• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
not any more than regular poison and steel types (which aren't broken at all). besides, if they keep the stats teh same way as the other eevee's they might not be that good anyway (sylveon was decent until more fairies came into the mix)

I guess I mean that poison and steel types do pretty well in this meta. And the Eevee line usually has a couple of great TM/egg moves they can be really threatening with the right typing

Oct 26, 2017
If there was ever a new Eeveelution, it needs to be fast.

Jolteon and Espeon are the only two that have more than 100 speed.

Make it physical as well. The best attempt at that so far was Leafeon but it's not that good outside of the sun.

130 atk/110 speed(or swapped) Ghost Eeveelution could be pretty sweet. Though Ghost might have to get a decent general use physical move first.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
A ghost evolution would not imply ... kill your Eevee?

Like, the stone you use is just a stone. Many times.

Last edited:

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Make a new Pokemon, some type of Dragon-type that evolves into physical types and then give that evolutions over 17 years. No need for Moss and Ice rocks, just show it a regular-ass rock and it'll evolve into Stonegon or something.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I'd like to see a heavy hitter Eevelution with 130 attack and 110 speed, would be cool for a Steel type or Ghost type for sure. Should have been what Flareon is but it got screwed by the original special mechanics so each evolution got both high special attack and defense.

Like, the stone you use is just stone. Many times.
I laughed am I bad person..

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like, the stone you use is just a stone. Many times.
eevee turns into a gas, becoming ghost-like

or puts on a spoopy mask and becomes Carly Beth
Goosebumps_HauntedMask1Part2_Recap_2.PNG

I guess I mean that poison and steel types do pretty well in this meta. And the Eevee line usually has a couple of great TM/egg moves they can be really threatening with the right typing
an eeveelution that's actually usable is something people want. GF should give it too them

Feb 24, 2018
Question, in universe, how to scale are the towns and cities in-game compared to what they are in the lore? Like Pallet town, is it supposed to be just 3 buildings or is their supposed to be more?

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Pokémon Sword and Shield introduce two new Eeveelutions! To discover these new Pokémon, players simply toss their Eevees off a cliff. If the Eevee learns to fly, it becomes a Flying type! If it does not, it becomes a Ghost type!

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Question, in universe, how to scale are the towns and cities in-game compared to what they are in the lore? Like Pallet town, is it supposed to be just 3 buildings or is their supposed to be more?
Virtually every town in the mainline Pokemon games are based on a real life one. Just compare them to their irl counterpart and that's probably the size it's supposed to actually be.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
USUM is really unimpressive for an enchanced version
Honestly, story aside, , I think it's one of the better third versions in terms of addition/changes of content.
- Sidequests in a pokemon game. Reallly adds life to the region.
- Way more pokemon in the overworld, you can spot many like Murkrow, Bewear, Magmar, Wingull and more hanging out in certain areas, and you can play with other people's pokemon too. Makes the USUM version of Alola feel much better.
- regional alola pokedex expanded by 100 pokemon to include much more choice.
- roto lotto (basically the return of O-powers)
- Postgame is much better with Battle Agency, Rainbow Rocket, and Ultra Warp Ride added on.
- The ability to own totem sized pokemon yourself.
- encountering ultra beasts in their own environment. Finding Guzzlord eating a city instead of just on a random route was so much better.
- a lot of smaller improvements, like SOS battles being a lot less annoying, being able to get vikavolt earlier in the game, etc
Among a lot more.

Unfortunately the story was royally fucked up. The entire Lusamine family had their intentions so muddled, ultra recon squad sucks ass, rotom dex is way more annoying, and the final battle with Hau isnt nearly as impactful as battling Kukui in vanilla SM.

I still give US/UM the edge as the better game, but it's a bummer that it failed to be the "definitive edition". It was just SM, better in some aspects, worse in others. Which makes it probably the worst third version to me, even though I feel it added more than Emerald added to Ruby/Sapphire.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep the decent difficulty of SM, having some strategic boss battles like the totems or de buffed Final Boss and tapus. (haven't played ultra yet, but I've head it's even better).

Oct 26, 2017
Way to put words into my mouth.
I never told anyone to not be dissapointed with the games. Infact, I'm also bummed that they didnt put the battle frontier in. I'm not arguing about that. What I'm saying is, "less content than the game they're remaking" is still factually incorrect, because the game isnt aiming for Emerald in the first place. Which I know, is dissapointing. I would prefer that Emerald content to be in their too, but that doesnt make that statement correct in any stretch of the imagination.

Your reading comprehension is terrible, I didn't put words in your mouth. I know full well that you didn't say that "people shouldn't be disappointed," I brought up the disappointment to show how people expected Emerald content to be included as part of the remakes. Which in turn, defeats the entire purpose of your argument about the games' nomenclature reflecting the original games that it is trying to remake. To recap, you started out the chain of quotes with:

You say ORAS has less content than the it's remaking... what does the original R/S have that the remakes don't? Just curious.

And you further emphasized that point by saying that ORAS is a remake of R/S, and thus, it was never aiming to be Emerald, which is still wrong when you consider Game Freak's history of adding content from older games into the remakes. And how HeartGold and SoulSilver being remakes of Gold and Silver, didn't stop GF from implementing Crystal content and even going above and beyond (replacing the Battle Tower with Gen IV's Battle Frontier, implementing following Pokemon, and so on). Or how FireRed and LeafGreen were remakes of Red and Blue, didn't stop Game Freak from implementing a new post-game island, as well as Gen III QOL features.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
idn't stop GF from implementing Crystal content and even going above and beyond (replacing the Battle Tower with Gen IV's Battle Frontier, implementing following Pokemon, and so on). Or how FireRed and LeafGreen were remakes of Red and Blue, didn't stop Game Freak from implementing a new post-game island, as well as Gen III QOL features.
Those are not good examples.

The only reason why we got Battle Frontier in HGSS is because it already existed for Platinum. So nothing related to the remake.
Both ORAS and LGPE implemented their respective Gen QOL features.
ORAS didn't have following Pokémon and "so on", but had Soaring the Sky, new Mega Evolutions and "so on" .

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I missed Emerald's specific plot structure, but the more fleshed out plot and characterization we did get in ORAS was good, I dug the Delta Emerald content, felt like the Maison was more than enough postgame battle content for my tastes, liked soaring and the host of legendaries tied into it, liked the secret base improvements, and liked the Mauville overhaul.

shouldn't have toned down the trumpets tho

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Your reading comprehension is terrible, I didn't put words in your mouth. I know full well that you didn't say that "people shouldn't be disappointed," I brought up the disappointment to show how people expected Emerald content to be included as part of the remakes. Which in turn, defeats the entire purpose of your argument about the games' nomenclature reflecting the original games that it is trying to remake. To recap, you started out the chain of quotes with:

And you further emphasized that point by saying that ORAS is a remake of R/S, and thus, it was never aiming to be Emerald, which is still wrong when you consider Game Freak's history of adding content from older games into the remakes. And how HeartGold and SoulSilver being remakes of Gold and Silver, didn't stop GF from implementing Crystal content and even going above and beyond (replacing the Battle Tower with Gen IV's Battle Frontier, implementing following Pokemon, and so on). Or how FireRed and LeafGreen were remakes of Red and Blue, didn't stop Game Freak from implementing a new post-game island, as well as Gen III QOL features.
What does HGSS have to do with all this? If we're talking about that, HGSS are remakes of Gold/Silver and not crystal. But they decided to add the content in anyways. ORAS was remakes of Ruby/Sapphire, and they didnt include the Frontier from Emerald.

Literally all I'm saying is that the statement made originally by that other poster was incorrect.
It can't be hard to grasp a simple concept.

And while we're at it, it's not as if ORAS didnt add stuff over the originals as well.
The improvements features in gens 4-6, like physical/special, infinite TM's, PSS, Pokemon Amie, super training, 9 new pokemon that were evos of Hoenn pokemon (something HGSS didnt do, you cant get mons like Magnezone, Leafeon, Glaceon in it), mega evolutions of a lot of Hoenn mons, and the stuff ORAS itself added, like DexNav, Soaring, Mirage Islands, along with revamped secret bases, trainer rebattles, and so on.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing ORAS adds is better than the stuff in Emerald like BF and gym rematches. And there's absolutely no way to justify it. People expected the definitive version with all the content from gen 3, they didn't get it and everyone is justified to complain without people coming up with "But Actually..."

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The current fashion of the fandom is to shit on gen 1 and 2 to dismiss complaints that the games have decreased in quality from the 3DS on.
Coincidentally, the 3DS games are when the Gen 1 pandering began in full force.

Also, edit: ORAS is better than RSE if only for Beefcake Archie

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I put Emerald over OR/AS in my tier list but thinking about it now I would absolutely rather play OR/AS over it. The Battle Frontier means nothing to me. Shit is aggravating.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
To change the topic to something (hopefully) more positive, what is everyone's favorite area shown so far for SWSH? Mine is probably the snowy city, I'm a sucker for Christmas-y looking stuff lol. I love the lights.

JEYoE1t.png
The dark foggy forest they showed was what immediately caught my eye. I don't think we ever had such a location in the series and I don't even know where it is on the map. Can't wait to see what it is.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What I stated is that there are complaints, and that's not my opinion, it's a fact.
There have been complaints since the beginning. People complained about gen 3, then about gen 4, then gen 5 (yes, everyone's precious gen 5 was criticized to hell and back and to say otherwise is revisionist history). It's not a fact that the 3DS gens are the only ones with complaints, so saying people only shit on gen 1 and 2 to dismiss criticism of newer gens doesn't make sense. People are allowed to dislike gen 1 as much as you're allowed to dislike gen 7.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There have been complaints since the beginning. People complained about gen 3, then about gen 4, then gen 5 (yes, everyone's precious gen 5 was criticized to hell and back and to say otherwise is revisionist history). It's not a fact that the 3DS gens are the only ones with complaints, so saying people only shit on gen 1 and 2 to dismiss criticism of newer gens doesn't make sense. People are allowed to dislike gen 1 as much as you're allowed to dislike gen 7.
It doesn't make sense. Most people who put gen 1 down in their lists (like me) also have several of the 3DS games low. lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Who ever says gen 5 wasn't criticized? If anything it's the opposite and is what causes the wars here, from people to this day attacking vanilite.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Emerald's BF does really nothing for me other than the Battle Factory, which is better in Platinum anyway.

Tower: Same as always and it's in every game.
Pike: Short and based on randomness.
Arena: I'd rather just play regular battles.
Dome: This always felt like a Tower re-skin with some underlying mechanics that most people won't even pick up on.
Palace: This place should have had the Luck Symbol, not the Pike. Awful.
Pyramid: I played this one the least but the premise is interesting and I would have liked them to build upon it in Platinum. I guess they decided to streamline it and make the Battle Castle instead.

Platinum's BF was miles better. I was thinking with the gyms in S/S that it would be cool to add in some BF-like mechanics if they decide to get rid of the puzzle aspect.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I actually prefer ORAS to RSE. I liked the story, characters, and design a lot better among other things.

Coincidentally, the 3DS games are when the Gen 1 pandering began in full force.

Also, edit: ORAS is better than RSE if only for Beefcake Archie
That started with gen 5. They started pushing gen 1 harder with B2W2 in response to the reaction BW got. Those Pokemon being in the game was the big selling point when they started talking about the games. The anime also started doing stuff like bringing back Charizard and giving Iris a Dragonite.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Saying complaints started with the alleged decrease in quality of the 3DS games implies gen 5 was fine
His argument is that people criticize gen 1 to sidestep criticism towards recent gens, instead of, you know, Gen 1 actually having many flaws.
It's honestly not an argument worth engaging.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying complaints started with the alleged decrease in quality of the 3DS games implies gen 5 was fine
People who don't like gen 5 are completely different from the profile of people who criticize the 3DS era. Gen 5 is everything I want from Pokémon, XY is Kanto 2.0 and ORAS is the biggest disappointment I have in the franchise.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
ORAS are awesome and about as good as Emerald, they do many things better although Emerald is a different experience that still really holds up.

People who don't like gen 5 are completely different from the profile of people who criticize the 3DS era. Gen 5 is everything I want from Pokémon, XY is Kanto 2.0 and ORAS is the biggest disappointment I have in the franchise.

At the end of the day there will always be people who don't like a gen, trying to pass anything as fact like some people do is stupid. Gen 1 and 6 are my least favorite but I still like them, I won't shit on gen 1 to try to elevate gen 7 lol.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love random challenges. They're fun and make for variety. Also, the thing I like the most in Pokémon is battling new unique boss characters and having that in the post-game is the best.

At the end of the day there will always be people who don't like a gen, trying to pass anything as fact like some people do is stupid. Gen 1 and 6 are my least favorite but I still like them, I won't shit on gen 1 to try to elevate gen 7 lol.
The point is that there's a group of people who feel like the franchise went wrong starting from XY when it contrasted with BW and they share a few general opinions. It's not like everyone is the same, I like SM for example, even though I dislike everything else since XY, but it means there are some general complaints that are made by a sizeable group of people: gen 1 pandering, poor map design, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I think me not liking RSE is why I like ORAS, plus it had PSS which pushes it to A tier by default for me. Same with XY.

Phew, I was NOT happy when I found out Sun and Moon didn't have it. I just needed to trade a Machoke, one simple thing that was easy and simple in Gen 1.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I love random challenges. They're fun and make for variety. Also, the thing I like the most in Pokémon is battling new unique boss characters and having that in the post-game is the best.

The point is that there's a group of people who feel like the franchise went wrong starting from XY when it contrasted with BW and they share a few general opinions. It's not like everyone is the same, I like SM for example, even though I dislike everything else since XY, but it means there are some general complaints that are made by a sizeable group of people: gen 1 pandering, poor map design, etc.
I also agree with the general complaints you mentioned, but that doesn't mean, to me, that there's been a decrease in quality. There are general complaints about every gen that most people usually share (gen 4 is slow, gen 5 is linear, gen 2 has a busted level curve, etc)

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I actually prefer ORAS to RSE. I liked the story, characters, and design a lot better among other things.

That started with gen 5. They started pushing gen 1 harder with B2W2 in response to the reaction BW got. Those Pokemon being in the game was the big selling point when they started talking about the games. The anime also started doing stuff like bringing back Charizard and giving Iris a Dragonite.
Nah it started with XY imo. It always made sense to me that BW2 would have older Pokemon in it to provide a difference experience from BW, but there's only like 38 Kanto Pokemon in that game out of 300.

XY was the one where it felt weirdly hollow about it, with whole plot beats and events just purely imitating R/B and in some cases the devs just rerunning Kanto Pokemon in a place where a new Pokemon would've gone, like with the legendary birds and Mewtwo postgame fights. That, combined with the lowest amount of new Pokemon in series history and folks got jaded. And things went on from there.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also agree with the general complaints you mentioned, but that doesn't mean, to me, that there's been a decrease in quality. There are general complaints about every gen that most people usually share (gen 4 is slow, gen 5 is linear, gen 2 has a busted level curve, etc)
Welp, to me there's a very sharp decline in quality, content and general "freshness" from BW/BW2 to XY/ORAS. Feels like they jumped into an abyss quality wise. Then SM started recovering it and they brought it down by ruining the story, the best aspect of Alola, in USUM and then jumped straight into the hole with LGPE.

But SwSh looks fine so far and I think it'll be good.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, to me there's a very sharp decline in quality, content and general "freshness" from BW/BW2 to XY/ORAS. Feels like they jumped into an abyss quality wise. Then SM started recovering it and they brought it down by ruining the story, the best aspect of Alola, in USUM and then jumped straight into the hole with LGPE.

But SwSh looks fine so far and I think it'll be good.
I also felt the sharp decline because of XY, but every game since has been totally fine to me... well except Let's Go, but for my own sanity I'll never consider that game as anything more than a weird experiment