• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will the next big project be?

• Tencent Switch / mobile game

Votes: 283 20.8%
  • Let's Go Gen 2

Votes: 446 32.7%
  • DP Remakes

Votes: 308 22.6%
  • Detective Pikachu 2

Votes: 114 8.4%
  • New spin-off for Switch

Votes: 124 9.1%
  • Pokkén Tournament 2

Votes: 41 3.0%
  • Clearly Poképark 3

Votes: 46 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
I will be disappointed if the Pearl/Diamond/Platin remake will be in Lets go style. I remember them asking if people want a potential Gen 4 remake in the "normal" or "lets go" style.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
They completely own the trademark

And if they're doing an MMO, it would be more mobile and switch slanted. Maybe with a PC version

The point is that TPC / Tencent need Nintendo approval on what platforms the games appear on. They cannot make a decision that Nintendo opposes, they can block any project.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Nintendo partially own the Pokemon IP? How would that even work? Unless it's a PC,Switch, Mobile multi-platform
Yes, those were the platforms I had in mind. Small chance for PC but there is already a Pokemon game there (TCGO) so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only give you Battle Revolution because of the battle graphics, but given the literal N64 model recycling save for some exceptions, they're in no way better than Game Freak when it comes to presentation

And don't get me started on the Gamecube games.
that's the thing, everyone always goes "but the models" despite the fact I'm not talking about the models. yea some of them are bad, but everything else is well above Sword and Shield. the accurate pokemon sizes, the flourishes of the attack animations, and the arenas (which SS is only starting to scrape as far as being fully 3d)

The point is that TPC / Tencent need Nintendo approval on what platforms the games appear on. They cannot make a decision that Nintendo opposes, they can block any project.
yea, but I don't think they will given the nature of the game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
that's the thing, everyone always goes "but the models" despite the fact I'm not talking about the models. yea some of them are bad, but everything else is well above Sword and Shield. the accurate pokemon sizes, the flourishes of the attack animations, and the arenas (which SS is only starting to scrape as far as being fully 3d)

yea, but I don't think they will given the nature of the game.
Depends what you mean by attack animations. The movements of the Pokémon? Yes, but the move effects are way better in SWSH. I agree the arenas themselves are better except the various gym stadiums which are perfectly realized compared to the rest

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends what you mean by attack animations. The movements of the Pokémon? Yes, but the move effects are way better in SWSH. I agree the arenas themselves are better except the various gym stadiums which are perfectly realized compared to the rest
I can see SS having better moves, though I guess that's up to tastes. one thing I like about BR's moves is the usage of distortion effects, camera angles, what not. the gyms in SS are great and can only mean great things in the future. they should start thinking outside the box for Gen 9. the contemporary-ness of the series is starting to wear on the aesthetics a bit. won't hurt to go a bit more fantastical with some arena designs. Spikemuth was a huge missed opportunity. a run-down city controlled by the resident gang? after Po Town, I was fuckin hyped

qV0Aw1O.png

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I can see SS having better moves, though I guess that's up to tastes. one thing I like about BR's moves is the usage of distortion effects, camera angles, what not. the gyms in SS are great and can only mean great things in the future. they should start thinking outside the box for Gen 9. the contemporary-ness of the series is starting to wear on the aesthetics a bit. won't hurt to go a bit more fantastical with some arena designs. Spikemuth was a huge missed opportunity. a run-down city controlled by the resident gang? after Po Town, I was fuckin hyped

qV0Aw1O.png
That's why I liked Alola so much. It was much more nature-driven and exotic than other regions but in a "ancient culture" kind of way instead of just "normal" nature like for example Hoenn

Jun 5, 2018

qV0Aw1O.png
The one thing gamefreak hasn't seemed to fix is blastoise using its cannons for water, I'm sure the old 3D games managed that. I do think they're improving just hope they can add more personality to the Pokemon where appropriate.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I liked Alola so much. It was much more nature-driven and exotic than other regions but in a "ancient culture" kind of way instead of just "normal" nature like for example Hoenn
it would be really cool if they introduced regional arenas for multiplayer.
  1. Silph Co.
  2. Mount Silver
  3. Sky Pillar
  4. The Distortion World
  5. Battle Subway
  6. Anistar Town
  7. Alter of the Sunne/Moone

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
it would be really cool if they introduced regional arenas for multiplayer.
  1. Silph Co.
  2. Mount Silver
  3. Sky Pillar
  4. The Distortion World
  5. Battle Subway
  6. Anistar Town
  7. Alter of the Sunne/Moone
They ALMOST did exactly that in USUM, where they made regional battle arenas... for the photo minigame lol

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, the Tencent division making the Pokemon game is responsible for Call of Duty mobile. The game is probably going to be massive but terribly uninteresting to most users here

Jun 5, 2018
Huh, the Tencent division making the Pokemon game is responsible for Call of Duty mobile. The game is probably going to be massive but terribly uninteresting to most users here
I feel like the types of people who would watch Pokemon presents/directs aren't the same audience that would heavily play mobile games (that's just my opinion can't prove it and could be wrong) so I'm holding out hope that either there's more than just that announced or the mobile game is designed to appeal to those who like RPG's and the core series in general.

if it's just another mobile Pokemon game without anything special to it I doubt they'd of bothered separating the events.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I feel like the types of people who would watch Pokemon presents/directs aren't the same audience that would heavily play mobile games (that's just my opinion can't prove it and could be wrong) so I'm holding out hope that either there's more than just that announced or the mobile game is designed to appeal to those who like RPG's and the core series in general.

if it's just another mobile Pokemon game without anything special to it I doubt they'd of bothered separating the events.
It's not going to be "just another mobile game". That is Pokemon Café.

Collaboration with Tencent aims to be as big as Pokemon Go.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
One thing about the Tencent project is that just 11 months ago they were looking for a creative director and producer, suggesting development was on a very early stage.

Is it really possible for the game to be in a state where it can be shown already?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
One thing about the Tencent project is that just 11 months ago they were looking for a creative director and producer, suggesting development was on a very early stage.

Is it really possible for the game to be in a state where it can be shown already?

Maybe enough to announce it and have an alpha/beta this year? (if that is even possible when talking about pokemon)

Jun 5, 2018
It's not going to be "just another mobile game". That is Pokemon Café.

Collaboration with Tencent aims to be as big as Pokemon Go.

I realise that Pokemon go is massive and so a second project of that magnitude might easily warrant it's own presentation but i still have a feeling we may still get a teaser for something else.

Especially if they were only looking for a creative director 11 months ago I can't imagine they will be enough to show us if it's to be a massive project.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Hmmmm this actually really confuses me then. Assuming it is purely mobile I could see a beta by the end of the year

edit: Competitive elements definitively makes me lean more towards Moba, does anyone else have any idea about what competitive mobile games top the charts?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

Maybe they just want to better highlight this partnership, since at the moment not many people know about it. And at the same time, they could provide information about this future game, maybe together with a demo. After all, considering these job listings, I would not say it is going to be released in 2020 (then maybe it isn't, I don't know how much time it takes to develop mobile MOBA games), and instead could be released next year.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Tencent is the biggest publisher in the world. I have little doubt it's that game and that they made it separate due to the scope and scale they have for this, just like the GO reveal in 2015

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
(then maybe it isn't, I don't know how much time it takes to develop mobile MOBA games)
TiMi already has all the necessary things to make a MOBA "fast". Just grab their Arena of Valor engine and make it into Pokémon (along with gameplay changes ofc). If it's a MOBA, it might be very similar to that game. Also, Arena of Valor is on Switch.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
A CCG seems possible...
apps.apple.com

‎Pokémon TCG Online

‎**AN INTERNET CONNECTION AND AN iPad WITH RETINA DISPLAY (iPad mini with Retina Display, iPad 3 or newer) ARE REQUIRED FOR USE. Generation 1 iPad, iPad 2, and the original iPad mini (without Retina Display) are not supported.** PLAY, TRADE, AND CHALLENGE OTHER PLAYERS AROUND THE WORLD Have...

Pokémon TCG Online already exists. Not very popular, but it's there. I doubt it's a card game.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
TiMi already has all the necessary things to make a MOBA "fast". Just grab their Arena of Valor engine and make it into Pokémon (along with gameplay changes ofc). If it's a MOBA, it might be very similar to that game. Also, Arena of Valor is on Switch.
I would not be surprised by a release in early 2021, indeed. Maybe they can first release it on mobile, than a few months later on Switch if they need more time for a (possibly easy) port.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
apps.apple.com

‎Pokémon TCG Online

‎**AN INTERNET CONNECTION AND AN iPad WITH RETINA DISPLAY (iPad mini with Retina Display, iPad 3 or newer) ARE REQUIRED FOR USE. Generation 1 iPad, iPad 2, and the original iPad mini (without Retina Display) are not supported.** PLAY, TRADE, AND CHALLENGE OTHER PLAYERS AROUND THE WORLD Have...

Pokémon TCG Online already exists. Not very popular, but it's there. I doubt it's a card game.
Lmfao I forgot about that

Chuck795

May 7, 2020

I doubt it. The posting was 11 months ago and we have no idea how long it took to fill that role. I'd bet at least a month or 2. So, with 9-10 months development time (maximum) I doubt Tencent has much to show. Although, Zhuge being excited makes me think it is the Tencent game.

Jun 5, 2018
It's incredibly unlikely for them to reveal a main series game before the marketing cycle of the current main series game is done.
Is it likely to be solely focused on a single game for this next Pokemon presents? With the game not having had a years development time so far I'd of though it possible they had more than a single announcement.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I know. I had just kinda fooled myself into believing they could release a Let's Go game and not cut into sales of the Expansion Pass but I realize it's just me being a bit too hyped on Pokémon lately.

I mean, the first Let's Go, even though it was a mainline game, was being catered to a different audience of Pokemon fans. I could absolutely see them revealing Let's Go Johto, but not Diamond & Pearl remakes.

Jun 5, 2018
I mean, the first Let's Go, even though it was a mainline game, was being catered to a different audience of Pokemon fans. I could absolutely see them revealing Let's Go Johto, but not Diamond & Pearl remakes.
It's something that would sell really well and wouldn't need anything more than a title to get those interested in the concept hyped, unfortunately I don't think they'd announce a separate conference just for a let's go sequel but I refuse to completely give up hope that they may include it as a last second teaser until the very end.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot Take Time

for a game that was stated to be "for a different audience", Let's Go didn't really succeed at that. it was literally the same pokemon game, the only difference being you couldn't fight wild pokemon

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It can be a CGI trailer and some early concepts of the Tencent game even though it doesn't have gameplay to show yet.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hot Take Time

for a game that was stated to be "for a different audience", Let's Go didn't really succeed at that. it was literally the same pokemon game, the only difference being you couldn't fight wild pokemon
That's why Masuda said there are no plans for another Let's Go game lol

It sold well but didn't really do what it was supposed to

Status
Not open for further replies.