• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
People are too quick about calling the MC designs bad but then again this is the place that calls XB2 characters designs garbage despite those getting tons of fanart years later without being a F2P gacha game.
Tbh...the reasn why XB2 art is considered bad by some is cuz of the sexualised designs and lets not be naive and think sexualised designs dont generate a crap tone of fan art SFW and NSFW

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 8, 2019:

FMnZJqdXwAIfCQc

Gen 9, 2022:

FMnZJrBXEAoOGDV

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all do realize that Scarlet and Violet is by an entirely different team than the Arceus team right?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Pokemon games have to space out themselves more right? Arceus two months after BDSP, and in the same year gen 9? Seems overly fast.
Y'all do realize that Scarlet and Violet is by an entirely different team than the Arceus team right?
Of course, but even something like CoD is yearly. Giving products their time on the market without overlap isnt a bad thing. Plus it helps with giving games longer dev times and avoiding a rushed product.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I love the setting, starters, everything, but... the protagonists look real bad and I don't mean their outfits. The character models look less anime and like something you'd see in a shovelware game on the Wii or DS. I genuinely can't get excited for this game if they're ditching the anime look for whatever the fresh hell this new aesthetic is.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I hope they keep from Arceus is the increased difficulty.

Granted it's not a difficult game, by any means. But compared to falling asleep while mashing the A button and steamrolling everything in SwSh, it was a massive improvement. Part of the problem in previous main gen games though, especially in the early game, is how much stronger higher level Pokemon are. In SwSh if you had a level 20 Pokemon up against a level 10 Pokemon, the level 20 mon would win 95% of the time, regardless of type. That's why over leveling was such a huge problem to begin with. In Arceus that felt a lot more toned down, so even if you were leveled higher, it didn't feel like there was such a huge gap and the game maintained some semblance of difficulty.

But Arceus also benefited from not having to worry about competitive play and balance, and SV won't have that luxury.

Gen 8, 2019:

FMnZJqdXwAIfCQc

Gen 9, 2022:

FMnZJrBXEAoOGDV

It's actually very impressive.

The Wild Area in SwSh was like "baby's first 3D environment." It was literally Game Freak's first crack at a 3D environment with proper camera control. And it was awful.

Only 3 years later, and SV looks like a true, modern open world style game.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I hope the region isn't an island but does actually connect to Kalos, even if you can't go there. I guess this is technically the first time since GS that the region is connected to another in terms of the real world.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Looks just as unappealing as Arceus. And the image quality is straight from hell.
Can't they just go back to clean and cute 2D graphics? Or build their 3D graphics around the capabilities of the Switch?
This shit is so ugly and distracting.
The new starters are all cool though.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Can someone explain the starter names to me? Where's my double entendre Pokemon. I'm missing something really obvious aren't I?

Gatito = Kitten
Sprig = Would guess it's from Spriggan, the mythological fairy? Which may mean final form would be grass/fairy.

Fue = Fuego aka Fire
Coco = Just Croco without an r? :p

Quax = Quack
Ly = No idea lmao

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
No? BDSP was a whole ass different company, and Arceus (AFAIK) was is a different team.
Im not talking about short dev times. Arceus by releasing so soon after BDSP cuts into its legs, and gen 9 will probably do the same to Arceus. Plus potential franchise fatigue. The potential for stuff like Legends Arceus DLC for example is kinda snuffed out.

Giving your products time on the market with no overlap isnt a bad idea. Even CoD doesnt do anything beyond yearly.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Can someone explain the starter names to me? Where's my double entendre Pokemon. I'm missing something really obvious aren't I?
Since the inspiration for the region is Spain, the names are pretty Spanish-inspired.
Sprig (like...a sprig of parsley) + gatito (Spanish for kitten) = Sprigatito
Fuego (fire) + Cocodrilo (crocodile) = Fuecoco
...uhh... Quack (the sound a duck makes) = Quaxly? I'm not sure if there's any particular Spanish influence on this one or not.

I'm expecting a lot of Spanish references in the names of new pokemon from the region, going from this.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Im not talking about short dev times. Arceus by releasing so soon after BDSP cuts into its legs, and gen 9 will probably do the same to Arceus. Plus potential franchise fatigue.

Giving your products time on the market with no overlap isnt a bad idea. Even CoD doesnt do anything beyond yearly.

Arceus is not a game that is going to do much past one year. It has no online component other than trading. They clearly knew this as well.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
These are lies, I refuse to accept this gastly lighting going on here, no matter how wrong I almost certainly am

Maybe I'm getting muddled with Gen 6, now surely, SURELY that one was just X Deer and Y bird in CGI beforehand.
Or am I now getting muddled with Primal Gen 3 remakes stuff (which didn't have much new to show but still)

Look let's just instead all agree it's nice the box legendaries aren't stinking up the starter reveals then.
Gen 6 was in game starters revealed before cgi legendaries, in the same trailer

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I was referring to the 3d model - the characters look more toy-like
TGzFQYX.png

See I think the new model is vastly superior to SwSh and Legends. The shading and normal maps and whatnot look more impressive to me than the relatively flatness of the others. Not to mention the expression is a lot less O.O

Though I do understand why some will prefer the cel-shaded style.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Arceus is not a game that is going to do much past one year. It has no online component other than trading. They clearly knew this as well.
Sure, but what about BDSP? Even if Arceus wont have the typical long legs, did they think BDSP would share the same fate? Or that the games have different audiences? Arceus two months after BDSP kinda baffled me, even more now that gen 9 is coming the later in the year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
See I think the new model is vastly superior to SwSh and Legends. The shading and normal maps and whatnot look more impressive to me than the relatively flatness of the others. Not to mention the expression is a lot less O.O

Though I do understand why some will prefer the cel-shaded style.
I'd say that technically the new model looks indeed better.

My problem, personally, is the artstyle they picked, which is a separate thing and I'm not a big fan of.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Gatito = Kitten
Sprig = Would guess it's from Spriggan, the mythological fairy? Which may mean final form would be grass/fairy.

Fue = Fuego aka Fire

Quax = Quack
Ly = No idea lmao

Is Fuecoco pronounced "Fyoo Coco" or "Fway Coco"?

And for the cat, is it "Sprig Gah Tee Toh"?

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I was like "I bet there are some cool reaction videos!" Before watching a couple and remembering that poketubers are cringe

Jimmy Whetzel is like the only one I genuinely like watching for Pokemon reactions and new games, although I tune out when it becomes all shiny hunting. He's not really on YouTube much though, so you gotta catch the streams while they're on twitch.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played a Pokémon game since OG Diamond, wasn't really interested in PLA but this might be what I was looking for.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Gatito = Kitten

Fue = Fuego aka Fire

Quax = Quack
Ly = No idea lmao

Quaxly makes me think of Don Quixote, which is a Spanish novel. Curious if it becomes water fighting.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
I love the starters. I have always prefered Pokemon that actually looks like and are based on real animals. The graphics hurts my eyes, though. An upgraded Switch can't come soon enough.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So this is from the official website:

You'll be able to experience the true joy of the Pokémon series—battling against wild Pokémon in order to catch them—now in an open-world game that players of any age can enjoy.

Maybe I'm reading too literally into this, but it sounds like maybe just being able to creep up on a Pokemon and throw a Pokeball to catch it, like in Legends Arceus, won't be possible in this game?

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Sure, but what about BDSP? Even if Arceus wont have the typical long legs, did they think BDSP would share the same fate? Or that the games have different audiences? Arceus two months after BDSP kinda baffled me, even more now that gen 9 is coming the later in the year.

Yes? That's why they specifically said VGC will remain in Sword and Shield. BDSP is a faithful remake by a third party developer.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
This is what SWSH should have looked like.
NOW this looks great.
The character models look weirdly ghibli ish but 3D.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The Wild Area in SwSh was like "baby's first 3D environment." It was literally Game Freak's first crack at a 3D environment with proper camera control. And it was awful.

Only 3 years later, and SV looks like a true, modern open world style game.

Yeah lets not get that far ahead of ourselves here

Im always worried about starter final forms since they historically go into weird and unexpected places that seem unnecessary. I never cared for a soccer player rabbit or spy chameleon-person

I think they just made scorbunny a football rabbit for that pyro ball animation. Which was indeed pretty cool so i'll allow it

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The best part is that this time we won't get the weird spin-offs talks like we did for Legends lol

Jan 4, 2018
I actually really like the new art style for the trainer, I welcome it wholeheartedly. Don't understand the dislike besides 'but my anime'

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yes? That's why they specifically said VGC will remain in Sword and Shield. BDSP is a faithful remake by a third party developer.
It sold pretty much like a mainline game though. Idk, I just think that when your games sell that much, maybe you should space out release by at least 6 months or so to maximize potential.

Then again, I recognize that the pokemon audience is kinda like the marvel movie audience, even if they get swamped with releases they wont complain at all and play all of them.