• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm like 84 years late, but I totally forgot games are localized lol As a Spanish speaker, Pokémon Espada y Pokémon Escudo sound so lame x'D is it the same for English speakers with Sword/Shield ?

Logos-juegos_1222387765_135228_1440x600.jpg

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm liking the starter designs more and more with each passing hour. I'm still pretty much locked in to Grookey as a grass-type loyalist, but I also really like Sobble. I like Scorbunny's design too but I can't see its later forms being that exciting.

Chuche

Feb 24, 2019
I've been seeing a lot of complaints about a lineal story due to the map shape.

I think that the form of fhe map doesn't matter to perform a lineal history, you only take a look to Alola's Map... For me one of the most lineal histories, undoubtedly.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Meltan is coming up in the anime. I bet it will be officially revealed as a galar pokemon. By the end of the episode, kukui will tell ash where its from and it gers ash to want to eventually go there.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing a lot of complaints about a lineal story due to the map shape.

I think that the form of fhe map doesn't matter to perform a lineal history, you only take a look to Alola's Map... For me one of the most lineal histories, undoubtedly.
How does that support your hypothesis that this won't be linear? You can look at the map to see that there aren't many diverting routes to take. Which is fine since making it non-linear will bring up design issues such as pacing and difficulty spikes. GF wants to guide players to an experience they're crafting. I wouldn't expect anything else at this point. Post-game is how they will add more content which is still up in the air.

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like 84 years late, but I totally forgot games are localized lol As a Spanish speaker, Pokémon Espada y Pokémon Escudo sound so lame x'D is it the same for English speakers with Sword/Shield ?

Espada sounds cool as hell, talking as someone who doesnt know Spanish (then again I thought so too when Bleach did it). Sword and Shield sound very generic but almost funny because of it.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Espada sounds cool as hell, talking as someone who doesnt know Spanish (then again I thought so too when Bleach did it). Sword and Shield sound very generic but almost funny because of it.

Espada is fine, also, the memes. (Instead of a wolf is an eagle, alluding to the fascist regime, spanish dark humor)
4F9GWXB.png

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Épée & Bouclier doesn't strike as well as Sword and Shield do from the perspective of a french-native speaker, particularly Épée, feels like the name should bit a bit longer to roll off the tongue.
The starters names tho are perfect, like always. French Pokémon names >> English ones by far.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Well there was already this less than 24 hours from the reveal
1551335453967.png
This is old, from months ago.

No source has been found for it in all this time. No one stepped up to claim it and the guy people said "watermarked it" has this no where on any of his social media for his fake mons.

People wrote this off as fake months ago when we didn't get a new gen reveal last year and we all kinda forgot about it til now.

Hell, I thought the other Bunny artist did this as an alt version of his rabbit starter but I was wrong.

So as it stands, I'm on team "... Could be O_o" for now.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Stop.

Powercreeping.

New Pokemon.

That or buff the base stats and move pools of old Pokemon. Megas and Z-moves are wholly unnecessary.

Sure, they could buff Pokemon, but one of the nice parts about Mega Evolution is that they give you a hard teambuilding limitation, because you can only mega evolve one Pokemon per match. So you can't just throw your team full of powerful mega evos, it often forces you to build and execute a strategy around getting the most out of your mega evo. Removing the ability for most of these Pokemon to use normal items (except for Mega Rayquaza, which is part of what makes it so busted in 6v6 singles lol) is also a pretty good idea for the most part!

Mega Evos aren't just a way to buff a Pokemon (though they certainly do that), it also changes the teambuilding element of the game, and i don't think it does so in a particularly harmful way, especially in the formats Gamefreak actually balances the game for (Battle Spot Singles and VGC). It encourages people to teambuild around a specfic win condition... which is something most teams should be doing anyways, but megas just take that idea further. Personally though, if we get new mega evos, I'd love it if they took a more similar approach to Mega Gyarados, a Pokemon that's notorious for playing mindgames around its mega evolution due to its type change from Water / Flying to Water / Dark.

As for powercreeping in general, I'd actually argue there hasn't been a serious case of mass powercreeping in Pokemon since gen 5. Gen 6 and 7 have some specfic, excellent Pokemon, but also have more niche Pokemon competitiely than usual. Sun and Moon in particular almost seemed hellbent on doing the opposite, with a lot of new Pokemon being screwed over in the Speed department really hard (looking at you, Decidueye).

However, I gotta give gen 7 props for its batch of legendary Pokemon. This time, they were actually a major balancing force. For example, Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini are great at stopping the spamming of sleep moves, Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain gives bigger risk to priority attacks, Celesteela is an incredibly versatile defensive Pokemon that checks a lot of major threats, etc. Funnily enough, Gamefreak had a special ladder 2 seasons ago that banned legendary Pokemon. People were excited at first, but 2 weeks later I was hearing cries to the sentiment of people really missing the tapus and celesteela, for making certain very nasty mons like Breloom and Vivillon (yes I'm not kidding lol) much more reasonable to manage.

Z-moves Im personally more mixed on. I do like that they give weaker Pokemon a really powerful, one use attack (Mimikyu is probably the most notorious for this, its exclusive Z move makes it an incredible revenge killer and way to stop sweepers in general). However, I don't think they really add that much to the game, even if the support Z moves can get pretty interesting.

Nov 3, 2017
When are they going to reveal the release date? How did they handle the release date reveal for SuMo because I know that was announced in a similar way to these games?

Oct 26, 2017

No source has been found for it in all this time. No one stepped up to claim it and the guy people said "watermarked it" has this no where on any of his social media for his fake mons.

People wrote this off as fake months ago when we didn't get a new gen reveal last year and we all kinda forgot about it til now.

Hell, I thought the other Bunny artist did this as an alt version of his rabbit starter but I was wrong.

Looks like it's themed on high altitude flight or something, pressure suits and rockets, not convinced it's related to Flambino.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Pokémon Épée & Bouclier doesn't strike as well as Sword and Shield do from the perspective of a french-native speaker, particularly Épée, feels like the name should bit a bit longer to roll off the tongue.

I agree.
"Pokémon Epée" should have been "Pokémon Glaive", it just sounds better.

The starters names tho are perfect, like always. French Pokémon names >> English ones by far.

I disagree.
"Larméléon" is a garbage name, and it's hard to generalize. Sometimes french names are better, sometimes they are way worse.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Thinking of the names Sword and Shield, the football angle for the gyms and having the core gameplay mechanic tied to it make tons of sense. Being a bit too obvious here, but swords are for attacking, shields are for defending. In the same way, football is all about offense and defense. So when you think what the core gimmick could be I am fairly certain there will be a new Action RPG battle mode, and it won't be Armored Evolution. Which is also why some of the non gym settlements have a football field, which are for training and off court battles.
So what kind of ARPG battles can this be? Well, as I noticed the PC enters the football stadium with only one glove on his right hand. Think of that like the Mega Bracelet or the Z-Ring. What this glove does is allow some kind of synchro to your Pokemon. What entails is what I would like to think is a game of tag, hot potato, and Pokemon battles all in one. There will be a Sword phase, which is sort of like ATB, with you being able to select attacks ahead of time, move around and get closer to the goal. If you make it and score a point this then resets, with you entering a shield phase, moving around, avoiding attacks, and making sure your opponent doesn't get closer to your goal. Winning this match would then allow you to traditionally battle the Gym Captain. Of course this would mean 8 very similar gyms, so to alleviate this I think based on the gym type there are going to be huge amounts of new rules and puzzle like requirements to the matches.

My idea has a lot of holes, and K could be completely wrong on how its executed, but I do think at the very least its going to be an ARPG mode before the Captain.

fleante

Oct 28, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic for this, especially after watching the gamexplain analysis footage.

But man do I hate how blurry and framey it looks. Really hope it'll look better in person

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Stadium, Colosseum/XD, and Battle Revolution are very worth mining for animations. Off the top of my head, Milotic and Vileplume have some awesome ones in those games.

Bring back Crobat's underbite!
While I understand having unique animations for every attack by every Pokémon would be a tall ask, if there's one thing they could learn from the Stadium games it would be giving each Pokémon a more energetic idle stance.

In Sun/Moon the Pokémon just bobbed on the spot - the one exception being Mr Mime. We basically need more Mr Mime, which not the kind of phrase we should be forced to say.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised New Frame hasn't covered pokemon. There's a lot of snafus regarding the animation there and could stand to be improved

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand having unique animations for every attack by every Pokémon would be a tall ask, if there's one thing they could learn from the Stadium games it would be giving each Pokémon a more energetic idle stance.

In Sun/Moon the Pokémon just bobbed on the spot - the one exception being Mr Mime. We basically need more Mr Mime, which not the kind of phrase we should be forced to say.

You forgot about the true best idle animation
Spinda is also great just kind of stumbling around

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, they could buff Pokemon, but one of the nice parts about Mega Evolution is that they give you a hard teambuilding limitation, because you can only mega evolve one Pokemon per match. So you can't just throw your team full of powerful mega evos, it often forces you to build and execute a strategy around getting the most out of your mega evo. Removing the ability for most of these Pokemon to use normal items (except for Mega Rayquaza, which is part of what makes it so busted in 6v6 singles lol) is also a pretty good idea for the most part!

Mega Evos aren't just a way to buff a Pokemon (though they certainly do that), it also changes the teambuilding element of the game, and i don't think it does so in a particularly harmful way, especially in the formats Gamefreak actually balances the game for (Battle Spot Singles and VGC). It encourages people to teambuild around a specfic win condition... which is something most teams should be doing anyways, but megas just take that idea further. Personally though, if we get new mega evos, I'd love it if they took a more similar approach to Mega Gyarados, a Pokemon that's notorious for playing mindgames around its mega evolution due to its type change from Water / Flying to Water / Dark.

As for powercreeping in general, I'd actually argue there hasn't been a serious case of mass powercreeping in Pokemon since gen 5. Gen 6 and 7 have some specfic, excellent Pokemon, but also have more niche Pokemon competitiely than usual. Sun and Moon in particular almost seemed hellbent on doing the opposite, with a lot of new Pokemon being screwed over in the Speed department really hard (looking at you, Decidueye).

However, I gotta give gen 7 props for its batch of legendary Pokemon. This time, they were actually a major balancing force. For example, Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini are great at stopping the spamming of sleep moves, Tapu Lele's Psychic Terrain gives bigger risk to priority attacks, Celesteela is an incredibly versatile defensive Pokemon that checks a lot of major threats, etc. Funnily enough, Gamefreak had a special ladder 2 seasons ago that banned legendary Pokemon. People were excited at first, but 2 weeks later I was hearing cries to the sentiment of people really missing the tapus and celesteela, for making certain very nasty mons like Breloom and Vivillon (yes I'm not kidding lol) much more reasonable to manage.

Z-moves Im personally more mixed on. I do like that they give weaker Pokemon a really powerful, one use attack (Mimikyu is probably the most notorious for this, its exclusive Z move makes it an incredible revenge killer and way to stop sweepers in general). However, I don't think they really add that much to the game, even if the support Z moves can get pretty interesting.
I don't think Megas enable interesting team building when you give Kangaskhan Choice Band without the downside, make Gengar into a Wobbuffet that can actually do something, give Salamence a 120BP STAB move on top of a free Intimidate for the first switch and so forth. Personally I hope they do away with Megas or at the very least learn not to make broken Pokemon that dominate the metagame, but like you said, their primary focus is VGC Doubles. Which is weird to me that they can't support multiple formats. Just introduce different clauses and banlists for different formats. It's not that hard.

I also hope they don't entirely focus on Battle Spot SIngles since it's so much less interesting than 6v6 Singles.

Last edited:

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I feel offended when I see the poll results and see that my boy Grookey is the least favorite starter.

What's wrong with most of you.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Stadium animations are an absolute treasure. It sucks that they're a lot slower to execute because of how exaggerated they are, but I absolutely love watching them. They were so expressive! I loved how Starmie would spin around like a boomerang to shoot a thunderbolt, or how Venusaur's eyes would turn red, or how a damaged Alakazam would fall back slowly, land on its back, lay on its side with its head resting on its arm, and hovering while still in this position to get back up. Also, Kangaskhan's animations are just wild and they crack me up.

Oh god, I have to share this! XD

Nidoqueen don't do em like that

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Looks like it's themed on high altitude flight or something, pressure suits and rockets, not convinced it's related to Flambino.
That strikes onto the key to this for me...

IDK, I think the key to finding out why I personally raise an eyebrow and think it could be real is looking at Scorbunny.

First off I'm gonna say that the pads on it's feet and face are not (Or atleast "not just") bandages , they're abrasives.
Material used to cause friction and start fires/ sparks. Prob placed above the nose to give it a young feel, like a band aid, but I really do thing it's funtion is to act as an abrasive/ match striker..

"SCORE Bunny! Football!" You say ...

From the bulba..
"Scorbunny may be a combination of scorch and bunny.

Hibanī may be a combination of 火 hi (fire), 火花 hibana (spark), and bunny."

I normally find the JPN names to be the most reliable when looking at what the pokemon is named after and both go with fire bunny. Makes more sense that a fire type starter would have something fire related on it's body and in it's name seeing as it's not at all uncommon. Explains why every time it strikes the metal gear with it's feet it causes fire to come out.
Seems like it's gonna be shown to use it's feet and head abrasive pads to make fire/ sparks/ explosions.

Scorbunny's ears.
They, to me, look like .... Rocket exhaust flames. They go from white to a thin ban of orange to a darker, more red orange and it even has a stray tuff of fur to mimic the random spray of flames/ sparks that come out.

In it's reveal it's shown running up a gear, building up momentum with explosive steps before literally taking off high into the sky and making a firey landing. Screams baby rocket/ space shuttle take off/ school project rocket to me.

Now, making a Fake Rabbit Mon is nothing new. Sure, it would be 1/5 or something chance of being right at this point. But to me making a Rabbit that's not only the right colors but also makes jet flames from it's paws and head AND has a rocket/ air or spacecraft theme when I feel like that's the theme this reveal is building up to? All like half a year or ore before this? I can't really scuff at that.

Plus the fact that no one has every claimed this even though it's been out for so many months? We all kinda just assumed it was fake before when we didn't get a new gen reveal ... and every fakemon artist wants to pull the "GOTCHA" card for attention as soon as they can.

I mean, last gen has shown us we can get some left field Starter Leaks. And the last time such a good looking sheet of concept art has gone unsourced, or claimed for this long it turned out to be legit.

But thats just me, not telling anyone to believe anything or w/e. Just saying that it has not been claimed and no one has found a source for it even tho its been making the runs for months.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

In Italy we have Spada and Scudo, the common consensus seems to be Spada is a cool name while Scudo is absolutely awful

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The rabbit starter is the most interesting purely because its the biggest departure from the standard rgb colour palettes the starters normally run.

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
Something insignificant, but I just noticed Lucario closes its eyes when it launches the attack, did they do this before? Also Tyranitar gif

yeTXN8n.gif

IPc5oSi.gif

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about that.

It is most likely fake but I at least think there is some room for doubt there since the colouration is so similar to Scorbunny

Aug 7, 2018
vojiWAA.png

So I noticed that in the Trailer right when Lucario appears on screen, there are letters on the scrolling banner behind him in the stadium. It clearly spells out Game Freak in the Galar Written Language. I know this might not be enough to go off of, but would anyone smarter than myself be able to use something like this to decrypt the Language of the Region?

Before you say it's just gibberish and they are just having fun with made up letters, there is precedence to Pokemon having a written language for a Region. Example is the Unovan Language https://kotaku.com/deciphering-pokemons-mysterious-language-5986150 which was decrypted by fans back in 2013.

Anyways, I just thought it might be fun. If anything it does provide 7 letters of a possible alphabet. Another thing giving a bit of credence to this theory is that you can see in other parts of the trailer writting using the same style and even seeing "E" pop up quite often leading me to believe it decrypts into English (where letter E is most common letter for words) which would also make sense, because Galar is based on the UK

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That strikes onto the key to this for me...

IDK, I think the key to finding out why I personally raise an eyebrow and think it could be real is looking at Scorbunny.

First off I'm gonna say that the pads on it's feet and face are not (Or atleast "not just") bandages , they're abrasives.
Material used to cause friction and start fires/ sparks. Prob placed above the nose to give it a young feel, like a band aid, but I really do thing it's funtion is to act as an abrasive/ match striker..

"SCORE Bunny! Football!" You say ...

From the bulba..
"Scorbunny may be a combination of scorch and bunny.

Hibanī may be a combination of 火 hi (fire), 火花 hibana (spark), and bunny."

I normally find the JPN names to be the most reliable when looking at what the pokemon is named after and both go with fire bunny. Makes more sense that a fire type starter would have something fire related on it's body and in it's name seeing as it's not at all uncommon. Explains why every time it strikes the metal gear with it's feet it causes fire to come out.
Seems like it's gonna be shown to use it's feet and head abrasive pads to make fire/ sparks/ explosions.

Scorbunny's ears.
They, to me, look like .... Rocket exhaust flames. They go from white to a thin ban of orange to a darker, more red orange and it even has a stray tuff of fur to mimic the random spray of flames/ sparks that come out.

In it's reveal it's shown running up a gear, building up momentum with explosive steps before literally taking off high into the sky and making a firey landing. Screams baby rocket/ space shuttle take off/ school project rocket to me.

Now, making a Fake Rabbit Mon is nothing new. Sure, it would be 1/5 or something chance of being right at this point. But to me making a Rabbit that's not only the right colors but also makes jet flames from it's paws and head AND has a rocket/ air or spacecraft theme when I feel like that's the theme this reveal is building up to? All like half a year or ore before this? I can't really scuff at that.

Plus the fact that no one has every claimed this even though it's been out for so many months? We all kinda just assumed it was fake before when we didn't get a new gen reveal ... and every fakemon artist wants to pull the "GOTCHA" card for attention as soon as they can.

I mean, last gen has shown us we can get some left field Starter Leaks. And the last time such a good looking sheet of concept art has gone unsourced, or claimed for this long it turned out to be legit.

But thats just me, not telling anyone to believe anything or w/e. Just saying that it has not been claimed and no one has found a source for it even tho its been making the runs for months.
Lots of really good points, I have been wondering what the bandages on Scorbunny are meant to represent (other than the one on it's nose meant to bring to mind an excitable child). Them being abrasives to cause fires makes sense, and if it is all about jumping or taking off then it really does fit with the rocket bunny art

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe Scorbunny will evolve into a Rugby player.

Grookey will be cricket.

Sobble will be snooker.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Will we get a completely overhaul of the game covers?
Besides pokemon blue, red, yellow, green and lets go, there has always been the Legend and only the Legend on it.
Im wondering as both game logos share the same dog (or wolf idk) but as they are identical and they didn't reveal the legendaries yet, i am thinking about a new way, maybe the starters on the cover with the Environment and the legendaries.
Just wondering, but i always liked the approach of the mystery dungeon games.