WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hopeful they can pull off the open world but I'm skeptical. Arceus is a great step forward but even that game requires a Monster Hunter design with its world and loading screens separating zones and the hub town. And still the performance isn't perfect. So how are they gonna pull off a "seamless" open world? Unless they could have done it with Arceus but just chose not to or something.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly shocked that it's coming this soon. I do like the starters better than Gen 8 thus far.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I was referring to the 3d model - the characters look more toy-like
TGzFQYX.png
The new models look much better to me. This game is the best looking mainline Pokemon game by a longshot.
Selling like a mainline game kind of goes against your argument though lol
Im arguing they are cutting legs short, not that first week sales arent up to par. (Though I will say that I think that if Arceus launched a month or two later, first week sales would probably be higher than its sales right now, even if I have no evidence for that claim haha).

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Have not played a pokemon since gold, and yep, this is a day 1 for sure. Also, set in (S)Pain

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I love the fire starter. I've always gone fire and this is no exception.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I went back to Sword and Shield the other day after playing Legends Arceus the last few weeks, and my God, I'm going to lose it if they ditch the seamless transitions for the overworld battles/catches. The traditional battle system feels sooooo slow now.

Dec 5, 2017
I'm hopeful they can pull off the open world but I'm skeptical. Arceus is a great step forward but even that game requires a Monster Hunter design with its world and loading screens separating zones and the hub town. And still the performance isn't perfect. So how are they gonna pull off a "seamless" open world? Unless they could have done it with Arceus but just chose not to or something.

Keeping it separated allows for much easier and faster map design. No concern has to be spent on making the pieces fit. If legends was spun off based off of gen 9 tech, I could see why they did it that way.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah lets not get that far ahead of ourselves here
I'm referring more to design, not visuals.

Obviously I still need to see more, but from what was in the trailer to the announcement referring to the world as seamless, it seems like a massive leap forward in terms of design compared to where they were at 3 years ago.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Very exciting news!

It's funny, I'm not typically one to remember dates / lengths of time between games but I was just thinking about the Pokemon TCG and how we probably only have about 1-4 more expansions of that before they are due to switch to the next generation of games, and yet I wasn't really thinking we'd actually see the next generation today. I hope that they are taking the time that they need, but nevertheless this is a welcome surprise!
Pokemon always seems to inspire a lot of toxicity in the fanbase. While the series may not always go the direction I wish it to, there has always been something to make me smile. With Pokemon Legends being a welcome surprise, I think we have a lot to look forward to.

Also, preemptively I'm going to put myself on Team Fuecoco but we'll have to see how final forms shake out. : )

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I went back to Sword and Shield the other day after playing Legends Arceus the last few weeks, and my God, I'm going to lose it if they ditch the seamless transitions for the overworld battles/catches. The traditional battle system feels sooooo slow now.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced this is the case yet.

Open world, yes. Legends Arceus catching/battling mechanics? Not clear yet.

It's going to be a huge step backwards if we literally have to run into the Pokemon in the world in order to trigger the separate battle/caching system.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't looked too much into the reveal just yet but I seriously hate those trainer designs. Just awful.

Last edited:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference between the Arceus and Scarlet/Violet teams?
Would think that most of the creative leads at least are different since they probably started pretty quickly between each other, but a lot of games shuffle around the body of staff towards higher priority objectives depending on necessity. Having fully separate siloed teams seems like a thing of the past.

I don't know shit about game development though.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The MCs are indeed a tad too safe even if they look nice. And there's bound to be customization in any case.

I love that the two schools/teams idea they seem to be going for. As already said, they might be inspired by oranges and grapes (we see that in the characters' colours and coats of arms):
Probably there's going to be two teams/sides, one representing Oranges, and another Grapes

lBvKu3m.png
LGQQ9JN.png
GBJy8Ai.png

...uhh... Quack (the sound a duck makes) = Quaxly? I'm not sure if there's any particular Spanish influence on this one or not.
Quaxly is kinda reminiscent of Don Quixote as others mentioned. Wouldn't bet on it, but I'd love if Quaxly's last evo is based on him:
Don-Quijote.jpg

However, Sirfetch'd kinda has the "lance and shield wielding bird" niche covered :P

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Gible and Fuecoco are now round bois sibling.
Also French names are more direct for the inspiration than the English ones.

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
I like it! I just finished PLA and loved it, so having a full new generation with the same style is straight FIRE for me.

Only thing..... Is that a Drifloon I see? LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE YOU DEMON.

Still scarred from PLA.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Very weird news to see but I guess I'll take it. Really was expecting a tease for this at most with a focus on Arceus DLC being announced/roadmapped. I guess there isn't going to be any?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
So this is from the official website:

Maybe I'm reading too literally into this, but it sounds like maybe just being able to creep up on a Pokemon and throw a Pokeball to catch it, like in Legends Arceus, won't be possible in this game?
Hmmmm

I'm afraid this game will take some step backs from how seamless Arceus makes things.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Quaxly is kinda reminiscent of Don Quixote as others mentioned. Wouldn't bet on it, but I'd love if Quaxly's last evo is based on him:
Don-Quijote.jpg

However, Sirfetch'd kinda has the "lance and shield wielding bird" niche covered :P
My hopes: Quaxly becomes Water/Fairy and the final evolution is stated to have a rivalry with a Dragon-type pokemon that happens to have some sort of windmill motif.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I like the visual enhancements of the MC models, looking more detailed and less flat, but they seem less fitting for Pokemon than any other new MCs

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
dP3jN8L.png

The iconic Japanese Gen 3/4-era logo of the mainline games makes a return for the first time with Scarlet and Violet. Combined with the fact that Legends had a unique logo makes me think they want to make the distinction between "Pocket Monsters" and "Pokémon Legends" clear in the series branding.

They generally change up the logo with every generation, but that one and variations of it was used heavily, across 12 mainline games (including BDSP) as well as several spin-offs (Box, Pinball RS, XD, and more).

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
They turned Galicia and Asturias into a waterhole with seemingly not a single city/location/marker...Tells you everything really. About the only thing they could do to make me interested in a pokemon game again after decades and they messed it up

Not really interested in another piece of Japanese media where Spain is just Madrid and Barcelona

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really confused by this. Why is it uglier than both SwSh and Arceus? Is it like they tried to shove Arceus' scope into the SwSh engine? I'm confused.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Not knowing the actual title of it by now makes me think Zelda is not hitting this year lol

It's quite obvious that they intend on revealing the title alongside a full blowout of gameplay in June. It not being revealed yet has no bearing on whether it releases this year.

They could for sure do a release of this on November 18th and then Zelda on like December 9th. But yeah, it's equally likely it has shifted to early 2023.