• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version are you choosing?

• You have my Sword!

• A warrior carries his shield for the sake of the entire line

Results are only viewable after voting.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Seems great. Wild Area looks cool and the new Pokémon designs are great.

I really really really hope Dynamax is optional after the tutorial for it.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
This game looks way better than the initial trailers by far.

I guess that's patience is a virtue considering the negatives I saw from the first trailer was that it "looks" the same.

D1P Shield Version.

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized, they played us like a damn fiddle when they promoted the new Godzillla movie at the Press Conference a week ago and Ishihara said "It was nice of you to so casually insert that bit of news that was so completely unrealted to Pokémon". They knew what they were doing.
Lol, I completely forgot about that!

Jan 2, 2018
Art that's probably already been posted;

iJpGjC7.png

Okay, I've found my new favourite Pokémon! What a wonderful design!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Everything in there was incredible. Will be my first Pokemon since Platinum.

Right now I'm thinking Sword, but will have to see the version exclusives.

Also liking everything in that 4Chan leak.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
The website talks about it as though it's one area, but what some people are somehow missing is that it says it connects several towns and cities, so it's not small.

Posting the text again:

"There is a vast expanse of land in the Galar region which is known as the Wild Area. The Wild Area is full of nature as far as the eye can see, and it connects several different towns and cities."

Bolding certain parts because some people still seem to think it's small or only involves an area near one town.

Thanks!

Sounds to me like it'll be pretty massive and just be one huge area compromised of just about everything we see outside of towns and major areas, like hyrule field on roids. Works for me. Especially with the dynamic day/night and weather system, should be interesting. A lot of the areas they showed roaming pokemon in look pretty diverse in the trailer, so I'd imagine there are different biomes in the wild area as well.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Bad: legendary designs, dynamax (mega but less interesting), graphics from 2012
Good: overworld pokemon, the other pokemon designs

Shield doggy is ATROCIOUS. Thank god for the sheep.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
That was a great trailer, much better than the first one. Getting more hyped!

I love all the Pokemon designs so far, it seems they have found a good balance after gen 5 and some misteps in gen 6.

Im torn on the Dynamax system. I like it because it means we will have challenging gym battles (especially if we choose not to make use of the feature, like I will), but I hat the fact that the raid battles, which look cool and are probably gonna be very challenging if Pokemon Go is anything to go by, are locked behind multiplayer and it sucks I'll never be able to enjoy them because of that.

As for the graphics, they're all right. Textures still look bad and I'm sure they won't change much until release, and the Wild area looks a bit barren, but free camera goes a long way to make the game feel more modern, and the art direction is on the right place.

skipperboy

Jan 24, 2019
Also, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MILO???

It's like a buff dude with a toddlers face. It's going to give me nightmares. Maybe this art direct was on drugs when he made this game... sigh

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This gen is shaping up to be cool as hell, can't wait for November.

Only gripe is that somehow Pokemon can't follow you...

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
After rewatching the Direct, I've put together all of my impressions, and few big, lingering questions. Regardless of how those questions are answered, I am still extremely excited about these games. I haven't said this since the lead-up to Gen 5 (in which I was kind of right), but Sword and Shield have the potential to be the best games in the series. I absolutely cannot wait.

POSITIVES
-Wild Area is a great compromise for the differing viewpoints on how wild encounters should happen. I am very glad this isn't the whole game, because I'm still fond of random encounters.
-Wild Area camera control seems like a test-bed for future games. Whereas I'm iffy about roaming Pokemon continuing, I'm confident this will.
-City environments look truly cool. Like a dream for someone who has been playing since Red/Blue.
-Human/Pokemon interactions in towns feels similarly exciting.
-Corviknight being the fast-travel mechanic shows they're easing up (a little) on Gen 1 pandering so that they can show us how these original monster fit into Galar. Yay world-building!
-Speaking of world-building, audiences/stadiums for gym battles is still very good.
-Aaand speaking of gyms, I'm glad those are back. Trials lacked the gravitas of a good gym.
-New regular Pokemon all look great.
-Sword legendary is good.
-Raids are cool. Great lesson to have learned from POGO.
-Hop might be an asshole.
-Leon is DEFINITELY an asshole, regardless of whether or not Masuda thinks he is.
-Sonia's hair-twirl animation is great, and a nice example of how much more expressive this game is than its predecessors.
-Female professor!
-Double Pack is a nice convenience. Here's hoping there's some sort of discount, however small.

NEGATIVES
-No following Pokemon. Stings, but not an enormous fault.
-Dynamaxing looks dumb. I'm fatigued by one-and-done mechanics at this point. I was fine with Z-Moves.
-Milo is disturbing
-Shield legendary looks BAD. The more I look, the less I hate it, though.
-The boxart ain't great (but like who really cares)

QUESTIONS
-Voice Acting? There was no text box under Hop when he was shown flapping his mouth during the trailer. Either they edited it out to keep from spoiling something else, or this game is at least partially voiced.
-Quests? This is a thing no one else has asked for, but which I crave. I want a quest log in Pokemon! It's not disproven yet!
-Progression? We still don't know if the journey will be a straight trek from south to north or if we'll be hopping around/choosing between branches.
-Behaviors? Do wandering Pokemon in the Wild Area have specific programmed behavior and tendencies, or do they just plop around like dipshits ala Let's Go?

I should point out to you that random battles in this game are essentially you seeing an exclamation point in the grass that you go run to. Though they did hint that there will be times you will get ambushed in the grass as well ON TOP of pokemon roaming both the routes AND the Open areas

So yeah there is a lot of hybrid things going on! Its pretty exciting and will really mix up how you encounter and capture pokemon

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017

Thank fuck for that.

Either stick to what you've already started (Megaevo, Z-Moves) or add to the base mechanics of battles, stop it with this extra gimmick supermove shit stuffed on top of everything else into every new game

It's annoying that they keep adding this shit and having to make later games backwards compatible with it, so you have to find all the mega stones again in SuMo and now I wouldn't be surprised if we have to go through all that again + Z-Crystals in SS.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Any guesses/info on how the raids with multiplayer work? In the trailer you can see people already waiting at the beacon and a few others running up at slightly different times...

Do we think that you connect with people and then they are persistent in your game (just not able to participate in story events/battles with you outside of the raids) or that you connect AT the raid beacons or you connect entering the wild area?

I'm curious how it will play.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doubted you? Brah no one knows who you are

You should watch what your saying cause your wrong. Try to be less rude especially when you dont understand who your talking about.

Uuhhh what? Personally attacking? What are you even talking about. I didn't even talk about Shield with anyone so far? Maybe don't make stuff up?

Pretty sure he means you saying a user is from bizaro world.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Time we start talking about the second best new Pokemon of the Direct, Dreadnaw.

A snapping tortoise/turtle ... how awesome is that? Though ... mediocre typing ... :[

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So looking at the the grass chimp's health, it got a 50 percent health boost rounded down, 41 to 61. I wonder if it will be 50 percent across all stats, different for each pokemon and how much more powerful the moves are. That does seem fairly significant and makes me wonder what will happen to megas. Too early to tell though, it may be different at later levels and maybe only HP and new moves are all you get. Perhaps they will also only let you use megas or dynamax once with some teams still being better using mega evolution.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I don't get Dynamax. Surely when one person uses it, the other person counters by using it, and then they just nullify each other so what has anyone gained?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm neutral on Dynamax but I don't hate it. I think it'll probably be fun.

Corviknight is best new Pokemon.
Wooloo is a cutie.
Gossifleur isn't anything special but Eldegoss is alright. I like its little cloak.
Drednaw doesn't really do it for me.

SHIELD WOLF > SWORD WOLF

Also mixed on raid battles, but that's probably just because I rarely do multiplayer stuff so eh.

The region and game look beautiful though. So excited.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
In tall grass or caves, wild Pokémon can jump out at you. Battles with wild Pokémon will occur when you run into Pokémon that you can see wandering around. Some Pokémon will pursue you once they see you, while others will run away.

Also, the ! mark that will appear above tall grass also seems to be an indicator of wild Pokémon hiding there!

6_05_pokemon_1_2x.jpg

Probably posted a bunch, but just in case, seeing overworld Pokemon and random battles are in the non Wild Area parts.

Oct 27, 2017
Any guesses/info on how the raids with multiplayer work? In the trailer you can see people already waiting at the beacon and a few others running up at slightly different times...

Do we think that you connect with people and then they are persistent in your game (just not able to participate in story events/battles with you outside of the raids) or that you connect AT the raid beacons or you connect entering the wild area?

I'm curious how it will play.

I'm guessing they're finally bringing back the PSS, except instead of icons you see trainers running around in the Wild Area. So you'll see a few of them and they'll refresh as they leave/on an interval. They already said you can exchange league cards/items with them (like O-Powers) and I'm assuming you can also battle, trade, and connect for Raid battles as well.

THE PSS IS BACK!