• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
This looks perfect, love the graphics, love the casuals features, people are gonna love it too it's gonna be a huge hit and this Pokémon joycon ? I've been waiting for a new Switch controller for so long (I collect all the official ones), I cant wait to have it.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
This is not the Pokemon Switch that I was hoping for and that would've made me get the Switch this year no matter what. :(

It was probably dumb of me, but I thought maybe we'd finally get the grand 3D open world Pokemon that I have been dreaming of for so many years. This looks like the 3DS games in HD, but even more restricted, and with additional features that I just do not care about at all.
There's always next year, hopefully. That's when the real Gen 8 game is coming out. I have to agree though, this game being the console debut for the mainline Pokemon series is discouraging.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
And that's exactly my problem, they trying ideas to casualise even more the games (hell, they're replacing half of the battles with a motion control gesture).
And seeing if people can still buy a full priced pokemon game with less content than the ones that costed 40 USD.

The games are far less casual now than they were in generation 1, don't mistake user-friendliness with casualness. It was blindingly obvious that Game Freak would not have had the resources to make a HD gen 8 Pokemon game any time soon, and this is a wonderful compromise for the mean-time.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Thank god they're doing something to revitalise the franchise. Looks fun, new, and interesting. Everything that, for me, X/Y and Sun/Moon weren't.

Seriously though, kids are going to buy this shit like crazy, so y'all can stamp your feet all you like.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
There are Exp bara in the screenshots...

God, the pesimistic speculation is strong in this thread. So much salt. I'm leaving this threads.
Can you please show me these screens ? I'm looking for "growth system" details. Thanks : P.

I really like the look of these.

Like c'mon, no one fought random Pokemon anyway outside of grinding, you just ran from every encounter and only battled trainers. So putting Pokemon into the overworld and letting you pick out the ones you actually want to catch is a great idea.

Plus, the Go catching mechanics are so much more engaging than the RPGs have ever been so bringing that across is fantastic.
100% agreeing with you.
And coop !!!
Again, if done well, it could actually be much better than the usual games.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to wait for something more concrete on gameplay. First glance this doesn't look all that interesting to me, just Pokemon with a bunch of features + content cut out and some mobile fluff in their place. I'll probably wait for the mainline game unless there's more to this one.

fleante

Oct 28, 2017
I have to stop reading this thread, all the hot takes are giving me a stroke.

Like, if you don't like what you see, don't buy them. Shitting on people that do find the games interesting by spouting nonsense about genwunners and how it's just a Pokemon Go port is so fucking dumb.

It's a stop gap game, for people that played Go but never played a mainline game before. It's not for you, so stop with the toxic shit throwing and just wait for next year to get what you actually want.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
And that's exactly my problem, they're trying ideas to casualise even more the games (hell, they're replacing half of the battles with a motion control gesture).
And seeing if people can still buy a full priced pokemon game with less content than the ones that costed 40 USD.

This. Among all things, it's an experiment to see how much they can stretch charging the most money for the lowest amount of content.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what would make these games absolutely amazing, but there's no way would ever actually happen, ever, in a billion years? If they gave you access to and let you use all the Mega Stones from the very start of the game.

Because y'know what would happen then? Y'know what you could do? Catch a Weedle in Viridian Forest, evolve it into Beedrill real quick, and then use Mega Beedrill strats for the game.

And yeah, I know even Mega Beedrill ain't exactly the best matchup for Brock (assuming that much hasn't changed and we still fight him as the first gym leader). I'd do it anyway, because Mega Beedrill! Mega Beedrill! Would be worth it just for the hell of it/to mix it up/for the memes.

But instead, it's an open question whether Mega Evolution will even be in this game. And even if it is, no way it won't be until later at the game at best. And this makes me sad, thinking about what could be instead. Alas... :(

EDIT: And to be clear, in case this isn't obvious and before anyone takes me the wrong way, I'm mostly being silly here. But it definitely would be cool to use stuff like Mega Beedrill/Mega Pidgeot and the like from relatively early on, right, if only we were able to? I'm not alone in that, right? Please tell me I'm not the only person that would get a kick out of that.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck no, you don't. The game has optional Go integration.

Jesus, this thread is getting dumber by the minute.
Can you get Alolan forms in game?
Or if I want a dark type on my team I need Pokemon go?

It definetly sounds that you'll need go to import those pokemon or get them from someone who can import them.

Deleted member 21693

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wondering what the significance of this is
Zero? It's the competitive Pokémon community. Why would they care about this game at all if it's not even featuring all the Pokémon or ranked online battles.

TPC knows this and that's why they've announced the next game for 2019 already.

What it boils down to in the end what your definition of a spin-off is. This is defintely way closer to the main series than Pokémon Snap or something.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
Disclaimer: I'm not a hard core pokefan. But this looks pretty good for me.

I haven't read the 77 pages so apologies if already covered, but can someone please explain why it's generally perceived as bad on Era? What's not good about it? I think my kids will love it.

Yep, same here. My kid will love this and would probably beg me to play co-op every day.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Like most people I have read on competitive Pokemon communities, the person in charge of the Smogon facebook it's not pleased and think its just a spin-off.
Like OWL ruining OW, smogon to me takes the fun out of pokemon. Min maxing your Pokémon was something I had fun with but it's jsut tedious now.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really hope we are not forced to use the motion controlls to catch Pokemon.
I also don't like that it only Gen 1
Other than that it looks cool. Could be fun.

And possible Gen 8 next year so I got nothing to complain really. Gonna buy it day-1 anyways.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Y'know what would make these games absolutely amazing, but there's no way would ever actually happen, ever, in a billion years? If they gave you access to and let you use all the Mega Stones from the very start of the game.

Because y'know what would happen then? Y'know what you could do? Catch a Weedle in Viridian Forest, evolve it into Beedrill real quick, and then use Mega Beedrill strats for the game.

And yeah, I know even Mega Beedrill ain't exactly the best matchup for Brock (assuming that much hasn't changed and we still fight him as the first gym leader). I'd do it anyway, because Mega Beedrill! Mega Beedrill! Would be worth it just for the hell of it/to mix it up/for the memes.

But instead, it's an open question whether Mega Evolution will even be in this game. And even if it is, no way it won't be until later at the game at best. And this makes me sad, thinking about what could be instead. Alas... :(

I think it's pretty clear that all conventional mechanics introduced in the past two (?) gens are not in the game.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Pokemon Go players are already used to them so why not put them in these games?
What about : "Because it's not Pokemon Go and it's not aimed ONLY at people playing Pokemon GO.
Not to mention it's a game you pay for, not a free to play.

This. Among all things, it's an experiment to see how much they can stretch charging the most money for the lowest amount of content.
Lol, tell us about it.
You seem to know a lot about the content of this game.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Like, if you don't like what you see, don't buy them. Shitting on people that do find the games interesting by spouting nonsense about genwunners and how it's just a Pokemon Go port is so fucking dumb.
I'm seeing more toxicity towards people who express their disappointment in these games, honestly. If someone dares mention they're upset that the game caters to casual fans or people who only like Gen 1 they get dog piled.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
1. Anyone know if there'll be mega evolutions?
2. Anyone reckon the special new Pokemon will be Mewthree?

Or maybe a Pikachu third evolution?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
First and foremost - they made a physical Pokeball with an Analog stick where the button is. That's almost ingenious!

Seems like Nintendo did the smart thing. They are trying hard to break the Switch to the casual crowd without losing the core gamers.
By announcing this game that is playing into the Pokemon Go crowd and simultaneously announcing that a core Pokemon game will release later in 2019, they easily relax the core Pokemon gamers that would have been up the fence otherwise.
It's very similar to the Metroid 3DS announcement or the Pokemon US/UM announcement last year.

Looks like it's halfway between 3DS and Switch tech wise. It looks nice and clean, but it's obviously lacking in certain areas.
The motion push looks somewhat okay - I would prefer to still battle Pokemon in the wild but be able to see them, but whatever. I'll probably have that next year.
I would also prefer a less angular overworld, but I guess we'll also get that with a core game that has a lot more time in the oven.
I'm not gonna buy the ad-on and I'm not gonna sync with Pokemon Go, but maybe the Coop mode might be something I'll try out every once in a while.
It's a nice stop gap/experiment for me on the way to Pokemon 2019.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
So am I understanding this right. This is not the big refresh game we heard about but a filler till late 2019 (when the big refresh game is released).

If this is the case then im not too bothered about the graphics looking like HD assets of the 3DS game with extra effects.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017

Like c'mon, no one fought random Pokemon anyway outside of grinding, you just ran from every encounter and only battled trainers. So putting Pokemon into the overworld and letting you pick out the ones you actually want to catch is a great idea.

Plus, the Go catching mechanics are so much more engaging than the RPGs have ever been so bringing that across is fantastic.

I've probably run away from like 10 battles in my entire life and I've been playing since gen 1.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that has never played a Pokemon game I am kinda stoked for this.

Seems like a great introduction and I - for one - love that they have streamlined the catching process.

Zero? It's the competitive Pokémon community. Why would they care about this game at all if it's not even featuring all the Pokémon or ranked online battles.

TPC knows this and that's why they've announced the next game for 2019 already.

What it boils down to in the end what your definition of a spin-off is. This is defintely way closer to the main series than Pokémon Snap or something.

figured as much. Hey everyone wanna know what my mum things about Pokemon Lets Go?

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the days of Pokémon Go, the one thing people were saying the most was that they'd wish they could fight Pokémon before catching them. Now they're basing this game on the only thing people didnt like about Go, lol.

Game looks like a dream though. Pretty dissapointing.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I did.

They are absolutely not.

fleante

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seeing more toxicity towards people who express their disappointment in these games, honestly. If someone dares mention they're upset that the game caters to casual fans or people who only like Gen 1 they get dog piled.

There's expressing disappointment, and there's making shit up to make the games seem worse than they actually are in order to deal with the disappointment. One is fine, the other is toxic bullshit.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The new capture system, that the Pokémon follow you and be able to mount them and see the Pokémon in the overworld I like them.

But that it is exactly the same Kanto with only the first 151 is too bad for me, I will wait for the game of 2019

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- Still a JRPG.

- No need to buy the ball accessory or to play Pokemon Go. It is a nice plus but is in no way mandatory.

- There are two games to promote the social aspect of the game. You will only need one and will need to trade (locally or online) to get the few exclusive Pokemon in the other version.
Great thanks a lot. Was this the main Pokemon game everyone was waiting for? Like all the older Pokemon games? Or is this a spin-off or something different?