• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu contacted TPC for further clarification regarding confusing statements on Let's go Pikachu/Eevee's conflicting info regarding online and this is the answer they received.

source

Google Translate
Q. It was a story that "There is traditional communication battle / exchange", but is it okay if we recognize that it is a communication battle / exchange, such as being connected to people all over the world online?

A. Battle between the Internet and local communication Battle / exchange is possible. However, it is not a function such as battle spot (rating battle, free battle, online tournament, etc.), GTS, and miracle exchange until " Pocket Monster Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon " is a little more simple function. We will introduce the contents at a later date. In addition, in order to use the above function, you need to join Nintendo Switch Online, which will be officially started from September.

So based on this information we can assume
-Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee will indeed have online functionality

-But Nintendo Switch;s Paid Online Subscription is indeed required to gain access to online.

-The game's online service will be different from previous Pokemon games and will have much more simplified online.

Thought this was worthy for separate thread. Feel free to close the thread if it doesn't deserve its own thread.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
ultrasound ultra moon? theyre finally explaining how pokemon are born?
edit: you edited it :(

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The online functionality of literally every single Switch game is going to require the paid subscription, so, uh, I don't see how that is news.

The news here seems to be, from what I can gleam from that Google Translation, that the game will have some online functionality but not as extensive as Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
oYqDKpc.gif

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wait, the title is a bit misleading, isn't it?

The game doesn't require online subs, only the online component does. That's if this news if true.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been preparing myself for this. Just wait until you have to pay online to hang out with your friends in Animal Crossing.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
So, the game is more expensive, the online has less options AND you have to pay for online on top of that?.

GF really want to milk the go crowd with the minimum effort.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes.

The real question is whether a separate fee will nevertheless remain for Pokémon Bank or an equivalent service for carrying data between games, particularly as we get into the main-line Pokémon in 2019.

Also: I'm sure this has been said, but with this launching as the big late-November game to carry the momentum for subscriptions into the holiday season, what interests me most is that the chances of a September launch for Smash have shot up considerably.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people are shocked. You need PSN or Xbox Live to do ANYTHING online in ANY and EVERY game. It'll be the same on Nintendo otherwise why would they bother.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Reading the title I thought I wouldn't be able to play at all without the subscription. I'm fine with this since I'm not interested in the online features though.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people are shocked. You need PSN or Xbox Live to do ANYTHING online in ANY and EVERY game. It'll be the same on Nintendo otherwise why would they bother.
Because it wasnt clear on the conference, and it was one of the argument used to defend this that the online was free and it was going to have "normal" battles.

But this doesnt inspire confidence about having normal online battles.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
This is so confusing.

Next thing you'll know: battling wild pokemon IS in the game.
I wish

Oct 25, 2017
So, the game is more expensive, the online has less options AND you have to pay for online on top of that?.

GF really want to milk the go crowd with the minimum effort.
Are you telling me that this Nintendo game with online functionality will need the online subscription service that launched before its release to access the online functionality?

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You need the online service to play the online portion of the game. How surprising can this be to a console audience familiar with Xbox Live and PSN?

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Read the title and thought that the subscription would be necessary for the main game...

Thank god it's only for the online part. I could care less.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Not true. F2P games are free on PS4 and some games have free passive online stuff like Watch Dogs 2 where you can play with other players around in free roam without a PSN sub.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yep, seems like a misunderstanding. Ishihara probably meant something along the lines of a voice app.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
I mean that's the purpose of the subscription right? why should we be surprised?

Oct 25, 2017
In light of this news (TPC being asked directly, which somewhat contradicts the exact words of the producers), I think this means they meant the Online App. The Switch Online Service is mostly benefited by its app, so that could just mean Pokemon won't be using the Online App for voice chat or lobby rooms.

starpiercer

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Not surprised by this because by the time Pokemon: Let's Go is released, their on-line subscription service should be up and running. The only problem is, how good is the on-line service in terms of stability?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Free would have been nicer but I'm singing up for the online service anyway so it doesn't make a big difference to me.