• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
From what I can tell, Ryme City (the city in Pokémon Detective Pikachu) seems to be based on London. A coincidence? Nah, I think Gen 8 is based on UK and Ryme City is the metropolis city.

On another note, maybe Kalos will be featured in the post game? You can travel betwen London and Paris by train, and wasn't there a mysterious train station in Kalos (Couriway town) going someplace unknown?

Also, I want a bagpipe pokémon.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant wait to get hyped at seeing the starters, see their speculated evolutions and being ENTIRELY let down by their final evolutions.

I didn't like Gen 6 or 7's starters. 5 only gets a pass from me because of Serperior. Litten's really let me down the most.

Who saw that cute cat turning into Heel Tony the Tiger? I really hope be get back to cool starters again, or I'll be boxing them for another generation in a row.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Entry stacking in VGC is non existant due to the speed of the game.

A meta without Stealth Rocks would be awful. Celesteela, Skarmory, Landorus-T, any flying defensive core would be absurd without Stealth Rocks.
tbh I didn't play gen 7 meta much to know. Just really dislike the move since forever because of how overused it always is.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I can tell, Ryme City (the city in Pokémon Detective Pikachu) seems to be based on London. A coincidence? Nah, I think Gen 8 is based on UK and Ryme City is the metropolis city.

On another note, maybe Kalos will be featured in the post game? You can travel betwen London and Paris by train, and wasn't there a mysterious train station in Kalos (Couriway town) going someplace unknown?

do you think? they would have to fully remake it though. you cant use 3ds assets on switch.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

It was filmed in London, but I think that choice was so that they could make a Blade Runner-esque metropolis, not to align with Gen 8 or anything.

cluto

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Sound type

Sound would need to fuck with as few vulnerable types as possible while also helping out some weak ones, even if it means making some matchups inert that would otherwise seem like they need some interaction. For example, it makes sense for Water to resist it, but it isn't really necessary balance-wise and just makes Water even better defensively than it already is. Likewise, it makes sense for it to be SA against Bug, but that type doesn't really need any further weaknesses.

These sound alright to me:

x2 attack against: Sound, Fairy,

x2 damage received from: Sound, Electric

.5x attack against: Ice, Ground, Psychic

.5x damage received from: Steel, Flying

But even so, there's so much that goes into introducing a new type into the series, then there's the fact that certain candidates for re-typing would encounter situations in which they lose something by dropping the old type. For example, how much does a Pokemon like Noivern gain from losing either Dragon or Flying to become part Sound? Also, the number of moves that could be reclassified as Sound is comparatively small, so they'd have to come up with a lot more moves for it.

I'm not comping at the bit for a new type, but if there were to be one, Sound is the one that makes the most sense to me. But it brings with it a nightmare of logistics and balance changes.
Sound travels faster in water, so wouldn't it make more sense for it to be super effective against the things that it travels faster through? Likewise, sound travels extremely fast in materials like iron and diamonds (thanks, Wikipedia), so making Sound supereffective against Water, Steel, and Rock would make sense logically (though rock obviously doesn't need another weakness). I'd make it supereffective against Water, Steel, and Electric, personally.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Development for Detective Pikachu started in 2013, don't be looking into it. Ryme City was very London-esque in the 3DS game, using London for filming is just sticking to the source material.

fleante

Oct 28, 2017
It is quite something to wake up to the anticipation of a new gen reveal. Let's go!

(Please no actual let's go tho)

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if they wanna go cyberpunky I would say Brazil would make for a interesting region. the uk makes sense though.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I wonder if stone-type could be introduced. Stone and rocks have always felt very distinct to me. Stones are smooth and roundish, like you might find in a river, whereas rocks are rough and often very jagged.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if stone-type could be introduced. Stone and rocks have always felt very distinct to me. Stones are smooth and roundish, like you might find in a river, whereas rocks are rough and often very jagged.
expect a pagmatic pov they are the same, it wouldnt make sense to give them difrent weaknesses.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
2 of the last 3 gens have been US locations. Lets make it 3 for 4!

JK, Australia would be my choice, with New Zealand being a nice cruise destination

They could bring back the interesting things we used to have, like the largest birds on earth before they went extinct like the Moa and Haast eagle. That shit was crazy.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
whats the one think people want in gen 8? call me old, but I want the old catching michanics back, I hate motion control outside vr, and the lets go games are no exeption.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
imagine if Stone was differentiated from Rock but every plant pokemon was still lumped into "Grass"

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
2 of the last 3 gens have been US locations. Lets make it 3 for 4!

JK, Australia would be my choice, with New Zealand being a nice cruise destination
I'm totally expecting a UK region, but I would love an Australia region (I wonder why). I'd love to see it happen eventually, since there are a lot of weird Pokemon ideas you can pull from our country; whether that's from our fauna, parts of our culture and the Aboriginal dreamtime stories.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit I can't believe when I wake up. we'll finally see a Pokemon game on a decent powered hardware.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
So are we all certain we're gonna see the Pokémon game? The "2019 core title"?

I see mentions of just a title screen, but with 7 minutes is that realistic?

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sound travels faster in water, so wouldn't it make more sense for it to be super effective against the things that it travels faster through? Likewise, sound travels extremely fast in materials like iron and diamonds (thanks, Wikipedia), so making Sound supereffective against Water, Steel, and Rock would make sense logically (though rock obviously doesn't need another weakness). I'd make it supereffective against Water, Steel, and Electric, personally.

These make a lot more sense actually :~~~

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So are we all certain we're gonna see the Pokémon game? The "2019 core title"?

I see mentions of just a title screen, but with 7 minutes is that realistic?
Yes.

Pokémon X & Y were revealed in an 11 minute Direct. 7 of those were a historical recap
Pokémon Sun & Moon were revealed in a 6 minute direct. Half of that was dedicated to the transfer of virtual console games to the new games
Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were revealed in an 8 minute long direct. 5 minutes of that was on Pokkén DX and 2 minutes on Gold & Silver on the Virtual Console

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

Pokémon X & Y were revealed in an 11 minute Direct. 7 of those were a historical recap
Pokémon Sun & Moon were revealed in a 6 minute direct. Half of that was dedicated to the transfer of virtual console games to the new games
Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were revealed in an 8 minute long direct. 5 minutes of that was on Pokkén DX and 2 minutes on Gold & Silver on the Virtual Console
so do you think its 6 minute recap+ 2 minute trailers, or 2 minute trailer+ 6 minutes of info?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yes.

I think this Direct will be the same, with just the last minute to reveal the titles. What I am interested in is: when will they start the promotion with the usual trailers? For Sun&Moon it was May, after a 2 month gap. But maybe this time they will release a trailer each month starting from March: the first one for starters, the second on characters, the third on a new gameplay feature etc.
For today I expect the titles, the release date and maybe the legendaries. Every other thing will be a nice surprise

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
so do you think its 6 minute recap+ 2 minute trailers, or 2 minute trailer+ 6 minutes of info?
Sounds about right. I wouldn't dismiss the notion of a spin-off being revealed too, but maybe that's me hoping. I like variety, but the last two Directs haven't just shown one game so who knows

Note: the above is not indicative of insider knowledge

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
This is so exciting. Pokemon is truly the final franchise I get excited over and it really makes me feel like a little kid again AHHH

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
Poke Rides confirmed for Gen 8.

BiodegradableElementaryKagu-max-1mb.gif
I screamed

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so exciting. Pokemon is truly the final franchise I get excited over and it really makes me feel like a little kid again AHHH
so long as expectations are in chick. while gamefrek is a 150 person studio, they are split in to atleast 2 teams. meaning each team ends up being a little over 50 people since not everyone in a studio is a developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.