• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 26, 2018
What's with fan reaction and this game? Can anyone explain what the fuzz is about?
Never liked Pokemon games so I just don't follow the news.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So far all I'm seeing is a lack of any critical thought, no objectivism in terms of what is being offered, and a whole fucking lot of "Kanto Nostalgia so who gives a fuck if we are giving the wrong impressions to this game company that this is exactly what kinda product they should be producing every year or so."

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So what you're telling me is that it's a neutered, but competent Pokemon title?

Sounds good as we wait for the next gen.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these reviews mention nostalgia as a reason they like these games. I wonder what kids will think feel about that?

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good, got both versions coming in Friday.

I see you get EXP from catching Pokemon, but I assume you can catch multiple Pokemon of the same kind to level one like in GO?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these reviews mention nostalgia as a reason they like these games. I wonder what kids will think feel about that?

I think a bigger factor here is that it's nostalgia for the kids' parents. And they'll be the ones buying their kids games.

Also tons of kids play Pokemon GO.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's with fan reaction and this game? Can anyone explain what the fuzz is about?
Never liked Pokemon games so I just don't follow the news.
It's a remake of Gen 1 that cuts out over a decade of advancements in favor of features and mechanics that are more stripped down and casual-friendly, with heavy influences from Pokémon Go. It's mainly made to bridge the fan base of that game.

It's gotten a lot of pushback from Pokémon fans because of it, despite the fact that they made a point to announce a proper Gen 8 title coming out next year.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
b-b-but muh wild batles! muh content!
Game looks good and plays good, it was always going to get reviews in line with the expectations of the other titles in the series, as always the pokémon fanbase simply overreacting at everything and instantly shutting down all notion of change.

Lmao the salt, maybe the game is good after all?
Or maybe Pokémon reviewers are usually completely out of touch with the series.

Big example:
https://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/pokemon-mystery-dungeon-explorers-of-sky

^ probably the most beloved spin-off by the fanbase, yet has a 50 MC for being "too complex".

It's gotten a lot of pushback from Pokémon fans because of it, despite the fact that they made a point to announce a proper Gen 8 title coming out next year.
Gen 6 and 7 are heavily criticized for lack of content and gen 1 pandering. Making a game that reforces it even more gives people no hope for gen 8 at all.

So that argument doesn't hold up much.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This excerpt from Nintendo Insider is why the candy system is broken.

That increased challenge also comes from the unusual stat system, that, rather than using capped hidden values that scale with a Pokémon's level, means that you can now use candy to power them up. These can be used to boost a specific stat regardless of their level, or, if it is candy for a particular Pokémon species, all of their stats at once. Once you start to spend time with this, you soon realise that a Pokémon can have stats that were previously impossible. For instance, I managed to boost my Level 15 Oddish to the point where I managed to beat the Level 70 Oddish that the Master Trainer has in the post-game. If you have more patience than I do, I imagine that after starting the game you could even spend time catching as many Oddish as you can on Route 1, stuff one with loads of candy and then use it to breeze your way through the game. Which seems a little unbalanced compared to normal.

It really better not come back
None of these reviews talk about the online functionality at all
Servers probably aren't up yet

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
So far all I'm seeing is a lack of any critical thought, no objectivism in terms of what is being offered, and a whole fucking lot of "Kanto Nostalgia so who gives a fuck if we are giving the wrong impressions to this game company that this is exactly what kinda product they should be producing every year or so."
Jfc lol

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
i'm pretty stoked about this. the 3ds games were all pretty bad. excited to give something a bit different a shot.

before that gen, pokemon was my favorite franchise. those 3ds games almost completely killed it, but pokemon go has sorta kept it going.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The die hard fans gatekeeping on this game has been pretty tiresome. It's been going every since initial announcement and all the way into the review thread. And now there are cries about reviews not being objective enough? Come on. I don't even really care about the game, but the die-hards really need to give it a rest. This game may not be for you.

Oct 27, 2017
As a hardcore, extremely intelligent/logical Pokeman fan, I will not read any review written by a reviewer that has less than 13 shiny Ponytas.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Big example:

^ probably the most beloved spin-off by the fanbase, yet has a 50 MC for being "too complex".
And look what happened with PMD Inifnity Gate. Pokemon Reviewers are somehow the most out of touch reviewers of a franchise while also having the most influence on the developers perception of what the general audience wants and demands from the series in the next installment, mainline or spinoff. Its infuriating as hell.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that Detective Pikachu trailer blowing up yesterday will have some impact on the game, reviews are good enough for a remake/remaster. ^^

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I honestly wonder is that Detective Pikachu trailer might help launch week sales of the game. That trailer is putting in numbers, man. Makes me wonder if the timing was intentional.

Edit: Wow ^^ Great minds think alike!

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Super happy about the good reviews. The IGN review talks about one hitting an Elite 4 trainer with the partener Pokemon... so I think I'll be banking my Pikachu and just using him as an accessory on my character.
Also the hard postgame is exciting.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like some people here want this to be reviewed and treated like the next traditional mainline game when we had known for months that they are going for a diffrent Formula/audience with this title.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Big example:

To be fair, EOS practically did nothing to improve the slow story from EOT/EOD and in order to get to the actually good Special Episode 5 you had to slog through the entire game again and deal with at least 12 chapters of cringe and unlikable characters before the game gets remotely interesting. I don't blame reviewers for dropping that early, especially if so much of the game is identical that it's like Deja Vu

PSMD on the other hand... Yeah, I think it should have reviewed a bit higher, though the fact some of my reviewer peers still liked it even if the genre wasn't engaging to them at least shows how strong it is. Pretty disappointed that LGPE is getting a pass for nostalgia purposes despite being insultingly easy, but after ORAS did well despite being a dumpster fire I'm not surprised. I think the Kotaku review is the best written by far and explains everything I was curious about pretty well.

Feb 26, 2018
It's a remake of Gen 1 that cuts out over a decade of advancements in favor of features and mechanics that are more stripped down and casual-friendly, with heavy influences from Pokémon Go. It's mainly made to bridge the fan base of that game.

So casual vs hardcore?
Classic VG conflict

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Im still torn. I mean, its the original Pokemon game in 3-d basically, right?

I don't love motion controls. Is there a way to turn it off and time it?

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I expected low 80's score at most, but there are some very high ones. Still, this is going to sell like crazy.

Reading the reviews confirms my take on this; the game is just not for me sadly.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
The die hard fans gatekeeping on this game has been pretty tiresome. It's been going every since initial announcement and all the way into the review thread. And now there are cries about reviews not being objective enough? Come on. I don't even really care about the game, but the die-hards really need to give it a rest. This game may not be for you.
high level pokemon gamers are one of the most annoying fan bases.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
It's very easy to discount these reviews if I just ignore their content and say they just like nostalgia. If I say it enough and forcefully enough, people will just accept my summary as fact rather than read them themselves

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018

Big example:

So a pokémon spin-off scored badly and suddendly all the reviewers are wrong right? Are you going to also defend Gates to Infinity? Sometimes the pokémon fanbase really need to understand where the mayority of people find the appeal in playing a Pokémon game. PMS isn't for everyone and so far the mainline series has always recieved good to great scores. LGPE being no exception.