What's getting announced for Pokémon Day?

• Pokémon Gold & Silver Remakes/Reimaginings (traditional, Legends, Let's Go)

Votes: 129 39.9%
  • Pokémon Black & White Remakes/Reimaginings (traditional, Legends, Let's Go)

Votes: 170 52.6%
  • Another expansion for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • Pokémon Black 3 & White 3

Votes: 39 12.1%
  • A new Mystery Dungeon

Votes: 37 11.5%
  • A new Pokémon Spinoff

Votes: 88 27.2%
  • Re-releases of the Gameboy titles

Votes: 87 26.9%

• Total voters

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
What did he get wrong other than tera forms, which were apparently an april fools joke

The PK Hex-like feature is a big one, considering how much of a fiasco getting optimal legendary Pokemon has been this generation with a lot of VGC and recent BSS teams wanting Speed IVs between 0 and 31 rather than 31 or 0. The rise of Charm Flutter Mane in the past year for Battle Stadium Singles actually made low Special Attack IVs important for some mons too (Choice Band Chien-Pao being the most notable with it wanting a 0-1 SpA IV so Tera Blast doesn't flip to Special after getting hit by Flutter Mane's Charm). IVs being annoying when you want below 31 has always been a thing but its just much worse now when getting stuff like an optimal Landorus is much better on hardware that came out a decade ago, rather than the very painful ways to get said Landorus on the Switch games / Pokemon Go with optimal stats.

So yeah the PK Hex-like feature being a bust was a real bummer!

Jun 5, 2018
Just curious, does anyone actually like one of the sidegames more than the main series?

What do you mean by a remake for Gen 2/5 would be too soon?
I assume some people like colosseum more than the others, I've seen that sentiment a few times, same for mystery dungeon and Pokémon go. As for it being too soon, I mean in relation to gen 5 mostly, unless they pull an arceus, I don't feel like we're getting any remakes for them this decade.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
The PK Hex-like feature is a big one, considering how much of a fiasco getting optimal legendary Pokemon has been this generation with a lot of VGC and recent BSS teams wanting Speed IVs between 0 and 31 rather than 31 or 0. The rise of Charm Flutter Mane in the past year for Battle Stadium Singles actually made low Special Attack IVs important for some mons too (Choice Band Chien-Pao being the most notable with it wanting a 0-1 SpA IV so Tera Blast doesn't flip to Special after getting hit by Flutter Mane's Charm). IVs being annoying when you want below 31 has always been a thing but its just much worse now when getting stuff like an optimal Landorus is much better on hardware that came out a decade ago, rather than the very painful ways to get said Landorus on the Switch games / Pokemon Go with optimal stats.

So yeah the PK Hex-like feature being a bust was a real bummer!
Yeah, I'm hoping this was delayed into a future mainline title, because it's well-past needed at this point. Hell, breeding my team of freaks for this upcoming tournament is still annoying and I'm not even using any legendaries lol.

Still nothing in comparison to what it used to be!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I assume some people like colosseum more than the others, I've seen that sentiment a few times, same for mystery dungeon and Pokémon go. As for it being too soon, I mean in relation to gen 5 mostly, unless they pull an arceus, I don't feel like we're getting any remakes for them this decade.
The Pokémon BDSP remakes were released 15 years after the launch of Diamond & Pearl. The theoretical Pokémon Black & White remakes this holiday season would be releasing 14 years after the launch of Black & White.

For comparison, FireRed & LeafGreen were released eight years after the launch of Red & Green, HeartGold & SoulSilver were released ten years after the launch of Gold & Silver, and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire were released twelve years after Ruby & Sapphire.

I realize that one way to look at this is that the gap between a gen and its remake has been increasing over time. But waiting until 2030 (or longer!) to remake Black & White would be a pretty significant lengthening, and I'm just not sure why we'd expect that now that TPC is clearly willing to outsource remakes. 20+ years is a long time.

I'd actually expect Pokémon X&Y remakes before the end of this decade, in 2028 or so.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
How do you guys differentiate fake rumors from real sounding rumors? The fake ones sound more disappointing?
Three different ways for me:

Something utterly absurd is mentioned: like with the Let's Go Wooper and Togepi. That immediately got a red flag for me because out of all the Pokémon to choose to represent Johto, they choose Wooper?

Something is too good to be true: the leak mentions something along the lines of 'all Pokémon are catchable' or 'you can set difficulty at the start.' Things that it seems like GameFreak would be hard pressed to do.

Something that sounds super fanfic/edgelord: when they try to tie it way to close to specific dark lore aspects or an anime focus. I've seen some 'leaks' in the past that mentioned stuff like a character gets sacrificed in a volcano or other absurd stuff. I don't think they will ever have you come across Ash in a Game Freak game.

There have been a lot of insane leaks in the past that are easy to see that it's clearly bullshit. Granted I'm sure I wouldn't have entirely believed that Let's Go leak. I think mostly because of the peripheral and Pokemon Go mechanics.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
How do you guys differentiate fake rumors from real sounding rumors? The fake ones sound more disappointing?

we never know the real ones are real until after game announcement/first major trailer where something is revealed that was mentioned in some random 4chan posts from months ago lmao.

God I remember the night before our first big gameplay trailer for Sw/Sh there was that 4chan leak talking about gigatamax. It's that type of stuff you just kinda figure is real because giant pokemon as a gimmick is exactly the kind of weird silliness gamefreak would do.

Now that I think about it, we haven't really had major obvious leaks prior to main-series game announcements, historically, have we? The only things that come to mind are the LGPE leaks, and the amount of poketubers insisting that the gen 8 region would be the UK months before the game got announced.

There were trademark leaks iirc for Sun/Moon but that was in between the initial announcement and starter reveal. And there was that PLA leak but I don't know if I really count that because it happened like a few hours before the presents went live.

3AM

Nov 19, 2017
we never know the real ones are real until after game announcement/first major trailer where something is revealed that was mentioned in some random 4chan posts from months ago lmao.

These are the funniest leaks to me. I'm not going digging for links right now, but I vividly recall Gen 7/8/9 all having LENGTHY 4chan posts that quite literally outlined the entire game months before release and they just kind of got buried under all the other fake stuff until the games actually came out and someone who had saved them said "Hey look, this guy leaked the entire game 8 months ago".

...which is probably why people still pay any attention to 4chan leaks. 99.9% of them are fake but history has proven that there's always a real, substantial leak buried in that mess somewhere.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
These are the funniest leaks to me. I'm not going digging for links right now, but I vividly recall Gen 7/8/9 all having LENGTHY 4chan posts that quite literally outlined the entire game months before release and they just kind of got buried under all the other fake stuff until the games actually came out and someone who had saved them said "Hey look, this guy leaked the entire game 8 months ago".

...which is probably why people still pay any attention to 4chan leaks. 99.9% of them are fake but history has proven that there's always a real, substantial leak buried in that mess somewhere.
To me that's what makes them absolutely worthless. Why isn't there some other consistent method people can use to leak information without having to shovel thru mountains of trash?

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Off topic but I've been wanting to transfer my Pokemon from the GBA games over to the Switch and the only missing piece of the puzzle I need is one of B/W/BW2/W2. Holy fucking shit I checked listings on EBay and the prices are actually insane.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but I've been wanting to transfer my Pokemon from the GBA games over to the Switch and the only missing piece of the puzzle I need is one of B/W/BW2/W2. Holy fucking shit I checked listings on EBay and the prices are actually insane.
I hate to inform you of this—and it hurts me to even type it, honestly—but those games are now considered retro. The prices are outta control nowadays, unfortunately.

I know, my back aches too…

Jun 5, 2018
The Pokémon BDSP remakes were released 15 years after the launch of Diamond & Pearl. The theoretical Pokémon Black & White remakes this holiday season would be releasing 14 years after the launch of Black & White.

For comparison, FireRed & LeafGreen were released eight years after the launch of Red & Green, HeartGold & SoulSilver were released ten years after the launch of Gold & Silver, and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire were released twelve years after Ruby & Sapphire.

I realize that one way to look at this is that the gap between a gen and its remake has been increasing over time. But waiting until 2030 (or longer!) to remake Black & White would be a pretty significant lengthening, and I'm just not sure why we'd expect that now that TPC is clearly willing to outsource remakes. 20+ years is a long time.

I'd actually expect Pokémon X&Y remakes before the end of this decade, in 2028 or so.
That's just it though, expecting them to release gen 5 remakes when they almost didn't even green light bdsp (original plan was only arceus.) tells me gen 5 getting a remake is anything but certain.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how there's basically two tiers of mainline Pokemon games, and the sales reflect that.

Tier 1 is the "new gen" game:

SWSH - 26.17m
SV - 24.36m

Tier 2 is the remake/experimental game, which is basically a guaranteed 15 million in sales:

PLA - 14.83m
BDSP - 15.06m
LGPLGE - 15.07m

the "real" game is gonna sell an extra 10 million copies, but the Tier 2 games are still a guaranteed 15 million (aka a number anyone in the entire industry would kill for even once), even if it's a mediocre remake with stupid pokemon go controls tacked on, or not even made by game freak at all!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Any leaks at all as to what might be shown Tuesday? We thinking something to do with Black and White?

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
It's interesting how there's basically two tiers of mainline Pokemon games, and the sales reflect that.

Tier 1 is the "new gen" game:

SWSH - 26.17m
SV - 24.36m

Tier 2 is the remake/experimental game, which is basically a guaranteed 15 million in sales:

PLA - 14.83m
BDSP - 15.06m
LGPLGE - 15.07m

the "real" game is gonna sell an extra 10 million copies, but the Tier 2 games are still a guaranteed 15 million (aka a number anyone in the entire industry would kill for even once), even if it's a mediocre remake with stupid pokemon go controls tacked on, or not even made by game freak at all!

The New Gen. Games also get a longer support cycle with paid DLC in the following year instead of a third version.

If they released S/V in 2023 and brought a big Legends DLC in the End of 2022 instead of immediately killing it, Legends would probably sold more than its almost 15 Million.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
The New Gen. Games also get a longer support cycle with paid DLC in the following year instead of a third version.

If they released S/V in 2023 and brought a big Legends DLC in the End of 2022 instead of immediately killing it, Legends would probably sold more than its almost 15 Million.
probably, but it would not have come close to the higher tier at all. I think the new gen games are just unassailable sales wise

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
New 4chan "leak"

IMG_4566.jpg

Wulava

Jul 18, 2022
The biggest surprise of Pokemon Day: Gen 5 remakes are skipped and we get Pokemon Z.

In all seriousness though, I think Johto is already too small of a region to get split. Also no mention of Celebi? Are we Isekai'd again? Who brought the foreign starters into Johto, Laventon again?

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I think what I'm most curious to see with this Presents is if Game Freak keeps true to their release pattern and does a Johto game next, or breaks away from it and does Unova instead.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think what I'm most curious to see with this Presents is if Game Freak keeps true to their release pattern and does a Johto game next, or breaks away from it and does Unova instead.
Who says Game Freak is doing either? ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if, as far as Pokémon is concerned, Game Freak is all-in on releasing new generations and their DLC. That's already a huge undertaking, and it's only going to become a larger one on future hardware.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Remember, patterns only exist because fans think they do.

They only did ORAS because they saw fan desire for it. They've confirmed that.. Plus, my view is they only commissioned BDSP out of fear of backlash of their Sinnoh game being Legends after the Dexit nonsense (it was commissioned in March 2020)

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
For me the dream would be a rather faithful gen 5 remake and a Gen 5 experimental game, just like gen 4 but with better visuals for each, especially the remake.
At the same time that would be the second time gen 5 games come out at the very end of a system life so it might impact its sales again. But that would be part of the gen legacy and mythology I guess lol

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
As far as fake leaks go, I at least would find a game like this interesting.

Also, GameFreak probably still needs to do games other than new generations because they like revisiting past regions with new stuff, and they couldn't really outsource that unless they were willing to just send a few people to work on purely the creative side. Just feels like something they want full control over.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
There are lots of wild expectations I'm seeing all over the internet.
So many people convinced of something Johto and/or Unova happening when I bet GameFreak will pull a GameFreak and do something entirely different.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So many people convinced of something Johto and/or Unova happening when I bet GameFreak will pull a GameFreak and do something entirely different.
Yep

I see it all the time. People insist everything is a hint, then the clout goblins jump on it and push it, then when it doesn't happen, people rage...usually at TPC

I always bring up the 2020 New Years stream from the ISS as a prime example of it. It was just a cool thing TPC was doing in collaboration with the Japanese Space Agency. People and youtubers decided because Space = Palkia (not realising Palkia is dimensional space and not outer space), that they were going to reveal DP remakes in that livestream, even though TPC wasn't even hosting it, just one of many sponsors with segments in the annual stream. People even blamed me for it

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be happy with a Let's Go Johto, add held items (people seem to like them, i don't really care though for these games), fighting wild pokémon (can keep the GO catching, that's fine), and some QoL stuff and I'm in.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Yeah I am part of the problem lol. I have convinced myself something gen 5 related is happening with 0 evidence except some recurring internet discourse and will be disappointed when it doesn't happen... while that's 100% on me

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that always gives away a fake leak is if it tries to explain what the developers or upper management were thinking. Like if it says Nintendo dictated that so and so should happen because fans were asking for it or something like that.