• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chuche

Feb 24, 2019
Espada is fine, also, the memes. (Instead of a wolf is an eagle, alluding to the fascist regime, spanish dark humor)
4F9GWXB.png

I'm spanish and I find this pretty funny.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Espada is fine, also, the memes. (Instead of a wolf is an eagle, alluding to the fascist regime, spanish dark humor)
4F9GWXB.png
I'm spanish and I find this pretty funny.
Yeah, I laughed at it too xD

Same here, in spain we love our dark humour and laughing at us.

Also I would love a future pokemon España as it was rumoured for gen 8 a year ago for a future gen. But I suppose they will go africa, south america or australia next.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
How many times does this have to be said, the map is not a 1 to 1 representation of the actual in-game map...
You'll never stop saying it and people will never stop calling the map linear. You can make the same claims with almost every other gen saying it's linear, or a circle. We've already seen that the map isn't 1 to 1 in several cases but people will still see it and jump to conclusions.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Same here, in spain we love our dark humour and laughing at us.

Also I would love a future pokemon España as it was rumoured for gen 8 a year ago for a future gen. But I suppose they will go africa, south america or australia next.
Shouldnt be only Spain but Iberia. Spain + Portugal would be quite nice.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its gonna be the tank of the group. Beyond that what I have in my mind is that as a Goalie Fire Rabbit, it will gain football cleat style foot spikes to climb and keep its ground, while also gaining steel gauntlets akin to a pair of goalie gloves.

That's a pretty good theory. I'm not a fan of sport theme Pokémon after Passimian. It'll definitely fit for this region. More so then my theories.

My hope is, Scorbunny evolves into a Fire/Electric Type with one of two hidden abilities the first being that it powers up all of its Fire/Electric moves or the Second would be a HA that gave it Fighting STAB similarly to Dhelmise ability giving it Steel type STAB.

I think its Final Evolution to looks like a Punk Fighting Type. A extremely fast Fighting looking type, as in the fastest starter to date, faster then Greninja. Why? It's a Rabbit, In real life rabbits rely on their speed and agility to survive. All of its Fire and Electric attacks coming threw its arms/hands like in a anime.

The bulky tank would go to Sobble. This one is out there but I see it's final evo being a Stegosaurus or Kentrosuarus. Stego - slow tank and Kentro - slightly faster tank. Water/Steel

Grookey - King Kong final evolution. Grass/Dark or Grass/Fighting insane physical attack with good speed.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Something to remember is that 6v6 has always been more of a fan created format, hence why you see Smogon running their own "suspect tests" and having their userbase vote on stuff to see if they're broken. However, I'd argue this is an awesome strength of Pokemon: its gameplay makes it very customizable rulset wise, so theres the potential for thousands of different, interesting metagames.

Hell, Gamefreak has dabbled a bit with this themselves, since they have a "Batle Spot Special" ladder every season that has weird rulesets, and fun gimmick tournaments like Simple Symphony recently (where you could only use single typed Pokemon). However, while the tournaments usually work out well, this gen, Battle Spot Special's userbase has been cratering very early every season because people usually just move back to VGC or Battle Spot SIngles. So I totally agree with you there, I want gamefreak to incentivize playing in multiple rulesets more besides a combinded leaderboard. Like say, maybe have Battle Point multipliers (something you use to buy competitive items in past games) for the more formats you consitently play or something. I do agree with you that Gamefreak could really stand to find SOME way to support more formats the at the very least, because if theres anything I've learned from playing competitive mons for over a decade, its that the more formats, the merrier!
Doubles didn't exist until Gen 3 and the first VGC was in 2009 using Platinum, so technically doubles hasn't always been the go-to format.

As for Battle Spot Special, it's a neat idea for a seasonal ladder but has no long term staying appeal. One of the best parts of competitive Pokemon is continually improving oneself. It's a bit like fighting games but turn-based instead of real-time. You don't come up with new formats in fighting games every so often because it takes time and effort to learn and adapt to the new format on a high level. People might also have trouble comprehending all the formats and it will take more time to match people with specific rulesets. Similar to what Smash Ultimate experiences.

What I would propose is having the option to change clauses and allowed Pokemon when battling friends, like Smash currently offers, and having a number of standard rulesets when battling strangers (VGC, 3v3 singles, 6v6 singles, triple, rotation to name a few) for rated matches. GF can then extrapolate the data to see which ones are the more popular formats and go from there, balancing the metagame with patches every now and then if needed. Battle Spot Special can still co-exist to offer something more unique.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I have a feeling the snow area is gonna be a surprise because of how small it seems compared to the rest of the region. Like the mountains must be explorable or there could be a cave or two hidden away.
Following up on this I just connected the dots that the Snow Mountains are like the Lake District down South. Both have isolated settlements that require the train, which has similar stations no less, to gain access to the rest of the region. So in this regard, the Snow Mountains will be the second open worldish area of the game, with lots of trainers, Pokemon, hidden crevices for items and what not find, etc.
That's a pretty good theory. I'm not a fan of sport theme Pokémon after Passimian. It'll definitely fit for this region. More so then my theories.

My hope is, Scorbunny evolves into a Fire/Electric Type with one of two hidden abilities the first being that it powers up all of its Fire/Electric moves or the Second would be a HA that gave it Fighting STAB similarly to Dhelmise ability giving it Steel type STAB.

I think its Final Evolution to looks like a Punk Fighting Type. A extremely fast Fighting looking type, as in the fastest starter to date, faster then Greninja. Why? It's a Rabbit, In real life rabbits rely on their speed and agility to survive. All of its Fire and Electric attacks coming threw its arms/hands like in a anime.

The bulky tank would go to Sobble. This one is out there but I see it's final evo being a Stegosaurus or Kentrosuarus. Stego - slow tank and Kentro - slightly faster tank. Water/Steel

Grookey - King Kong final evolution. Grass/Dark or Grass/Fighting insane physical attack with good speed.
Fire/Electric would be cool too, yeah. Not sure on Water/Steel or Grass/Fighting, Game freak have been spot on in avoiding previous typings for the final stages and I don't see them stopping that.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I like the graphics for the Pokémons but I wish backdrops looked more like the hand-drawn illustrations, like that Galada map in the OP.
They even get the palette right :(

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I want more love for Ice type this generation.

Gen 7 gave us Ninetales of all things, but we deserve an OP ice pseudo-legendary.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the Grookey going Grass/Rock and becoming a Rocker, Groove+Monkey, drumstick in its hair and so on. Rock also has its root in UK.

Fire/Electric for Scorbunny would be nice, I imagine it as some sort of duracell soccer bunny.

Sobble is the hardest to pin down; we know it's timid and is good at hiding...somekind of Water/Ghost secret agent maybe?

CheeseCrazee

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else stoked at the prospect of having 3 large cities to explore? I hope they are well designed this time with plenty to explore in them. Hopefully they take more inspiration from Castelia City rather than Lumiose.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Doubles didn't exist until Gen 3 and the first VGC was in 2009 using Platinum, so technically doubles hasn't always been the go-to format.

As for Battle Spot Special, it's a neat idea for a seasonal ladder but has no long term staying appeal. One of the best parts of competitive Pokemon is continually improving oneself. It's a bit like fighting games but turn-based instead of real-time. You don't come up with new formats in fighting games every so often because it takes time and effort to learn and adapt to the new format on a high level. People might also have trouble comprehending all the formats and it will take more time to match people with specific rulesets. Similar to what Smash Ultimate experiences.

What I would propose is having the option to change clauses and allowed Pokemon when battling friends, like Smash currently offers, and having a number of standard rulesets when battling strangers (VGC, 3v3 singles, 6v6 singles, triple, rotation to name a few) for rated matches. GF can then extrapolate the data to see which ones are the more popular formats and go from there, balancing the metagame with patches every now and then if needed. Battle Spot Special can still co-exist to offer something more unique.

I was more refering to the really old Japanese only tournaments that predated VGC. In gens 1 and 2, they used a 3v3 singles format, with some very odd rules such as having a "combined level limit", which led to some mons being level 55, and anything below that down to level 50 (this is where those Pokemon Stadium rulesets come from actually).

Otherwise, I wholeheartedily agree with your idea for the ladder. I'd love it if gamefreak took a more active approach to balancing stuff throughout the gen, instead of waiting until the next gen to balance things out like they usually do. Also, while it may seem like I may be ragging on 6v6 singles a bit, I think it'd be a great addition to have that as a rated ladder! I'm particularly curious to see how it'd develop compared to Smogon's version (OU).

On an unrelated note: after seeing that supposedly leaked Scorbunny final evo (I'm still skeptical of it), it did awaken something inside me: I'd love a fast Fire / Steel type Pokemon. Last gen, Kartana really showed me how much mileage you ca get out of having a faster, more offensive take on a defensive typing!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
...it's a mountain range. There's no way to even determine that from just the map. People still don't realize the map is missing details?
Yep. I have a feeling they will have two side areas in the mountains over here:
SCoH3Wd_d.jpg

I've said this a few times but no one picked up on it or just didn't care...

On the Southeast part of the map if you zoom in I can barely make out a walking trail covered up by clouds. Since you're looking at the map do you see it too or am I imagining it?

Wouldn't Kalos connect to Southeast Galar?
I think Kalos would connect via the trains. The path you mention goes into the forest, which is covered with clouds that were added after the map was drawn. Something is being hidden there, but I think its leading to a post game area that has not been shown off yet as an extension to the map. And yes I think both that area and Kalos will coexist.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Being able to go back to Kalos would be amazing. I just don't trust Gamefreak to give us that much gameplay.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
It's not a statment, is a hypothesis as you well say. I only trying to say, that's the map's form doesn't have to lead to a linear story.
I agree with you. The tagline "forge your own path" even suggests a degree of nonlinearity.

My guess is you can basically do the first three Stadiums (Grass, Fire, Water) in any order, perhaps recommended to be tackled in a certain order based on the starter you choose.

Then, once you beat all three, the wolf-shaped gate opens up the electric/steel city, and you can do those five Stadiums in any order you wish (Ground and Fairy to the west, Poison and Ice to the east, and Electric/Steel).

Then you're allowed to board the train to the snowy summit and cross over into the futuristic city, where the Psychic Dome (final badge), and Victory Tower (Elite 4) await.

eketeru

Dec 3, 2018
vojiWAA.png

Anyways, I just thought it might be fun. If anything it does provide 7 letters of a possible alphabet. Another thing giving a bit of credence to this theory is that you can see in other parts of the trailer writting using the same style and even seeing "E" pop up quite often leading me to believe it decrypts into English (where letter E is most common letter for words) which would also make sense, because Galar is based on the UK

This properly grabbed my interest, so me and my colleagues have spent our lunch break decoding. We've gone through every snippet of footage, now Era, help us crack the code!

JOIN IN! Here's our Google Doc.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I just visited Iberia. Can you imagine a Pokémon game based on Sevilla?

*drools*

I think it'll happen eventually. It's a prime location.

Just like Australia and Brazil. I think they're all inevitable.

I personally want a region based off of the Great Lakes. Ontario and Michigan. Niagara Falls.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I think it'll happen eventually. It's a prime location.

Just like Australia and Brazil. I think they're all inevitable.

I personally want a region based off of the Great Lakes. Ontario and Michigan. Niagara Falls.

I'm obviously biased, but Brasil would be incredible. The variety of environments and types of Pokemon would be insane. I will create a thread at some point in the future.