• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chuche

Feb 24, 2019
I just hope, not to be bombarded with information. Whith Soon and Moon we had overinformation...

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
After watching the trailer again, I found Groukey to have much less screen time than the other too...you can only clearly see him when he is at the top of the chimney.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Grookey is "Groove" and "Monkey".

Its french name is Ouistempo, another reference to music. Plus he was using his stick to tap a stone metronome-like in the trailer.
Υep. I wonder though what its secondary typing would be, cause a music based fairy type after Primarina is dull, and psychic or dark would be awfully boring for me. I hope its not Grass/Dark like some suggest cause that would ruin it for me.
I was hoping for maybe a different art style but I think it still looks great and looks like a ton of fun. Can't wait to play it they're literally giving people the stuff back that didn't like Let's Go, lol are people still complaining?
Apparently all the controversial and poor design choices are exactly what the series needs to move forward and Gamefreak removing them means the franchise is ruined forever.
Remember when Black and White were announced and this was all we got? Lol

pokemon-black-white-starter-town.jpg
pokemon-black-white-bridge.jpg
pokemon-black-white-city.jpg
And remember how in the course of 5 months they redid Castelia almost entirely in the graphics department and touched up a lot of the game?

pokemon_xy-18__large.jpg

And remember when XY was revealed and Lumiose was in an incomplete state as well as a the other environments being nowhere near finished in terms of textures and aesthetic? Yeah I think nobody in this thread does. This is nothing new for Gamefreak. A couple of pixelated textures and some dubious particle effects are childs play for Gamefreak when it comes to polishing their games, the games are gonna look much cleaner when E3 comes along.

If they'd just use "BF rules" for gyms they'd solve everything
  1. Have you use the same number of Pokemon as the leader, but level uncapped
  2. Have different gyms have different rulesets or permanent weather/fields
I feel this is gonna be something that might happen or at least partially with the Football aspect.
I really wanted Pokemon Z. I'm still kind of mad about Gamefreak doing Kalos dirty.
Kalos Postgame is a lock imo, and no one will see it coming.

Another thing I wondered. How will they handle a vertical map in game? Like, unless its always zoomed in, that thing will look cramped as hell in handheld mode, and on tv mode as well there will be a whole lot of nothing surrounding the map. I wonder perhaps if in game its actually on its side?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I would agree if you were talking about some small independent developers or a good series but mediocre sales.
Pokemon regularly has 15 million sales at 40$ backed by one of the biggest company, the Pokemon company and funded by Nintendo.
Now it will sell for 60$ a 50% increase in price.
The above excuse doesn't work with Pokemon

They might be funded splendidly but if you only have a small team, you can only do so much, right? Or am I seeing this wrong?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Woah that's pretty cool. I saw Grookey can be groovy + monkey. Score/bunny.

What gives the idea for Sobble to be arts?
I was thinking that going with the themes of the other 2 Sobble is a shy reclusive type which works well with the idea of the arts. and since it is a chameleon it is possible it's final evolution will be more colourful, confident and vibrant

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Υep. I wonder though what its secondary typing would be, cause a music based fairy type after Primarina is dull, and psychic or dark would be awfully boring for me. I hope its not Grass/Dark like some suggest cause that would ruin it for me.

Apparently all the controversial and poor design choices are exactly what the series needs to move forward and Gamefreak removing them means the franchise is ruined forever.

And remember how in the course of 5 months they redid Castelia almost entirely in the graphics department and touched up a lot of the game?

pokemon_xy-18__large.jpg

And remember when XY was revealed and Lumiose was in an incomplete state as well as a the other environments being nowhere near finished in terms of textures and aesthetic? Yeah I think nobody in this thread does. This is nothing new for Gamefreak. A couple of pixelated textures and some dubious particle effects are childs play for Gamefreak when it comes to polishing their games, the games are gonna look much cleaner when E3 comes along.

I feel this is gonna be something that might happen or at least partially with the Football aspect.

Kalos Postgame is a lock imo, and no one will see it coming.

Another thing I wondered. How will they handle a vertical map in game? Like, unless its always zoomed in, that thing will look cramped as hell in handheld mode, and on tv mode as well there will be a whole lot of nothing surrounding the map. I wonder perhaps if in game its actually on its side?
A postgame is the last thing we should take for granted as the past told us.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I'm fine with VGC + the special rules tournaments! My fav Pokémon tournament ever was a 6v6 triples tournament excludive to Japan called Pikachu Cup where you could use max stage 2 Pokémon. Love stupid stuff like that.
That sounds awesome!

I really wish GF would let us make custom rulesets and clauses like Smash does. It would be fun to do Little Cups etc. once in a while. Instead they allow everything in non-ranked formats, and not allow certain formats in ranked, which makes for a miserable experience x amount of times.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I've resolved to not agonize about whether to go into the game unspoiled or look at any data mining that may surface before release this time.

I'll be digging right into those datadumps as soon as they're available.

Heh yeah, I heavily rely on datamines myself to do early teambuilding, and choosing my versions, since I mainly play Pokemon for battling online. For example, I choose Popplio in Sun because it was the starter that didn't need egg moves, and I chose Let's Go Eevee because it's a far better Pokemon competitively than Pikachu, something we only knew after the new moves were datamined.

Oct 26, 2017
Heh yeah, I heavily rely on datamines myself to do early teambuilding, and choosing my versions, since I mainly play Pokemon for battling online. For example, I choose Popplio in Sun because it was the starter that didn't need egg moves, and I chose Let's Go Eevee because it's a far better Pokemon competitively than Pikachu, something we only knew after the new moves were datamined.

I usually solve this particular issue by getting the second version at some point...
Yeah, I'm one of those people. For me in-game is more about collecting than competitive play though, I have many boxed filled with battle ready mon that have not seen a whole lot of action...

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I think Kanto in Gold/Silver was just a matter of right place, right time, and Iwata's ability to compress the data for the games to a ridiculous degree.

I don't really think we'll ever see that again, unfortunately. I'm skeptical that we'll even get a postgame at all beyond a Battle Tower and a legendary or two, honestly.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Trying to think, is this the first time we've ever had a mainline Mario, Zelda and Pokėmon game on the same system in the same year?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Does anyone have prerelease screenshots for X/Y and S/M, along with final screenshots to show how they polished?
https://www.serebii.net/xy/pics.shtml
All XY screenshots. Lumiose city is the most obvious, but they also updated the grass texture, added some basic geometry for the dirt path to be slightly depressed compared to the grass, added some depth to the battpe scenes which were a bit flat in the background, and other small touches.
https://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pics.shtml
SM on the other hand had far less obvious touch ups if at all because they showed it relatively late compared to previous games and probably hid some of the uglier stuff.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Trying to think, is this the first time we've ever had a mainline Mario, Zelda and Pokėmon game on the same system in the same year?
... wow, this actually is the first time! They got pretty close in 2013 with A Link Between Worlds and X/Y, but Mario was on the Wii U that year instead.

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
I think Kanto in Gold/Silver was just a matter of right place, right time, and Iwata's ability to compress the data for the games to a ridiculous degree.

I don't really think we'll ever see that again, unfortunately. I'm skeptical that we'll even get a postgame at all beyond a Battle Tower and a legendary or two, honestly.
The area in the north seems to be more than the league.
I hope they will impliment a battle frontier, it's just to good to get lost in the different facilities and face the people there. Imagine if they would integrate a online facility

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Looking up some more prerelease screenshots, SM was actually the first game and then Let's Go as well had no obvious graphical impurities compared to the final product. I'm actual kinda surprised Gamefreak didn't have an issue with releasing a trailer with em after a ln entire gen of avoiding that.
so gyms are officially dead huh....
Gyms are now Footie Stadiums. Now if its a general sports theme or literally the Premier League it remains to be seen.
The area in the north seems to be more than the league.
I hope they will impliment a battle frontier, it's just to good to get lost in the different facilities and face the people there. Imagine if they would integrate a online facility
People are expecting London to be the last area we explore, but with the trains I can see it being visited at least once by the 3rd badge. That ain't gonna be the league nor the post game.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so gyms are officially dead huh....
No? They're confirmed to be there on the official website:
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield will be set in Galar, an expansive region with many environments—idyllic countryside, contemporary cities, thick forests, and craggy, snow-covered mountains. The people and Pokémon live together in this region, and they've worked together to develop the industries here.
You'll visit the various Gyms in the Galar region, aiming for the enviable and admirable title of Champion!

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
So proud of my six year old son. Showed him the trailer for the new games this morning, the one with the new starters, he took one quick look at it and said "Not actual game footage."

Deleted member 54216

Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Looking up some more prerelease screenshots, SM was actually the first game and then Let's Go as well had no obvious graphical impurities compared to the final product. I'm actual kinda surprised Gamefreak didn't have an issue with releasing a trailer with em after a ln entire gen of avoiding that.

Gyms are now Footie Stadiums. Now if its a general sports theme or literally the Premier League it remains to be seen.

People are expecting London to be the last area we explore, but with the trains I can see it being visited at least once by the 3rd badge. That ain't gonna be the league nor the post game.
I see, alright.
The postgame could also be the Island, they teased in sun and moon idk

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
For me the best part of the trailer was how the Pokémon models look:

ZdUS5LS.gif

MRrblsB.gif

E2HLL7H.gif

Seem like the models from Sun/Moon upresed. Got no problem with that but hope they put more work into some of them. Pikachu and some others have a ton of work in them but others kinda eh.

Also!

Do you guys think we will finally get remade gen 1-3 sounds!? I don't need them voice acted but I need them to not sound like gameboy mono audio lol.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Literally the only issue I currently have is that the frame rate looks rough and I thought the frame rate on Doom and Wolfenstein was fine. That and the return of Random battles and other backwards gameplay decisions that Let's Go made improvements on, this is the Code Veronica of Pokémon compared to Let's Go (the RE3 of Pokémon)

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Why exactly do people want random encounters to be around still? Why not like Earthbound style? I don't see what having random tall grass encounters adds to the game.

Also baffling Scorbunny is leading the poll and Grookey is last. The starters are not my favorite but at least Grookey is ok.