• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Just listened to Caliphate by NYT. The Prisoners episodes hit me hard.

Fantastic podcast, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Looking for podcast on unsolved stories, crimes, incidents with kinda an eerie vibe.

The stories must be real and I'd prefer if the podcast doesn't explain away as the work of Aliens, the occult or paranormal. Maybe asking for too much but gracias.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to remember the name of an advertiser and I figure this is the best place to ask.

It's a company that offers online courses in all sorts of different things. The deal (at least on Wonderful - but I haven't found an episode they were on) is 2 months for $0.99. I think it's name is close enough to Square Space that it's confusing.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I figure it's a good enough Christmas gift for my brother.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for podcast on unsolved stories, crimes, incidents with kinda an eerie vibe.

The stories must be real and I'd prefer if the podcast doesn't explain away as the work of Aliens, the occult or paranormal. Maybe asking for too much but gracias.
Generation Why is a good podcast that covers murders or missing persons and doesn't fall into blaming the supernatural.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have the podcast for you. This one is exclusively about unresolved missing person cases. All cases are real. Each episode features a different case, from the well-known to the obscure. It's well-done, regular & respectful:

It's called The Trail Went Cold.

http://trailwentcold.com/

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
lWCR9CA.jpg

halp

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
I have the podcast for you. This one is exclusively about unresolved missing person cases. All cases are real. Each episode features a different case, from the well-known to the obscure. It's well-done, regular & respectful:

It's called The Trail Went Cold.

http://trailwentcold.com/
Been listening to this a bit and digging it. He could stand to turn up the creep factor some but it's pretty much what I was looking for.

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been listening to this a bit and digging it. He could stand to turn up the creep factor some but it's pretty much what I was looking for.
The host takes a more clinical, procedural approach than some of the other podcasts I've found. He keeps the tone dry and obviously errs on the side of skepticism.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Anybody been listening to swindled? It's my favourite new find in good long time. It's about con men and con or unethical corporations etc, it seems to be very well researched. He also is an excellent story teller, every episode begins with a semi related story to the main story that really serves to set the scene of the time well.www.Swindledpodcast.com

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I've been absolutely addicted to The Adventure Zone for the last week or so. Getting close to the end of the balance arc. I can see why people could be bummed out by the fact that the actual D&D stuff has taken a step back in the recent arcs, but I think the brothers and their dad have hit the absolute perfect balance between dice-rolling, improvising, storytelling, playing the game, playing their characters and just general joking and goofing around.

I don't want to listen to hours of dice rolling and calculations, so a streamlined, more free-form D&D experience like this is perfect for a podcast imo.

Man, I'll be sad when I finish this. I have a feeling that TZA will become the second podcast along with SAYER that I just return to every now and then to re-listen to a few episodes. Like SAYER, it just pulls me in immediately and it's almost like the real world just fades away for the duration of the episode.

Thank god for the peeps on tumblr who have transcribed all these episodes, though. It can be a bit hard to follow at times.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Have you listened to Friends At The Table? It's another well balanced role playing podcast in the way you describe, imo. Different tone than Adventure Zone but similarly well executed.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Have you listened to Friends At The Table? It's another well balanced role playing podcast in the way you describe, imo. Different tone than Adventure Zone but similarly well executed.

First time I'm hearing of it, I'll definitely check it out when I'm done with TAZ. Thanks for the rec!

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Got another recommendation, http://thispodcastwillkillyou.com , podcast by two grad students studying disease ecology. Podcast is about diseases mostly but they touch on other things. They've got good rapport, clearly explain complex medical terms etc.

Tone varies from jokey to really serious, reminds me of last podcast on the left in that respect (they're nothing alike otherwise). It's really good and informative, I'd suggest the Plague two patter or influenza episode to start off with to see if it works for you.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The latest episode of Hollywood Handbook is now my favorite episode of any podcast ever, easily dethroning challengers from Chapo and Cumtown. What a banger.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
last weeks HH is an all timer. sorry i tried but cumtown isn't funny

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what's everyone's smartphone podcast app of choice?

Overcast?

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Please, please, please listen to 'Whatever Happened to the Pizza at McDonald's?" If I could only recommend 1 podcast ever, it would be that one.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
So what's everyone's smartphone podcast app of choice?

Overcast?
Podcast Addict on Android for me but I'm probably in the minority. I quite like the UI and how it looks as it's easy on the eyes. I paid for the ad-free version too.

On another note holy shit! The latest episode of Reply All was both fascinating and frustrating to listen to. Paul LaRue was a bonafide Internet Walter White. It was so infuriating then that Preet Bharara, the former NY DA decided to go after the mercs who worked for LaRue, not LaRue himself. It horrifies me to think about Mark Zuckerberg if he goes on a power trip. Zuckerberg has already done suspicious stuff as is so his moral compass isn't exactly saintly.

Oct 25, 2017
What happened that made it terrible?

It got a UI overhaul thats made it more difficult to use. Things that used to take one tap now take multiple, they have a pretty confusing archival system instead of being able to mark things as played.

There's a thread about it somewhere full of more complaints. I've mostly gotten used to it, but I still miss the old one.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It got a UI overhaul thats made it more difficult to use. Things that used to take one tap now take multiple, they have a pretty confusing archival system instead of being able to mark things as played.

There's a thread about it somewhere full of more complaints. I've mostly gotten used to it, but I still miss the old one.
I blocked updates on pocketcasts due to the new update. Devs turned arrogant about it too

Oct 25, 2017
I've listened to dozens and dozens of hours of Friends at the Table, and honestly I forget that Throndir, Ephraim, and Hadrian (whose name it took me about 30 seconds to remember, I kept getting stuck on Hodor) are three different characters.

Throndir and Ephraim's voices sound identical to me, still, and I can't definitely name a single thing that Throndir has done (because it's probably something that Ephraim did and vice versa).

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
First time I'm hearing of it, I'll definitely check it out when I'm done with TAZ. Thanks for the rec!

Also check out Not Another D&D Podcast (NADDPOD). Its from Brian Murphy and Jake Horowitz of College Humor. After the Balance Arc of TAZ ended I found that NADDPOD filled that hole left in my soul. Its the same mix of goofy fun and hearfelt storytelling with compelling characters and NPCs that makes TAZ so wonderful.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Also check out Not Another D&D Podcast (NADDPOD). Its from Brian Murphy and Jake Horowitz of College Humor. After the Balance Arc of TAZ ended I found that NADDPOD filled that hole left in my soul. Its the same mix of goofy fun and hearfelt storytelling with compelling characters and NPCs that makes TAZ so wonderful.

Nice, thanks! I decided it's finally time to sort of rip off that bandaid and actually finish the Balance arc (well okay, I've still got like 10 episodes left, but it's not gonna take long and I'm already sort of missing it lol) so I'll definitely check this one out (too)!

e: Just finished the last episode of The Stolen Century and man this is so hype. Definitely gonna try and finish this shit in the next few days. And I'm definitely giving this another listen some months or years later.

e2: Finished the Balance arc last night and whew was it bittersweet. Not the story itself, but the fact that I'm finally done. Not gonna lie, my eyes did get a bit wet during a couple of parts. I have a ton of thoughts on the arc itself, but I'm not gonna write a wall of text here, at least not in this post, but suffice to say I loved it overall.

I pretty much moved on to Amnesty right away. Not entirely sure how I feel about the game they're playing mechanics-wise, but otherwise I'm loving the potential so far. Loving the characters and the setting already.

Last edited:

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
So I've listened to pretty much every episode of Crime Junkie, Generation Why and The Trail Went Cold which has me craving for more. I tried listening to true ceime garage and it was pretty trash, that one dude always sounds drunk af and doesn't input anything intelligent.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
So I've listened to pretty much every episode of Crime Junkie, Generation Why and The Trail Went Cold which has me craving for more. I tried listening to true ceime garage and it was pretty trash, that one dude always sounds drunk af and doesn't input anything intelligent.
Casefile is the first one I really binged on. There are a couple episodes that were almost hard to finish, but the material is handled respectfully.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Finished up We're Alive a while back after having it on my list for years. Shockingly well produced audio drama, really impressed.

I'm currently onto episode 8 (maybe 7) of season 2 of The Black Tapes and I may not be usually be into this shipping business but damn, Dr Strand & Alex:

992812.jpg

It's my Mulder & Scully obsession all over again and I'm not sorry at all (although I'm 1000% sure it won't come to anything in this case).

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
2-B039-B69-9-CCA-449-B-ADB8-65-B42-E3-BD9-C5.png

So, this is the stuff I listen too and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for similar stuff? As far as music stuff goes, I've given Jasta's music show and found him as boring a host as a lead singer, but I am open to anything mostly!

Oct 26, 2017
I had a long car trip recently and listened to all of Dr. Death. My god, our healthcare system is so messed up. Anyone else listen to this?

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Casefile is the first one I really binged on. There are a couple episodes that were almost hard to finish, but the material is handled respectfully.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've pretty much binged it all these last few weeks and it might be my favorite true crime cast. The problem is now I need something new haha.