• Clearly Poképark 3

Votes: 46 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
When its less than a year out then yea, theyre kinda stuck with the date they chose since every other part was moving around that date. That being said if GF said "hey we're gonna need 5 years till we get gen 9 out" then TPC will work around that.
I have a feeling that's exactly what they're doing this time, hence the anime is no longer focusing on a single region.
I can see the DP remakes next year or 2022 plus DLC, and then Gen 9 in 2023/2024.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
In this case its entirely self inflicted since GF refuses to staff up properly for HD development.
Maybe not in the middle of development, because it takes some resources and time to train them to do so, under a tight schedule.

At least they are hiring new candidates so we may start to see some new development projects in the works.

ZSharoark

Jun 6, 2020
All the Ishira hints on background of Let's go Johto is so visible then could be a bait, if is really that i gonna love it and buy on launch date which i belive it was this year, to fight with halo and spiderman but you guys already know what the fanbase really wants it is the sinnoh remakes so i hope there is two news about Let's go Johto later this year and sinnoh remakes for 2021 or 2022 who knows

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this case its entirely self inflicted since GF refuses to staff up properly for HD development.
I wouldn't say they aren't staffed properly. It's just that they're split between so many games. They're always on, at least, two games. And then they have their smaller personal projects. If they dropped the remakes (like give them to another studio, but with oversight), they'd can throw more people/time for the mainline games and their own titles

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The idea that GameFreak couldn't delay the games if they wanted to is silly, considering they did just that for Gold & Silver.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They also delayed Diamond and Pearl. Point is, if GF needed more time, they'll get it. And I'm sure Nintendo would also support the decision. TPC would just have to fill the blanks somehow, but as long as they have good timing on the delay, it might not be a problem.

Hell, we might get some interesting media out of it. Like a unique, short run cartoon series. Or more interesting spinoffs (like an adventure/VN game)

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say they aren't staffed properly. It's just that they're split between so many games. They're always on, at least, two games. And then they have their smaller personal projects. If they dropped the remakes (like give them to another studio, but with oversight), they'd can throw more people/time for the mainline games and their own titles
That's what I was going for in the post. If they made one game at a time they'd be fine. The main issue is that they like to have multiple games going on at once but dont have the team size to make sure each game has the appropriate amount of staff, hence not being properly staffed for HD dev with the methodology they like to employ

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I mean they just announced New Pokemon Snap, which is as big of an announcement you can make without being a new mainline game, yet they reserved another separate day for this announcement. DP remakes feels way too early to announce, so I've got to say Let's Go Johto is pretty likely. Mixed feelings I have - I love Johto/Gen 2 more than anything but if it's basically the same thing as the first Let's Go then meh (I'll still buy it like the shitty consumer I am).

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There won't be another mainline game this year.
The second DLC is already scheduled for November, which is when mainline games tend to release.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I want Let's Go Johto. The only post-GBC Pokemon game I've become hooked on (and completed) and not dropped early on was Pokemon HGGS.

I think in reality we'll get DP remakes.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think it might be a big Pokémon game, not mainline tho and therefore not developped by GF. They seemed to be excited about it so I am really curious.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised more than half of people are expecting Let's Go or DP remakes. When would they release? This holiday? That's right around the time Crown Tundra releases, and it seems weird to me that they would release them near the same time like that. Personally I thought doing DLC was a good idea because it would give Sword and Shield more room to breathe, but if they end up releasing another game anyway that kind of ruins that idea. So I hope it's not that...

Personally I'm hoping it's some new kind of spinoff! I'm not really into Pokken or Detective Pikachu so I hope it's a new idea.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019
I mean they just announced New Pokemon Snap, which is as big of an announcement you can make without being a new mainline game, yet they reserved another separate day for this announcement. DP remakes feels way too early to announce, so I've got to say Let's Go Johto is pretty likely. Mixed feelings I have - I love Johto/Gen 2 more than anything but if it's basically the same thing as the first Let's Go then meh (I'll still buy it like the shitty consumer I am).

Snap is not really "big"

Back then it was just another quirky spin off that managed to gain traction just by virtue of being fun and charming.

Nowadays Snap is big for the fandom but it's not as big as a game as people want to think it is (basically a big part of the quality of the game depends on the ability of the developers to script credible, cute and fun behaviors for the pokemon) It made sense to present it along with another small spin offs and leave the big announcement for an exclusive video later

PS: I love snap as much as everyone, but it was a game you could complete in a 1 day rent.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Snap is not really "big"

Back then it was just another quirky spin off that managed to gain traction just by virtue of being fun and charming.

Nowadays Snap is big for the fandom but it's not as big as a game as people want to think it is (basically a big part of the quality of the game depends on the ability of the developers to script credible, cute and fun behaviors for the pokemon) It made sense to present it along with another small spin offs and leave the big announcement for an exclusive video later

PS: I love snap as much as everyone, but it was a game you could complete in a 1 day rent.
With Snap's nostalgia, I think it is bigger than something like Mystery Dungeon or even Pokken.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Final prediction: Pokémon Company, Tencent Games and TiMi Studios announce a Pokémon MOBA on Switch and mobile, with a beta coming later this year.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it would really sell a lot, thanks to mobile we have spin off saturation and we're speaking about a game that was a niche (non stadium spin off game) within a niche (N64 game). Sure the nostalgia effect has been amplified by emulation but it still isn't big enough
the original did sell 1,5 million on n64... i could see it selling a decent amount

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The part that makes me curious is why didn't they reveal it this week ? It might be to not the spotlight from the DLC in a way even Snap couldn't. Maybe it is closer than the usual Pokémon RPG than we think ?
We have to think in a global context. Pokemon Go is not present in China and TPC wants Tencent's project to be the equivalent of Pokemon Go in that market in the sense of how much money it generates.

They were recruiting people with experience in strategy, action / adventure and multiplayer games. That sounds to me like a MOBA.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
We have to think in a global context. Pokemon Go is not present in China and TPC wants Tencent's project to be the equivalent of Pokemon Go in that market in the sense of how much money it generates.

They were recruiting people with experience in strategy, action / adventure and multiplayer games. That sounds to me like a MOBA.
Yes agreed but if the game was targetted only to the Chinese market then they would have communicated differently imo.

I think it might a Switch/mobile MOBA project, pretty much like you said but the Switch part is important.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The part that makes me curious is why didn't they reveal it this week ? It might be to not the spotlight from the DLC in a way even Snap couldn't. Maybe it is closer than the usual Pokémon RPG than we think ?
My guess would be that it's going to be a pretty meaty presentation, which wouldn't fit the previous Pokémon Presents meant to be quick and lead to the DLC release.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yes agreed but if the game was targetted only to the Chinese market then they would have communicated differently imo.

I think it might a Switch/mobile MOBA project, pretty much like you said but the Switch part is important.
MOBA have a global appeal although obviously superior in China. If the rest of the world represents 30% of the game market and China 70%, that still is a huge number.

It is like Splatoon, which is big worldwide but proportionally much more in Japan.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
The market for a traditional MMO has shrunk dramatically in the past decade. The main games will continue to expand multiplayer features like raids but I don't think there will ever be a Pokemon MMO.
Everyone would play a pokemon MMO. Also I'm not talking about a stupid WoW style MMO. I'm talking about hunting for Pokemon in first person with hundreds of other players.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Maybe there's some beta after the show and they wanted people to buy and download the DLC first.

Or as you say it is closer to the main games. I wouldn't be surprised if what they're revealing is a new itineration of the mainline games and we'd have something like

- Mobile: GO, small spinoffs
- Console: RPG, bigger spinoffs
- Both mobile and console: new big game, probably an untouched genre

And in the end there would be RPGs, GO and this new project as the three big pillars going forward.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there's some beta after the show and they wanted people to buy and download the DLC first.

Or as you say it is closer to the main games. I wouldn't be surprised if what they're revealing is a new itineration of the mainline games and we'd have something like

- Mobile: GO, small spinoffs
- Console: RPG, bigger spinoffs
- Both mobile and console: new big game, probably an untouched genre

And in the end there would be RPGs, GO and this new project as the three big pillars going forward.
Yeah if they are shadowdropping at demo/beta then it would totally make sense.

We'll find out soon enough :)

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Let's Go served a very specific need. Switch was back then a device bought mainly by an older demographic of the one aimed at by Pokémon, with lots of parents and kids sticking with the cheaper and less complex 2DS. Let's Go helped them attract a younger audience, introduce the world of Pokémon to new players who would one year later buy the new mainline entry as well. And I'm sure Nintendo didn't want to wait until late 2019 for a Pokémon game on the Switch. The game was also preceded by a huge promotional campaign around Eevee, something we aren't seeing right now with any Pokémon from Johto. For all these reasons I don't see them announcing a Let's Go Johto any time soon, I'd be pleased if they would as it would be insta buy but I don't see the purpose now. Also, the younger team at GF working on the DLC is probably the same one that would handle Let's Go Johto, with higher ranks already working on Gen 9.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't expect a Let's Go Johto, and I really don't want it. Not only because I didn't enjoy the game but because that would mean, Masuda wasn't telling the truth (lying) back in October 2019.

Also, if I recall correctly, back in an interview in 2018, Masuda was saying the plans for the future of Pokémon was the introduction of more Spin-offs. So I expect they are going to break the formula of: "new generation, remake, new generation, remake,..." that they kind of followed, and make more collaborations projects with other companies.

Anyway we can sense this announcement is the Tencent X Pokémon collaboration.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original idea of Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap was to be able to have Pokemon in 3D on N64.

In Game Cube they experimented with games closer to traditional games but after Pokemon XD they lost all interest.
well the stadium games did continue with colosseum and XD and to a certain extend it reverted back with battle revolution. but for snap there was no real successor. even on 3DS which seems to be a no brainer for a game like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.