• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I always thought nearly all Pokemon spinoff's were nothing more than cash-in's on the pokemon brand, which I guess is technically true. I've enjoyed some of them and I loved pokemon pinball, but I'd be lying if I said these felt like anything more than licensed games.
I mean, yes. But by that measure most spin-offs are made to cash in on a successful franchise, doesn't mean they can't be fun though.
I mean, the only reason why Snap works is because it has Pokémon in it.
Can you imagine if they had gone with the original idea of real animals? If I recall the core game was fun but it was short (haven't played in years), but I agree the fact that they are Pokémon and you are interacting with them in 3D was what made that game for me on release.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Snap only stands out because it was the first 3D pokemon game ever for N64. Even when it came out people complained all you do is "take pictures of pokemon" or that it didn't have all the pokemon.

Once the Stadium games came out Snap was forgotten. All this nostalgia for it feels like revisonist history.

I dunno, I never played the game as I didn't have N64 but I have watched a playthrough and I think what people like about it is that it offers a view of the Pokémon existing naturally in the wild.

Granted Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon has done something like that with the Pokémon naturally walking in the over world, but I have always maintain that sequel to snap can be done if the game is beefed up to be that you're filming a Pokémon documentary.

Wanted to share a thought I had about potential names for this Gen, Pokemon XY and XX, it would be a male/female version. Just a thought.

People will just confuse it with Pokémon X and Y.

A 20$ Pokemon Snap would top the eshop WW. The Pokemon brand is that strong.

If the Pokémon brand is that strong then why would they give away a product at a budget price?

It's confusing because gen 6 was Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.

And to date is one of the most dumbest naming theme that Game Freak went with.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the love that Snap is getting, I grew up with the game and it was a bore snapping through some of the Pokemon as you never got the full 151. The gameplay also gets old very fast how repetitive and shallow it is to take photos.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd assume if we are getting paired games like all previous gens we will have a theme for it but male/female seems just weird.

Once they went to B/W, X/Y, Sun/Moon it has become pretty impossible to predict, but that doesn't mean we cant!

Day/Night
Past/Future
Light/Dark
Sunrise/Sunset

There's no real way to guess, especially when we have no idea what the next gimmick will be, or the location. My top spots for location would be Australia/New Zeland, The Amazon, Madagascar.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why hasn't a mod or admin from reset era closed up shop yet? That's what I'm curious about. This thread hasn't been on topic for a few days already. Do they know something or do they simply not care and are content with us simply speculating as long as we don't make too much noise?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Game Freak has said almost every year that there isn't any reason for them to make new Pokemon Snap, because it needs to be innovative and not just the same again.

That's why they introduced the camera mode in SM, to give something to fans who want a new Snap (which they will never get).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume if we are getting paired games like all previous gens we will have a theme for it but male/female seems just weird.

Once they went to B/W, X/Y, Sun/Moon it has become pretty impossible to predict, but that doesn't mean we cant!

Day/Night
Past/Future
Light/Dark
Sunrise/Sunset

There's no real way to guess, especially when we have no idea what the next gimmick will be, or the location. My top spots for location would be Australia/New Zeland, The Amazon, Madagascar.

Pokemon Right and Pokemon Left. Your character's politics will reflect which game you chose.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why hasn't a mod or admin from reset era closed up shop yet? That's what I'm curious about. This thread hasn't been on topic for a few days already. Do they know something or do they simply not care and are content with us simply speculating as long as we don't make too much noise?

I feel like conspiracy theories about why mods haven't closed the thread are a good way to actually get it closed!

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Last time this happened we got a Direct

Ni3zIlc.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you so concerned about a topic being closed? People are talking about Pokémon. It's not that big of a deal. No one is causing harm.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
You could always ask a mod. They'll usually step in to warn us or just close it up.

They can't be everywhere or they'll be nice to us.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To keep discussion centralized and to prevent like five more threads from popping up. Stop reading too much into this, a direct isn't coming anytime soon.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure it's the latter. Basically the quarantine any other Pokemon speculation in this thread than having additional one pop up.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been new news, or did we get to 70+ pages on hype alone?

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They pretty much already do Male and Female version with the mascot Pokémon as it is with the hot colours like Red, Gold, Ruby Diamond, Black 2, Y, Sun and Ultra Sun Mascot are all either masculine in looks or have those traits with a few having their gender outright stated in the game whereas with the cooler colour like Green, Silver, Sapphire Pearl, White 2, X, Moon and Ultra Moon are all feminine in looks or have those traits.

That's why they introduced the camera mode in SM, to give something to fans who want a new Snap (which they will never get).

Yeah mode was garbage and they should have wasted their time with it as I never touched it other than the time I was forced to use it.

For once I am glad that regional features gets dropped as I will happily kick the Rotom Dex into the Alola sea.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
They pretty much already do Male and Female version with the mascot Pokémon as it is with the hot colours like Red, Gold, Ruby Diamond, Black 2, Y, Sun and Ultra Sun Mascot are all either masculine in looks or have those traits with a few having their gender outright stated in the game whereas with the cooler colour like Green, Silver, Sapphire Pearl, White 2, X, Moon and Ultra Moon are all feminine in looks or have those traits.

Sure but it's not quite the same distinction, seeing a male/female, or boy/girl branded generation would absolutely never happen. It's weird, I'm not sure how that isn't very obvious. This feels like a strange concept to argue in favor of.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
As some of you might remember, the upcoming Pokemon game will use Maya for animation. There seems to be exactly one game for Switch using Maya, which is Overcooked

https://twitter.com/Overcookedgame/status/890605693962563589

It being a 2 men indie game from 2016, I would expect Pokemon to look EXACTLY like that.

To be slightly serious, Era's impressions of the game are rather positive.

Maya is a 3d modeling/animation software. The animations and models are created within it, then exported to other game engines. It is not an engine on its own. Games don't "use" Maya in the same way games don't "use" Photoshop.

Overcooked, for example, is Unity - it doesn't matter where the assets were created or with what.

Chances are, it will be their in-house engine ported to the switch, or hopefully something with Unreal engine. We saw a few job openings for artists and designers working for them with familiarity with Unreal's shader system, with also a screenshot of the Unreal shader editor and a Pikachu texture on it.

While not conclusive, it does open the door to possibilities that they are looking at external engines.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like conspiracy theories about why mods haven't closed the thread are a good way to actually get it closed!

Why are you so concerned about a topic being closed? People are talking about Pokémon. It's not that big of a deal. No one is causing harm.

You could always ask a mod. They'll usually step in to warn us or just close it up.

They can't be everywhere or they'll be nice to us.

I'm sure it's the latter. Basically the quarantine any other Pokemon speculation in this thread than having additional one pop up.

I was more curious then anything else. I've seen topics where one post went off subject and general warnings were handed out and other threads that were simply closed once info was revealed false.

Anyway don't care either way. I'll keep checking back to see if anything of worth is rumored or leaked.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maya is a 3d modeling/animation software. The animations and models are created within it, then exported to other game engines. It is not an engine on its own. Games don't "use" Maya in the same way games don't "use" Photoshop.

Overcooked, for example, is Unity - it doesn't matter where the assets were created or with what.

Chances are, it will be their in-house engine ported to the switch, or hopefully something with Unreal engine. We saw a few job openings for artists and designers working for them with familiarity with Unreal's shader system, with also a screenshot of the Unreal shader editor and a Pikachu texture on it.

While not conclusive, it does open the door to possibilities that they are looking at external engines.
I think he was joking

hard to say these days

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was more curious then anything else. I've seen topics where one post went off subject and general warnings were handed out and other threads that were simply closed once info was revealed false.

Anyway don't care either way. I'll keep checking back to see if anything of worth is rumored or leaked.

I think it's just the case that us Nintendo folk are a bit crazy in a kind of harmless way. In other threads, going OT could get political or otherwise kind of nasty. In threads like this, we kind of just talk about things that are vaguely related to the OP and it keeps extra threads from being made. It's only when we descend into non-conversational madness that things really stand out.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Afaik there's also no info on what Ambrella(Pokemon Dash, Rumble) and Genius Sonority(Pokemon Colosseum, XD, Shuffle) are currently working on.
Genius Sonority got downsized years ago. Even though it's been confirmed that Shuffle updates will stop, I foresee most Pokemon spin-offs going F2P from now on other than the big ones (Pokken/Mystery Dungeon).

Ambrella as already mentioned is basically bringing the Rumble series to mobile, and Creatures doesn't develop much games anymore and just assist with other areas of Pokemon. Detective Pikachu is their first title since Pokepark 2 in 2011.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genius Sonority got downsized years ago. Even though it's been confirmed that Shuffle updates will stop, I foresee most Pokemon spin-offs going F2P from now on other than the big ones (Pokken/Mystery Dungeon).

Ambrella as already mentioned is basically bring the Rumble series to mobile, and Creatures doesn't develop much games anymore and just assist with other areas of Pokemon. Detective Pikachu is their first title since Pokepark 2 in 2011.
Creatures has some Unreal Engine game in the works, so they probably aren't don't with Game development

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
"Evidence" for a Direct next week:

-There's a Kirby Star Allies demo coming.
-Emily says we'll hear about South Park FBH on Switch very soon.
-Bethesda says we'll hear more about Wolfenstein on Switch soon as well.
-Switch's 1st anniversary is next week.

That's...it. I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.