• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Well what did you guys expect. They are launching a subscription based online service, so yes of course there biggest selling game this year is going to be part of it.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Man people were giving me shot for suggesting this in the other threads. Now I have to pay yearly fee for Bank AND their online system?

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is going to make so much money this Q4. Not only are millions of people going to be buying Let's Go, but also joining the online service.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, my time being finally able to trade Pokemon after growing up with no friends who had a game boy has come to an end. 2006-2017.

It was a good run.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
It's been hilarious to see the back and forth messages that it has no online, yes Online, only local wifi battle and trades, and no battle and trades at all!

Such limited online play options, they should have allowed free online play for Let's Go, all the good features have been removed.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah we had reporting suggesting that yesterday:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-pokemon-let’s-go-2019-info-facebook-post.46031/

Didn't stop anyone from baselessly claiming the games online play wouldn't require subscription. Serebii was backing it up and people were trashing anyone suggesting otherwise.
Just to clarify, that wasn't baseless. Of course, once we knew it had online after all, the default thought would be that it would use the Switch's paid online service. That only makes sense of course. The confusion came in because they themselves said otherwise before this and the fact that they said otherwise is what prompted this question from Famitsu itself apparently. In other words, itt was because they're own Q&A on the official site suggested otherwise. See:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-lets-go-pikachu-eevees-online-service-requires-nintendo-switch-online-subscription.46143/#post-8600256

That most certainly wasn't baseless and initial mistranslation issues aside, TPCi can really only blame themselves for the bad messaging/mixed issues/people being confused here because that's all on them due to not being able to keep their story straight.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Just to clarify, that wasn't baseless. Of course, once we knew it had online after all, the default thought would be that it would use the Switch's paid online service. That only makes sense of course. The confusion came in because they themselves said otherwise before this and the fact that they said otherwise is what prompted this question from Famitsu itself apparently. In other words, itt was because they're own Q&A on the official site suggested otherwise. See:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-lets-go-pikachu-eevees-online-service-requires-nintendo-switch-online-subscription.46143/#post-8600256

That most certainly wasn't baseless and initial mistranslation issues aside, TPCi can really only blame themselves for the bad messaging/mixed issues/people being confused here because that's all on them due to not being able to keep their story straight.

Meanwhile, people using common sense and knowing that an Nintendo paid online system would be weak and less interesting w/o Pokémon were dismissed. The very idea that they wouldn't include this in their offering should have dropped their share price if anyone took it seriously.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The online component of a Switch game that releases after the free online trial period ends will require a paid online subscription to be able to access said online component. Shocking.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I mean it launches after Nintendo's online service so...no shit? I mean isn't that the entire point of even having an online subscription service?

SMH at anyone shocked by this.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
> Nintendo announce that after their paid online service launches, games with online play features will need the paid online service to be used
> New game with online play features launches, after paid online service launches
> People are surprised that a game with online play features requires aforementioned the paid online service which has been established as required to use online play features

wut

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
So we have to pay for this in addition to Pokémon bank and we can't use Pokémon bank to transfer in our 'mons because "genwun"? This proposition gets bleaker and less consumer friendly each time it's clarified.

LG is already a no sell to me, but you want me to subscribe to a paid online service for what will be the most limited MP enviroment in the series' recent history?

I thought they would've at least made an exception for Pokémon because of the kids...

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for casuals

requires a $300 console + $60 game + $20 online subscription

EqQbkms.gif

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I'm surprised by how many people are "blown away" by this on what I would consider one of the webs most hardcore gaming communities.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
for casuals

EqQbkms.gif

Plus optional 50€ controller that kids will scream for and that is literally a stick and a button on a plastic ball. Seriously. I predict this game to be hot... in the pre-owned bins of game stores.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
It would be more shocking if the game doesn't require Online Service.

Everyone would be laughing at the Online Service and say "what's the point" if it doesn't need.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm surprised by how many people are "blown away" by this on what I would consider one of the webs most hardcore gaming communities.

I mean they literally put on their website the other day that they weren't doing this, so I can see the surprise.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for casuals

EqQbkms.gif
Wouldnt it be the same for any other console except change the 20 to a $60 for xbl/psn (hell increase the cost more if they're getting the pro/X system for that $300) Paying for online sucks but Nintendo was going to do it at one point and it'd be stupid for them to not have pokemon under that plan.

Last edited:

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
As if. It'll do well enough simply for having Pokémon in its title.

Selling well has never been mutually exclusive with filling the pre-owned bins by the truckload. It's not the first time we've seen it happening with other franchises that went sour despite their marketing budget.

Edit: the key of these games is retention, as they're trying to attract a very specific demographic that was not there before. However everything in this game screams the opposite since the featurelist is extremely thin, the potential post-game activities seem scarce and the online multiplayer retention appears to be nearly zero since the Pokédex can be filled very quickly and the unranked battles become stale after facing the same set of 10 pokémon for the 30th time with everybody and their grandma using Mewtwo. I see these games selling well. I also see all their target demographic not even giving a fuck for more next year.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If there are new online features in this game like Pokemon Go raids. They'll need to announce it soon.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any game Sony or Microsoft released to try and convert their free to play mobile audience though
This "convert mobile players" is a thing that ~never~ works. There isn't a single game I can think of that was a big mobile game, went console and had similar success. Games like Puzzle & Dragons and Monster Strike tried exactly this and failed.

Mobile players are very sensitive to pricing - just see how F2P games destroy premium mobile games. 380$ to just start a game won't convert any group en mass.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Selling well has never been mutually exclusive with filling the pre-owned bins by the truckload. It's not the first time we've seen it happening with other franchises that went sour despite their marketing budget.

Edit: the key of these games is retention, as they're trying to attract a very specific demographic that was not there before. However everything in this game screams the opposite since the featurelist is extremely thin, the potential post-game activities seem scarce and the online multiplayer retention appears to be nearly zero since the Pokédex can be filled very quickly and the unranked battles become stale after facing the same set of 10 pokémon for the 30th time with everybody and their grandma using Mewtwo. I see these games selling well. I also see all their target demographic not even giving a fuck for more next year.
Doomed.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This "convert mobile players" is a thing that ~never~ works. There isn't a single game I can think of that was a big mobile game, went console and had similar success. Games like Puzzle & Dragons and Monster Strike tried exactly this and failed.

Mobile players are very sensitive to pricing - just see how F2P games destroy premium mobile games. 380$ to just start a game won't convert any group en mass.

usually yeah, but im guessing a lot of people were already considering buying a switch (or already have one)

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well what did you guys expect. They are launching a subscription based online service, so yes of course there biggest selling game this year is going to be part of it.
Even the smallest nothing game with online is going to require the service. This game was never thought to be f2p so why would anyone even think it wasnt. Nintendo might not even let f2p games off the hook.

Kenagain

Oct 27, 2017
I may be a bit out of the loop here, but am I missing something? The title of the thread sounds like "Halo's online service requires Xbox Live". I don't really see why it's a big deal at all

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just assumed all online titles will starting this fall? Just like on PlayStation. And like there, maybe games with some online connectivity but no real-time online play won't require it. But this does have real-time online battles, or...? So then this seems obvious.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people are shocked. You need PSN or Xbox Live to do ANYTHING online in ANY and EVERY game. It'll be the same on Nintendo otherwise why would they bother.

Not exactly, on PSN if there is a seperate subscription fee for the geme itself, you can play online without PSN, like FF14.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I may be a bit out of the loop here, but am I missing something? The title of the thread sounds like "Halo's online service requires Xbox Live". I don't really see why it's a big deal at all

Stuff missing in translation or misinterpreted about not using "nintendo online service" fueled news about first, saying these games won't have online, to have online but not locked by the yearly fee to be confirmed to be locked by the fee. I guess the intention of the response was saying that they wouldn't be using the mobile app service that integrates voice chat and extra services for games (like the Splatoon 2 off-game store and match history)

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Why would it cost less than $60? Mainline Pokémon games have always been full price on previous hardware, and you even have cases like HG/SS that wound up being a bit more expensive than that.

A fraction of the content for a higher price has never been a good value proposition, and on the Switch there are retail games ranging from 20€ all the way to 60€. The only justification I find is that finally one copy can be shared by a family since every profile will have their saved game instead of purchasing one game per person like it was the case until now, but i still find it bullshit because that should have been the case since generations ago and it's something GF has been very criticised about for years.