Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
DXDFrPqXcAAbF_R.jpg

Expected

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
I could easily see a bug eevee though. I'm hoping they give us at least 2 move eeveelutions this gen. I'm rooting for a Fighting-Type and a Dragon-Type.

The entire ground work is there for Sound-Type Pokemon, Game Freak is just being stubborn or conservative. They have their own moves (27 to be exact), abilities and Pokemon based on sound. Heck they even introduced the move Throat Chop in S/M that specifically blocks sound moves for two turns and Liquid Voice that converts Sound moves to Water Moves. Game Freak is probably saving it for another generation since they recently introduced the Fairy Type though.

My recommendations would be:
Strong against - Fairy, Ghost, Electric?
Weak To - Ice, Poison
Resisted by - Ice, Flying, Ground
Resistant to - Dark, Psychic, Dragon
No immunities (outside of abilities)

The most logical type-matchups for a hypothetical Sound-type would skew the balance between types more than it would help it imo. It would make sense for Water and Steel to resist Sound, for example, as Sound are waves and waves move differently through Air and Water, thus sounds being distorted for Water-types and Steel being a common Soundproof material. Those 2 types do not need extra resistances lol It would also make sense imo for Sound to be super effective against Psychic as it wouldn't let them focus but poor Psychics can't catch a break, they've been hit left and right ever since Gen2 to the point most of the psychic-types in Smogon's OU are either Legendaries or Megas.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most logical type-matchups for a hypothetical Sound-type would skew the balance between types more than it would help it imo. It would make sense for Water and Steel to resist Sound, for example, as Sound are waves and waves move differently through Air and Water, thus sounds being distorted for Water-types and Steel being a common Soundproof material. Those 2 types do not need extra resistances lol It would also make sense imo for Sound to be super effective against Psychic as it wouldn't let them focus but poor Psychics can't catch a break, they've been hit left and right ever since Gen2 to the point most of the psychic-types in Smogon's OU are either Legendaries or Megas.
there's enough types with 18. anymore and the pool will just get further muddled. would be better to just do more with what's there, like dual type attacks

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there we have it, folks. No Pokémon in 2018. They tried to rush it through for the holiday season, I imagine, but it would appear that they realized it couldn't happen. Unfortunately, this means that the Switch will likely fall well below expectations for the fiscal year. I'm not even a Pokémon fan, but I'm kind of bummed; 2018 appears to be the sales dud we feared it would be.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Pokémon culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Rockstar where you can indefinitely delay games. If you don't release Pokémon Switch in 2018, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Pokémon community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Pokémon games, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but The Pokémon Company has alienated the whole Pokémon community with this move.

Game Freak, publicly apologize and release Diamond and Pearl remakes for 3DS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
there's enough types with 18. anymore and the pool will just get further muddled. would be better to just do more with what's there, like dual type attacks
Agree we don't need more types, I was just commenting on the problems a hypothethical Sound type could create from a balance point of view.
On dual type moves, Flying Press exists (a Flying/Fighting move) and I think it only makes calculating it's effectiveness more complicated. Moves like Freeze Dry on the other hand are more interesting to me. Freeze Dry is an Ice move that's super effective to Water, when Water usually resists Ice.

I hope that, if they ever make Dual Type moves or these type effectiveness modifiers a big thing, they don't forget they already have plenty of moves that should have them: Scald, Muddy Watter, Ancient Power, Ominous Wind, etc.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Pokémon culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Rockstar where you can indefinitely delay games. If you don't release Pokémon Switch in 2018, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Pokémon community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Pokémon games, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but The Pokémon Company has alienated the whole Pokémon community with this move.

Game Freak, publicly apologize and release Diamond and Pearl remakes for 3DS or you can kiss your business goodbye.
X3wFOny.jpg

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Well right now the movie is definitely going to be watched carefully. If Lugia gets a new forme, its definitely happening this year. If its not, then the games are coming 2019. I don't see them trying to manage Lugia, Zeraora, AND a Gen 8 Pokemon all in one movie.

As for if Lugia gets a forme, I have two guesses. If its something major akin to Giratina/Keldeo/Deoxys/Zygarde/Hoopa/Shaymin, IE unrelated to a game mechanic like the Hoenn Legendaries and Mewtwo, I think its going to be indicative of a New Game with Lugia/Ho-Oh as box Legendaries. If its the opposite, then I have no idea how or what will happen, cause Box Legenss being shilled for new Mechanics without their own games rubs me the wrong way.(Zygarde :'(

Nikachu

Jan 14, 2018
I'm back on the 2019 train folks. Let's give the boys and girls at game freak some more time to make something special for switch!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I am sure, we'll get a tidbit or somethin.

Just not seeing any major Directs happening until E3
TPC will likely do a Pokémon Direct whenever they end up revealing Gen 8. Said reveals don't usually happen during general Directs or during E3.

But even though Pokémon probably won't be revealed in a general Direct, I'd expect one more regular Direct before E3.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree we don't need more types, I was just commenting on the problems a hypothethical Sound type could create from a balance point of view.
On dual type moves, Flying Press exists (a Flying/Fighting move) and I think it only makes calculating it's effectiveness more complicated. Moves like Freeze Dry on the other hand are more interesting to me. Freeze Dry is an Ice move that's super effective to Water, when Water usually resists Ice.

I hope that, if they ever make Dual Type moves or these type effectiveness modifiers a big thing, they don't forget they already have plenty of moves that should have them: Scald, Muddy Watter, Ancient Power, Ominous Wind, etc.
both of those are very recent additions, but it's weird they didnt follow it up in Gen 7. if they dont in Gen 8, I guess we can just dump that in the "abandoned ideas" bin

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about a new type? They used Eevee to introduce fairy type, and in gold we got umbreon.

Sound type has been speculated for years and in gen 6 they gave some mechanics yo sound attacks (It would be weird with Noivern changing one of it's types)

We Leafeon and Glaceon in gen 4, a new type isn't required for Eevee to get a new evolution.

The entire ground work is there for Sound-Type Pokemon, Game Freak is just being stubborn or conservative. They have their own moves (27 to be exact), abilities and Pokemon based on sound. Heck they even introduced the move Throat Chop in S/M that specifically blocks sound moves for two turns and Liquid Voice that converts Sound moves to Water Moves. Game Freak is probably saving it for another generation since they recently introduced the Fairy Type though.

My recommendations would be:
Strong against - Fairy, Ghost, Electric?
Weak To - Ice, Poison
Resisted by - Ice, Flying, Ground
Resistant to - Dark, Psychic, Dragon
No immunities (outside of abilities)

The desire to see sound become a type is just dumb as the idea of light type, with the fan base not understanding how the series work.

Sound is just element that Pokémon can use to attack like how some can use their tail, fist, legs, teeth or claws, which is something that existed since gen 1 with growl and all Game Freak did was expand on that.

Steven is the best Pokémon Champion.

That's a weird way to spell Cynthia

Not quiiiite as good as Cynthia. I also like Lance is HG/SS too.

Top 3 for sure though. That music...

That's not how you pronounce Iris

Just to be sure, we are all in agreement that Diantha is the worse champion to ever grace the series.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
We Leafeon and Glaceon in gen 4, a new type isn't required for Eevee to get a new evolution.

The desire to see sound become a type is just dumb as the idea of light type, with the fan base not understanding how the series work.

Sound is just element that Pokémon can use to attack like how some can use their tail, fist, legs, teeth or claws, which is something that existed since gen 1 with growl and all Game Freak did was expand on that.

Just to be sure, we are all in agreement that Diantha is the worse champion to ever grace the series.
Who was that again? Steven, Blue, and Cynthia are great though.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Diantha had a cool room, theme, used a new typing, and a mega.

You don't even fight Alder the first time around. He is totally upstaged by Ghetsis.

Kukui may be the best champion honestly. It's a great conclusion to both the player character's and Kukui's stories. Also dat pose

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Cynthia had a great team. I remember facing her Spiritomb and not knowing which attack might be super effective against it. It was the first Pokemon without any weaknesses iirc.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
As I've been saying for a few days, Pokemon Company never teased any kind of game announcement and this is not where Pokemon Switch was to be shown off.

It seems like it's easier to get hyped from nothing than when we actually know something.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

You don't even fight Alder the first time around. He is totally upstaged by Ghetsis.

Kukui may be the best champion honestly. It's a great conclusion to both the player character's and Kukui's stories. Also dat pose
At least with alder, it balances out because he gets maybe the most presence of any champion in the story and he is the only champion that you know from the start.

Diantha shows up like once, while basically letting lysandre tell her that he has a super evil plan...and lets him get away.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Kukui's not really a champion, just your first challenger in Sun/Moon.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut

Fun fact, sound actually travels 4x faster through water. So I actually think there is more there to say water is weak to sound, you can kind of make a connection to shock waves from explosions that actually make it more likely to kill you from the shock wave alone so sayith mythbusters (busting the idea that jumping into the water will save you from an explosion but the shock wave will kill you deader in the water)

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I've been saying for a few days, Pokemon Company never teased any kind of game announcement and this is not where Pokemon Switch was to be shown off.

It seems like it's easier to get hyped from nothing than when we actually know something.

It's amzing how fast they move on to a new topic. You deserve a pat on the back along with Joe.

If you had to guess when would we hear word officially about Pokémon Switch?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diantha was also a huge pushover. was a pretty damn disappointing champion, trying to ride the hype of Cynthia

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

None of which she deserved, plus her having a mega is just dumb as she said that she didn't know what a mega was. Diantha has done nothing to highlight why she's the champion or worthy of having a mega stone.

And the game explains that as Alder had lost his fighting spirit since the death of his Pokémon, plus unlike Diantha Alder was at least willing to help the player stop Team Plasma and buy the player time to get the final badge, awaken the legendary Pokémon and make it to the elite 4.

Diantha was AWOL during the Team Flare climax and is to date the only champion to not offer any help to the player.

Personally I feel that Kukui is a better professor than the limp hand Sycamore.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dwebble my dude, I admire your optimism.
Don't get me wrong- there's a more than fair chance that we don't end up getting any games this year. I'm just totally baffled why people have arbitrarily decided that there's absolutely no chance because they've made up a deadline in their head and the game hasn't been revealed yet.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
Fun fact, sound actually travels 4x faster through water. So I actually think there is more there to say water is weak to sound, you can kind of make a connection to shock waves from explosions that actually make it more likely to kill you from the shock wave alone so sayith mythbusters (busting the idea that jumping into the water will save you from an explosion but the shock wave will kill you deader in the water)
huh! well that's interesting. I was under the impression it was the other way around. Thanks.

On the topic of champions. I don't think Diantha is bad and I like Alder despite him being sabotaged in his own game. His conversation with Cheren about what it actually means to be "the strongest trainer" and what to do after is one of my favorites in that game.
My vote for least favorite has to go to Lance. I mean, he is cool but being a recycled character from the previous generation with pretty much a recycled team but on lower level was PRETTY disappointing to me. It's like "they couldn't find anyone else to be Champion after Red and Blue left, so let's promote... ammm... him!".

Favorite Champion is tough. I really enjoyed SM's final battle if that counts. If not, I guess Steven and then Cynthia for me.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong- there's a more than fair chance that we don't end up getting any games this year. I'm just totally baffled why people have arbitrarily decided that there's absolutely no chance because they've made up a deadline in their head and the game hasn't been revealed yet.
I'm still thinking 2018, basing it off the anime.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I feel that Kukui is a better professor than the limp hand Sycamore.
the characters were so fucking weak (characterization-wise) in Gen 6. Sycamore and Diantha were ruined by their relationship with Lysandre and his "kill everything" ways. like, yall motherfuckers dont see this!?

Status
Not open for further replies.