when referring to females of age group (18-22) sample data.
I read recently saying females is discriminatory for transwomen. [idk for real lmao]

cebri

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Drive-by trolling in a sensitive thread. Account still in junior phase.
500_F_146367503_INeUSbPivuoG8Frj7ZxpR2Jecz4ikIVs.jpg

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard it both ways in NJ.
Males, men, females, women. Who cares

Now if you start calling men tomatoes and women onions, we're gonna have problems.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, there are two big reasons to not do this:

1) It's rude as hell. It sounds like you're talking about animals, not people.

2) It makes you sound really stupid.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but as a feminist, you can care that there are a significant portion of women who don't want that term used when referring to women and respect that.

And then if you're really on a roll you can stop and wonder why there are women out there that feel the need to actively oppose other women's request to not be referred to as "females"

I don't know where this significant portion comes from.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
While I agree OP, the better and more interesting thread would be in regards to the word "girls".

Personally, while I use it as there isn't a great equivalent for "guys", I do understand if there is some offense.
Yeah, that is a more compelling discussion I think.

Practically no one says 'gals', and it feels strange when it does ever come up. But I do use 'guys' to include women if it's a collective of both genders. I guess that could be looked upon as demeaning, as it's failing to acknowledge the women in the group, or bundling them in with the men. But 'people' doesn't feel right either when it's friends.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
this is not a good thread.

OP opens thread on very contentious issue, puts minimal effort into OP and then disappears?

not cool.

Oct 28, 2017
While the Op uses that example it says to not use the word for women. Not just when men is used in conjuction with it. Does your non military background lend you to responding to threads without reading comprehension?
OP never said all uses of "female" bother her either. The only case she gave that specifically bothers her is the one she specifically said, so I'm going to go on that. But go ahead and assume exactly all the cases she doesn't like the word being used if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.