• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid and played Blue I never really figured out the game mechanics. I played the whole game only using Charizard and my other Pokémon I used only for VMs.
When a friend of mine and me played Yellow it took us 2 days to beat Brock because we didn't know we could use fighting type attacks to beat him.
Many people here really over-estimate the knowledge of 6-8 yrs olds.
Also I'm sure almost all of us would have had a grass type Pokémon caught by the time we would have entered that gym so what's the deal complaining about it?

Because it's treating you like a moron. Why not just have him say "grass and water would be most effective hear" instead of road blocking you?

I just find it really freaking difficult to believe that this is a big enough issue for people when so many people were perfectly capable of figuring this out as children.

Their are charts in the manual that explain it, NPC's who explain it, one game had a puzzle that gave you the details, the anime made a freaking song about it!

It just seems really unnecessary. I get this game isn't for me(despite the developers claiming they want this to be for everyone) but this is just weird to me.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's treating you like a moron. Why not just have him say "grass and water would be most effective hear" instead of road blocking you?

I just find it really freaking difficult to believe that this is a big enough issue for people when so many people were perfectly capable of figuring this out as children.

Their are charts in the manual that explain it, NPC's who explain it, one game had a puzzle that gave you the details, the anime made a freaking song about it!

It just seems really unnecessary. I get this game isn't for me(despite the developers claiming they want this to be for everyone) but this is just weird to me.

Tbh, I just can't belueve that being forced to use a specific Pokemon type for one battle is such a big issue for you. It will help some people, and impede no one.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I just can't belueve that being forced to use a specific Pokemon type for one battle is such a big issue for you. It will help some people, and impede no one.
It's not a big issue I just think it's silly.

Your not given a choice. As a stupid seven year old I was perfectly capable of realizing that my Charmander wasn't doing shit to rock Pokémon. Better go find something that can.

I almost never complain about Nintendo 's casual mechanics but this feels less like an option for those having a hard time and more like them not trusting the player to figure something out.

I'm not going to dwell on this as I never had any intention on picking up this game in the first place and I don't want it to seem that I'm just trying to shit up the thread.

But stuff like this is just bizarre IMO and didn't improve my already soured opinion on the game.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I like the potential QoL improvements coming with Let's Go. Boxing anywhere, candied to raise stats, and encounters happen if only I want them to...although I did read that random battles still happen but I don't remember where I saw it. Is that true? It would be nice if some of this stuff carried over to Pokemon 2019

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I think I like the potential QoL improvements coming with Let's Go. Boxing anywhere, candied to raise stats, and encounters happen if only I want them to...although I did read that random battles still happen but I don't remember where I saw it. Is that true? It would be nice if some of this stuff carried over to Pokemon 2019
I'm not entirely sure but it seemed to me that at one point in the demo the PC got an ecounter by just walking in tall grass without tuching any pkmn.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't think random battles with wild Pokémon are in the game.

I really like the Pokémon on the map. I really got tired of random encounters over the years and struggeling with rng. I really hope this will be taken over in Gen 8

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, while I don't agree with Serebii here, this doesn't seem right either. Because under this logic, like, yeah, theoretically that's true, but in practice Viridian Forest seemed rather crowded from the Treehouse demo and rather difficult to actually avoid each and every Pokémon, because of just how many of the things there were and how relatively narrow the Forest paths still are, making actually just walking past everything pretty much a non-option. Like, I remember one part of the demo where like the hosts were clearly trying to move on to a trainer battle or something, but kept getting into encounters anyway because it was hard to avoid them all.

So if it's the "forcedness" that bugs people, that still seems to be the case, at least in particular locations (I believe they also said that Viridian Forest in particular did have a high encounter rate and that other areas won't be as crowded, but we'll see what happens there).

That and if that's what what we're talking about here, previous Pokémon games have always had repels to fix this problem whereas in this game, because random encounters aren't a thing anymore, I have to wonder if Repels are still in the game at all. I certainly hope so, particularly if there are other areas that end up having similar Pokémon density as Viridian Forest, but we'll have to see what happens I guess.
That's not a problem with no random encounters, that's a level design problem. This design was never meant to have so many moving actors on screen

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Is there a rundown on the differences between versions?

Also what significance the starters have? And why would anyone choose eevee if it cant evolve?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it seems like the starter Pikachu has massively buffed stats, so I imagine the starter Eevee will too. It's probably so you don't ditch them lol
GF will probably come up with some excuse as to why you can't transfer them forward.

"Since they dont want to be put into a pokeball, they can't be transferred to the Bank"

Jun 5, 2018
One thing worth mentioning it seems you only need to show a grass or water type Pokemon to progress you can box it once you've shown it and shouldn't need it for the actual battle.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Well check it yourself here:

There's no noticeable slowdown

If there's one thing that's for sure, it's that gen 1 does have one of the greatest trainer battle themes. Hearing it with a good orchestration like the anime in that clip was glorious. Needs electric guitars in there though.

I'm frustrated that they changed the wild pokemon battle theme though. It's a lot more boring than it used to be. It's fine to change things around, but there was a lot of unnecessary repetition in the melody that comes off as a little bland.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I'm frustrated that they changed the wild pokemon battle theme though. It's a lot more boring than it used to be. It's fine to change things around, but there was a lot of unnecessary repetition in the melody that comes off as a little bland.

I'm assuming it was changed because you no longer battle them, and you're likely to catch them relatively quickly. Guess it makes sense to go with something shorter and more repetitive than go with the original where you'd be unlikely to hear the whole thing.

But I do agree. I don't mind it but I would prefer something more like the original.

EDIT: That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it's still used somewhere, probably against Mewtwo.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We have unlimited Pokeballs, right? They can't expect us to use catching Pokemon to grind if we aren't given free Pokeballs on a consistent basis, right?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Of course it is. Gamefreak could make Pokemon Lets Go the Defacto main branch of games and ruin the series forever, but they still will have a banging soundtrack. Its the one consistently good thing the games still have going for em. Well, if you ignore gen 6 that is, but still Gen 7 was return to form.
See, my tastes are weird in that I actually liked a lot of Gen 6's music, but Gen 7's soundtrack didn't really do much for me.

I should clarify, I wasn't expecting Let's Go's music to be bad, but the arrangements were definitely high above my expectations.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
See, my tastes are weird in that I actually liked a lot of Gen 6's music, but Gen 7's soundtrack didn't really do much for me.
I can get why people like Gen 6s music, don't get me wrong. Its just that without Ichinose and his signature musical style and soundfront, it ain't winning any points for me and sounds like a generic JRPG soundtrack. And tbh, Gen 7 is not the greatest in the series either, just that with Ichinose what might sound horrible without his style is somewhat saved with it. If that makes sense. Stuff like Hau's battle theme or the wild battle thing done in the style of gen 6 would nail on a blackboard horrible if they didn't go back to the series' classical music.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming it was changed because you no longer battle them, and you're likely to catch them relatively quickly. Guess it makes sense to go with something shorter and more repetitive than go with the original where you'd be unlikely to hear the whole thing.

But I do agree. I don't mind it but I would prefer something more like the original.

EDIT: That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it's still used somewhere, probably against Mewtwo.

Right. I was thinking their reasoning was probably along the lines of, "well wild battles aren't a thing anymore, therefore the theme should be different."

Which is fine. It just seems like lately Pokemon battle music hasn't had the same intensity as it used to. It's a lot more jovial and I think the change in this wild battle theme reflects that. It's very well written, don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the music in the latest games, but I do just miss that ferocity that existed in the early themes. It was just something in the melodies and the way they were harmonized with the chord progressions they were using. The newer styling of wild Pokemon battle and trainer battle music really mirrors the change in how Game Freak started to portray the rivals. Everything a bit less aggressive (not that it was incredibly aggressive to begin with!) and more, "yay! Friendship!" Which has its own merit. But I just wish the main battle theme styling hadn't changed as well. I just feel like some of that new style found its way in to the wild pokemon encounter theme for these Let's Go games.

At least the rest of what I heard sounds great! I mean, those gen 1 music themes always sounded so fantastic orchestrated. When they would play in the anime it always felt massive. Those tunes are just extremely well written. It actually makes me curious as to who was the main composer during that time period and if the leadership has since changed to someone else.

And I agree, they'll probably save the traditional theme for legendaries or something.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
We have unlimited Pokeballs, right? They can't expect us to use catching Pokemon to grind if we aren't given free Pokeballs on a consistent basis, right?

Nope, this is my main concern.

The issue is when you run out of balls and money - traditionally, in a Pokemon game, if you were "stuck" beating a trainer/gym leader/etc, you could just go grind your party on wild Pokemon for a bit and get higher levels. With Lets Go, the only way to get experience for your Pokemon is by catching more wild ones and trainer battles. Here's where the issue is.

What happens when you run out of balls? You go buy more in order to get your Pokemon's experience up, effectively just "buying" experience. But what happens when you run out of money?

You remove literally the only source of training your Pokemon. Admittedly, this game holds your hand so freaking hard that the levels sound like they'll always be vastly under you, but it's still a very concerning issue.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can get why people like Gen 6s music, don't get me wrong. Its just that without Ichinose and his signature musical style and soundfront, it ain't winning any points for me and sounds like a generic JRPG soundtrack. And tbh, Gen 7 is not the greatest in the series either, just that with Ichinose what might sound horrible without his style is somewhat saved with it. If that makes sense. Stuff like Hau's battle theme or the wild battle thing done in the style of gen 6 would nail on a blackboard horrible if they didn't go back to the series' classical music.

Well, i personally don't get why people don't like Gen VI music (or Gen VI for that matter)

It's a pretty good ost, with themes like the friends battle, Champion battle or Laverre theme to name more than two. It's different, but it's in no way bad

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm pretty sure they'll give us mire than enough balls. I'm definitely not worried about that at all.
I hope we don't have to grind exp by catching Pokémon in the end-game and that there will be possibilities to fight unlimited of trainers to gain exp (but Elite 4 at least should be given for that I hope)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon should have their TV show cries it this that would make it super special
gif-glitter-how-about-no-overlay-Favim.com-2079240.gif

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I still have questions. Like since there are no random encounters then can we battle trainers multiple times or just once like always? Then if it is the latter then what happens after you beat the elite 4, will running them back be the only battles left in the game? Grinding by catching pokemon sounds lame.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the first time I'm buying a Pokemon game for the spectacle - the lighting engine looks really nice, and the Pokemon models look far more vivid than on the 3DS.

I can only hope the rest of the Pokemon are unlocked post-game.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that we still have all these questions that we can think of yet nobody that covers games thought to ask these questions. Also none of the games media were critical of this game in anyway yet a bunch of people on here were able to see the game a say hold up and question things.

I'm slowly but sure losing respect for those that cover games more and more and this E3 highlighted it in many different ways.