• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Lets look at the positives:

• Pokemon follow you again
  • You can ride your Pokemon
  • You don't have to keep battling a bunch of Caterpie and Weedle to get that Pikachu because its now in the open
  • We can once again Catch 'em all with it only being 151
  • Colourful and not washed out like the 3DS games
  • NO MORE FUCKING ZUBATS EVERY STEP!!!!
Battling wise it is a step down but it doesn't look too bad. Did I also mention NO MORE FUCKING ZUBATS!!!

Also, no more HM moves is a strong positive.

Idk how that 151 thing is a positive though. There's only one new Pokemon in this game, which is really sad. I mean it's fine, it's just a remake and there's a game next year with new Pokemon, but it would have been nice if the Pokemon debut on Switch would have had new Pokemon.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This thread really shows how forum users tend to skew older. Pokémon has never aged with its fans, and the series is all the better for it. You can't stay relevant by targeting 30 year old competitive players. It's a game for kids.

If you're looking for a children's series that has aged with its fans, I recommend Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. The most recent game had crazy mass murder sideplots and shit.
Wut?
https://kotaku.com/the-11-year-old-who-s-dominating-competitive-pokemon-1800013261

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Civil War: Pokemon edition. I feel like this a big turning point in gaming, I'll be grabbing the Eevee edition I'm excited to play pokemon in a new way but never picked up Go because it was TOO casual. Maybe they'll remove all the casual elements of mainline games and the cutscenes every 100 steps since we have this now. :P

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, did the show explain why you can't catch fainted Pokemon?
No, they just catch em fainted there. Lobbing balls at Pokemon and it not fighting back or running away is also stupid, I don't know why this is your vector of grievance.

The game isn't a simulation of what it is to live in the Pokemon world.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
If this one is heading toward a more 'GO' route and doesn't have random battles..
  • Will evolution be handled via candles as opposed to traditional levels?
  • Will traditional levels be replaced with CP?
Main q's in my head.
No and no. It's a traditional Pokemon game and the only Go mechanics are how you catch Pokemon, which will also be different than how it is in Pokemon GO it's just inspired by it.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is this appealing to? This looks absolutely awful.

Who am I kidding though, it'll sell 10 million by the end of the year somehow.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It looks great. As it has been said many times, its interaction with Pokemon Go could really help bring a new audience to the Switch: people who only plays games on smartphones and has never played games with a traditional controller and/or whitout free-to-play mechanics. If Pokémon core games can be considered a gateway drug to JRPGs or "my first RPG", Pokémon Go is clearly a gateway drug to Pokémon (it's known that sales for 3ds and Pokémon games increased visibly during the GO craze). Similar strategy to what Nintendo is doing with its games for mobile (Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes) and Classic console line: increase awareness/visibility of its IP, capture the interest of lapsed gamers via nostalgia, and somehow convince a part of this new/lapsed audience to buy a Switch or 3ds.
Which for me is great news, because I know many people (kids and adults) who think video games are only free-to-play gambling toxic stuff, and that nothing of interest exists outside that bubble. To all of them, Greatness Awaits ;)

TL;DR: Next year, your grandmother wil be playing Shin Megami Tensei V. Gotta thank Pokemon Go for that. It's the DS all over again.
My wife doesn't really play games but she 100% wants this. I might have to buy a second Switch. If this gets her into Octopath Traveller and SMTV, I will forever be thankful to Gamefreak and Nintendo.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I like holding it in one hand like a TV remote. It keeps my other hand free for maximum productivity, which is crucial to my fast-paced lifestyle. I've been wanting Hulu to implement single Joycon control in their app since the day they launched it.

I see.. Well I have to say this is growing on me.

I personally like to have seeing the pokemon ( and not the random battles) Dragon Quest style in the overworld.
but although I don't even mind the motion throwing the ball , surely it would have been the best option to COMBINE the motion throwing with battling weak Pokemon AND seeing the Pokemon in the overworld?

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My assumption is it's a stat that is relevant when transferring to Pokémon Go and has no real relevancy in this game.
CP is featured pretty prominently in the UI in this screen, so it's likely going to be very relevant in some capacity:

JbblT.png

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
That's what I want to know, because fuck it if I have to throw a bunch of ultra balls at this thing still, but don't have the pleasure of battling it.

My bet that, as in GO, you will need to battle him before catching him. In Pokemon Go, you have Raids with legendary, pseudo-legendary and other strong/rare Pokemon. You team up with more people, and take the Pokemon down with your team. After said battle, you can catch the Raid Pokemon (or try, that Fucking Lugia escaped every single ball I threw at him)

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I don't think I can honestly say what I are my thoughts about Gamefreak without getting a warning (or a ban).

I liked the game's proposal, and even their comercial goals with the Let's Go series. But man, I can't stress enough how...

*ahem*
I hope the next mainline installment will look better than that

One does not simply come for GameFreak.
Now I'm curious tho..

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
For people asking how catching legendaries will be any different from catchin normal wild Pokémon, in Pokémon Go you generally have to defeat one in a raid battle before you get a chance to catch it. It's likely that you'll have a battle against them like in normal Pokémon games, but instead of weakening them you just defeat them first.

Edit: shit this thread moves fast

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Also, no more HM moves is a strong positive.

Idk how that 151 thing is a positive though. There's only one new Pokemon in this game, which is really sad. I mean it's fine, it's just a remake and there's a game next year with new Pokemon, but it would have been nice if the Pokemon debut on Switch would have had new Pokemon.

Forgot about HM's, hah another positive.

As for the 151 I mean its more manageable. Catching 151 is a lot easier than 800+. I agree though It would be nice to have the newer pokemon but of all the changes this is the least annoying for me anyway.

Clix

Banned
So did this happen or are you just stooping to accusing randos of bullying and extorting money from your child so that you can make an emotive appeal completely unrelated to anything in this thread.

Edit: FWIW I believe Pokemon is for kids and I think games that target younger audiences are great. I don't believe this game is for me at all, nor does it need to be. But that comment was something.

Well some of the comments and behavior being displayed here is just embarrassing. It's a game being released to appeal to younger kids who were introduced to Pokemon through Go, like my daughter, and people who grew up with Pokemon and have not played the games since and have fond memories of those games and were brought in through Pokemon Go. The messaging for this game and who it is being aimed at was quite clear. If it's not your cup of tea, wait until the 2019 next gen core game.

Yeah, of course it is related because there have been some really god damn embarrassing comments.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
all i would say is that a soon as those town musics start to play and we see real gameplay..some peoples opinions are going to change and get over it

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It will be fun to see the reactions when this game breaks sales records of every mainline game except for maybe, the originals.

I love the regular core series but the changes they've made here will make it way more accessible for most people.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
CP is featured pretty prominently in the UI in this screen, so it's likely going to be very relevant:

JbblT.png
My assumption is it'll be as relevant as the Go integration is, only relevant if you WANT it to be. Since Pokemon you catch here can be transferred to Go, it's important to show the stat for it when catching it.

Does it show CP of Pokémon when battling trainers? Becaue from what I saw in the trailer it doesn't, which gives me the idea thy CP is only presented for when you Pokémon goes to Pokémon Go becaue that's how it tracks it's level in THAT game. So since you can transfer back and forth, it's important to show it's level (for Let's Go) and it's CP (for when you transfer it).

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This thread really shows how forum users tend to skew older. Pokémon has never aged with its fans, and the series is all the better for it. You can't stay relevant by targeting 30 year old competitive players. It's a game for kids.

If you're looking for a children's series that has aged with its fans, I recommend Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. The most recent game had crazy mass murder sideplots and shit.
As someone who played Red/Blue/Yellow as a kid then never touched the games again because they never changed I am very excited to get into this. It looks really nice and the potential for focusing on catching pokemon in a proper RPG has me way more interested than just more turn-based battling with minor mechanical additions.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Spin-off game is the best way to look at it, in a lot of ways it doesn't resemble a "true" GameFreak Pokemon Game.
The question is: what do we get back for losing things like the national dex, no wild encounters etc.

I feel like they mostly showed us what we don't get at this point, hopefully E3 will show us more.
GF said this isnt a spin-off.

Or they'll lying.
Or removing half of the bsttles and most of the Pokémon is the innovation of this new main game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
No and no. It's a traditional Pokemon game and the only Go mechanics are how you catch Pokemon, which will also be different than how it is in Pokemon GO it's just inspired by it.
Great to hear it - thank you! I'm a little eh on the loss of random battles for the following points:
  • Losing that initial "is this the pokemon I'm after" tension while the battle into is playing
  • Assumed reduction in battles with your pokemon (from random + trainer to just trainer)
  • The tension in whittling down a pokemon you want to catch without it fainting
More than happy to wait for more details to come though on what could replace the above.

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
My bet that, as in GO, you will need to battle him before catching him. In Pokemon Go, you have Raids with legendary, pseudo-legendary and other strong/rare Pokemon. You team up with more people, and take the Pokemon down with your team. After said battle, you can catch the Raid Pokemon (or try, that Fucking Lugia escaped every single ball I threw at him)
Battle as in Pokemon Battle?

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Pokemon really needed waggle and one of my favorite parts of the game removed, how fucking fresh.
Anytime you change an old series you are changing someone's "favorite part".
20 something games with same/similar mechanics is enough. Calling it "waggle" in 2018 also feels ridiculous. Super Mario Galaxy had waggle. BotW has waggle. One aspect of a game including motion/touch based input is hardly anything to complain about especially after PGO has proven how much better it is than just pressing a button. If you don't like it, play US/UM or any of the many past games until the next "main" title in 2019.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
While I'm not loving random battles being removed, I get it. This game is for a certain audience. Y'all are getting your more traditional Pokemon game in 2019. This game is just a bonus. It looks fun to me, something to hold us over until the core game releases.

Oct 26, 2017
If this one is heading toward a more 'GO' route and doesn't have random battles..
  • Will evolution be handled via candles as opposed to traditional levels?
  • Will traditional levels be replaced with CP?
Main q's in my head.

Shots from the trailer confirm that both levels and CP seem to exist.
There also appear to be classic exp bars in trainer battles.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok. Is there no XP then?

There are levels, and also a separate stat called CP. Since there are levels we can definitely assume there is XP, but it's unclear how exactly levels and CP work.

My theory is that CP is basically an all-in-one replacement stat for IVs/EVs which are still present, but they're sorta averaged or something and presented as CP for simplification. That's not exactly how it works in GO but there are also no Pokemon levels in GO, so this is clearly a different training/leveling system.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot about HM's, hah another positive.

As for the 151 I mean its more manageable. Catching 151 is a lot easier than 800+. I agree though It would be nice to have the newer pokemon but of all the changes this is the least annoying for me anyway.

No one is expecting you to catch 800+ Pokemon. I think the amount of people who actually catches every single Pokemon is in a very, very, very tiny minority. New Pokemon is never a bad thing. More variety, more surprises. It's more fun when you encounter Pokemon you've never seen before imo. This is the biggest deal breaker for me personally. I like new content, not re-playing old content.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
the Go stuff went a step further than I was expecting. I anticipated standard wild battles (whether or not they are random encounters, I don't really care) with an OPTIONAL ability to use motion controls to toss the ball. This is much more simplified than I expected or wanted but to be honest I really don't care. I'm really looking forward to playing this. And I STILL can't decide which version to get.