DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I love the look of the new starters. Love the naming convention too, glad we are back to colors.

The "open world-ness"(?) of it looked interesting. I really hope this is a combo of Arceus and Mainline. I really hope the catching mechanic is the same as Arceus, but it probably isnt. The performance didnt look great.. but they have some time. I can see some of the same issues from Arceus popping up in the trailer, so hopefully they iron that out.

Gonna be interesting to learn more about this and see what they took from Arceus, if anything. Its gonna be really hard for me to go back to old-style when we just got exposed to the best pokemon game in 30 years... but Ill of course be checking it out regardless.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Yeah and as a longtime Pokemon fan, I actually hope this is the case. Legends was a wonderful experiment but the mainline Pokemon games also have a large competitive scene that is based on the traditional battle system. I know the battle system gets a lot of hate in the story playthroughs, but it is an extremely deep turn-based system in competitive. Gamefreak won't want to abandon that part of the fan base completely. I expect breeding, IVs/EVs to return as well

Agreed on the competitive scene. It's great and requires no big overhaul. But you can still have that and have a leveling system that provides an actual challenge. Competitive multiplayer is all pegged to level 50 anyway. The issue with Sword and Shield was that the single player campaign sucked. Nothing story. Zero challenge. Boring world.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I WOULD DIE FOR FUECOCO.

Literally the best starter design since Bulbasaur. The entire trio is excellent.

The MCs on the other hand are stupid little twerps. I don't understand the insane reluctance of the PKMN Co. to let us have adult avatars.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Yeah and as a longtime Pokemon fan, I actually hope this is the case. Legends was a wonderful experiment but the mainline Pokemon games also have a large competitive scene that is based on the traditional battle system. I know the battle system gets a lot of hate in the story playthroughs, but it is an extremely deep turn-based system in competitive. Gamefreak won't want to abandon that part of the fan base completely. I expect breeding, IVs/EVs to return as well

If that's the case then I hope EVs can be imputed manually like the system in Arceus and IVs can be easily overwritten. There's a reason the competitive scene has almost always gravitated towards hacking/online simulators.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The MCs on the other hand are stupid little twerps. I don't understand the insane reluctance of the PKMN Co. to let us have adult avatars.

The game is marketed towards children, with the focus of a lot (all?) of the games being that you're a kid setting off on your very first Pokemon Adventure. As such they're never going to let us play as anything older than a teenager.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Finally caught up. So I could go on about the graphics but thats beating a dead horse (we just gotta get used to it).

I am in love with Fuecoco the fire croc starter it looks so good imo. I am also looking forward extremely to seeing more specifically the open worldness and how the story and such will progress and such

All in all definitely hyped for this, of course WAY too soon to say which version I'll be getting

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be a hard year in my wallet for games, this, Kirby, horizon, Elden ring, bayonetta, BOTW 2, GOW, and it's still February. No telling what will get announced later on.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Those are the worst looking default trainers to this day, I know you'll be able to customize but it would be cool to get brown skinned default characters in the promotional material of a pokemon game

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics look much better than legends. Starters are easily my favorite in years. MCs look bad though.

If this plays like legends, hype! But I think it's gonna play like the wild area in Sw/Sh

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
As someone who played Arceus I have no idea what you're talking about. There was a total of 1 challenging fight in that game and it was literally the last postgame battle.

Expect SV to be SwSh tier brain dead.

You had to at least have brain activity to progress in Arceus. Sword and Shield can easily be defeated with just the starter Pokemon, you are constantly overleveled and everyone is both weak and dumb.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuecoco is adorable and I love a goofy starter, but I'm ready for it to evolve into some terrible anthro creature Inteleon/Delphox-style and crush my dreams

Also, I do hope this has the "traditional" battle style... but if it does, it'll probably be the same braindead difficulty so lol

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Agreed on the competitive scene. It's great and requires no big overhaul. But you can still have that and have a leveling system that provides an actual challenge. Competitive multiplayer is all pegged to level 50 anyway. The issue with Sword and Shield was that the single player campaign sucked. Nothing story. Zero challenge. Boring world.
Ohh I agree completely on the single-player story and leveling of Sw/Sh. I hope they use the better leveling of L:A. But I do think the battle system will be the same as Sw/Sh. We'll probably have some unique gimmick (this game's version of Megas/Z-moves or Dynamaxing) but it will be the turn-based system of the old games.

One thing I'm curious about is whether Raid Battles will return given how big of a cooperative multiplayer base they have built-up in Sw/Sh

If that's the case then I hope EVs can be imputed manually like the system in Arceus and IVs can be easily overwritten. There's a reason the competitive scene has almost always gravitated towards hacking/online simulators.
I do hope they streamline it a little as well, but my expectation is for the traditional IV system (breeding, natures, Hyper Training, etc) to return. EVs on the other hand can be made much easier to max out than the methods in SwSh. But I do think the EV caps (like how you can max out two stats at the most) will return. They're too central to the traditional battle system that the competitive scene has been using, something that has been the same since Gen 3

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving this right now, grinning ear to ear. I've been hoping for a game based on a Spanish speaking country for a while now.
They even kept the starter Pokemon names in Spanish for the English release, I love it.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice that a lot of the Pokemon in the trailer were in Legends Arceus? Really hoping most, if not all of the Pokemon and forms from that game are in. Could also speak to the idea that PLA and SV are sister games.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
You had to at least have brain activity to progress in Arceus. Sword and Shield can easily be defeated with just the starter Pokemon, you are constantly overleveled and everyone is both weak and dumb.

Yes but not because of the trainer battles. The catching/action gameplay is more involved, but trainer battles are still pretty mindless as usual. It's not a huge deal since trainer battles are so uncommon in Arceus anyway, but it'll be more apparent how nothing has changed when we go back to a game where battles are the focus.

Is this legit or parody? If legit, holy shit

harddrive.net is a parody site.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice that a lot of the Pokemon in the trailer were in Legends Arceus? Really hoping most, if not all of the Pokemon and forms from that game are in.
At the very least I expect all of the new evos and forms to be in. It'd be weird to introduce them in a sub series and not have them available in the next traditional game.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
I really really hope that the Pokemon that are still not obtainable on the Switch make a comeback in SV. BDSP was great for having a lot of Pokemon back from Dexit purgatory, but there's still a lot of Pokemon from Gens 5-7 that haven't seen the light of day in a long time. e.g. Skiddo was last catchable in X/Y, Blitzle and Deerling in ORAS. And that's if you want Deerling-Spring. If you want the other Deerling forms, you have to go back to Black 2/White 2!

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The game is marketed towards children, with the focus of a lot (all?) of the games being that you're a kid setting off on your very first Pokemon Adventure. As such they're never going to let us play as anything older than a teenager.
Yet the fan base is all ages, and I'd argue that it's more adults than children. Everyone is always harping on the series to progress/modernize, and this is one of the biggest remaining hurdles to that.

Also, I don't think young Pokémon players would recoil at the option of an adult MC. When I was a kid, I had no problem at all playing games starring adult characters. For me it was preferable even.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me or do the games logos look like they were put together in like 5 minutes?

I like that we're back on colours again though.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I really, really, really hope there's no "signature new battle mechanic that gets removed the next generation" in this game. Pokemon games don't need them to sell.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
That Crocodile is an apple.
I don't care how the trainers look because you can customize anyways, just hope they have better hair.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
The only take I have is that these are the worst looking starters ever.

I like the names tho. I wonder if we're going for a Spanish region this time. That'd be cool.

sprigatito= gatito
fuecoco = fuego
quaxly = idfk

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Also the music track that is playing during the reveal trailer is so good 🔥
I am looking forward to the music in the game as Go Ichinose never miss.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
God I hope this game doesn't feel rushed and incomplete. I was more than happy to wait an extra year for Gen IX. Let's hope Game Freak's recent hiring spree will pay off.

Going for Fuecoco so far, but always really depends on final evolution.

Also let me customize early so I don't have to play as that dweeb for long, lol.

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Reeeaally wish they would have taken another year. I feel like Game Freak has never completely recovered from the simultaneous move to 3D and 3-year gaps between gens. Fuecoco is very good tho.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like the first time in quite a few generations where the starters got revealed first instead of the inevitably over designed legendaries, please do this more often.

I really like the cat and croc, though I kinda expect the croc to go full dino judging by even its current form, I hope not, we already had Feraligatr do that.
Duck is...fine, I just really don't like repeats where we even have the same typing as previous ducks.

In any case these starters are already better than Galar, my country got done dirty with those three.