• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean competitively? They're both bad but the Alolan version is better because of its niche in Hail teams.

I speaking in terms of in-game, though I am basing my experience of Sandslash on the one I used on my Yellow team.

I used the Pokébank. This method only works when trading? I only have one 3DS.

You can't put items, eggs and certain Pokémon into Bank, if you want to trade item from one cart to another you need another 3DS.

Oct 26, 2017
Woah, has anyone else been using Isle level up? I didn't use it for anything other than EV training in Sun but that level function has got a whole box worth of Pokes into the 40's and I'm barely into the third island. This is gonna make me rethink what I want for my final in game team.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Woah, has anyone else been using Isle level up? I didn't use it for anything other than EV training in Sun but that level function has got a whole box worth of Pokes into the 40's and I'm barely into the third island. This is gonna make me rethink what I want for my final in game team.
I use it all the time, especially for EV training. A level 3 island will max out a stat in a day with some beans.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the wormhole stuff in this. The motion controls are abhorrent and control with the circle pad still feels awful.

Then you fly through an exit and get to explore an empty corridor with a contextless encounter. Even Megalopolis has like nothing going for it.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Play More option they added is such a huge improvement to the process, it makes you wonder why it wasn't like that in the first place. They just solved a problem that shouldn't have existed.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the wormhole stuff in this. The motion controls are abhorrent and control with the circle pad still feels awful.

Then you fly through an exit and get to explore an empty corridor with a contextless encounter. Even Megalopolis has like nothing going for it.

All true, yet there is a thrill to the hunt.

There's also one wormhole that is 100% must visit. All of the white ones are cool but one is mindblowingly so.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
I misenterpreted serebii's page on Ultra Wormholes and thought that when it said shinies are preset except for legendary pokémon, I didn't think that UB's counted as legendaries. I just casually pressed reset after randomly catching a shiny Pheromosa ;_;

Joe, if you're reading this, please add a clarification. Other sentences on the page seem to count UBs and legendaries as a different category.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
All true, yet there is a thrill to the hunt.

There's also one wormhole that is 100% must visit. All of the white ones are cool but one is mindblowingly so.

Unless they start going deep into that kind of stuff in, say, the next games, I can only get so invested in a crazy lore-tease like that.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh the surface Togedemaru looked to be another Pika clone but man I have been loving mine as Iron barb with rocky helmet is a deadly combo leaving the little roly-poly Pokémon to finish it off which was the major tacit I used against the totem Mimikyu, plus he's super cute especially when he's sleeping.

Komala on the other hand, while I like him I just can't see him being a viable team member as he offers nothing to the team while he has great attack stats he has terrible defense and speed stats, plus the fact that he doesn't evolve doesn't help him either.

I will probably keep on the team and then eventually swap him out for Poipole when I get the guy.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Man, USUM are so good they make me pissed about how unfinished SM are in comparison. "Oh shit, we need a tentpole release for the holidays but we gave up on Z! Just take like half of what we have done for Gen 8 so far and stick Zygarde in there, whatever"

Jester37

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it, the S.O.S. system is such a good idea imo. I like the idea that Pokemon will call for help and with the Adrenaline Orb you can keep a chain going for EV training, finding Pokemon with good IV's, hidden abilities, or even shiny hunting.

But what bothers me the most is the fact that there's 2 sets of RNG: Whether the Pokemon will call for help at all, and if it does, whether the help will actually appear or not. I'm chaining for some shiny 'mons right now and it's already annoying that a Pokemon will sometimes call for help just for nothing to arrive, then other times they won't call for help at all. Would have been a smoother system if the Pokemon called for help and got it 100% of the time (if it decides to call for help), or not called at all.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god

DQDywAvXUAAMtis.jpg

I literally came prepared cuz I was planning to catch a Beldum in a Heavy Ball, then I came across this! Managed to catch it thankfully.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Island 3 and Aether Foundation done.

Chandelure: Level 46
Lycanroc (Dusk): Level 42
Golisopod: Level 42
Gardevoir: Level 41
Zoroark: Level 43
Hawlucha: Level 44

Lusamine gave me a lot more of a challenge this time around. Probably due to not have a check on Milotic this time which is always very stong whenever the AI has one in game. Going to need to grind a little on Poni Island for the rematch, with the Ultraspace boosts the rematch will be even harder.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone of Ultra Moon/Ultra Sun give me a Buneary please?

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So, when are SOS battles activated? Since the beginning of the game or after the first Kahuna?

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, USUM are so good they make me pissed about how unfinished SM are in comparison. "Oh shit, we need a tentpole release for the holidays but we gave up on Z! Just take like half of what we have done for Gen 8 so far and stick Zygarde in there, whatever"

Honestly this is what I feeling myself as Ultra Sun and Moon feel less like an expansion and plays as what Sun and Moon should have been in the first place.

I am also disappointed that they didn't take the sequel route as I felt that the ending of Sun and Moon was clearly setting up for a sequel but nope Game Freak took the lazy route and pulled an alternate universe while ham fisting Necrozma's role into the story as I am currently just about to infiltrate the Aether Foundation headquarter and I don't get a sense that he will play a big role the game outside of the Ultra recon team mentioning him as the Blinding one, the plot still seems to be largely focused on Nebby.

Maybe it will get better as I play more but currently this is by far the weakest third version that I have ever played and as a game that is suppose to be the finale for gen 7, the last 3DS Pokémon game and the last game to be on the handheld this is very disappointing and regressive as Black and White 2 did it so much better.

Ultra Sun and Moon in my opinion should have taken the sequel route.

So, when are SOS battles activated? Since the beginning of the game or after the first Kahuna?

After you defeat the first totem Pokémon.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy moley.

Heal pulse?
Just False Swiping with Decidueye and then using Gengar to put it to sleep. Didn't have to worry about Take Down recoil since it can't hit Ghost types, and with Roto catch it only took about 5 tries till I caught it! Had a Master Ball ready in case it was about to struggle. (I was counting its PP haha)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game

Final team
Incineroar Lv 62
Braviary Lv 65
Lopunny Lv 61
Zoroark Lv 61
Lurantis Lv 62
Dugtrio Lv 60

Overall thoughts, this is probably the best Pokemon game.(obviously still have yet to play post game stuff but that will only improve how much i like it) Sun was my favorite before this so this is a modest improvement. Only main complaints is that the Necrozma stuff is way weaker storywise than what was in Sun and Moon. The finale of the story with Lusamine is so much better and interesting it's ridiculous. Liked the ending of the Elite 4 in this one better.

Also I'm watching the credits right now and that is also worse than the original. The really nice slideshow was great in the original and so was the music.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I've done it. I've finally done it.

I completed my living dex!

This is probably my greatest gaming accomplishment. It's been over 10 years in the making for me. I've got Pokémon dating back to Gen 3 in my dex. It wasn't really a goal until Gen 6, but I had been transferring stuff up each generation anyway. It's nice to see some of my history.

It's not a perfect living dex as I'm missing a lot of different forms, such as Unown. But I do have one of each officially released Pokémon now and that feels wonderful.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Team Rainbow Rocket defeated! That was really fantastic. Every single fight against the team leaders were really close. I ended Toxic cheesing every single legendary except Ghestis's. Though I probably didn't need to on Maxie's.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I forgot how much that was...

Like do you get to Seafolk Village before Necrozma other after?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Just False Swiping with Decidueye and then using Gengar to put it to sleep. Didn't have to worry about Take Down recoil since it can't hit Ghost types, and with Roto catch it only took about 5 tries till I caught it! Had a Master Ball ready in case it was about to struggle. (I was counting its PP haha)

Decidueye is a great catcher for this. Almost all recoil moves are Normal type.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay...I totally forgot what areas are what from S/M.

Thinking about Dhelmise or Mienfoo for my last spot.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Hau is an idiot, as I was teamed up with him during the Aether Foundation section and rather than use a super effective electric move on a pure water type, the numskull decides to use psychic instead and in another fight he decides to waste his grass z-move on a Pupitar when Fabia's Claydol was the bigger threat. ¬_¬;

I didn't have any problem when teaming up with Gladeon.

I also don't understand why the game keeps banging on how Hau is weaker than Hala when Hau must have defeated Hala in order to progress with his island challenge, the game story makes no sense.

Also after going back and forth I decided to retire Komala, as while he was a good Pokémon he didn't really offer much to the team and his slow speed and low defense was holding him back, so I decided to trade in Type:Null from my Moon version and use him instead.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I mean, that's pretty obvious. He's in the Elite Four in the first game. What kind of monster is going to battle a kid just starting out with a bunch of his best, and longest trained monsters in his roster?

"Welcome to the second battle of your island challenge. Now fight this level 60 Hariyama."

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I've done it. I've finally done it.

I completed my living dex!

This is probably my greatest gaming accomplishment. It's been over 10 years in the making for me. I've got Pokémon dating back to Gen 3 in my dex. It wasn't really a goal until Gen 6, but I had been transferring stuff up each generation anyway. It's nice to see some of my history.

It's not a perfect living dex as I'm missing a lot of different forms, such as Unown. But I do have one of each officially released Pokémon now and that feels wonderful.
Nice work! Gen 6 helped out a ton for completing the living dex. The most annoying for me were all those damn mythics (before the 20th year giveaways).

Ive also skipped several alt forms for mine. Some mons like Vivillon have way to many. And then there's the capped 'chu...

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Started legendary hunting yesterday. So far: Regice, Moltres, Uxie and Regigigas.

Looks like I'm getting the crappy ones out of the way first. Still mad that Regigigas is the UM exclusive while US gets Heatran.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Island 4 done.

Chandelure: Level 57
Zoroark: Level 52
Lycanroc: Level 55
Hawlucha: Level 56
Golisopod: Level 53
Gardevoir: Level 53

Well Isn't Island 4 a mixed bag of good changes and bad changes. Bad, why did you take away Lillie scene on Exeguttor Island? Good, Moving Hapu to the end of the Island was the right call, Good, the Kommo-o Totem is a lot trickier now, espicially with that Bullet Punch Scizor on his side to deal with fairies. Bad, you took out the Lusamine Mother Beast fight? Oh come on. Bad, Ultra Space with gyro controls is terrible. Bad, Necrozma feels forced into the plot at the cost of other characters arcs like Lillie and Lusamine. Bad, Ultraspace is literally just a Corridor, I feel cheated out of a cool city to explore. Good, the Necrozma fight is cool though, music is great, he may be a little too insane stats wise though. Zoroark was the MVP of the team here. Good, Ultra Space with Circle Pad is tolerable, and the hunt for legendaries (that can be shiny) should be fun. Good, Mina's Trial feels like those Paper Mario nostalgia tours without the annoying traversal between all the locations, and there's some fun matches here, Good, Rimbombee is a fun final totem, though I did get worried when it summoned the Blissey and started using Quiver Dance.

There's a fair bit of good things for Poni Island, but some changes that were probably left untouched from the original. Feels like we need a version that combines the best of both games, but I guess that's not going to happen for a long time. Now all that's left is the Elite 4 then it's on to the postgame.

Also Good, I caught a Shiny in Ultra Space, Bad: It's a super bad stated Alteria.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Island 4 done.

Chandelure: Level 57
Zoroark: Level 52
Lycanroc: Level 55
Hawlucha: Level 56
Golisopod: Level 53
Gardevoir: Level 53

Well Isn't Island 4 a mixed bag of good changes and bad changes. Bad, why did you take away Lillie scene on Exeguttor Island? Good, Moving Hapu to the end of the Island was the right call, Good, the Kommo-o Totem is a lot trickier now, espicially with that Bullet Punch Scizor on his side to deal with fairies. Bad, you took out the Lusamine Mother Beast fight? Oh come on. Bad, Ultra Space with gyro controls is terrible. Bad, Necrozma feels forced into the plot at the cost of other characters arcs like Lillie and Lusamine. Bad, Ultraspace is literally just a Corridor, I feel cheated out of a cool city to explore. Good, the Necrozma fight is cool though, music is great, he may be a little too insane stats wise though. Zoroark was the MVP of the team here. Good, Ultra Space with Circle Pad is tolerable, and the hunt for legendaries (that can be shiny) should be fun. Good, Mina's Trial feels like those Paper Mario nostalgia tours without the annoying traversal between all the locations, and there's some fun matches here, Good, Rimbombee is a fun final totem, though I did get worried when it summoned the Blissey and started using Quiver Dance.

There's a fair bit of good things for Poni Island, but some changes that were probably left untouched from the original. Feels like we need a version that combines the best of both games, but I guess that's not going to happen for a long time. Now all that's left is the Elite 4 then it's on to the postgame.

Also Good, I caught a Shiny in Ultra Space, Bad: It's a super bad stated Alteria.
You can go to the Game freak office in hea hea city and change the controls to circle pad instead of gyro controls. They don't tell you that you can do that. Agree with everything else you said though.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I managed to catch a shiny Medicham while going through the Ultra Space mini game for the first time during the main story. Is this an encounter that happens to everyone or was I just really lucky? Having it occur while in Ultra Space made me feel like it was a scripted encounter.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to catch a shiny Medicham while going through the Ultra Space mini game for the first time during the main story. Is this an encounter that happens to everyone or was I just really lucky? Having it occur while in Ultra Space made me feel like it was a scripted encounter.

It's not scripted, but shinies are very easy to find in Ultra Space.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Who at GameFreak thought it was a good idea to have Necrozma be such a high level and then have all of the important battles that follow be at lower levels? I got frustrated with Ultra Necrozma but eventually moved past it, but then seeing that all the following battles were at such pitiful levels made me even more frustrated. Did they not realise that most people would just grind their team to be higher than Ultra Necrozma? Because of that ridiculous grind I had to do in order to beat Necrozma my Primarina, and I think one or two other Pokemon, were actually in the 70s!