• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've always found these comments a bit patronizing.

Like yeah, some people's opinions on a game change with time (I certainly changed a lot on Sun/Moon when I tried replaying them), but in most cases, people know what they like and what they don't.

I don't think people tend to do total 180s on their opinions of a game but I do think the honeymoon period is a thing. When you first play a game so long as you're liking I think most people tend to focus on the good and ignore the bad, but as time passes the initial "wow" of all the good stuff wears off and the lesser aspects may become more noticeable.

Again, not trying to say that people ever really go from loving a game to hating it, but they may be more willing to discuss any given game's faults as time goes on.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
For people who may find it helpful:

www.resetera.com

Pokémon Sword and Shield Trading Thread

Since the other thread is moving too fast, I figured we should have a dedicated trading thread. The GTS is sadly gone so if you guys want a Pokémon please make a link code and post your request. You can make a link code using Y-Comm> Set Link Code. mods please close thread if not allowed PM...

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I've always found these comments a bit patronizing.

Like yeah, some people's opinions on a game change with time (I certainly changed a lot on Sun/Moon when I tried replaying them), but in most cases, people know what they like and what they don't.

Ehh I would normally agree with this but I've seen the honeymoon phase in real time with SM and XY. XY especially sticks out in my mind because I myself experienced it. Everyone at first says the new games are the best Pokemon games ever but then about 3 months later people are back to hating on it and saying the previous games were better.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh I would normally agree with this but I've seen the honeymoon phase in real time with SM and XY. XY especially sticks out in my mind because I myself experienced it. Everyone at first says the games are the best Pokemon games ever but then about 3 months later people are back to hating on it and saying the previous games were better.
With bw2 I guess it's an ever lasting honey moon.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ehh I would normally agree with this but I've seen the honeymoon phase in real time with SM and XY. XY especially sticks out in my mind because I myself experienced it. Everyone at first says the games are the best Pokemon games ever but then about 3 months later people are back to hating on it and saying the previous games were better.

Some of us were ahead of our time. I said it was the worst Pokemon game after finishing it.

(I've still played it four times start to finish oh god what is wrong with me)

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With bw2 I guess it's an ever lasting honey moon.

I think "third" versions and remakes are kind of immune to this by virtue of being third versions. No one's really expecting much from them anyway, and in B2W2's case GF even exceeded expectations.

Some of us were ahead of our time. I said it was the worst Pokemon game after finishing it.

(I've still played it four times start to finish oh god what is wrong with me)

Yeah XY is still in my Top 3 most played 3DS games and while I know I enjoyed the PSS stuff I'm still like "wow what was I thinking"

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Because Game Freak wanted people to be more sociable.
That's kinda contradictory since Masuda said the the same when asked why he made GTS.

It's easy for us to be able to trade without GTS because we already use a social platform that can facilitate trades. That's not the case for everybody nor is it as convenient.

There are other ways to make the game more sociable via trading without removing features. Like improved stats, shiny, whatever for direct or surprise trades.

I've made my peace with the game missing the feature. I just hope that they bring it back in the next game and it's not locked to Pokemon Home or whatever or I swear I'll lose my shit.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
I mean ok but this is pretty weird to me. If it's just the "feeling" of knowing you got all the pokemon in the game I don't know why you wouldn't also have the "feeling" of knowing you don't actually have all the pokemon at once and never will.
I have seen this sentiment for the Let's Go games and I kinda feel the same way you do about it, to me, it sort of looks likes some people would rather trick themselves in believing they caught them all. However, I can see the viewpoint of the Regional Dex feeling less like the goal and more like a stepping stone to the National Dex in past games.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
You asked me to give a valid reason, I gave one. I don't see why it has to match up with an interview from 2014, things change.

I didn't think anyone in the "negative" camp believed anything Masuda says anyway?
I gave that because Masuda or GF never really stated why they removed it. The validity of it is questionable which is my problem with it.

Then the positive camp has to take what he said in that interview as truth unless stated otherwise.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I remember a lot of people complaining about BW2 when it released for being too similar to BW1, and it's reputation only really improved after X/Y came and disappointed.

Gen 5 in general has benefitted from a bit from both hindsight and problems in future gens making the good stuff in gen 5 even more apparent. I enjoyed the games upon release but it's only been recently upon replaying them after playing gen 6/7 that I really realized how special they are.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think people tend to do total 180s on their opinions of a game but I do think the honeymoon period is a thing. When you first play a game so long as you're liking I think most people tend to focus on the good and ignore the bad, but as time passes the initial "wow" of all the good stuff wears off and the lesser aspects may become more noticeable.

Again, not trying to say that people ever really go from loving a game to hating it, but they may be more willing to discuss any given game's faults as time goes on.
I actually wonder if that'll really happen this time around if only because a bunch of people started out disliking the game.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
One thing that probably is definitely not helping the divisiveness of this game is that I think Sword and Shield have one of the best beginning sections of any Pokemon game ever. Everything up to the first gym is great, magical, etc., but the pacing really really falls apart later on and the game almost feels unfinished with plot threads being shoved in your face out of nowhere over the course of about 30 minutes that have nothing to do with the first ~20 hours of the game, not helped by the fact that the game is very front-loaded. I think as more people finish the game, people might be a bit more critical of the latter half of the game. Not that they have to, obviously. Criticism is subjective.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
More reviews coming in, and …… sigh,

I see a 100, 95, 94, 91, and 90. Critics will never stop giving pokemon a free pass.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is entirely worth considering that people like these games.
I don't remember the last time I had this much fun with Pokemon.
Ah I'm curious then, what is it about the games In your opinion that is new that makes it more fun than previous Pokémon games. I tried the first hour (on my friends account) and it seemed like more of the same. But if things ramp up I might give it another go.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Ah I'm curious then, what is it about the games In your opinion that is new that makes it more fun than previous Pokémon games. I tried the first hour (on my friends account) and it seemed like more of the same. But if things ramp up I might give it another go.
The Wild Area and raids. Playing online, seeing other players walk by, doing raids, finding powerful Pokémon in the Wild Area, it's really adictive and fun.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
personally i'd give the game a 7/10

enjoyable but nothing really incredible

Wild Area is only half realized imo

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I legit did not know that. That's amazing. Along with the wild area and Pokémon in the field this seems like a genuine step forward for the series. It's a shame about the presentation which still feels really archaic but in terms of gameplay that sounds amazing!

(I still might hold off for a third version though...)

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It's still just Pokemon, it's just Pokemon done well. It's not as suffocating as Sun/Moon were, because it does give me the freedom to go off on my own and try my own thing (and in a great systemic open area that I hope becomes the basis for future games in the series), the story is still nonsensical, but it has the decency to stay out of the way, and there's a ridiculous variety of monsters to catch (I'm 21 hours in and have five full boxes of Pokemon; previously I have only managed to hit five boxes in a game once, and that was after 70 hours of play).
It's got gorgeous art design, great atmosphere, the music is cool, and I love fucking around with the Max Raids for hours on end at times.
There's no "click" moment where the game suddenly becomes "better", honestly. But i do think you should at least play it till you get to the Wild Area before you decide to write it off (or not). You very well may still not care for it, but I think the Wild Area is its greatest strength.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Wild Area isn't half realized, it's a gigantic leap forward. It's just that it can be built upon even more.
i don't really know if its that gigantic of a leap. to me it just feels like a really big wide flat route with a lot of pokemon in it.

its fine, but it feels empty and simple to me. it would be nice if there were dungeons or something attached to it.

looking forward to see if it continues to be built upon though. there is definitely potential there.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still just Pokemon, it's just Pokemon done well. It's not as suffocating as Sun/Moon were, because it does give me the freedom to go off on my own and try my own thing (and in a great systemic open area that I hope becomes the basis for future games in the series), the story is still nonsensical, but it has the decency to stay out of the way, and there's a ridiculous variety of monsters to catch (I'm 21 hours in and have five full boxes of Pokemon; previously I have only managed to hit five boxes in a game once, and that was after 70 hours of play).
It's got gorgeous art design, great atmosphere, the music is cool, and I love fucking around with the Max Raids for hours on end at times.
There's no "click" moment where the game suddenly becomes "better", honestly. But i do think you should at least play it till you get to the Wild Area before you decide to write it off (or not). You very well may still not care for it, but I think the Wild Area is its greatest strength.
I agree with you, but I'd say that there's a moment were it does click with you. I was mildly enjoying the game until the open area appeared, from there I started to enjoy the game a lot and it clicked. Now I'm 20 hours in and I love it.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
i don't really know if its that gigantic of a leap. it just feels like a really wide flat route with a lot of pokemon in it.

its fine, but it feels very empty and simple

looking forward to see if it continues to be built upon though. there is definitely potential there.
Flat in the sense of not having altitude variation, yeah. But they have a desert, a tundra, forest, grassland, and loads of water bodies there, along with a lot of systemic elements at play. That, along with the Raids and the MMO style interactions with other players, I think contributes to it being a big shift.
With that said, however, i totally agree there is potential for it all to be built on even further going forward. Hopefully that's what Game Freak does!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
No one's really expecting much from them anyway, and in B2W2's case GF even exceeded expectations.

I mean for my money I'd go so far as to say BW2 is the only third version with a purpose to exist, but I still am disappointed at the relative lack of change over the original games. I did pretty full completion of both HeartGold and Black 1 but dropped Black 2 after a while. It's not bad, but it retains most of the flaws that BW1 had.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I agree with you, but I'd say that there's a moment were it does click with you. I was mildly enjoying the game until the open area appeared, from there I started to enjoy the game a lot and it clicked. Now I'm 20 hours in and I love it.
Yeah, that's basically why I advised that they play to at least the Wild Area haha. If they're still not on board then, they probably won't be ever.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My question about the Wild Area. Does it feel like Hyrule Field, a gigantic area connecting some or most of the zones in the game?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Flat in the sense of not having altitude variation, yeah. But they have a desert, a tundra, forest, grassland, and loads of water bodies there, along with a lot of systemic elements at play. That, along with the Raids and the MMO style interactions with other players, I think contributes to it being a big shift.
With that said, however, i totally agree there is potential for it all to be built on even further going forward. Hopefully that's what Game Freak does!
there is biome variation but it feels kinda cramped. like the desert area is really small.

it's definitely a nice concept, and it can be fun. the raids are fun. i just wish there was more to explore and discover. it's a fine start though for sure.

something to hopefully see in the future.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
My question about the Wild Area. Does it feel like Hyrule Field, a gigantic area connecting some or most of the zones in the game?
Yes and no. It's a hub connecting, I think, three major cities? But it's far denser, far more varied, and far more integral if you want to actually catch Pokémon or engage with most of the multiplayer content in the game.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
there is biome variation but it feels kinda cramped. like the desert area is really small.

it's definitely a nice concept, and it can be fun. the raids are fun. i just wish there was more to explore and discover. it's a fine start though for sure.

something to hopefully see in the future.
Yeah, I agree fully. Hopefully next time they make the whole region a Wild Area. The experiment was successful, now commit to it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I'd say the best analogy I can come up with is the Union Room / Wi-Fi plaza that's also a route. It's open, yes, but it's also pretty gated by the traditional RPG leveling restrictions.

I wound up liking it a lot more than I expected, though I've still only put like a single afternoon into it.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
And of course, the parody reviews turned out to be hilariously accurate. GF gets even more passes even after crossing line after line.

Things will just continue to get worse while everyone just claps "Still fun! 9/10"

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
User warned: Hostility towards another member
And of course, the parody reviews turned out to be hilariously accurate. GF gets even more passes even after crossing line after line.

Things will just continue to get worse while everyone just claps "Still fun! 9/10"
I mean, this is actually tiresome.
"GF gets even more passes" Jesus fuck, is it actually this hard to just accept others enjoy it? People are posting in this very thread how and why they enjoy it. Grow the fuck up.