• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this with Toni Codrea
I assume the original misconception was that TPC said it wouldn't use Nintendo Online app like Splatoon 2.
So you do need to pay for Nintendo Online but Let's Go won't use the app like arms and a few other online games.
Seems to explain the misquotes.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I told you all :P

Pokemon was never going to get a special treatment for the online service. As every game you will need to pay.

And in the future Bank will probably be a separate subscription.

Last edited:

Shayla

Oct 27, 2017
So it does have online battles? If it does then I may still get it. Still doesn't feel right they don't let other gens in but I'll play many hours online. It may even be better for me since I don't have to worry about at least evs so I can train multiple teams. They really revealed this in a bad way. It needed to be a full on Direct with lots more info than what we got.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this with Toni Codrea
I assume the original misconception was that TPC said it wouldn't use Nintendo Online app like Splatoon 2.
So you do need to pay for Nintendo Online but Let's Go won't use the app like arms and a few other online games.
Seems to explain the misquotes.
Yeah that's makes sense.

It also hammers home how much of a disaster the online app is that even after release it won't be mandatory for online games. Ouch.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people here are surprised at the confirmation. Surely it is expected that an online subscription is required for an online service?

MK8 and Splatoon 2 were exceptions but that is because Nintenso has yet to release their service.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
No battle spot?

Are we even going to get online battles?

Oct 26, 2017
I told you all :P

Pokemon was never gonna get a special treatment for the online service. As every game you will need to pay.

And in the future Bank will probably be a separate subscription.

This. Idk why people expected Pokemon to be exempt from the online service. Especially when every Pokemon game from the DS up to this point, has been using Nintendo's WiFi connection service.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the hell is going on with their messaging around this?

Why is it so hard to say that the game has online battles or not? I've heard no online features, online trading but no battles, online trading and battles, and then back to no online... which is it? Seems like everyone at the event reported something different.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is going on with their messaging around this?

Why is it so hard to say that the game has online battles or not? I've heard no online features, online trading but no battles, online trading and battles, and then back to no online... which is it? Seems like everyone at the event reported something different.
They just confirmed there's online.

The only report about no online was misscomunication from a reporter.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
That was kinda obvious, but what's worrying is the message about Pokémon online being so confusing.
They're telling there is no online, then there is, then you won't need online subscription, then woops you need, what the hell is happening.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Every year, Junishi Masuda appears at the Pokemon World Championship and deliver one piece of exclusive news for the players.

I can picture the 2018 appearance.

"Guys, good news! Because we removed Battle Spot for the new game which releases in three months, you don't have to buy a Switch for the next year in a half!
See you in August 2019, on Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon!"

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We don't know the extent, but we can assume mostly from TPC.
Right, considering the official TPC English website has the direct quote from the Q&A two days ago as "Mr. Ishihara: We don't have any plans to use this online service right now."

Like I said, completely mixed and confusing messaging on the online issue.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What's up with the endless threads about random info of these games? The only thing this serves is confusion and rage lol
We should keep it all in the main announcement thread for now until there is an official statement by Nintendo/Gamefreak/whatever

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people here are surprised at the confirmation. Surely it is expected that an online subscription is required for an online service?

MK8 and Splatoon 2 were exceptions but that is because Nintenso has yet to release their service.

This. Idk why people expected Pokemon to be exempt from the online service. Especially when every Pokemon game from the DS up to this point, has been using Nintendo's WiFi connection service.

Well, that's kinda expected. Not sure why people expected otherwise.

People are surprised by this..?

People are surprised/weren't expecting this because TPC have an interview on their website just now saying the exact opposite.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
So it does have online battles? If it does then I may still get it. Still doesn't feel right they don't let other gens in but I'll play many hours online. It may even be better for me since I don't have to worry about at least evs so I can train multiple teams. They really revealed this in a bad way. It needed to be a full on Direct with lots more info than what we got.

Yes but it won't have ranked battles.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What's up with the endless threads about random info of these games? The only thing this serves is confusion and rage lol
We should keep it all in the main announcement thread for now until there is an official statement by Nintendo/Gamefreak/whatever

All the new info would be buried in nanoseconds.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Every time Microsoft announce a new game at E3, I'm going to make a new thread stating:

"Halo X will require an online subscription to use online features"

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese statement from TPC:
インターネット及びローカルでの通信対戦・交換は可能です。但し、『ポケットモンスター ウルトラサン・ウルトラムーン』までの、バトルスポット(レーティングバトルやフリーバトル、オンライン大会など)、GTS、ミラクル交換といった機能ではなく、もう少しシンプルな機能です。内容については後日ご紹介いたします。また、上記の機能を使用するためには、9月より正式スタートするNintendo Switch Onlineへの加入が必要です。
Translation:
Battling and swapping Pokemon over internet and locally is possible. However, it won't include things like battle spot (rating battle, free battle, online tournament), GTS, and miracle swap that was present in Ultra Sun/Moon: it will be something more simple. We will provide more info at a later date. To utilize this you will need to subscribe to our new online service starting in September.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
All the new info would be buried in nanoseconds.
So a random google translate is now official new info worthy of a thread? That's like the 10th thread about Pokemon in the last two days. I wouldn't mind if those were actual news, but we're just running circles around the online capabilities of the game.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Na, it's them on a crusade to make everything "simple" to pander to the Go crowd

Nothing wrong with that.

Sun and Moon only came out 18 months ago and the true sequel will be out in 2019.

This is more of an extra adventure to bring in a different audience.

In life we have to not presume everything should be aimed at us and the things that aren't are somehow automatically bad.

I sadly think some would prefer this game didn't exist and that only the true sequel was coming in 2019, just to spite those who may want a more simpler experience.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Na, it's them on a crusade to make everything "simple" to pander to the Go crowd

No, it's them developing a game aimed to créate a bridge to the main series for the Go crowd.

Even YOU have fallen into the Let's Go bashing? Jesús, the hah-core pokemon base sure is annoying

The game is not made for you, deal with it.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
LET'S ALL GET FURIOUSLY ANGRY ABOUT A GAME REQUIRING THE PAID ONLINE SERVICE FOR ITS ONLINE COMPONENT. RAAAARRRGGGHH.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No, it's them developing a game aimed to créate a bridge to the main series for the Go crowd.

Even YOU have fallen into the Let's Go bashing? Jesús, the hah-core pokemon base sure is annoying

The game is not made for you, deal with it.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I am looking forward to these games.

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with that.

Sun and Moon only came out 18 months ago and the true sequel will be out in 2019.

This is more of an extra adventure to bring in a different audience.

In life we have to not presume everything should be aimed at us and the things that aren't are somehow automatically bad.

I sadly think some would prefer this game didn't exist and that only the true sequel was coming in 2019, just to spite those who may want a more simpler experience.

Yeah but people are acting like Pokemon was always gated towards a certain fanbase when it has always been accessible to everyone. Casual fans can pick up the game and enjoy it for the story and even the gameplay, while the familiar fans can enjoy what it has to offer as well as being able to go competitive if they choose to do so. The audience is not as different as you think it is, which is why I find that reasoning very odd when people are defending why LGE/P is choosing to appeal to a "different demographic."

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
The online functionality of literally every single Switch game is going to require the paid subscription, so, uh, I don't see how that is news.

The news here seems to be, from what I can gleam from that Google Translation, that the game will have some online functionality but not as extensive as Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Me too
If there is an online subscription, isn't normal that... You have to be subscribed to access online functions of every game?

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, I understand that mistranslations and the like happen, because while that sucks and causes headaches for all involved, it's usually completely unintentional and it's just a thing that happens sometimes, like it or not.

But even now that the mistranslations themselves are cleared up, it's still kind of ridiculous how much contradictory information is out there all the same. Like, the official Q&A flat-out says it will not use the Switch's paid online service, but now this Famitsu piece is saying that it does? How can there be so much confusion and contradictory information on such a basic point, so soon after launch? Like, yeah, it makes more sense that it would use it and it would be weird if Pokémon got an exception, but still, that makes it even weirder that there was any confusion in the first place, especially since the original question seems to have been very clearly worded about the Switch's online service and I don't get how the question could have possibly been interpreted in any other way, leading to this confusion.

And even as someone not exactly the most excited for these games, it's still disappointing because even though they may not exactly be my cup-of-tea, I have to say the trailers themselves and all that for these games are great and that much of the marketing was brilliant and done very well, so that they're having such a hard time with the Q&A and getting basic info about the games out there and correct and even stranger.

IN ANY CASE, that all aside, assuming that this is indeed the final correct, info, the thing I'm the most disappointed in here is the lack of Wonder Trade functionality. Wonder Trade is just such a simple, cool thing, and I see no reason they couldn't make it work for these games. For the unaware, in Pokémon games, Wonder Trade refers to an option that lets you pick one of your Pokémon you want to trade, and then it's instantly traded with a random trade partner somewhere in the world who also chose to use the feature with one of their Pokémon. So you never know what you might get. And it's just so easily addicting to just do it over and over and over again and what you see next.

Of all the online functionality, that seems a very fun and straightforward feature that even for a game like this I still figured would be a sure-thing (particularly since it's easy to see it as a simplified version of trading due to everything being automatic), so it's absence really hurts. =( Particularly when these will be the first Pokémon games that ask players to pay for access to online functionality, having the first entries to do that not only not going above and beyond, but not even having such simple basic features such as that really rubs in it.

And to be clear, since it's easy to take this otherwise, I'm not upset or outraged over this or anything like that, and I realize it's not that big a deal, certainly, especially with the other games coming next year, but it's just really disappointing all the same to have this apparently confirmed all the same now, that's all. Because what they're showing does nonetheless look good, but it's just so easy to envision the games being even better than they are it's just a shame that it seems that that won't be the case and that these games won't be living up to their full potential by leaving stuff that would make them so, so much better behind. Or at least that's what it's all about in my case and that's how I feel anyway.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
LET'S ALL GET FURIOUSLY ANGRY ABOUT A GAME REQUIRING THE PAID ONLINE SERVICE FOR ITS ONLINE COMPONENT. RAAAARRRGGGHH.

Don't know why people expected something else... maybe because of the way TPC communicated only with Japanese press and people had to rely on translations from 3rd parties?

Regardless, it was to be expected. Not putting Pokémon on the service would make the service less attractive.

Just wishh they had kept things like the trade market etc. Trade evos gonna suck again.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people expected something else... maybe because of the way TPC communicated only with Japanese press and people had to rely on translations from 3rd parties?

They didn't really. But we're in the classic "hardcore gamers getting angry about something they feel doesn't cater to their needs" phase with the Let's Go games so any excuse to pile on hate and anger is seized upon.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

Did you even read the thread? It has been unclear from the beginning due to incorrect messaging on TPCi part.

They didn't really. But we're in the classic "hardcore gamers getting angry about something they feel doesn't cater to their needs" phase with the Let's Go games so any excuse to pile on hate and anger is seized upon.

Oh, I see.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice. Hope every Pokemon buyer subscribe to it and maintain high MAU and engagement.