• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's getting announced for Pokémon Day?

• Pokémon Gold & Silver Remakes/Reimaginings (traditional, Legends, Let's Go)

Votes: 126 40.6%
  • Pokémon Black & White Remakes/Reimaginings (traditional, Legends, Let's Go)

Votes: 168 54.2%
  • Another expansion for Pokémon Scarlet & Violet

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Pokémon Black 3 & White 3

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • A new Mystery Dungeon

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • A new Pokémon Spinoff

Votes: 86 27.7%
  • Re-releases of the Gameboy titles

Votes: 80 25.8%

• Total voters
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
so how am I supposed to defeat Meganium?
CaSL.gif

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
so how am I supposed to defeat Meganium?
CaSL.gif

Use the Air Buster and jump over its Leaf Shield /s

Looking at it's moveset, special bug (tera) options would be a good shout. Something that can mitigate its buffs especially would be useful as support. Bug resists 3 of its 4 attacking moves, with Zen Headbutt being neutral.

Special ghost (tera) types don't really care about Body Press or the associated Def buffs, which means you only need someone/thing to clear the attack buffs.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
If anyone wants a good strat for Meganium

Tera Ghost Skeledirge with Unaware holding a Shell Bell
Max HP and Max Special Attack
Protect
Hex
Shadow Ball
Torch Song

Spam Torch Song until the shield goes up, protect on the ability/stat null turn(that way you don't get hit without unaware). Torch Song spam again until you get too low or reach plus 6(whatever comes first), then hex(if a partner inflicted status) or Shadow Ball(if not)

I did it with this build on the first try

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I was looking at the latest Pokédex book that was released in Japan, and in the end they show all the Pokémon and forms that are not in any of the SV pokédexes but that can be transferred in

IMG-20240406-120845.jpg

Is this the only official acknowledgement we've had of Original Color Magearna, besides its brief appearance in the anime? I don't remember this form appearing in any previous guide, and I don't think neither the official websites nor the social media have even talked about how to obtain it in HOME.

IMG-20240406-120910.jpg

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I was looking at the latest Pokédex book that was released in Japan, and in the end they show all the Pokémon and forms that are not in any of the SV pokédexes but that can be transferred in

IMG-20240406-120845.jpg

Is this the only official acknowledgement we've had of Original Color Magearna, besides its brief appearance in the anime? I don't remember this form appearing in any previous guide, and I don't think neither the official websites nor the social media have even talked about how to obtain it in HOME.

IMG-20240406-120910.jpg
Has there really never been any notification of OG Magearna? It's so widely known o figured it was announced at some point

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Has there really never been any notification of OG Magearna? It's so widely known o figured it was announced at some point
As far as I know, it was only reported by fans who were completing the Pokédex in HOME and receiving the gift, but it was glitched. Then GF fixed it the following month in an update, but I don't think they ever addressed it directly like saying in some official way "hey, if you complete the National Pokédex, you get OC Magearna". It's never gotten an official artwork, and if you go to its Pokédex entries on the official websites, they only list the standard form.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
And with those last few trade evolutions finished just under the deadline, I have just completed the 3ds portion of my annoying-ass, extra-rules LivingDex. Time to finally transfer them to the Switch and relax. 😌

It's every form of every pokemon, each one with my name as the OT, each one caught in a classic pokeball, and each one caught in the earliest game in which it can be caught under those conditions.

I've had to make some adjustments and exceptions for the occasional odd-case legendary or mythical, and I bet I made a mistake somewhere, but I'm glad to finally have it done. I got to replay every generation of game in the last year, so it was a ton of fun!

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I beat Meganium with a Gholdengo I have in my PC, I was too lazy to train anything new like a Skeledirge, so just hoped it would work. I was surprised how even with no HP or Def EVs the Gholdengo (prior Tera Ghost) took so little damage (I had no Intimidate NPCs supporting either). I guess that's the Meganium effect. Let's hope that one day Meganium gets the Mega it deserves; I would like to see Grass/Fairy with Flower Veil.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I beat Meganium with a Gholdengo I have in my PC, I was too lazy to train anything new like a Skeledirge, so just hoped it would work. I was surprised how even with no HP or Def EVs the Gholdengo (prior Tera Ghost) took so little damage (I had no Intimidate NPCs supporting either). I guess that's the Meganium effect. Let's hope that one day Meganium gets the Mega it deserves; I would like to see Grass/Fairy with Flower Veil.
A regional meganium that gives it a secondary typing and changes up its stat distribution and movepool would be cool too

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was weird how Meganium got shit for being weak when Blastoise has like the exact same stats. I know water is a better typing though.

I liked what radical red did with Meganium, making it grass/fairy and giving it triage.

A regional meganium that gives it a secondary typing and changes up its stat distribution and movepool would be cool too

Unless they swap the attacking stats, they usually play it super safe with regional variant stat distributions and only change one or two stats by like 10.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I always thought it was weird how Meganium got shit for being weak when Blastoise has like the exact same stats. I know water is a better typing though.

I liked what radical red did with Meganium, making it grass/fairy and giving it triage.

Unless they swap the attacking stats, they usually play it super safe with regional variant stat distributions and only change one or two stats by like 10.
they usually do, but there have been instances of more drastic stat redistributions for regional mons(though yeah more often then not the stat changes are minor and the main differences are typing, ability, and movepool)

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I wish I'd been a little older/more switched on before the retro Pokemon market exploded. I'd really like to have a full collection of all the main series games but I'm looking at a pretty big outlay to fill in the gaps on what I already have. I need Red (lost my copy), Blue, Yellow, Crystal, Ruby (also lost my copy), Sapphire, LeafGreen, Diamond (another lost copy) and Pearl (the copy I got off my brother no longer functions). I also want to complete a Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5 living dex as well but I'd need to buy two GBAs and a link cable to do that. Just going to have to be something I chip away at I guess.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Its hilarious that Khu clearly has no info on the future so he is yapping about supposedly scrapped SV dev details that he has no proof of

Oct 26, 2017

It probably mostly comes down to how much better Water type is offensively and how it gets Ice coverage basically by default as a well which is a really mean combo for in-game use. This is further compounded with Ice Beam being really easy and quite early to access in RBY.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I was around when people were begging for Megas to be removed. Seeing this turnaround is hilarious to me

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
GameFreak could easily "fix" Mega Evolutions by giving a shared base Mega Evolution to everyone that adds like 5-10 to all stats.
Sort of how Dynamax is for everyone but specific Pokemon have Gigantamax.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I liked megas at first because of the novelty, but then I realized most designs are ugly and it doesn't offer anything mechanically
I hope they revamp it completely for Z-A

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
I like when they take the less popular/strong ones and make them viable, or in some cases busted. No one cared about Mawile, but slap a mega stone on it and it becomes a scary wall breaker that's surprisingly tanky.

Hell they don't even need to be "viable", make them funny/interesting. Adaptability Mega Beedrill is one part "why?" and one part "why not?".

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Wish Megas had something like the gigantimax factor so you needed to work a bit to get them in the Home Pokedex. Way it is now you upload any charizard and automatically you have mega charizards, which is useless from a catching focused perspective.

I get most of the arguments about them are from battle fans. I don't care about any stats stuff, I just think it's a shame to waste designs on non-catchable mons

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Also I'm going to say it

Gigantamax designs are infinitely superior to Mega designs

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Also I'm going to say it

Gigantamax designs are infinitely superior to Mega designs
It's super obvious when you compare the mega gen 1 starters to their gigantamax forms. The megas are just random extra spikes and details, while the gigantamax forms have an actual concept behind them

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
It's the Pokemon fanbase (and maybe even the internet) in a nutshell: hate on something endlessly and then once a few years past change your mind and say it's the greatest thing ever. I remember people were even saying how good SWSH was after SV came out lol. Now we have all the Kalos fans out in droves saying how good XY were, but at the time everyone was saying it was really mediocre (and it was mediocre imo).

I said a bunch of times when Z-A was announced that I don't like Megas, so I won't repeat myself much. I will however continue to hate the mechanic. Z-A is probably going to screw over a bunch more Pokemon that didn't need to be screwed over. I guess we'll see if they make any changes to how it works or which Pokemon can use it that softens my harsh view on it.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
It's the Pokemon fanbase (and maybe even the internet) in a nutshell: hate on something endlessly and then once a few years past change your mind and say it's the greatest thing ever. I remember people were even saying how good SWSH was after SV came out lol. Now we have all the Kalos fans out in droves saying how good XY were, but at the time everyone was saying it was really mediocre (and it was mediocre imo).

I said a bunch of times when Z-A was announced that I don't like Megas, so I won't repeat myself much. I will however continue to hate the mechanic. Z-A is probably going to screw over a bunch more Pokemon that didn't need to be screwed over. I guess we'll see if they make any changes to how it works or which Pokemon can use it that softens my harsh view on it.
hopefully an acknowledgement of how they are mostly tied to kalos will prevent any mons that can use a real evo from being screwed over by a mega, I see megas at best making a comeback in gen X so they get another run at comp and a first run for the new ones, but I do not see them making any new megas in gen x or continuing to return afterwards

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
I wish Sun/Moon got the love X/Y gets from the fanbase.

Those games were so much better (as a whole), but they often get placed near the bottom of tierlists i see online.

Alola was the last time (except Legends) where i felt like the region was an actual region rather than a collection of setpieces that fit the theme of the region. I can't really put it in words, but the region of Alola felt "authentic" to me.

Neither Galar, nor Paldea or even Kalos gave me that feeling. Sure, they had setpieces that made me go "Oh thats supposed to be that real life thing!", but it didn't really feel like regions where people actually lived in, you know?

Hisui had it easier in that regard because it had one single town to deal with, so making this one belivable was easy. But then again, it had even people outside of those that one town, because of course there would be people even outside of that one town.

Anyway, the point is, Alola is an underappreciated Region, and so are the games taking place in them

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak should just pull the trigger on Mega Raichu

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Those games were so much better (as a whole), but they often get placed near the bottom of tierlists i see online.

Alola was the last time (except Legends) where i felt like the region was an actual region rather than a collection of setpieces that fit the theme of the region. I can't really put it in words, but the region of Alola felt "authentic" to me.

Neither Galar, nor Paldea or even Kalos gave me that feeling. Sure, they had setpieces that made me go "Oh thats supposed to be that real life thing!", but it didn't really feel like regions where people actually lived in, you know?

Hisui had it easier in that regard because it had one single town to deal with, so making this one belivable was easy. But then again, it had even people outside of those that one town, because of course there would be people even outside of that one town.

Anyway, the point is, Alola is an underappreciated Region, and so are the games taking place in them
I'm the biggest Gen 7 stan, but Alola is easily more popular than Kalos. I don't see XY getting the same amount of love, although they got more attention after Z-A's announcement of course

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
hopefully an acknowledgement of how they are mostly tied to kalos will prevent any mons that can use a real evo from being screwed over by a mega, I see megas at best making a comeback in gen X so they get another run at comp and a first run for the new ones, but I do not see them making any new megas in gen x or continuing to return afterwards

If there's new ones in Z-A they will for sure return in Gen 10. Gen 10 looking likely to be a 30th anniversary celebration game also makes it even more likely they're included.

They just need to stop giving them to Pokemon that realistically could (or should) have evolved instead (or alternatively start giving them to Pokemon that can already evolve to tell us "Pokemon with Megas can still evolve one day" lol).

I loved the Alola games. Of course they have their problems, but they're probably up there as one of my favourites generations (definitely one of my favourite regions). The whole tropical holiday region vibe and how they went all on it was great. The locations, the music and even lots of the Pokemon sold it perfectly.

It does feel a little smaller than I'd like and could have used one more island, or just further expand on the existing areas like the travertines or the golf course or the volcano, but over all I enjoyed it.

Kalos, Galar and Paldea are flat and bland. I was never interested in returning to Kalos, but at least Z-A is going to attempt something new with the single city setting.

Sep 5, 2021
GameFreak could easily "fix" Mega Evolutions by giving a shared base Mega Evolution to everyone that adds like 5-10 to all stats.
Sort of how Dynamax is for everyone but specific Pokemon have Gigantamax.

I agree with you, I've already commented something similar more than once here on this forum:

"For me the best gimmick is Mega Evolution, but the main problem with Megas is that only some Pokemons have them, they could add a generic stone that when you equip any pokemon it gets the appearance of an aura around it equal to the Totems and a +20 increase in each stat minus HP, adding up to +100. Like Dynamax that any Pokemon can use, while Mega with appearance changes and other specific modifications (types, abilities and which stat increase specifically) would be the special version like Gigantamax.

Another problem with Mega is that all Pokemon get +100, including the strongest and the weakest, a way to balance this out would be if Pokemon with 400-500 base stat total got a 150/200 boost, and those with less than 400 have an even greater increase."

I wanted to like Gen 7 so bad but that are an absolute nightmare to play through due to frequency of characters constantly stopping to gameplay flow to speak with you or tutorialize something.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
XY is better as a traditional Pokemon experience, but SM is a lot more interesting overall. It unfortunately has awful railroading and tutorials though.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I maintain SM is undefeated on a first playthrough, but its the worst pokemon game to replay. Gen 7 is still in my top 3 because of that 1st playthrough(and USUM being really fun for challenge runs)