• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I think the general consensus is that it's good, but it's not enough.

I'm just so genuinely confused at the development process here. After they revealed Let's Go, they announced that a new "mainline hardcore RPG" was in the works, but it seems like these games are more reminiscent of Let's Go than anything.

Since 2012, we've had a Pokemon game every year except 2015. This was the first CONSOLE game in the mainline series, so naturally, we'd have higher standards. It seems like SwSh definitely needed more time in the oven in order to meet fan expectations. Nintendo was willing to delay Animal Crossing to 2020 because they were concerned about crunch and polishing the game, but it's too bad they couldn't do that for Pokemon

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I mean, fair's fair- Explorers of Sky has a really good story, but, like all Mystery Dungeon games, the gameplay is something to be tolerated at best, rather than something enjoyable.

what is wrong with you people.

I loved the gameplay in Mystery Dungeon games(besides gates), the dungeon diving, figuring out how to best combine moves, seeds, orbs and later wands.

Like people always want challenge from Pokemon, and the Zero-Isles were as far as i know the hardest any pokemon game ever got.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
So? as expected, a very good game with a lot of heart and charm.

Sure, the game made some decisions that deserved criticism, but people took things too far, lied a lie to themselves that this is a trash game, and believed their own-made fiction and started to push their narratives on every single piece of info, no they even made issues out of nothing (like the night/day cycle they imagined).

I've seen this many times before:

- Donky Kong Tropical Freeze: another DK ?! why not Metroid? why not AAA GAME BY THE AMERICAN STUDIO RETRO TO SHOW OFF THE WIIU HARDWARE?
and it turned out that Tropical Freeze is probably the best 2D platforming game ever made.

- Mario 3D World: a 3DS game! creative bankruptcy! those people should look at Sonic Lost World and learn!
in the end? the game was insanely creative, and many fans consider it to be the best 3D Mario ever made.

If a game doesn't have THE BEST AND MOST REALISTIC GRAPHICSSSS ever, then it surely is bad and a low effort!

Don't misunderstand me, there is a discussion to be had about Pokemon Sword and Shield and GF decisions, but i hope the that will be more rational now, without trashing what seems like a good and polished game that is full of heart and charm all the time.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
We should change this from a thread about sword and shield, and turn it into an outrage that's universally justified. How bw2 was robbed
50923.jpg

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What I'm learning is that GF can cut massive amounts of content from the game, but as long as it's not something journalists would typically spend time with, it ultimately will not affect review scores or sales much if at all.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Other series have cut features and took a lot of shit for it.

It matters how and what. Trimming fat can be a good thing. If there are specific features that were cut, that if included would make it a better game, go ahead and make your case. Note, I said a better game, not the game you personally want.

So much of the criticism of new games of well established series is long time fans criticizing what a game isn't, instead of what it is.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
80 average? About what I'd expect, and pretty much all I need from it. First time I'm looking to really fall back into one since Gold/Silver.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
People don't know anything about Pokemon games
unknown.png

Ugh. I still don't get that to be honest, I mean Mystery Dungeon is a series with a lot of history behind it beyond Pokemon. It's beloved stuff *for* its gameplay.

It's not as accessible as mainline Pokemon so on a personal level it's of course fine if it isn't your cup of tea, that's to be expected, but the way MD has been completely dismissed in the past will never sit right with me. At least the most recent Shiren game was received positively.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus wept

They'll always get away with everything for the rest of time, it seems.
Regardless if you think these are great scores or not, it is still the lowest scored mainline game by a decent amount. 80 is about the bare minimum I'd expect a Pokemon game to get regardless of its quality.

My hope is it's still enough to get Gamefreak's attention

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Review by IGN with 9.3/10 "amazing" score on youtube have 3k likes and 3k dislikes. Guess people disagree.

AqCT6hy

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
It's a drop of 7, not 6. Please stick to the facts.

Didn't the guy you quoted saif it is down from 86/87 to 80? Could be also either 6 or 7. Stick to the facts. ;)
Come on, no need to be upset I'm just messing around with you. Damn, it's just a game and tbh I don't care about those numbers. I will get the game mainly for my son to play it and I know he will enjoy it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Pokémon Assault and Battery looks like the bastard child of Bubsy 3D and Sonic 2006. Every time I see a new challenge in the game, I want to punch through the screen. I have nothing but seething hatred for the graphics, sound design, story, and gameplay.

But despite all those issues, Pokemon Assault and Battery still is Pokémon. The formula is a little long in the tooth, but it's always a wonderfully charming one.

Also you can knit wool sweaters with your Pokémon and that's adorable.

9.75"
Is there an existing Pokemon review generator lol

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this many times before:

- Donky Kong Tropical Freeze: another DK ?! why not Metroid? why not AAA GAME BY THE AMERICAN STUDIO RETRO TO SHOW OFF THE WIIU HARDWARE?
and it turned out that Tropical Freeze is probably the best 2D platforming game ever made.
Actually, for the review thread it was more

WHAT THE FUCK GAMESPOT HOW DARE YOU GIVE TROPICAL FREEZE THE BEST 2D PLATFORMER EVER A 6 OUT OF 10

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It matters how and what. Trimming fat can be a good thing. If there are specific features that were cut, that if included would make it a better game, go ahead and make your case. Note, I said a better game, not the game you personally want.

So much of the criticism of new games of well established series is long time fans criticizing what a game isn't, instead of what it is.
I don't see how anything cut in swish made it better.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
snip

tale as old as time

Let's group them

New gen

Y - 88
X - 87
Sun - 87
Moon - 87
Black - 87
White - 87
Diamond - 85
Pearl - 85
Ruby - 82
Sword - 81
Shield - 81

Remakes

HeartGold - 87
SoulSilver - 87
OmegaRuby - 83
AlphaSapphire - 82
Leaf Green - 81
Fire Red - 81
Let's Go Eevee - 80
Let's Go Pikachu - 79

Third versions

Ultra Sun - 84
Ultra Moon - 84
Platinum - 83
Black 2 - 80
White 2 - 80
Emerald - 76

The last 2 games GF put out are the less critically acclaimed titles of their kind.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm learning is that GF can cut massive amounts of content from the game, but as long as it's not something journalists would typically spend time with, it ultimately will not affect review scores or sales much if at all.
They didn't "cut massive amounts of content from the game"

What they did was NOT include features or Pokemon that were present in previous games - that doesn't mean that THIS game is bad.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too surprised by the review scores. They mostly read like Pokemon reviews for any generation, that is highlighting the strong mechanics and charm inherent to Pokemon, glossing over technical deficiencies, and barely touching on the 'hardcore' features. The Eurogamer review surprisingly really nails the apparent issues for Sw/Sh. But I guess none of it matters, because instead I should just grow up.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's too bad to hear that the story isn't very good. I thought they had found their stride with Sun and Moon, but apparently this is a step back. Story isn't the kind of thing that necessarily needs more money or dev time, so I wonder what happened there.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Emerald has a 76 lol. It still holds up 15 years later. 60fps and no gates. It deserved better.
I've said it before, but I honestly don't know if reviewers even care to be critical about Pokemon games. With others you'll see comments on tech, performance, comparisons to previous titles and others in the genre, actual analysis. With Pokemon "Pretty easy, kinda the same as last time, not the best looking, but I had fun 🤷🏽‍♂️. 8-9/10"

However, at 8/10 these are easily the lowest new generation titles the series has had at this point, by a fairly significant degree

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the guy you quoted saif it is down from 86/87 to 80? Could be also either 6 or 7. Stick to the facts. ;)
Come on, no need to be upset I'm just messing around with you. Damn, it's just a game and tbh I don't care about those numbers. I will get the game mainly for my son to play it and I know he will enjoy it.
That person was stating false information to suit a narrative. X/Y were 88 and Sun/Moon 87, SwSh is an 80. 7 is generous, arguably one could go with the 8.

I'm just messing around too lol people in this thread are really saying stuff like "stop pushing the 78 narrative, it's a 79"

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These reviews and scores show once again how strong the foundation of this series is. Regardless of how "bad" everything around it is, the core gameplay loop is as fun as ever. Got the feeling that there's little incentive for them to make substantial changes, sadly.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Sure, the game made some decisions that deserved criticism, but people took things too far, lied a lie to themselves that this is a trash game, and believed their own-made fiction and started to push their narratives on every single piece of info, no they even made issues out of nothing (like the night/day cycle they imagined).
The day/night cycle thing was quickly disproven and everyone moved on. The rest of the criticims people had were legitimate.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
A 9.3 from ign means GF will ignore all american criticism lol. Sales gonna be as high as usual maybe higher. This series isn't taking any leaps
Lets be honest.

Euro(gamer)peans just gave it less glowing review because they cant appreciate pokemon games like refined americans do.
One might even say they fly above.

please dont kill me, this is a reference

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Around what I expected.
High 70s, low 80s.

I didn't think reviews would impact sales too much, but with standard Pokémon reviews, I expect sales to be uncumbered by any baggage hardcore fans will likely experience.

I expect this to be the best selling games since 2nd gen.