What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Glanced at my 3DS log and while some of the times are off cause i recently restarted Pokemon Y is at 715 hours.
Pokemon Heart Gold is at 236 hours
Pokemon X is at 216 hours.

As you can see I spent a ton of time on Y breeding/battling.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
There have been complaints since the beginning. People complained about gen 3, then about gen 4, then gen 5 (yes, everyone's precious gen 5 was criticized to hell and back and to say otherwise is revisionist history). It's not a fact that the 3DS gens are the only ones with complaints, so saying people only shit on gen 1 and 2 to dismiss criticism of newer gens doesn't make sense. People are allowed to dislike gen 1 as much as you're allowed to dislike gen 7.

Oh, I agree it doesn't make sense, especially because gen 1 and 2 are 20yo+ game boy games that should just be treated as franchise's legacy and not being scrutinized at this point, but, you know, that's what people have been doing.

The most usual counter argument nowdays for "Pokemon designs are getting bad" (and I don't necessarily agree with that, just an example) is "gen 1's designs are shit, they're just basic, look at Seel". You will see something like that in every thread. When people say that games have been too linear, there's always a "Kanto's map is the worst". When people talk about Kalos being bland, we get a "Kanto is the worst region, it doesn't have a theme". When people say we could get another region as post content again they go "GS post content is awful and unbalanced".

You may or may not have perceived this, but it's happening and it's stupid af. I think people are bitter about gen 1 and 2 getting so much nostalgia and attention by both fans and game freak, but hey, that's what happens with basically every videogame franchise that gets this old. I don't recall a single modern Mario game that doesn't "pander" to SMB, the song theme is always there, enemies, design elements, 8bit Mario will show up one way or another, the games always go hard for the nostalgia fan service, and yet, I don't see people talking shit like SMB is the worst game of the franchise, that people should move on from it, and comparing it to modern games. It's just ridiculous, but it's more or less what happens to Pokémon.

I don't even know if the consensus is that gen 1 and 2 are great games anymore at this point, which is a shame, because they should be treated as all time classics that are the foundation to one of the biggest IPs in the world. They have flaws, obviously, they are products of their time and are rudimentary in many ways now, but is it relevant to be discussing these flaws at this point instead of how the current games could improve looking forward?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I agree it doesn't make sense, especially because gen 1 and 2 are 20yo+ game boy games that should just be treated as franchise's legacy and not being scrutinized at this point, but, you know, that's what people have been doing.

The most usual counter argument nowdays for "Pokemon designs are getting bad" (and I don't necessarily agree with that, just an example) is "gen 1's designs are shit, they're just basic, look at Seel". You will see something like that in every thread. When people say that games have been too linear, there's always a "Kanto's map is the worst". When people talk about Kalos being bland, we get a "Kanto is the worst region, it doesn't have a theme". When people say we could get another region as post content again they go "GS post content is awful and unbalanced".

You may or may not have perceived this, but it's happening and it's stupid af. I think people are bitter about gen 1 and 2 getting so much nostalgia and attention by both fans and game freak, but hey, that's what happens with basically every videogame franchise that gets this old. I don't recall a single modern Mario game that doesn't "pander" to SMB, the song theme is always there, enemies, design elements, 8bit Mario will show up one way or another, the games always go hard for the nostalgia fan service, and yet, I don't see people talking shit like SMB is the worst game of the franchise, that people should move on from it, and comparing it to modern games. It's just ridiculous, but it's more or less what happens to Pokémon.

I don't even know if the consensus is that gen 1 and 2 are great games anymore at this point, which is a shame, because they should be treated as all time classics that are the foundation to one of the biggest IPs in the world. They have flaws, obviously, they are products of their time and are rudimentary in many ways now, but is it relevant to be discussing these flaws at this point instead of how the current games could improve looking forward?
Regarding designs, people who say they're getting bad also usually say only gen 1/2 designs are good, that's why it gets brought up. People are fed up of Kanto because it's the most revisited region despite not being as good as other regions that always get the shaft. I personally don't even agree that Gen 2's post-content is bad, especially since HGSS fixed Kanto.
And it's not really comparable to Mario, you're not getting SMB remakes to this day, 8bit is just a visual style too. For example, 64's low poly look was also included in Odyssey. The problem in Pokémon is that most of the time the references and callbacks hinder the new games. Santalune forest didn't have to have the same layout as Viridian forest, only getting Alolan forms of gen 1 Pokémon was a missed opportunity, etc.

And no one really argues that gen 1 and 2 are bad games or that they weren't important, if people have legitimate issues with even the remakes of those games, then it's fair to just accept it. Let's Go could and should have tried to do better. HGSS are constantly praised too anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

All of those criticisms are absolutely fair though. Especially when gen 2 has a remake that didn't address its problems and gen 1 has a second remake that not only did not seek to improve Kanto, but actively ignored most of the progress the series has made.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Everyone who says XY is bad...the lack of flavor.
. The Pokémon are iconic.
only 72 of them.
3D leap. The aesthetic is comfy and calm.
Not with that shitty Chibi artstyle, and washed out color pallete for the pokemon.
Just look at this: https://imgur.com/a/t4Dx0 (the lighter models are the one from the game)
Very poorly implemented into the game, used purely as fan-service to jerk off gen 1 all over again. Giving it to mons that didnt need it on the first place.
Clothes customization.
If only they let us take that stupid hat off.
The PSS was top tier and unmatched to this day.
The saving grace of the game. Well, along with Pokemon Amie.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Preach. X and Y introduced a new type, mega forms and the PSS was awesome. Even cute features like Super Training and Pokemon-Amie were fun for me. It gets a lot of undeserved hate.

XY are the precursors of the current Pokémon games and they really knocked a lot of stuff out of the park when taking the leap into 3D.

Y'all need your tables shaken for this revisionism. Arceus will prove me right!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish they went back to 2D.
Sun and Moon did some things better, but I probably did like XY more. Definitely for multiplayer at least.

Ultra Sun just really hurt any enthusiasm I had for gen 7.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who says XY is bad...the lack of flavor.

That game was like a reaffirmation of the series. 3D leap. The aesthetic is comfy and calm. The PSS was top tier and unmatched to this day. The Pokémon are iconic. Megas. Fairy type. Clothes customization.

They gave us everything.
I will give you customization and I will give you the PSS. But the 3D leap was really bad and everything looked very unimpressive. Honestly, even in SuMo, I think they were kinda still trying to catch up the quality of aesthetics that Gen V had. Megas were so poorly thought out and implemented that it's not really any wonder than they were killed off as a mechanic with Gen VII. Fairy type honestly feels like it doesn't have much to do with the Gen itself. A new type could've been introduced at any time, they just chose this one to implement one (likely to further the normalization of Dragons that was started in Gen V). As for the Pokemon, a chunk of them are iconic... But a lot more are forgotten. Is Bergmite or Clauncher really sticking out in anyone's memories? Sure you have your Aesgislash's and Espurrs but even once-popular Pokemon like Vivillon are fading out now that they're gimmick is over.

In retrospect XY is probably better than Sun and Moon
Oh yikes, no.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
XY at least respected your time more than Sun and Moon in most ways. Even with animations off you had to watch the Z move dance.
Trainer battles in XY took way too long to start up, like 13 seconds or so, but Sun and Moon made that even longer too. Its like they add a few more seconds each time. Im ready for 20 second battle intros.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding designs, people who say they're getting bad also usually say only gen 1/2 designs are good, that's why it gets brought up. People are fed up of Kanto because it's the most revisited region despite not being as good as other regions that always get the shaft. I personally don't even agree that Gen 2's post-content is bad, especially since HGSS fixed Kanto.
And it's not really comparable to Mario, you're not getting SMB remakes to this day, 8bit is just a visual style too. For example, 64's low poly look was also included in Odyssey. The problem in Pokémon is that most of the time the references and callbacks hinder the new games. Santalune forest didn't have to have the same layout as Viridian forest, only getting Alolan forms of gen 1 Pokémon was a missed opportunity, etc.

So you agree with my initial point that people always bring up the flaws of the classic games on discussions about current games, you're doing it yourself. If the callbacks hinder current games, that's a problem with the current games. If Kalos had a small lackluster roster of Pokemon and relied too much on gen 1 Pokemon and Mega Evolutions that were basically not featured during the main campaing, that's Kalos' problem, not Kanto's. Kalos has a terrible map design issue, it's mostly linear and there are several areas that suffer from this, Santalune Forest is one small specific area and its callback is not what caused that problem. And I don't hear people complaining about Alolan variants in detriment of SM, quite the contrary, they are one of the most acclaimed aspects of the game. Only people complaining are the ones that wanted other gens represented ( and we could have that if GF weren't so terrible on bringing back past mechanics, another problem with recent games), while the general complaints about Alola were the extreme handholding, the linearity, how easy it is, etc, but there's a double standard where you can't mention those flaws, only older gens flaws are validated.

And no one really argues that gen 1 and 2 are bad games or that they weren't important, if people have legitimate issues with even the remakes of those games, then it's fair to just accept it. Let's Go could and should have tried to do better. HGSS are constantly praised too anyway.

Same, if people have legitimate issues with gens 6 and 7, it's fair to just accept it. You however quoted me when I said there are complaints that the series decreased on quality from the 3DS on to say that it's just my opinion.

Like, I generally like all Pokemon games, I have issues with gen 5's extreme linearity and think that gen 6 would be the only one that's actually bad in the bunch, but other than that, every gen has its strengths. I enjoyed SM for what they were, I just hope SwSh doesn't suffer from the same problems it had, and I think it would help if people would leave gen 1 and 2 alone and look into what really have held back these last games so we can have better experiences going forward.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had more fun with XY than Sun and Moon honestly.

I think SM had better Pokemon overall though.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So you agree with my initial point that people always bring up the flaws of the classic games on discussions about current games, you're doing it yourself. If the callbacks hinder current games, that's a problem with the current games. If Kalos had a small lackluster roster of Pokemon and relied too much on gen 1 Pokemon and Mega Evolutions that were basically not featured during the main campaing, that's Kalos' problem, not Kanto's. Kalos has a terrible map design issue, it's mostly linear and there are several areas that suffer from this, Santalune Forest is one small specific area and its callback is not what caused that problem. And I don't hear people complaining about Alolan variants in detriment of SM, quite the contrary, they are one of the most acclaimed aspects of the game. Only people complaining are the ones that wanted other gens represented ( and we could have that if GF weren't so terrible on bringing back past mechanics, another problem with recent games), while the general complaints about Alola were the extreme handholding, the linearity, how easy it is, etc, but there's a double standard where you can't mention those flaws, only older gens flaws are validated.

Same, if people have legitimate issues with gens 6 and 7, it's fair to just accept it. You however quoted me when I said there are complaints that the series decreased on quality from the 3DS on to say that it's just my opinion.

Like, I generally like all Pokemon games, I have issues with gen 5's extreme linearity and think that gen 6 would be the only one that's actually bad in the bunch, but other than that, every gen has its strengths. I enjoyed SM for what they were, I just hope SwSh doesn't suffer from the same problems it had, and I think it would help if people would leave gen 1 and 2 alone and look into what really have held back these last games so we can have better experiences going forward.
I feel like we're talking about different problems here. On the one hand, you see people voicing their problems with gen 1/2 as an excuse to overlook the problems with gen 6/7. On the other hand, I see people who can't accept that others prefer gen 6/7 over 1/2. I just meant to say it's not correct to state there's been an objective decrease in quality, because all gens have different problems.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
and we could have that if GF weren't so terrible on bringing back past mechanics, another problem with recent games

I absolutely think regional variants make a return in SwSh based on how well received they were, for the most part, and how relatively easy they are to implement (re-using animations, rigs, etc). Plus it allows them to introduce a "new" Pokemon without having to give it a new number, so they can further slow their walk to 1,000.

Oct 25, 2017
Do people consider Gen 7 too easy? Elite 4 is easier with less mons plus the fact that they're all equal, but that champion match kicked my ass. And totems were pretty tough.

Granted, I turned exp share off.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Most of my files tend to be 40-70 hours. Some games I've played more than that because I replay them, but that's where my current saves are at.

The big outliers are FireRed and Diamond, where I have 300 hours and 360-odd hours respectively. Those are so big because with FR I had a group of local friends I would breed and train to play against and occasionally take road trips to larger events with, and for Diamond because online play meant I now had the whole world to breed and train to battle against, which meant I was super, super invested in it (not to mention that I just absolutely loved the Underground <.<)

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Your argument surely isn't that there are only 72 of them so they can't be iconic...right?

I don't think they particularly pandered to Gen 1 with these, proportionately. Except, maybe, Charizard and Mewtwo getting two each.
All gens have iconic pokemon in them.
I would judt like a higher number, makes the new region feel fresh.

Gen 1, at least in X/Y, got way more megas than any other gen.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
XY killed my enjoyment of Pokémon. I got it a month after it released and finished it for the first time February this year. I actually participated in the SunMoon hype but the thought of playing them made me not get them. Doing my first play through of Sun as we speak, it's way better than XY, at least in the main game

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Do people consider Gen 7 too easy? Elite 4 is easier with less mons plus the fact that they're all equal, but that champion match kicked my ass. And totems were pretty tough.

Granted, I turned exp share off.
Alola region with exp. share off and set battles is nuts by the end. The difficulty in these games is so modular which is really good for for such a wide audience but it kinda results in a lot folks giving themselves an easy time by default

Oct 25, 2017
Black and white and bw2 ruined gen 6&7 for me more than it should. 6&7 probably not that bad in retrospect but I loved 5 so much the other games ain't live up to it

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 7 had the best characters. Lusamine, Guzma and Lillie are so much better than anything that came before it's kind of crazy, and the rest of the cast was just really good all around too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Black & White just felt like a slog to me, and when I tried giving BW2 a shot I gave up on it early.

I think I just had Pokémon burnout around that time. Never thought much of that gen, also had the weakest new mons, which was especially compounded by how it forced previous gen ones until the postgame.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
watching Hapu go from being a character you meet to being a Kahuna was great. as was seeing Acerola become an Elite 4 member.

the one thing they can do to make these little stories better is to give you proper travel companions like other JRPGs. the only problem is balancing around it

Oct 25, 2017
Black & White just felt like a slog to me, and when I tried giving BW2 a shot I gave up on it early.

Never thought much of that gen, also had the weakest new mons.
BW2 has much better pacing, minus the Pokestar Studios detour and gives you great mons super early compared to any other gen. Agreed that Gen 5 is the weakest for new designs.

Also literally everyone is in it except Pikachu weirdly and the trainer from the first game.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
Because there are more gen 1 Pokemon than any other gen, but you rather call it a handjob.

Gen 5 has more Pokémon, but only one mega vs 15 Gen 1. Gen 6 also has only one mega even though megas were introduced that generation, and that was introduced in ORAS and not XY. Gen 2 has 6 and Gen 4 has 5. Gen 3 has the most with 20, but that is because of ORAS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 5 has more Pokémon, but only one mega vs 15 Gen 1. Gen 6 also has only one mega even though megas were introduced that generation, and that was introduced in ORAS and not XY. Gen 2 has 6 and Gen 4 has 5. Gen 3 has the most with 20, but that is because of ORAS.
and then they just abandon it because ¯\(°_o)/¯

at least Zmoves has a crystal every pokemon can use, but I doubt we'll see pokemon specific crystals again. and regional variations is also suspect

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
watching Hapu go from being a character you meet to being a Kahuna was great. as was seeing Acerola become an Elite 4 member.

the one thing they can do to make these little stories better is to give you proper travel companions like other JRPGs. the only problem is balancing around it
Having a travel companion would be awesome, but it's hard to pull off since the protagonist is a blank slate. I would love to see them try.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I must be an oddball cause I simply can't bring myself to enjoy gen 5 as much as folks here. The extreme linearity killed it for me, I replayed BW2 recently to see if I was remembering right and yes, still bad. The game feels like an endless corridor just going forward, route - city - bridge - route - city. BW2 less so, but still.

I can't deny that BW2 is brimming with content though, and I feel that much effort was put into it so I guess the linearity was a design choice, opposed to feeling like GF just doesn't care when it happened again in XY and SM.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to go with a big "nope" on that one, I'm sorry. You're talking about the most stale, most uninspired pokemon game, where almost every aspect feels like a downgrade from it's predacessors.

No need to be sorry for having differing opinions. Aside from being mindlessly easy, I think XY was better than Sun and Moon in almost every way.

-I'll take a crappy story that's secondary to the gameplay over one that's constantly in your face, along with a less lengthy intro/tutorial section.
-The move to 3D models in XY was monumental and allowed for some dynamic camera manipulation.
-While the idea to remove HMs is great, Ride Pokemon in Sun and Moon were really underused and extremely situational while the rollerskates were at least a fun gimmick.
-People have talked about the online functionality more than enough
-Adding trainer models to Sun and Moons battles just lagged the game out, and the game takes even longer to let you do anything on encounters.
-XY introduced Amie as well as having some (admittedly average) minigames and supertraining while Sun and Moon mostly just added a lame camera minigame and whatever the hell was going on in the Festival Plaza.
-I don't care all that much for Megas but at least the transformation sequence is very brief and mostly skippable.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I found it to be the hardest game in the series on set/exp share off. Way more thought put into enemy team synergies than is usual for the series' campaigns.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a travel companion would be awesome, but it's hard to pull off since the protagonist is a blank slate. I would love to see them try.
go the Xenoblade Chronicles X route with having 3-4 response options and have characters react to that. they already started that in Sun and Moon (teasing Lillie was fun)

tenor.gif

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will forever be dumbfounded as to how I was supposed to find Gen 7 difficult at all outside of literally one time fighting a totem and then Necrozma in USUM.

Even with Exp Share off, almost every battle is an exercise in "spam your highest BP super effective move"

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
No need to be sorry for having differing opinions. Aside from being mindlessly easy, I think XY was better than Sun and Moon in almost every way.

-I'll take a crappy story that's secondary to the gameplay over one that's constantly in your face, along with a less lengthy intro/tutorial section.
-The move to 3D models in XY was monumental and allowed for some dynamic camera manipulation.
-While the idea to remove HMs is great, Ride Pokemon in Sun and Moon were really underused and extremely situational while the rollerskates were at least a fun gimmick.
-Adding trainer models to Sun and Moons battles just lagged the game out, and the game takes even longer to let you do anything on encounters.
-XY introduced Amie as well as having some (admittedly average) minigames and supertraining while Sun and Moon mostly just added a lame camera minigame and whatever the hell was going on in the Festival Plaza.
-I don't care all that much for Megas but at least the transformation sequence is very brief and mostly skippable.
If there's one thing about S/M that really stands out in a negative way it's the fact that the games really didn't introduce any notable new features - which is a first for the series. Pokerides were a missed opportunity (no one wants to "rent" Pokemon) and I agree that they were underutilized, Z-moves are ok but lame compared to past battle improvements and additions, trials are just a regional gimmick, Poke-Pelago is not a good system for anything it's trying to do, and everyone knows the Festival Plaza was an abomination. Each generation before brought a lot to the series and Gen 6 was definitely one of the biggest improvements on the series to date, but Gen 7 was practically a regression. But I still think the main story playthrough of S/M is more enjoyable overall.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
If we exclude gen 3 megas (which there were a lot of because of the remakes, makes sense):
15 gen 1 megas
6 gen 2 megas
5 gen 4 megas
1 gen 5 mega
1 gen 6 mega

I totally don't see a gen 1 bias...

Yeah it's a matter of personal prefence. When it comes to me:
- Yeah, the constant cutscenes and tutorials I didnt really like. X/Y was better in this regard (tho with an infinitely worse story)
- I'll take pokeride over HM's every day of the week. I honestly liked the different uses for every single pokeride.

- trainer models I loved. Black 2 had animated sprites, so the artwork/illustration in X/Y felt like such a downgrade to me. With the processing powe of the switch, they can probably have trainer models and triple/rotation battles at the same time, appeasing both sides.

- Poke Pelago was very useful. Regional forms were pretty cool, along with the UB's.

I guess a lot of it is just a matter of patience. Some people can stand it while others cant. My favourite is gen 4 so you know where I stand, lol.

My problems of X/Y:
- Easiest game in the series by a pretty big margin
- atrocious art style, looks like an early PS1 title
- Only 72 new pokemon, most of the game was retreading through old pokes. Champions ace wasnt even from gen 6.
- Megas very poorly implemented, and with the difficulty it's just an instant win button.
- OST not nearly as good as gen 4, 5 or 7 (this is more of a personal one though, that gym leader theme is just horrendously bad)
- Jerking off Kanto ever chance it gets.
- Forgettable story, especially compared to the previous gen
- Postgame is non-existent.
among a lot more.