• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
User warned: ‘lazy devs’ rhetoric
Totally

Also, the sneaking / tip-toeing from ORAS was a nice touch too.

I've never understood why they introduce all these little, but actually cool features, only to scrap them in the next installment.
Because game freak is lazy. Old but still true.
Only today can change things, hopefully, the series and the longtime supporters deserve that 🙏

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love a new Mistery Dungeon with a story of the same level as Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky. It's the game I replayed most times in my life and one of my favourite ever. It has a very good gameplay and a beautiful story.
I will admit to never playing them. always assumed they were simplfied dongen crawlers.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
hope you're all ready for the next pokémon adventure

pokémon mystery dungeon s

Pokémon is a rare series with pretty awesome spin offs... BRING IT

tumblr_o2i2seb3wi1s3uawvo1_400.gif

giphy.gif

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for this. I've accepted that barring extreme circumstances I'm never picking up my 3DS again, so bring on Pokémon Switch!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I will admit to never playing them. always assumed they were simplfied dongen crawlers.
If you will have in the future the chance, I suggest you to try one of these three (Sky is the definitive third edition, but also the other two are fine). They are, on my opinion, superior than the last Mistery Dungeon games (even though I liked the last one). And they aren't so easy, there are several challenging moments.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it about time we got a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game? When was the last one? 3+ years ago?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Yes.

Pokémon X & Y were revealed in an 11 minute Direct. 7 of those were a historical recap
Pokémon Sun & Moon were revealed in a 6 minute direct. Half of that was dedicated to the transfer of virtual console games to the new games
Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon were revealed in an 8 minute long direct. 5 minutes of that was on Pokkén DX and 2 minutes on Gold & Silver on the Virtual Console

So we get prev gen reel for 4 minutes
Let's Go DLC for 2 minutes
Gen eight for about a minute long teaser.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you will have in the future the chance, I suggest you to try one of these three (Sky is the definitive third edition, but also the other two are fine). They are, on my opinion, superior than the last Mistery Dungeon games (even though I liked the last one). And they aren't so easy, there are several challenging moments.
Isn't it about time we got a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game? When was the last one? 3+ years ago?
honest question what made those games unique? outside looking in, they looked like over simplified dongen crawlers with a pokemon skin?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prepare for disappointment. Gamefreak don't do "revolutionary"

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a new Mistery Dungeon with a story of the same level as Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky. It's the game I replayed most times in my life and one of my favourite ever. It has a very good gameplay and a beautiful story.
Agreed.

Full disclosure, it's the only game that's made me, uh, ugly cry. Several times. Per playthrough.

The story is kinda simple on paper but boy howdy does it get pretty dark for a Pokemon game and the pacing of the gameplay just masterfully balances out so you have just enough time for each plot twist to fully sink in before the next one comes up. It's kind of weird, I admittedly don't have the biggest library of games but I don't think I've seen anything else exploit the gameplay -> cutscene -> gameplay tempo like that.

Also that has to have been the longest postgame I've ever seen in a game, almost as long as the main plotline itself!

I think the one thing that could have possibly made it better would have been being able to make my -own- guild after a certain point. I think a Mystery Dungeon game on the level of Sky with all Gen 1-8 Pokemon and that option would easily rank as one of my favorite video game titles ever, and Sky already gets pretty close to that territory.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
honest question what made those games unique? outside looking in, they looked like over simplified dongen crawlers with a pokemon skin?

The dialogue is funny, the gameplay is solid, and the concept of pokemon as people is endearing.
They sometimes pose a challenge even in the early parts of the game which is also something different for this IP

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've skipped all of Gen 7 as S/M never pulled me in, but got all the Pokemon besides event ones anyway.

The question is: Do I fall for this one or wait for Let's Go 2? I can't balance 2 Pokemon Collections (3 if you count Go which I stopped also)

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
If they could reproduce the epicness we got with explorers of sky, time and darkness. i would love that

I really loved the last one, Super Mystery Dungeon or however it was called. I wouldn't mind having that on Switch as a port or something. With Switch graphics would be so much better.

Your description is accurate, and it's actually the answer to your initial question. Pokémon. That's what made them unique.

It's like when people ask why Pokémon Shuffle is any different than any other puzzle game. My answer is always Pokémon. Pokémon "skins", Pokémon themes, make everything better.

No, but for real, just being able to play as the Pokémon themselves, even if it's just for turn based battles, it's something that I appreciate a lot. The lack of trainers is so appealing to me. That's what I didn't like about Pokkén. The trainers don't add anything to the gameplay, it should've been just the Pokémon fighters on their own, with their own personality and story, just like Mystery Dungeon characters.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky for me, I have a huge math exam tomorrow that I am studying for (read: procrastinating by posting on Era) so I will be up by the time the direct airs anyway.

.... ;_;

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
One of the more recent spin-offs has spawned a hollywood movie and another is one of the better selling fighting games at present
GO was the biggest thing to happen to Pokemon since forever. I dont particularly care for it but evidently millions do. Mystery Dungeon games are million sellers too.

GO was the biggest thing to happen to Pokemon since forever. I dont particularly care for it but evidently millions do. Mystery Dungeon games are million sellers too.

I figured adding IMO would make it evident that I was talking about games I personally liked.

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
I really loved the last one, Super Mystery Dungeon or however it was called. I wouldn't mind having that on Switch as a port or something
I don't know. Don't think super would gain anything from that.
Mystery dungeon has been a handheld mainstay besides the wii eshop entry and they already reached their target audience.
And the point of the wii u ports is to let those entries get the limelight and achieve even higher numbers on a hip new system.
Super is 3 years old. Better develope something new.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Morning my dudes.
It's gonna be a beautiful day.

Final bet in starters is that they're gonna follow the Cool, Macho, and Feminine categories of the last 2 gens.

Grass - feminine rabbit
Fire - cool snake
Water - macho octopus

So hyped!

TrickyAssist

Banned
Nov 19, 2017

Nintendo Ninja's out for blood.

While this is entirely possible, I wouldn't take anything Stealth says as the word. I know for from people around him that he just hangs around the "right" people and "reports" on things while wording them in a way to make it sound like he knows stuff. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. He's not really worth paying attention to.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Maybe I'm misremembering, but the ones for Gen VI/VII were focused on just those games right?
Most of the 2017 Pokemon Direct was focused on Pokken DX, with Ultra Sun/Moon not getting much of a focus. The Gold and Silver Virtual Console releases were also revealed there too.

I'm sure this Direct will have more of a main-series focus, but don't be surprised if they open up with a spin-off or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.