• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I feel like the past week or two have really reinforced my opinion that raid passes should automatically be refunded for raids that are lost.
If I had to guess, of the raids I've lost:
50% or greater come from technical glitches causing players to be booted from the lobby and unable to get back in
25% or so come from having enough players, but inexperienced ones using Recommended Pokemon instead of actual good DPS Pokemon. There's no way to know in-game that you're using a bad team, so I don't really fault them. It's the games fault for telling them they should be using the wrong thing.
15% or so come from having enough players for certain raid boss move sets, but not others. This is really lame because you know you're going to lose as soon as you get into the lobby. There should really be a way to check this beforehand.
The remaining 10% are actually deserved losses. The above three are all things that should be ironed out, but they have yet to do so. It makes using raid passes way more of a gamble than they actually should be. It's not like it's fun to lose a raid either. There's no skill element to it, it's just spending five minutes tapping on a screen only to lose for what is likely a bullshit reason.

Anyways, after not finding any Shiny Latias the whole week, I got three yesterday. I also got a perfect level 30 Smeargle.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up with 2 shiny Latias before they left. I got a few Dialga earlier, best one was a 93%. Seems pretty good for taking out gyms so I powered him up to level 34, ran out of candy after that.

7 day reward is pretty meh, have 4 of each of the dogs and enough.... regis. Candy will come in handy though.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I feel like the past week or two have really reinforced my opinion that raid passes should automatically be refunded for raids that are lost.
50% or greater come from technical glitches causing players to be booted from the lobby and unable to get back in
25% or so come from having enough players, but inexperienced ones using Recommended Pokemon instead of actual good DPS Pokemon. There's no way to know in-game that you're using a bad team, so I don't really fault them. It's the games fault for telling them they should be using the wrong thing.
15% or so come from having enough players for certain raid boss move sets, but not others. This is really lame because you know you're going to lose as soon as you get into the lobby. There should really be a way to check this beforehand.
The remaining 10% are actually deserved losses. The above three are all things that should be ironed out, but they have yet to do so. It makes using raid passes way more of a gamble than they actually should be. It's not like it's fun to lose a raid either. There's no skill element to it, it's just spending five minutes tapping on a screen only to lose for what is likely a bullshit reason.

Anyways, after not finding any Shiny Latias the whole week, I got three yesterday. I also got a perfect level 30 Smeargle.
Niantic's in game support chat actually does basically automatically refund a lost raid pass (even a free one) after a day or so.

robox

Nov 10, 2017

i don't know what your sample size is (to get 3 shiny latias in one day means you're extremely lucky or did a metric ass ton of raids)
but i enjoy the current balance of the gamble. i had 2 recent raids where we were barely able to beat the raid boss, having failed once before succeeding. it made the raid actually feel intense and challenging. we had a mix of serious and casual players and challenged the boss based on expectations that we could beat it. figuring that out comes with experience and that's part of everything in life. it also gives you incentive to play more, grind more to conquer more.

the game has had a recommended number of players since the beginning, though it's very conservative. the game fosters social interaction and more powerful players should guide the less experienced players to a successful raid. if time permits though.
as an aside, in one of the above raids, we rejoined the lobby with a minute left before the boss goes. one girl was about to get her first palkia when.... she discovered her box was full. since the boss was already gone, she couldn't transfer then re-enter to catch it. THAT is a terrrrrrrible experience.

failing raids to due glitches though is a real problem though. and it's been much more frequent lately.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
i don't know what your sample size is (to get 3 shiny latias in one day means you're extremely lucky or did a metric ass ton of raids)
but i enjoy the current balance of the gamble. i had 2 recent raids where we were barely able to beat the raid boss, having failed once before succeeding. it made the raid actually feel intense and challenging. we had a mix of serious and casual players and challenged the boss based on expectations that we could beat it. figuring that out comes with experience and that's part of everything in life. it also gives you incentive to play more, grind more to conquer more.

the game has had a recommended number of players since the beginning, though it's very conservative. the game fosters social interaction and more powerful players should guide the less experienced players to a successful raid. if time permits though.
as an aside, in one of the above raids, we rejoined the lobby with a minute left before the boss goes. one girl was about to get her first palkia when.... she discovered her box was full. since the boss was already gone, she couldn't transfer then re-enter to catch it. THAT is a terrrrrrrible experience.

failing raids to due glitches though is a real problem though. and it's been much more frequent lately.

I've done about 300 of them. I understand that there can be challenges, but I just don't think the raid system's at all fun. It basically amounts to tapping on a screen for five minutes. Even when we just barely beat a raid boss, it doesn't feel like it was exciting. It feels relieving because you didn't just waste a bunch of time coordinating and doing the raid.

Basically, I don't do raids for the gameplay. I do it for the rewards and the social aspect when playing with friends.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Finally had some Yanma spawning, so managed to finish off Yanmega, so I have all the Sinnoh Stone evolutions for now.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about anyone else, but Dialga has been easily the toughest legendary to catch for me. It just constantly moves and attacks. I think only Kyogre the first time around was as tricky.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Don't know about anyone else, but Dialga has been easily the toughest legendary to catch for me. It just constantly moves and attacks. I think only Kyogre the first time around was as tricky.
Weird... Randomness is different for everyone, I guess. I'm 4 for 4 so far, but with Latias I was 1 for 8. Worst legendary luck. Someone else in the thread said it took them over 10 tries to catch Heatran a few months ago.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Weird... Randomness is different for everyone, I guess. I'm 4 for 4 so far, but with Latias I was 1 for 8. Worst legendary luck. Someone else in the thread said it took them over 10 tries to catch Heatran a few months ago.
Yeah, that's the reverse of my experience. Latias was nearly automatic for me. Now 2/5 on Dialga.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got an 80 Regirock from research, which is decent.

Got to the last stage of the Meltan quest, and it seems like the Omanyte/Kabuto nest that was by the docks in Liverpool has vanished. Brilliant...

Alexiell

Oct 25, 2017
Louisiana
5 Dialga raids, 5 Dialga's caught. And 4 of them are above 90% :O

Time to start conserving my premium passes if that Rayquaza leak is real. I need the black dragon.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Dialga feels really nice in PvP. Dragon Breath is my favorite fast move easily. If only he had Outrage or Dragon Claw. Would be OP as hell. Draco Meteor is the only thing holding it back.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did my 500th Legendary raid today. It's been a fun ride, my first legendary raids were in Chicago after the disaster that was Go Fest 2017.

With an overall catch rate of 77%, I haven't had one run on me in the last 55 raids which is when I started hitting best friends with people.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Girlfriend snagged a 98% Dialga from her first attempt, and found a random shiny Eevee today. I'm jealous of the former.

I just wish that Niantic would revamp the recommended selection because I'm still seeing people drop Aggrons into raid battles.
It's especially bad when you need a second team to beat a raid and don't have two custom ones set up or have time to go revive everything so you just go in with the recommended team.
Yes and yes. This stuff is incredibly dumb. The game is actively hurting misleading players and reducing their chances of success. It's absurd.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Are they still sometimes doing events where you get double candy for sending mons to the professor? Box is getting full and I don't know if it's worth to hold back on sending rare ones...

Last edited:

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Saturday April 6th - Itou-en Pokemon Go Special Weekend
https://i.pokego-vdcp.jp/pc/
Available now in some areas but officially starting on Monday, if you buy 3 specific, specially marked drinks at an Itou-en vending machine that is either a Pokestop or Pokegym, you'll get some tabs with a code to enter in a website giving you later access to the event.
Apparently the above website will list out all participating locations on Monday. Apparently popular places like in Akihabara have been completely cleaned out already. Hopefully they keep stocking the machines throughout March.

I looked on the website and it has a map that shows all participating vending machines. And! there was actually an Itou-en Vending Machine in town hidden on the second floor in a public bath. I bought my 3 drinks, each with a code, entered those in the website, and I have my serial code for the April 6th weekend. Good to go for Unowns T, Y, N, I + Chikorita and Totodile. I should probably get another serial code for my second account.

Next I gotta figure out the Seven Eleven app for the Sunday event.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Same here, except with Nidoran, as I just got my second this morning. I need one more of either that one or Caterpie and I'll have completed my first 3 stage shiny evo family, outside of Community Day stuff.
I feel like Caterpie and Nidoran are pretty common lately, even after the Kanto event (also Grimer too).

Kanto Geodude has been pretty rare for me to see ever since Alolan Geodude came out.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Got a 98% weatherboosted Dialga today, so that was nice. I got a 10/10/10 yesterday so now I got both ends of the spectrum.

Not that interested in ex raids to begin with, but the last two passes I got were both at impossible hours: 1 PM on a wednesday. These are hours where I'd figure most people are either at work or in school. I don't know what determines the timing of these raids, but they should be in the evenings or on weekends. The first invite I got was one in the weekend and I hoped that'd always be the case. Now I don't care since it's Deoxys, but if it was Mewtwo or another exciting one I'd be bummed out.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Got a 98% weatherboosted Dialga today, so that was nice. I got a 10/10/10 yesterday so now I got both ends of the spectrum.

Not that interested in ex raids to begin with, but the last two passes I got were both at impossible hours: 1 PM on a wednesday. These are hours where I'd figure most people are either at work or in school. I don't know what determines the timing of these raids, but they should be in the evenings or on weekends. The first invite I got was one in the weekend and I hoped that'd always be the case. Now I don't care since it's Deoxys, but if it was Mewtwo or another exciting one I'd be bummed out.

The only reason I have a Mewtwo or Deoxys is because of working part-time; my girlfriend only has a Deoxys because I took her phone on a day she worked but I didn't. The 3rd pass I had was last December, and even with part-time work I couldn't make it because it was during one of my shifts.

The EX system is ludicrous.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

This isn't globally true. I actually prefer the noon-1pm time range; it lets me use my lunch break from work to pursue it rather than having to leave work early (raids end for the day well before I usually leave the office), and I don't live where I work so it would force me to go out of my way to make me do my work commute on a weekend. All my raiding is done near the office in lunch hours.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy

Everyone's schedule is different though. For me, the day time during the week is most convenient since I can just pop out of work for 15-20 mins.

I think the way Niantic does it with a mix of day and evening/weekend EX raids makes the most sense. Eventually you (or one of your Ultra friends) will get invited to one that works for your schedule.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the raid schedule is great for me, I'm done with work at 1:00. I did 18 Mewtwo EX raids, 9 Deoxys so far, with one tomorrow and another next week.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
EX times are supposedly an average or something of the most popular raid time for that gym.

There was a 6am ex raid in the city before.

Blame early morning raiders and spoofers basically.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I got 2 shiny murkow in 2 days, and I actually played a lot less as there is no event going on.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This isn't globally true. I actually prefer the noon-1pm time range; it lets me use my lunch break from work to pursue it rather than having to leave work early (raids end for the day well before I usually leave the office), and I don't live where I work so it would force me to go out of my way to make me do my work commute on a weekend. All my raiding is done near the office in lunch hours.

I actually mostly play the game during lunch breaks as well, but I've gotten the 13 - 13.45 time slot twice now and that's where it gets harder. I can't really afford to come in at 13.30, from noon onwards would be perfect. But overall I'm not a fan of the EX system.

Murkrow is actually one of my most desired shinies, just love that color combo. I'd love to get 2 to make a complete set. I haven't run into any wild shinies since the Clamperl event, but I've been playing less too.

Playing this game and walking a lot made me see an orthopedist. I used to wear inlays but got rid of them years ago. Now I couldn't ignore the pain anymore and had to get a prescription for orthotics. When I start to walk long distances it can do a number on my hip/feet and I'd rather start walking straight again.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
8 more candies for shieldon and then I've evolved them all. Except snorunt gen4, but I really have no way of getting that because it's like a 1 in 400 chance for any snorunt, or 1 in 800 for the right gender from eggs. Guess I'll wait until next winter minutes after they release gen5 and do a gen4 fest. I've already accepted the fact I'll just get enteis for weeklies.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've wondered about this for a while but what is the deal with the Safari stuff? Why does it only seem to happen in Europe and Asia and only in specific locations?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Deoxys captured, and Shieldon evolved. I'm now caught up with all but Froslass because I don't have a female Snorunt. So maybe over the next few months I'll hatch one or there will be a field task, but otherwise I'm just assuming I need to wait until the inevitable Snow event in November/December 2019 minutes after they "release" Gen5.

Getting to Deoxys was a bit of a challenge. I really never go to downtown Austin during workdays. Every parking garage I knew of was full, so I drove around and street parked like 10 blocks away.

Any rumors on the when the next batch of mons are unlocked? Is there any missing outside of legendaries in gen4?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.